PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings---Week 3

JALMOND
September 16th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Last week a lot of teams off in the conference, not due to Ike but just was how the schedules were. That said, here is how this weeks power rankings played out. This week (last week)

1. Montana (2)---A convincing win at home against Southern Utah shows that this Griz team is not ready to give up the title just yet. A pro wrestler once said "To be the man, you've got to beat the man" and the Griz are still on top. This week, UC-Davis comes to Missoula to try to be the man. Will they succeed?

2. Eastern Washington (1)---A bye after a good two games against the Big 12. Still, two losses are two losses and the Eagles lost ground after the Griz win. Still, both are pretty equal so look for this for awhile, at least until 10-11. This week, an easier test as DII Western Washington comes calling.

3. Weber State (3)---A win over DII Dixie State still is not enough for the Wildcats to get some consideration from the top two. They should this week as they open the conference slate on the road at the upstart Sacramento State team. A good conference win on the road should give them a boost for the season.

4. Northern Arizona (4)---A bye week keeps the Jacks at four after winning over a DII and losing to the FBS. This week, the Jacks play against the FCS on the road at Southern Utah, a good test before conference play the next week.

5. Sacramento State (5)---After a close loss to FBS Colorado State the previous week, the Hornets could only muster a closer than expected win over NAIA Southern Oregon. Overlooking them to this week's conference opener against Weber State? Maybe the only reason.

6. Montana State (6)---So it wasn't quite as bad as last week, but the Bobcats still took a loss from FBS Minnesota. Someone notice a pattern as to where the Cats' focus is this nonconference season (Adams State Grizzlies, U of M Gophers). This week a bye to prepare for South Dakota.

7. Portland State (7)---Victimized by some bad breaks last week against UC-Davis, the Vikings ended up on the short end last week. This week, maybe better or maybe worse as they head on the road to face FBS Washington State, which has shown to be not the best team in the state of Washington (and maybe not the best team the Vikings will face from the state either).

8. Northern Colorado (8)---Last week the Bears had a bye, but their previous opponent, Purdue, whom the Bears stayed with until the third quarter, gave Oregon all the Ducks could handle. Has to make the Bears feel pretty good. This week has them keeping that feeling as they host Texas State.

9. Idaho State (9)---The Bengals took a bye last week to recover from their games with their bigger in state rivals Boise State and Idaho. This week, they jump right back in with a Thursday night game at home against North Dakota.

Only movers this week was at the top, but that might change this week. Good slate of games on tap should clear up some of the mess.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 16th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Looks good, I don't disagree with the switch of 1 and 2. It'll be interesting to see how UC-Davis matches up with the Griz. Who remains at the top if the Griz win by 7 or less, and EWU smothers WWU?

I Bleed Purple
September 16th, 2008, 01:38 AM
No complaints. We know the top three can move the ball. Can they stop people?

JALMOND
September 16th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Looks good, I don't disagree with the switch of 1 and 2. It'll be interesting to see how UC-Davis matches up with the Griz. Who remains at the top if the Griz win by 7 or less, and EWU smothers WWU?

Davis is actually a good test for the Griz. They were ahead in the final minute against both San Jose State and Central Arkansas so they could easily be 3-0 at this point. A good QB who does not make many mistakes, a strong running back and a stud defensive lineman could give the Griz fits all game. I'd be really surprised if the Griz beat them by more than two touchdowns even in Missoula.

A Griz win probably would keep them at the top regardless of the margin.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 16th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Davis is actually a good test for the Griz. They were ahead in the final minute against both San Jose State and Central Arkansas so they could easily be 3-0 at this point. A good QB who does not make many mistakes, a strong running back and a stud defensive lineman could give the Griz fits all game. I'd be really surprised if the Griz beat them by more than two touchdowns even in Missoula.

A Griz win probably would keep them at the top regardless of the margin.

