PDA

View Full Version : NDSU @ Wyoming game THREAD

X-Factor
September 13th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I think we need an official game thread for this one.

Good guys up 10-0 at the half.

NDSU has 3 sacks on the Wyo QB

X-Factor
September 13th, 2008, 03:21 PM
191 yards at the half for Bison

78 for Wyo

Thundar
September 13th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Cyrus Lemmon out, Tyler Roehl Out again, those are my biggest concerns, but our Depth is sweet the underclassmen have really stepped up, this team is DEEP!!

Drblankstare
September 13th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Both sides of the line really sound like they are getting the job done. If that continues we should have a good outcome

MaximumBobcat
September 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I'm a Cowboy fan (born in Wyo), but their offense is just horrible this year. THEY HAVEN'T SCORED A TOUCHDOWN IN THEIR LAST SIX QUARTERS PLAYED.

Thundar
September 13th, 2008, 03:38 PM
MONSTER PASS TO HECKENDORF to WYO 15 yd line 60 yd. pass!!!!!!!!!!

UNHWildCats
September 13th, 2008, 03:40 PM
theres already a thread :p

Thundar
September 13th, 2008, 03:41 PM
FG BISON!!!!! 13-0 Start of 3rd

Thundar
September 13th, 2008, 03:48 PM
TD Wyo 13-7 NDSU 8mn left in the 3rd

MaximumBobcat
September 13th, 2008, 03:48 PM
13-7 NDSU

OB55
September 13th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Wyo in the red zone.

OB55
September 13th, 2008, 03:58 PM
First and goal Wyo on the seven.

OB55
September 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM
3rd and goal at the five.

OB55
September 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM
4th and goal at the 11, fg unit coming on.

Thundar
September 13th, 2008, 04:01 PM
13-10 NDSU

OB55
September 13th, 2008, 04:01 PM
NDSU 13 WYO 10

MaximumBobcat
September 13th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Momentum is wayyyy on the side of Cowboys. Bison players sound tired. Time to start the 4th.

Thundar
September 13th, 2008, 04:07 PM
13-10 start of 4th

furman94
September 13th, 2008, 04:11 PM
GO BISON! Is this ya'lls only FBS competition this year?

Gil Dobie
September 13th, 2008, 04:12 PM
This is the only FBS game this year.

Matt Anderson had a tough 3rd quarter, but good experience for a backup. xthumbsupx

TwinTownBisonFan
September 13th, 2008, 04:12 PM
that offsides hurt...

OB55
September 13th, 2008, 04:14 PM
First and goal for WYO at the 6.

OB55
September 13th, 2008, 04:16 PM
3rd and goal...from the seven.

OB55
September 13th, 2008, 04:16 PM
4th!

OB55
September 13th, 2008, 04:17 PM
NDSU 13 WYO 13

Thundar
September 13th, 2008, 04:17 PM
13-13 4thqtr

TwinTownBisonFan
September 13th, 2008, 04:18 PM
i'll take it... considering that the field seems to be tilted into our endzone at the moment...

TwinTownBisonFan
September 13th, 2008, 04:18 PM
btw... watching this on ESPN gamecast is like chinese water torture

MaximumBobcat
September 13th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Exciting game. Good luck to both teams! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Thundar
September 13th, 2008, 04:27 PM
3 and out for WYO NDSU takes over still 13-13!!

Thundar
September 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM
btw... watching this on ESPN gamecast is like chinese water torture

Listen to it on the radio 1570 in Minneapolis

Gil Dobie
September 13th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Here is the link

Link (http://www.kycr.com/)

RabidRabbit
September 13th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Are Bison down with 2 min left?xconfusedx

Gil Dobie
September 13th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Are Bison down with 2 min left?xconfusedx

Tied Cowboys intercept and are driving.

Gil Dobie
September 13th, 2008, 04:51 PM
40 yd fg attempt looming by Wyoming

Gil Dobie
September 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Nevermind, big run by Cowboys.

