PDA

View Full Version : G-W Wins On The Road

Thumper250
September 13th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Just got a call from a good friend. Gardner-Webb topped Austin Peay 31-15 on the road tonight. I had to go to a wedding (booooooo).

But good win. Defense has played well so far in 2008 and the O must be coming around.

snakeeyes
September 14th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Great win on the road. The O-line was great, looks like the O-Line coach is finally getting through to these guys. Defense stepped up - keep up the good work.

TexasTerror
September 14th, 2008, 07:04 AM
G-W is going to have a whale of a time against SHSU in a few weeks. A very intriguing match-up awaits!

snakeeyes
September 14th, 2008, 08:02 AM
SHSU, don't get too tired with the trip.

TexasTerror
September 14th, 2008, 08:20 AM
SHSU, don't get too tired with the trip.

It's not too much of a schlep...they'll get their legs stretched out in time to run the ball all over the field. Can't say I've been mightily impressed with the Bulldogs results...and I'm less concerned about this game than I was a few weeks ago...

GWebbinIt
September 14th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Listened to the game last night, and it was the first time in some while that I thought we played well. Wasn't one of those games that the opponent can be said to have handed the contest to us. We weren't perfect, but I think even AP would have to admit that we seemed the better team, at least for last night.

Good luck to SHSU next week. I'll be rooting for you against Kansas.

appfan2008
September 14th, 2008, 09:07 AM
congratulations GW... good luck with your season...

justsaying
September 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM
It's not too much of a schlep...they'll get their legs stretched out in time to run the ball all over the field. Can't say I've been mightily impressed with the Bulldogs results...and I'm less concerned about this game than I was a few weeks ago...

I can't say I've been impressed with Sam Houston either.... They have played only one game, against a very weak division 2 school with 0 wins.

The fact is, don't think you can just show up and win... bottom line, Gardner-Webb Total defense, and Rushing defense is one of the best in the country, and this is for the second year straight. Running the ball all over the field is NOT LIKELY!!!!! If thats your gameplan, its going to be a long trip home...xbawlingx

furman94
September 14th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Why were you playing at AP?

snakeeyes
September 14th, 2008, 01:17 PM
It's about time somebody talking about G-W Dogs. Don't count them out.

TexasTerror
September 14th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I can't say I've been impressed with Sam Houston either.... They have played only one game, against a very weak division 2 school with 0 wins.

We carry a six-game winning streak against non-FBS opponents into our game against Gardner-Webb. Our team probably won't give you much to impress them as we are playing an FBS squad.

Can't recall any of the teams you have played being well-recognized for FCS success and while I do have high regard for a few of your players, your track record from last year and this does not provide me with anything to believe that G-Webb will convincingly beat SHSU.

It's truly a pick'em or in SHSU's favor (despite it being on the road) looking at the pre-game odds, no matter how you break it down...

The fact is, don't think you can just show up and win... bottom line, Gardner-Webb Total defense, and Rushing defense is one of the best in the country, and this is for the second year straight. Running the ball all over the field is NOT LIKELY!!!!! If thats your gameplan, its going to be a long trip home...xbawlingx

We can't just walk in anywhere and get a win. This is football after all, but I think the ball is in our court with the pressure being on G-Webb to make a statement against a team that is thought of well enough to be on the verge of the top 25.

And we are not known as a running team, with our OC having overseen most of the top passing performances in SLC history. If we find a way to put over 150 yards on the ground against the Bulldogs, odds are pretty good we win the game.

Thumper250
September 14th, 2008, 04:37 PM
As much of a homer as I am, I don't see G-W pulling out a win against Sam Houston in two weeks ... but we can hope :).

A bit about Gardner-Webb from former coaches who keep in touch. They are very good at linebacker, even with Mario Brown out for the last two weeks, which I wasn't aware he'd missed any time. All three or four guys can cover, and tackle. Very fast group.

The secondary is physical, particularly at corner, with both guys around 190 pounds and near six feet or a tad taller with hops. Apparently the safeties played very well on Saturday at APSU, but that game should've been a GWU win all the way anyhow.

The D-Line has been a pleasant surprise. Not one standout, like last year with Johnston (KC Chiefs), but deeper and more active as a group. They're an experienced group on defense and seem a ton more comfortable in the scheme in 2008, as opposed to last year when it was brand new. We won't talk about 2006 when they gave up nearly 450 yards per game with the same talent as young guys.

I know SHSU is considerably better than Southeast Louisiana, which GWU handled in Boiling Springs with a mediocre team in 2004 and beat with another average team in 2006 in Hammond with some fortunate bounces. Regardless, if GWU can continue to force turnovers and score some points and continue to run the football with decent success, it will be a competitive game. If not, the Kats will send the GWU faithful home early.

I'm excited to see a guy like Rhett Bomar play if I can get over there in two weeks. He'll be the second former Oklahoma quarterback to play in Spangler Stadium. Semi old timers will remember when former OU QB Charles Thompson played running back in the NAIA nat'l title game for Central State in 1992 against the Doggies. What a game that was.

Thumper250
September 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Joe Pizzo's offense is also starting to come around as the O-Line gets a little more in tune this year. They've got to very fast guys to throw at in Dobson Collins and Trey Perry. Very fast. Never met the guy, but I know Pizzo can call plays with the best.

OLDLCOACH111
September 14th, 2008, 05:07 PM
As much of a homer as I am, I don't see G-W pulling out a win against Sam Houston in two weeks ... but we can hope :).

A bit about Gardner-Webb from former coaches who keep in touch. They are very good at linebacker, even with Mario Brown out for the last two weeks, which I wasn't aware he'd missed any time. All three or four guys can cover, and tackle. Very fast group.

The secondary is physical, particularly at corner, with both guys around 190 pounds and near six feet or a tad taller with hops. Apparently the safeties played very well on Saturday at APSU, but that game should've been a GWU win all the way anyhow.

The D-Line has been a pleasant surprise. Not one standout, like last year with Johnston (KC Chiefs), but deeper and more active as a group. They're an experienced group on defense and seem a ton more comfortable in the scheme in 2008, as opposed to last year when it was brand new. We won't talk about 2006 when they gave up nearly 450 yards per game with the same talent as young guys.

I know SHSU is considerably better than Southeast Louisiana, which GWU handled in Boiling Springs with a mediocre team in 2004 and beat with another average team in 2006 in Hammond with some fortunate bounces. Regardless, if GWU can continue to force turnovers and score some points and continue to run the football with decent success, it will be a competitive game. If not, the Kats will send the GWU faithful home early.

I'm excited to see a guy like Rhett Bomar play if I can get over there in two weeks. He'll be the second former Oklahoma quarterback to play in Spangler Stadium. Semi old timers will remember when former OU QB Charles Thompson played running back in the NAIA nat'l title game for Central State in 1992 against the Doggies. What a game that was.

GW D-line has indeed impressed me so far.. They don't have the size of many other teams, but they are quick, agile and uses it to their advantage... They do what the majority of teams have done these days, which is have a constant rotation to keep their guys fresh... Not considering Johnston, this group has been a major upgrade from last year..