Oh, I know UC-Davis is a quality team, and I know they can pull off the upset... it's just a matter of if the young Griz D shows up. I've got Montana pulling it out, 31-24.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 16th, 2008, 02:27 AM

I think we proved we can stop anybody if we keep our heads in the game after our foray into the Big 12. We even held the two powerful backs at CU to 90 yds rushing combined.

CopperCat
September 16th, 2008, 05:40 AM
With how much better MSU played against Minnesota and how close the Sac game was, I move MSU to #5 and Sac down to #6.

SactoHornetFan
September 16th, 2008, 08:42 AM

You forgot us as well...we are averaging over 400 yards in offense a game.

UNCBears2010
September 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM
After watching Purdue shred Oregon in the first half, I'll admit I'm feeling pretty good about the Bears defense.

Down with the Foe!
September 16th, 2008, 01:53 PM

The Griz Defense could end up being something pretty special, and really surprise a lot of people.

I predict it will be one of the best in the Big Sky

I'm just sayin'

xbowx xnodx xwhistlex

CatFan22
September 16th, 2008, 03:52 PM
With how much better MSU played against Minnesota and how close the Sac game was, I move MSU to #5 and Sac down to #6.

Agreed.

Green Laser
September 16th, 2008, 05:26 PM
The Southern Oregon game was never in doubt. Hornets were up 21-3 at the half. While the 27-16 final against a lower level team may not seem too impressive, 8 starters did not play including the starting qb and rb and the subs still had over 500 yards in offense. Our coaching staff used this game as a opportunity to give a lot of subs some game experience which will be a real plus for us down the road. Running up the score against a outmanned team was never the goal, even on the last series Sac used up the clock and took a knee on the SOU 12. Look forward to seeing the Cats in Sac on 10/25.

CopperCat
September 16th, 2008, 08:05 PM
The Southern Oregon game was never in doubt. Hornets were up 21-3 at the half. While the 27-16 final against a lower level team may not seem too impressive, 8 starters did not play including the starting qb and rb and the subs still had over 500 yards in offense. Our coaching staff used this game as a opportunity to give a lot of subs some game experience which will be a real plus for us down the road. Running up the score against a outmanned team was never the goal, even on the last series Sac used up the clock and took a knee on the SOU 12. Look forward to seeing the Cats in Sac on 10/25.

Sac played a DII team and won by 11. MSU played an FBS team and lost by 12, and played like they were an entirely different team. I still say Sac is #6, and I think that is reasonable. Give me a reason to think otherwise and I will.

JALMOND
September 16th, 2008, 11:11 PM
The Griz Defense could end up being something pretty special, and really surprise a lot of people.

I predict it will be one of the best in the Big Sky

I'm just sayin'

xbowx xnodx xwhistlex

Griz D has been pretty good for awhile, even way before Biermann set foot on campus.

JALMOND
September 16th, 2008, 11:19 PM

Hornet game really was never in doubt. Hornets controlled it from the start. Cats looked better against the Gophers than K-State but still was outmanned. Minnesota has had problems playing against the FCS (particularly North Dakota State) so I would have liked a better effort against them especially after the K-State game. Before the season, I had this as a possible upset for the Cats so I was looking for a closer game.

After the dust settled, I could not justify dropping Sac State and moving Montana State up, except maybe on past years accomplishments. My opinion only.

Green Laser
September 17th, 2008, 12:05 AM
The Cats have shown nothing so far this season, running up the score against a weak lower level Adams State team, getting blown out against Kansas State and managing to stay within 12 at Minn, the weakest team in the Big 10. By contrast the Hornets have beaten both of their lower level opponents by comfortable margins (both could have been wider margins if that had been the goal) and played even at Colorado State, leading most of the way before losing on a last minute field goal.
I hope that the Cats lick their wounds, enjoy the bye week, and enjoy their ranking, it will be the highest they will be this season!

