PDA

View Full Version : Mt thoughts on Hofstra

Uncle Buck
September 15th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Oops, should be, MY thoughts.

I was looking for somewhere to comment about the game since this is my first time back on from Saturday night and didn't see another thread. It is a nice win for Albany and i congratulate them on not giving up. This Hofstra team however, they are about as undisciplined and poorly coached as i have ever seen in my 18 years of following this program.

Special teams are an abomination. Bad snap leads to a blocked XP, easy missed FG, then two low kicks blocked because our kicker can't clear the line of scrimmage.

Our QB drops a snap in the endzone for a safety, this after our All-Conference punt returner fair catches the ball on the 5 yard line.

Defense was out of position all night. Our defensive ends and outside backers consistently overpursued or were just in the wrong spot all night. This i put on the coaches because i swear it, some of these kids look like they have zero football smarts. Consistently taking bad angles, getting caught inside, not staying sqaure, they look like they don't drill any of the fundamentals.

Offensively we put up just over 400 yards and everytime you think we would get moving, our offensive coordinator goes into a shell. He refused to open up the playbook and all night seemed to want to play for FG's. 1 and 10 from the 15, first play we run is a dive to get the ball to the middle of the field. In fact, i don't think we tried to run off-tackle all night.

Bottom line, HU looks like horrible and the talent level while young, does not look promising. Between the missed kicks in regulation, all of which not too much to ask of a scholarship kicker, combined with the safety, we gave away 9 points. Just a horribe performance and honestly, i don't think we are capable of winning a game this season. The CAA will sweep us up, Stony Brook and Bucknell might be our only shot at a W. And even those games are no cakewalk for this team.

Oh, and not to forget this, but the 1st qtr ends and they have like a 5 minute break while some contest is going on. HU has the ball to stary the 2nd qtr. We come out onto the field, and HU is so f'ing confused, they have to burn a timeout after having almost 10 minutes to talk about it between qtrs. A very poor job by Cohen and company.

danefan
September 15th, 2008, 09:32 AM
OK, I didn't think Hofstra was that bad. I think your QB was pretty good.
There was some pretty bad playing calling and time management from your sideline though. Having to call a TO before the first snap of the quarter? That's just bad.

Albany did not play well though. UA couldn't effectively throw the ball and Hofstra put 9 guys in the box just about 90% of the time. McCarty is a beast and had a great game even with the defense stacked against him. What UA did in OT could have been done all game if could have established some kind of passing game.

UA was lucky to get out with a win. From 2:12 left in the third quarter until the end of the game the UA offense only ran 9 plays. Hofstra controlled the clock but just couldn't capitalize.

Horrendous officiating. I saw the worst call I've ever seen. Ever. Broken screen where the Albany QB threw the ball at the RB's feet. The ball landed less than a yard from the RB and they call intentional grounding. I've never seen that before. Horrendous.

Albany has to play much better than that to be in the game the next two weeks. They need to pass the ball better to get some heat off McCarty. Should be interesting.

Ruler
September 15th, 2008, 09:34 AM
A little perspective from an Albany fan. This game should have been 22-9 Albany, or it should of ended in regulation 16-9. You got a gift of an interferance call on 4th down down in he red zone and were able to get a fresh set of downs and tie the score. The refs for the most part gave every break to Hofstra. We threw a screen incomplete and got a flag for grounding???? The refs were awful and failed to control the game. i witnessed about 5 holds the HU made that went uncalled and a hguge pass interferance by HU in front of an official that also went uncalled.

About the game: The HU special teams were terrible I agree and I truley thought you guys would have more speed then you did on both sides of the ball. McCarty is a great back and those missed tackles are because he is a great back. BTW he is definatly on scholarship. It may be a half scholly but he is receiving at least a 1/2 ride. Probably a full one after this season.

I believe the difference in the game was our big Oline up front not HU coaching or player miscues. I believe they wore down HU. Which is why we were able to score on 5 running plays in a row gaining big yards each time in OT. On the bright side I think your QB is damn good! If your line can protect and your coaches allow him more freedom to run himself and pass(it seemed like your recs caught everything thrown to them) more often I believe you will be fine

We give 32 schollies to the CAAs 63. Can you imagine what Ford will do with a new stadium and 30 more schollies. Cmon CAA let us in!!!!

Good luck Hofstra you are certainly more classy then some of your fans with the "Albany Sucks" chants as well as a few other choice obsenities

Uncle Buck
September 15th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Ruler, if you think Albany should have won this game that easy then you really are off your rocker. The refs had bad calls go both ways, and the PI you site, the d-back stopped the receiver from finishing his route.

Bottom line, Hofstra lost this game because of poor coaching, players out of position and an offensive gameplan that was obviously aimed at trying to kick FG's. If we didn't self-destruct we run out the clock and you lose the game 16-14. Bad snap and we miss the XP and later our QB just dropped the snap in the endzone, not like he was pressured into it. That's three points we gave away. I'm sorry, but there is no way this should have been a 22-9 or 16-9 win.

