PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League - Week 1

YaleFootballFan
September 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Finally, the Ivy League season is upon us. The season kicks off Friday night at Harvard Stadium.

Friday, September 19th
Holy Cross at HARVARD, 7 pm

Saturday, September 20th
Stony Brook at BROWN, 12:30 pm
Fordham at COLUMBIA, 12:30 pm
Georgetown at YALE, 12:30 pm
DARTMOUTH at Colgate, 1:00 pm
PRINCETON at The Citadel, 1:00 pm
Villanova at PENN, 3:30 pm
CORNELL at Bucknell, 6:00 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK - Holy Cross at Harvard - Arguably the best team in the Ivy meets the best team from the PL under the lights in Cambridge.

DUD OF THE WEEK - Cornell at Bucknell - Too bad this wasn't basketball otherwise this would be a pretty decent matchup.

PREDICTIONS - Harvard, Brown, Fordham, Yale, Colgate, The Citadel, Villanova and Cornell all victorious this weekend.

Ivytalk
September 14th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Finally, the Ivy League season is upon us. The season kicks off Friday night at Harvard Stadium.

Friday, September 19th
Holy Cross at HARVARD, 7 pm

Saturday, September 20th
Stony Brook at BROWN, 12:30 pm
Fordham at COLUMBIA, 12:30 pm
Georgetown at YALE, 12:30 pm
DARTMOUTH at Colgate, 1:00 pm
PRINCETON at The Citadel, 1:00 pm
Villanova at PENN, 3:30 pm
CORNELL at Bucknell, 6:00 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK - Holy Cross at Harvard - Arguably the best team in the Ivy meets the best team from the PL under the lights in Cambridge.

DUD OF THE WEEK - Cornell at Bucknell - Too bad this wasn't basketball otherwise this would be a pretty decent matchup.

PREDICTIONS - Harvard, Brown, Fordham, Yale, Colgate, The Citadel, Villanova and Cornell all victorious this weekend.

Good picks, IMHO. I'll pick Dartmouth to upset Colgate, however.

DSUrocks07
September 14th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Finally...

xnodx

bonarae
September 15th, 2008, 06:36 AM

Finally! At last! Great choice for the Game of the Week. Two fifth-year QBs for us versus a Payton candidate, that's going to be great!

I agree with the pics though. xnodx

Seawolf97
September 15th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I cant argue with the Brown- Stonybrook pick. If we play like we did against Maine - the Brown Bears will feast on us. But the good news we get 3 more tries after this year! Good luck to all the Ivy Teams this weekend. It is good to play against an Ivy Teamxthumbsupx

Redwyn
September 16th, 2008, 08:25 AM
What happened to Stony Brook during last week? I was listening to the radio broadcast and they seemed so confident during that first drive, then lost it.

Seawolf, were you at the game?

ngineer
September 16th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Good picks, IMHO. I'll pick Dartmouth to upset Colgate, however.

Agreed, there. CU may well be down emotionally after being routed by Furman. Plus, Dartmouth has had time to prepare and watch a lot of film of Colgate.

ngineer
September 16th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I think the Princeton-The Citadel match up could be very interesting. With The Citadel being touted as one of "the" new powers in the SoCon, it would be good for all us 'non-scholarship schools' to see the Tigers take it to the Bulldogs.xnodx

bulldog10jw
September 17th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Yale still not decided on who will be the QB (Does a 2 QB systen ever work?)

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2008/09/17/sports/17_yale_fb.txt

While Fodor is eager to make his first career start when Yale plays host to Georgetown (1-1) Saturday at 12:30 p.m., he will have to share the spotlight with sophomore Brook Hart as the two quarterbacks will split time.

“I met with them after the meeting (Tuesday morning) and kind of ran the whole thing by them,” Yale coach Jack Siedlecki said. “It’s been very good. I think it has stepped up the quality of our practices. It has been a healthy competition. It has in no way been a negative, and I think the players reacted to it in the right way. I think when it first came around, I was concerned, everybody was concerned how the whole thing would shake out. I think it has been a positive for everybody involved.”

LBPop
September 18th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Yale still not decided on who will be the QB (Does a 2 QB systen ever work?)

If Yale does go with a two QB system, there will be four "starting" QBs in New Haven this Saturday. If you're gonna be at the game, buy a program. xnodx

Hoyadestroya85
September 18th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Penn shall be royally dumped on... it won't even be close at half time
which brings me to my next question....
What happens when a Penn Student with an erection walks into a wall?

Ivytalk
September 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Penn shall be royally dumped on... it won't even be close at half time
which brings me to my next question....
What happens when a Penn Student with an erection walks into a wall?

He gets a free bris?:p

I give up. What?

