PDA

View Full Version : Hampton's Mathis Wins for Texans!

TexasTerror
October 30th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Jerome Mathis (Rookie, Hampton) was incredible...

Not only did he get the Texans' lone TD, his incredible kick returns put the Texans in the perfect place to get all of our FGs, including the game winner...

He's becoming a very popular player and each time he touches it, you think he could return it to the house...INCREDIBLE!

Wish they'd throw to him more often though because he has shown some play-making abilities. Next year, with Bradford gone, Mathis will be our #3 WR...

Oh yeah, TEXANS WIN! TEXANS WIN!

PIRATE1
October 30th, 2005, 11:02 PM
I am not understanding why he has not gotten playing time at receiver.
I know he can return. It is good to know he had a great game today. :nod:

TexasTerror
October 31st, 2005, 07:03 AM
I am not understanding why he has not gotten playing time at receiver. I know he can return. It is good to know he had a great game today. :nod:

He's not lining up at reciever due to his injuries. He'll get in a few plays, but I think they would rather him return than exert himself doing both considering he's had his fair share of injuries (hammy) and that's without Andre Johnson healthy...

Reed Rothchild
October 31st, 2005, 07:35 AM
Is his brother Rashean Mathis for the Jaguars. He is tearing it up too

Hamptongal
November 1st, 2005, 04:26 AM
Is his brother Rashean Mathis for the Jaguars. He is tearing it up too

MEAC brothers. :)

TexasTerror
November 2nd, 2005, 06:14 PM
More accolades for Jerome...

HOUSTON – The NFL has named Texans WR Jerome Mathis AFC Special Teams Player of the Week following the Texans first win of the season against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday at Reliant Stadium.

Mathis (5-11, 172) claimed the award by returning five kickoffs for 177 yards (35.4 yard average) against Cleveland. After struggling in the field position battle most of the season, Mathis ignited the Texans with an average drive start at their own 39-yard line. The Texans scored on two of Mathis’ kickoff returns including his game long of 63 yards in the fourth quarter to the Cleveland 40-yard line. Six plays later K Kris Brown nailed his fourth field goal of the day from 40 yards out to clinch the victory over the Browns 19-16.

Mathis, drafted in the fourth round from Hampton, missed both games in September. He returned to have a productive October that saw him finish second in the NFL with a 30.4-yard kickoff return average. His 759 yards are second in the NFL behind Kansas City’s Dante Hall.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=2127

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Front page love in the Houston Chronicle Sports Section...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3438049

R.A.
November 6th, 2005, 03:51 PM
MEAC brothers. :)

:D