I give all the props to Albany, but HU is bad. And yes, our student section was classless. Good luck the rest of the way.

danefan
September 15th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Ruler, if you think Albany should have won this game that easy then you really are off your rocker. The refs had bad calls go both ways, and the PI you site, the d-back stopped the receiver from finishing his route.

Bottom line, Hofstra lost this game because of poor coaching, players out of position and an offensive gameplan that was obviously aimed at trying to kick FG's. If we didn't self-destruct we run out the clock and you lose the game 16-14. Bad snap and we miss the XP and later our QB just dropped the snap in the endzone, not like he was pressured into it. That's three points we gave away. I'm sorry, but there is no way this should have been a 22-9 or 16-9 win.

I give all the props to Albany, but HU is bad. And yes, our student section was classless. Good luck the rest of the way.

UB, I gotta go with Ruler here. Maybe a different view at the game gives you a different perspective, and I'm sure being fans of opposite teams also lends to that, but I also think Albany could have and should have won by a much larger margin. There were 3 major plays that kept Hofstra in it: (1) the opening kickoff return, (2) the pass intereference call in the endzone (judgment call so what can you do), (3) Ford declining a penalty that gave you a 3rd and 6 instead of a 2nd and long.

The refs were poor both ways, but we were obviously wearing "purple and gold colored" glasses and saw many more missed calls and bad calls against Albany then the other way around.

Overall, I don't think Hofstra is as bad as you paint them to be. Like I said above, I think your QB is actually pretty good.

WrenFGun
September 15th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Congratulations to Albany on the win. I remember reading a lot of posts thinking this was their best shot at beating the CAA, so I'm happy the AEast brethren were able to do that.

Looking forward to seeing you in Durham this weekend.

danefan
September 15th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Congratulations to Albany on the win. I remember reading a lot of posts thinking this was their best shot at beating the CAA, so I'm happy the AEast brethren were able to do that.

Looking forward to seeing you in Durham this weekend.

I'm very nervous about this weekend. I hope the Danes can make it a decent game.xthumbsupx

DetroitFlyer
September 15th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I'm very nervous about this weekend. I hope the Danes can make it a decent game.xthumbsupx

Heck, Rhode Island hung with them, no reason at all that Albany cannot make a game of this one and maybe even win! Albany really needs to find a QB that can throw the ball. If you had a more balanced offense, you would be scary.... Oh well, I guess you can say that about alot of FCS teams, including the 2008 Flyers.

danefan
September 15th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Heck, Rhode Island hung with them, no reason at all that Albany cannot make a game of this one and maybe even win! Albany really needs to find a QB that can throw the ball. If you had a more balanced offense, you would be scary.... Oh well, I guess you can say that about alot of FCS teams, including the 2008 Flyers.

Good win by the Flyers this weekend too!

Albany hasn't had a balanced attack since.....well.....ever.xlolx

I mean I think I had more handoffs then passing yards when I played.xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
September 15th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Oops, should be, MY thoughts.

I was looking for somewhere to comment about the game since this is my first time back on from Saturday night and didn't see another thread. It is a nice win for Albany and i congratulate them on not giving up. This Hofstra team however, they are about as undisciplined and poorly coached as i have ever seen in my 18 years of following this program.

Special teams are an abomination. Bad snap leads to a blocked XP, easy missed FG, then two low kicks blocked because our kicker can't clear the line of scrimmage.

Our QB drops a snap in the endzone for a safety, this after our All-Conference punt returner fair catches the ball on the 5 yard line.

Defense was out of position all night. Our defensive ends and outside backers consistently overpursued or were just in the wrong spot all night. This i put on the coaches because i swear it, some of these kids look like they have zero football smarts. Consistently taking bad angles, getting caught inside, not staying sqaure, they look like they don't drill any of the fundamentals.

Offensively we put up just over 400 yards and everytime you think we would get moving, our offensive coordinator goes into a shell. He refused to open up the playbook and all night seemed to want to play for FG's. 1 and 10 from the 15, first play we run is a dive to get the ball to the middle of the field. In fact, i don't think we tried to run off-tackle all night.

Bottom line, HU looks like horrible and the talent level while young, does not look promising. Between the missed kicks in regulation, all of which not too much to ask of a scholarship kicker, combined with the safety, we gave away 9 points. Just a horribe performance and honestly, i don't think we are capable of winning a game this season. The CAA will sweep us up, Stony Brook and Bucknell might be our only shot at a W. And even those games are no cakewalk for this team.

Oh, and not to forget this, but the 1st qtr ends and they have like a 5 minute break while some contest is going on. HU has the ball to stary the 2nd qtr. We come out onto the field, and HU is so f'ing confused, they have to burn a timeout after having almost 10 minutes to talk about it between qtrs. A very poor job by Cohen and company.