Hoyadestroya85
September 18th, 2008, 03:47 PM
he breaks his nose

Tod
September 18th, 2008, 03:50 PM
he breaks his nose

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Rep points! xnodx xnodx xnodx

Redwyn
September 18th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Brilliant....just brilliant :)

Seawolf97
September 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Rep Points that was good!

Hoyadestroya85
September 18th, 2008, 08:30 PM
yeah.. they call us a safety school.. so we call them jewish

Ivytalk
September 18th, 2008, 09:14 PM

So I was close with the bris thing!xnodx

Hoyadestroya85
September 18th, 2008, 11:39 PM
not far off at all..

crusader11
September 19th, 2008, 12:37 AM

It's okay then for Holy Cross to call 'Nova a safety school then, right? At least we can't be called jewish....

Hoyadestroya85
September 19th, 2008, 01:40 AM
It's okay then for Holy Cross to call 'Nova a safety school then, right? At least we can't be called jewish....

if that happens we'll just call you *********ters :p xlolx

CID1990
September 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I think the Princeton-The Citadel match up could be very interesting. With The Citadel being touted as one of "the" new powers in the SoCon, it would be good for all us 'non-scholarship schools' to see the Tigers take it to the Bulldogs.xnodx

Not going to happen. It is going to be a bloodletting of the 4 TD variety. That being said, Princeton will likely score around 28 points.

citdog
September 19th, 2008, 08:34 AM

My Cadets are going to go through the yankee scum from jersey like **** through a goose!

citdog
September 19th, 2008, 08:35 AM

nice post.......himmler

citdog
September 19th, 2008, 08:35 AM

wow.....do y'all pass out swastika armbands when they tear your ticket?

Go...gate
September 19th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Not going to happen. It is going to be a bloodletting of the 4 TD variety. That being said, Princeton will likely score around 28 points.

How do you figure? Your defense seems OK.

Princeton is kinda rebuilding on both sides of the ball. They have fallen a bit since winning the Ivy in 2006.

I'm thinking something like a 30-14 score in Citadel's favor.

Go...gate
September 19th, 2008, 10:18 AM
yeah.. they call us a safety school.. so we call them Jewish

Sounds like Columbia-Fordham a few years ago. xsmhx xnonono2x

Hoyadestroya85
September 19th, 2008, 11:05 AM
nice post.......himmler

i think its a fair trade off

which reminds me of another joke...
How do you keep a Citadel football player off your lawn?

Ivytalk
September 19th, 2008, 11:15 AM

I predict that, within 10 years, HC will have a president named Schwartz.

Patrick Finnerty O'Flaherty Schwartz, S.J.

ngineer
September 19th, 2008, 09:40 PM
My Cadets are going to go through the yankee scum from jersey like **** through a goose!

Oh, I'm picking The Bulldogs to win, just wishful thinking that the Black and Orange stripes can pull the upset. BTW, Princeton may have a few 'Southern Gentlemen' on their roster. The Citadel-38 Princeton-21.

bulldog10jw
September 19th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Oh, I'm picking The Bulldogs to win

Thanks. ;) xlolx

YaleFootballFan
September 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Harvard rallies to beat Holy Cross tonight 25-24. The Crimson score two late TDs to win the game.

Attendance - 20,462 at Harvard Stadium

bulldog10jw
September 19th, 2008, 10:05 PM

Pretty good crowd. Must have had quite a few Crusader fans brave that long, long, trip from Worcester.

98hoya
September 19th, 2008, 10:29 PM
he breaks his nose

I'm not sure what makes you think anti-Semitic jokes are either appropriate or funny, but I think we can all understand the subtext. Shame on you.

98hoya
September 19th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I predict that, within 10 years, HC will have a president named Schwartz.

Patrick Finnerty O'Flaherty Schwartz, S.J.

I'm not sure what this means. Explain.

Hoyadestroya85
September 19th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure what makes you think anti-Semitic jokes are either appropriate or funny, but I think we can all understand the subtext. Shame on you.

its all in good fun.. and it was not meant to be veiled at all.. so shame on you

98hoya
September 19th, 2008, 10:36 PM
its all in good fun.. and it was not meant to be veiled at all.. so shame on you

Is that right? The jokes about all the Jews at UPenn and their big noses are in good fun? Man, you've got quite a sense of humor.

bulldog10jw
September 19th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Is that right? The jokes about all the Jews at UPenn and their big noses are in good fun? Man, you've got quite a sense of humor.

Lighten up. xpeacex

I took it as a commentary on their small d!cks.

98hoya
September 19th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Lighten up. xpeacex

Good one. Now go f#ck yourself.

bulldog10jw
September 19th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Good one. Now go f#ck yourself.