Thundar
September 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM
WYO FG for the win 16-13 WYO seconds remainingxbawlingx

Good Game! NDSU killed themselves in the 4th

Gil Dobie
29 yd attempt by Cowboys, 7 seconds left.

bisonguy
Wyoming up 16-13 with 4 seconds left. xoopsx

Gil Dobie
September 13th, 2008, 04:54 PM
FG Wyoming, 4 seconds left, we need Steve Walker.

dgreco
gonna take a miracle now

OB55
Eww, that's gotta hurt. Long trip home. xsmhx

No_Skill
WYO FG for the win 16-13 WYO seconds remainingxbawlingx

Good Game! NDSU killed themselves in the 4th

Injuries didn't help. A healthy team wins this game. IMO

Drblankstare
Two many picks. Has to improve before league play starts.

RabidRabbit
September 13th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Bisonville overloaded and not coming thru!!xmadx xmadx

Thundar

I agree, oh well ON TO THE MVFC!!!!!!!!!! YSU here we come!!!!!!

Syntax Error
Game over

NDSU falls to WYO, 16-13

Thundar
September 13th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I think Bisonville imploded!!!!!!!xlolx

Mountaineer2825
Well I was hoping for an overtime win for the Bison but that last min. interception ruined it. Oh well, still a hard fought game. Good job FCS!

GradBison
That really hurts. It was our game to lose, and we lost it with turnovers.

RabidRabbit
September 13th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Well, first of 3 projected losses for Bison. xwhistlex xwhistlex

Drats!!! I was hoping you'd knock off the Cowboys, and bring in an FBS win for the FCS. xcoolx

Syntax Error
September 13th, 2008, 04:58 PM
another near victory over FBS, so many this year

Drblankstare
September 13th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Hate to rip Mertens but he's got to be better than that for NDSU to win. Alot of injuries, alot of penalities, but the effort was there.

eagle1
September 13th, 2008, 05:00 PM
This game sounds alot like EWU's loss last week to Colorado. Good game Bison and you represented the FCS level well. Go Eags!

FargoBison
September 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Hate to rip Mertens but he's got to be better than that for NDSU to win. Alot of injuries, alot of penalities, but the effort was there.

Our receivers dropped a ton of balls in the 2nd half, Mertens can't complete his own passes.

Tod
September 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM
another near victory over FBS, so many this year

No kidding! Give FCS 40 points to spread around and we have six or eight more wins!

Well, very good game, NDSU. Good luck in the MVFC, it'll be a lot of fun watching this year.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

JoeNeck90
September 13th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Absolutely. Good game Bison. It means nothing except that middle to lower tier FBS schools will really start to think twice about scheduling FCS games due to the success of FCS against FBS the last few years. xthumbsupx

Drblankstare
September 13th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Our receivers dropped a ton of balls in the 2nd half, Mertens can't complete his own passes.

Very truexnodx

Thundar
September 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM

I couldn't agree with you more, yes the 3 INTs didn't help, but BISON FANS THERE IS NO SHAME IN LOSING BY 3 POINTS TO A TEAM FAVORED TO WIN!! I look at this as a excellent learning experience for Mertens and out younger players, every NDSU fan has to admit the first 2 games didn't really count we played this one tuff and that makes me feel ok!

Drblankstare
September 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I just hope we have enough people to play next week. The boys are really banged up for just 3 games in.

onbison09
September 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I couldn't agree with you more, yes the 3 INTs didn't help, but BISON FANS THERE IS NO SHAME IN LOSING BY 3 POINTS TO A TEAM FAVORED TO WIN!! I look at this as a excellent learning experience for Mertens and out younger players, every NDSU fan has to admit the first 2 games didn't really count we played this one tuff and that makes me feel ok!

That makes me feel better and if our offense would've shown up for just one drive and punched one in we probably would've won.

Thundar
September 13th, 2008, 05:09 PM
hey onbison can you get on Bisonville??

Appstate29
September 13th, 2008, 05:10 PM
saw attendence was only 19+, good effort by the bison. Bring your a**es to boone, we'll put 40k in the stands!