UNCBears2010
September 17th, 2008, 01:04 AM
The Cats have shown nothing so far this season, running up the score against a weak lower level Adams State team, getting blown out against Kansas State and managing to stay within 12 at Minn, the weakest team in the Big 10. By contrast the Hornets have beaten both of their lower level opponents by comfortable margins (both could have been wider margins if that had been the goal) and played even at Colorado State, leading most of the way before losing on a last minute field goal.
I hope that the Cats lick their wounds, enjoy the bye week, and enjoy their ranking, it will be the highest they will be this season!

Yes, Colorado State is FBS, but they SUCK. General opinion of them is that they are outright lousy, and they're still overrated.

CopperCat
September 17th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Wow, a Sac fan talking trash?xeyebrowx xlolx

Wolfman
September 17th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Does the fact that the Cal Poly kicker missed essentially an extra point to give the Griz a win mean anything in your poll? No one can judge the Griz yet. We learned nothing last week about how good or bad they are. We will know after this Saturday, when they face a team who can compete against them.

Cal Poly will lose 3-4 games this year, just like they always do. They were over-hyped at the beginning of the season. They continue to play poor defense, which is what wins games.

EdubAlum
September 17th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Yes, Colorado State is FBS, but they SUCK. General opinion of them is that they are outright lousy, and they're still overrated.

agreed, but any win over an FBS school is a good win in my book, even a win over Idaho;-) that being said, Sac didn't win.

CrazyCat
September 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Just a few thoughts :)

I personally thought we would be 2-2 going into conference with hopes of an upset over Minnesota but as we found out, it was not last years gophers. The Cats had great improvement from the debacle that was Kansas State and I can promise even more against South Dakota.

Greenlaser, you give us crap for "running up the score" against Adams State yet claim "two comfortable" wins against a DII and an NAIA makes your team stronger?

Here is my simple opinion of the Big Sky so far.

Eastern and Montana are the two best teams in the Big Sky. Weber,Sac.St.,NAU,and MSU are tied for third. PSU,ISU,and UNC are fourth.

Until conference play is in full tilt, I don't see anything changing.

Wolfman
September 18th, 2008, 06:13 PM
EWU is by far the best team in the Big Sky. NAU is second. Montana Third. Weber fourth. This is how the final Big Sky standings will finish

Screamin_Eagle174
September 18th, 2008, 06:30 PM
EWU is by far the best team in the Big Sky. NAU is second. Montana Third. Weber fourth. This is how the final Big Sky standings will finish

Guess there's no need to play any more games. The great Wolfman has so wisely revealed his ... opinion?

Oh yeah, that's right. Nevermind. xcoffeex

Wolfman
September 18th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Guess there's no need to play any more games. The great Wolfman has so wisely revealed his ... opinion?

Oh yeah, that's right. Nevermind. xcoffeex

Whatever, Eagle Scat (certainly not scout)! I know football, and know that your team is two TDs better than Montana, my team. If you choose to join the "popular Griz posters", and have no backbone, then take your shots at me. I will be proven right on my predictions. But I know that you will not be around at that time to give me my due.

Oh well, I continue to provide meaningful insights, while you continue your drivel spewing. xeyebrowx

GrizFanIRAQ
September 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Whatever, Eagle Scat (certainly not scout)! I know football, and know that your team is two TDs better than Montana, my team. If you choose to join the "popular Griz posters", and have no backbone, then take your shots at me. I will be proven right on my predictions. But I know that you will not be around at that time to give me my due.
Oh well, I continue to provide meaningful insights, while you continue your drivel spewing. xeyebrowx

And just what rock are you gonna hide under when you are found to be wrong?

placidlakegriz
September 18th, 2008, 11:16 PM

So how have you done with your GRIZ perdictions so far this year, all knowing wolfboy. Didnt you have as getting our a$$ handed to us at Cal Poly and just bearly winning against Utah. You're 0-2 on those 2 games.

placidlakegriz
September 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM

Now thats funny.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 18th, 2008, 11:24 PM

See, that's the kind of BS I'm talking about. In one (of the many) threads you've started about BH, you start off by saying you want to discuss in a civil manner the issues you bring up without resorting to name calling, then you turn around and do just that. You bash on the Griz, then the next minute praise them and bash on Cal-Poly... a team that by all means should have won in SLO.