By the way. Welcome. xthumbsupx

98hoya
September 19th, 2008, 10:45 PM
By the way. Welcome. xthumbsupx

F#ck you, bigot.

bulldog10jw
September 19th, 2008, 10:47 PM
F#ck you, bigot.

xthumbsupx

Harvard Worship
September 20th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Harvard rallies to beat Holy Cross tonight 25-24. The Crimson score two late TDs to win the game.

Glad so many folks showed up for a great game, but I really hope they don't do any more of this Friday night stuff... I mean, ever since we invented the sport 130-something years ago, football has been a saturday-at-noon engagement. It ought to stay that way. Blind tradition should be unquestionable. Except for Ivys in the playoffs... we can change that.

Good luck to the rest of the Ivys tomorrow!

Ivytalk
September 20th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Lighten up. xpeacex

Me too!xthumbsupx

Fordham
September 20th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Sounds like Columbia-Fordham a few years ago. xsmhx xnonono2x
? xconfusedx you're referring to the Andy Hao incident or something else?

Ivytalk
September 20th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Glad so many folks showed up for a great game, but I really hope they don't do any more of this Friday night stuff... I mean, ever since we invented the sport 130-something years ago, football has been a saturday-at-noon engagement. It ought to stay that way. Blind tradition should be unquestionable. Except for Ivys in the playoffs... we can change that.

Good luck to the rest of the Ivys tomorrow!

I take your point, HW, but that was the biggest non-Yale crowd at The Stadium in a long time. In fact, last year's Saturday night game against Brown drew the biggest crowd of the year. Night games put butts in the seats!xthumbsupx

Harvard Worship
September 20th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Night games put butts in the seats!xthumbsupx

Yeah, you're right. But Saturday night (like the Brown game last year) would be much better than Friday night. Just doesn't feel right to listen to Harvard football on a Friday.

danefan
September 20th, 2008, 06:53 PM
you smart guys sure are hostile.

Go...gate
September 20th, 2008, 07:57 PM
? xconfusedx you're referring to the Andy Hao incident or something else?

Yes.

otto4pres
September 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
xcoffeex

ngineer
September 20th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Ivy League acquitted themselves very well. Harvard pulled out a one point win over one of the Patriot favorites. Columbia gave Fordham a scare, Dartmouth showed life against Colgate and Yale trounced what some people thought was an improved Georgetown defense, 47-7. However, the real eye-openers were Penn's tough overtime loss to Villanova and Princeton's hard fought loss at The Citadel. Tigers had the Bulldogs on the ropes but couldn't close the deal. While I have always disagreed that there are 'good losses', these results certainly show that there will be some great competition this year.xnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 20th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Ivy League acquitted themselves very well. Harvard pulled out a one point win over one of the Patriot favorites. Columbia gave Fordham a scare, Dartmouth showed life against Colgate and Yale trounced what some people thought was an improved Georgetown defense, 47-7. However, the real eye-openers were Penn's tough overtime loss to Villanova and Princeton's hard fought loss at The Citadel. Tigers had the Bulldogs on the ropes but couldn't close the deal. While I have always disagreed that there are 'good losses', these results certainly show that there will be some great competition this year.xnodx

I watched the entire 'Nova-Penn game. The Quakers were the physical equal of 'Nova unlike Lehigh last week. Penn had a chance to go for the win late in the game but Bagnoli called a horrible 4th and 2 play from the 'Nova 45 that lost 15 yards. Villanova is also going to have a QB controversy after today's win. Young was erratic all day and the way he carried himself at the end looked like a guy who was at odds with either his coach or his fellow teamates. Based on what i've seen out of 'Nova they are going to get smoked by Richmond next week. Any Lehigh fans who believe they lost to the '85 Bears last week needs a reality check and it will probably come next week against Princeton.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 20th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Double post, AGS seems to be having server issues.....

DetroitFlyer
September 21st, 2008, 09:41 AM
Shouldn't all of these comments be started with "the non-scholarship Ivy League"....

CID1990
September 21st, 2008, 09:56 AM

If football games cosisted of only the first half, then yes, you are correct. They had us on the ropes.

However, I would not consider a 30-7 score in the second half as having us on the ropes. The Dogs were the flattest they have been all season in the first half. We also likely overlooked the Tigers coming into the game.

YaleFootballFan
September 21st, 2008, 12:53 PM

Looks like I was right with all my predictions. :D

Attendance around the league yesterday....

Georgetown at Yale - 12,771
Villanova at Penn - 14,758
Stony Brook at Brown - 3,652
Fordham at Columbia - 2,304

BTW, the Fordham/Columbia game was mentioned on ESPN Game Day yesterday. They called it the "Battle of New York."

bulldog10jw
September 21st, 2008, 01:10 PM
Looks like I was right with all my predictions. :D

Good job. xthumbsupx