Uncle Buck, as I was reading your post I couldn't help but ask myself when Stowers ended up going to Hofstra.

It sounds like we've got a chance to win this one. Rizzi is doing a good job but he's cleaning up a messy program that was left to him by Stowers and staff. Last week our offense played well but our D didn't show up. The week before was just the opposite. Hopefully BOTH sides of the ball bring their game this week and our special teams improves on kickoffs.

This may be a battle to see who avoids the CAA basement, which means it might just be a decent game.

Umass74
September 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I don't think losing to Albany is a disgrace. I thought their running game with that kid McCarthy was excellent. They are most definitely no pushovers.

And I would really not want to deal with them on a bad weather game.

Uncle Buck
September 15th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Uncle Buck, as I was reading your post I couldn't help but ask myself when Stowers ended up going to Hofstra.

It sounds like we've got a chance to win this one. Rizzi is doing a good job but he's cleaning up a messy program that was left to him by Stowers and staff. Last week our offense played well but our D didn't show up. The week before was just the opposite. Hopefully BOTH sides of the ball bring their game this week and our special teams improves on kickoffs.

This may be a battle to see who avoids the CAA basement, which means it might just be a decent game.

You guys definitely have the edge. We have so many things that need fixing, like a said, we may not win a CAA game all season.

Uncle Buck
September 15th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I don't think losing to Albany is a disgrace. I thought their running game with that kid McCarthy was excellent. They are most definitely no pushovers.

And I would really not want to deal with them on a bad weather game.

Trust me, i'm not trying to discount Albany's win against us or say that it's an embarrassment to lose to them. I picked them on the CAA site as the favorite coming into the game. They played hard the entire game and pulled it out. However, IMO this was a game that we could have scored a lot more despite our mental breakdowns and coaching brainfarts. We just didn't get it done. While we did put up just over 400 yards of offense, our coordinator went into a shell everytime we got on their side of the field.

Again, all the credit in the world to the Albany kids, they played hard and got the W.

Bull Fan
September 15th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Hofstra coached themselves into a loss this weekend, and the execution was poor on special teams. When the offense is being run by a clown, and the special teams kill you, the defense has no chance to win it on their own.

The team has some athletes, but they're being wasted by a bad coach and an even lamer coaching staff.

Makes you wonder, are they here trying to build a program, or are they only passing time until they can move onto more lucrative positions elsewhere in the game? I certainly don't mean HC jobs, just higher-paying jobs....

danefan
September 15th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Hofstra coached themselves into a loss this weekend, and the execution was poor on special teams. When the offense is being run by a clown, and the special teams kill you, the defense has no chance to win it on their own.

The team has some athletes, but they're being wasted by a bad coach and an even lamer coaching staff.

Makes you wonder, are they here trying to build a program, or are they only passing time until they can move onto more lucrative positions elsewhere in the game? I certainly don't mean HC jobs, just higher-paying jobs....

Seemed to me like a lot of untapped talent on Hofstra.xtwocentsx

Uncle Buck
September 15th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Seemed to me like a lot of untapped talent on Hofstra.xtwocentsx

Exactly. Our QB that we were worried about looks good IMO. The slant passes, all two of them that we ran during the game and completed, why didn't we ever use them. Why didn't we ever throw a jump ball to our 6'5" receiver. I could go on and on, the team was not prepared and the coaches playcalling was baffling at times to say the least.

As for the defense, they played well enough to win, but i would love to count how many missed tackles they had. What a disgrace. xsmhx

Seawolf97
September 15th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Uncle Buck dont be too harsh on the Pride. I listened to Stonybrook unravel against Maine last Saturday night. We have lost a few games but that had to be the worst game they played in the last 5 years. The only bright spot was Luke Gaddis kicking two FG's and the PAT. Both the defense and offense just fell apart. Missed tackles, dropped passes and our O line just let Maine pour in. If we drop our game agaisnt Brown this Saturday we are in trouble when we begin conference play. Im still not sold on our new QB - a Josh Dudash he is not. Our game the 26th should be interesting especially since we are racking injuries now also.
Congratualtions to Albany by the way! I thought they could win this one .

Cobblestone
September 16th, 2008, 06:14 AM
You guys definitely have the edge. We have so many things that need fixing, like a said, we may not win a CAA game all season.

If we have the edge it is because of Rizzi. If we still had Stowers we'd be pitching the ball back and losing yardage while our QB takes a pounding. I'm glad those days are over.

Hey MR.C! How about another red square since I slammed Stowers again. Seriously, what exactly do you get for all this Stowers butt smooching that you do? BTW, I also don't miss his goofball kid standing on the sidelines with his helmet off looking in the stands for his buddies. With Rizzi our team is disciplined. So go ahead and red square my other butt cheek.

GO COACH RIZZI!