I've got plenty of backbone, that's why I'm calling you out on your BS. I never disagreed that EWU is better than the Griz this year. Nor have I said the Griz suck... it'll surely be one hell of a game Oct. 11. I'm just not going to incessantly spout conjectures based upon hateful feelings for a Coach. The only purpose your pretentious ramblings prove is how pompously shallow the facade you put on really is. Grow up, get a life, and for once, just enjoy some football, instead of whining like a little *****.

xtwocentsx

UNCBears2010
September 18th, 2008, 11:29 PM

Here's the list of teams that play in the state of Washington that I can difinitively say are two touchdowns better than Montana:

Seattle Seahawks

That's it.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 18th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Here's the list of teams that play in the state of Washington that I can difinitively say are two touchdowns better than Montana:

Seattle Seahawks

That's it.

Even then, it's cutting it close. It's ridiculous how many WR's we've gone through; Branch is still recovering, Engram is still recovering, Obomanu- IR w/ cracked clavicle, Burleson- IR w/ torn ACL/MCL, Payne- IR, Wallace- torn calf. Even the running game has been hit with Mo-mo out for a couple weeks with a bum knee. xsmhx

Screamin_Eagle174
September 18th, 2008, 11:39 PM

Seattle Seahawks

That's it.

Definitively being the keyword there. When EWU plays Montana, I think we'll win by 7-10. Could easily be more, could easily be less.

UNCBears2010
September 18th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Even then, it's cutting it close. It's ridiculous how many WR's we've gone through; Branch is still recovering, Engram is still recovering, Obomanu- IR w/ cracked clavicle, Burleson- IR w/ torn ACL/MCL, Payne- IR, Wallace- torn calf. Even the running game has been hit with Mo-mo out for a couple weeks with a bum knee. xsmhx

Yeah, but all of the guys they have left are professionals. I don't think there's a college team anywhere that could beat an NFL team. Not even USC over the Rams. The speed of the pro game is unreal compared to college.

UNCBears2010
September 18th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Definitively being the keyword there. When EWU plays Montana, I think we'll win by 7-10. Could easily be more, could easily be less.

Exactly, I think Washington or Wazzu could beat Montana by 20 on a given day, but Montana could beat either one of them on a given day. That's why I put definitively in there.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 18th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Yeah, but all of the guys they have left are professionals. I don't think there's a college team anywhere that could beat an NFL team. Not even USC over the Rams. The speed of the pro game is unreal compared to college.

I'd disagree. I think on a good day for USC and an average day for the current Rams, it could be done. They are God-awful! xlolx

At least Seattle gets to play them Sunday before getting a week off to heal/teach our young/new WRs the playbook.

UNCBears2010
September 18th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I'd disagree. I think on a good day for USC and an average day for the current Rams, it could be done. They are God-awful! xlolx

At least Seattle gets to play them Sunday before getting a week off to heal/teach our young/new WRs the playbook.

Actually I think if a college team was to beat a pro team, it would be someone like Texas Tech or Florida that has an offense the likes of which the pro coaches haven't seen before.

saccat
September 19th, 2008, 09:55 AM
MY GODDDD!!!! Now we are talking about the Friz being 2 touchdown dogs to the SEAHAWKS!!! They would be 21-30 point dogs to the Huskies. The SEAHAWKS would beat them by about 60-90. EWU I think is the best team in the Big Sky this year. UM is a close second (god that's hard for me to say). After that No-one has stepped up enough to show they truly belong there.

UNCBears2010
September 19th, 2008, 10:04 AM
MY GODDDD!!!! Now we are talking about the Friz being 2 touchdown dogs to the SEAHAWKS!!! They would be 21-30 point dogs to the Huskies. The SEAHAWKS would beat them by about 60-90. EWU I think is the best team in the Big Sky this year. UM is a close second (god that's hard for me to say). After that No-one has stepped up enough to show they truly belong there.

We're talking about the Seahawks being AT LEAST two touchdowns better than the Griz. I personally think the margin would be 50 or 60 between these two. People might view the Huskies as 21-30 point favorites against Montana, but I think a game between those two would be close.

Wolfman
September 19th, 2008, 12:27 PM
So how have you done with your GRIZ perdictions so far this year, all knowing wolfboy. Didnt you have as getting our a$$ handed to us at Cal Poly and just bearly winning against Utah. You're 0-2 on those 2 games.

Don't misquote me again, pea brain. I predicted a 24 point win for the Griz over Southern Utah Women's Academy. In fact, I questioned why we keep scheduling the worst FCS team in the nation.

I predicted a Cal Poly win in a close game, as did the majority of Griz fans, including Bobby Hauck, and including the national media.

You need to dummy-up and take care of your own fox hole, because your predictions will never be as accurate as mine. ;)

Wolfman
September 19th, 2008, 12:37 PM
See, that's the kind of BS I'm talking about. In one (of the many) threads you've started about BH, you start off by saying you want to discuss in a civil manner the issues you bring up without resorting to name calling, then you turn around and do just that. You bash on the Griz, then the next minute praise them and bash on Cal-Poly... a team that by all means should have won in SLO.

I've got plenty of backbone, that's why I'm calling you out on your BS. I never disagreed that EWU is better than the Griz this year. Nor have I said the Griz suck... it'll surely be one hell of a game Oct. 11. I'm just not going to incessantly spout conjectures based upon hateful feelings for a Coach. The only purpose your pretentious ramblings prove is how pompously shallow the facade you put on really is. Grow up, get a life, and for once, just enjoy some football, instead of whining like a little *****.

Awwww, did I hurt your wittle feelings calling you Eagle Scat? If you would stay out of Griz world, and stop playing in a sandbox where you don't belong, then you would not get dissed.

Your Eagles are the class of the Pig Sty conference this year. Enjoy it while you can. It may be different next year.

I am just honest about my team, and shortcomings of our coach. Get over it. One-n-done Bobby Hauck deserves every criticsm he receives. I feel VERY COMFORTABLE saying that the MAJORITY of Griz fans wish he were gone. The small sampling of support you see here are a handful of sugar coaters who populate these message boards, and get a woody by telling each other what a great fan they are, and blindly supporting everything and anything Bobby Hauck does, because they feel to criticize him means they are labled a "bad fan". In other words, many invertebrates reside here and on egriz.com Really, it's the same pin heads posting on both boards.

Well, these are NOT the silent majority of Griz fans who know Hauck has dummied down our program, as well as brought national disgrace to our program with his recruiting of criminals. The truth is hard to swallow for some, but Griz myopia is an epidemic on these message board. Thank God for the slient majority!!!!

xtwocentsx xrolleyesx

Screamin_Eagle174
September 19th, 2008, 02:00 PM
xrolleyesx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I love how you completely avoided almost everything I brought up, except of course your usual garbage spewing hate of Hauck and anyone who supports the Griz.

I'm done with you wolfboy. Trying to have a rational discussion with you is like giving money to a bum; sure, it seems like it's the right thing to do, but really all you're doing is putting 35 cents towards the purchase of another bottle of MD 20/20- GARBAGE. xoopsx

Grizaholic17
September 19th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Don't misquote me again, pea brain. I predicted a 24 point win for the Griz over Southern Utah Women's Academy. In fact, I questioned why we keep scheduling the worst FCS team in the nation.

I predicted a Cal Poly win in a close game, as did the majority of Griz fans, including Bobby Hauck, and including the national media.

You need to dummy-up and take care of your own fox hole, because your predictions will never be as accurate as mine. ;)

Well, as I recall, i think alot of FCS teams have them scheduled that are top of the mountain.

Aside from that, the rankings look good. MSU could pull out some surprises in Big Sky play. Expect a tight one with EWU @ MSU and Montana @ EWU. Can't wait for conference play!!!!