FargoBison
September 13th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Next week against YSU is now huge, need to take one of these road games.

Drblankstare
September 13th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Whats the word on Rhoel at this point?

BisonBacker
September 13th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Haven't heard anything yet but I don't expect he will be playing next week

bisonguy
September 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM
hey onbison can you get on Bisonville??

I believe it's a bandwidth issue-there were well over 200 people on the board, with 100+pages on the game itself.

ERASU2113
September 13th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Next week against YSU is now huge, need to take one of these road games.

Seriously - YSU should not be a hard game for you guys. Ya'll fought hard against Wyo...be proud. Hopefully we'll see you guys in the playoffs.

Drblankstare
September 13th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Haven't heard anything yet but I don't expect he will be playing next week

I will say though that the running game has looked good without Rhoel, but if we are going to contend in the MVFC we are going to need the big man. xnodx

Hammerhead
September 13th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I have the same feeling now that I had after the Bison lost a close game to Minnesota 2 years ago where a blocked field goal attempt at the end of the game was the difference.

extremerouge
September 13th, 2008, 06:00 PM
when will bisonville get back up?

Kanitapja
September 13th, 2008, 07:29 PM
when will bisonville get back up?

When Mr. Lakes returns to fix it all and singlehandedly save the day.xcoffeex

Kanitapja
September 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Has Bisonville ever fallen victim to the F5 Bomber before? Knew something was amiss as I was leaving the airport just after halftime...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/f5refreshjetairplanesrepeatdramatic.jpg

*shamelessly reposted from sdsufans:p

Hood
September 13th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Late to the party but you guys hold your heads high. Good showing.

I'm going crazy not having a team that is playing!

bisonwest
September 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Story of this game is the Bison didn't make plays when we needed to in the second half. Also way too many mistakes ( penalties, turnovers) Our defense played pretty good though. We are really banged up right now hopefully we can get through the next game with a W and make good use of the off week! All in all I think we should be fine once these injuries heal. I'm not really hanging my head after a loss to an FBS team on the road where a big share of our starters were hurt.

NDB
September 13th, 2008, 08:25 PM
in hind sight this is a game the bison should have won.

on odd reason for optimism, but as banged up and badly as we played at times the bison lost on a last second field goal.

NDSUFREAK
September 13th, 2008, 09:05 PM
people may blame the refs all they want, but when it comes down to it, NDSU deserved to lose this game. horrible showing

bisonguy
September 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM
people may blame the refs all they want, but when it comes down to it, NDSU deserved to lose this game. horrible showing

Who was blaming the refs? All the penalties that NDSU received were their own fault.

NDSU needed a near perfect performance to win this game. They didn't perform at that level.

stevdock
September 13th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Very similar game to the last two Gopher games in the respect of getting into the red zone and not being able to finish the drive. I thought after Heck's big catch to start the second half that it was close to over if we punch it in. As soon as we had to kick the FG, I inistantly thought that could end up hurting us in the end. Good showing by our boys. We've got to find a way to get it done at YSU as banged up as we are, and then rest everyone. The way the injuries are going so far, I'm glad we are only playing 11 games.

Thundar
September 14th, 2008, 12:02 AM

Freak i have to disagree. How does a 3 point loss to a FBS team translate to a "horrible showing"? I mean those kids played their a##es off, and we dipped into the 3rd string in the secondary for help yes we blew a 13-0 lead but still held when they could have dumped 14 points on us. Now Ohio State they had a Horrible Showingxpeacex

Grizaholic17
September 14th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Freak i have to disagree. How does a 3 point loss to a FBS team translate to a "horrible showing"? I mean those kids played their a##es off, and we dipped into the 3rd string in the secondary for help yes we blew a 13-0 lead but still held when they could have dumped 14 points on us. Now Ohio State they had a Horrible Showingxpeacex

Kudos to NDSU on a great game. And more kudos to Coach glen, I hold a soft spot for him

Kanitapja
September 14th, 2008, 12:35 AM

There's no such thing as a 'good loss', IMHO. Some losses are just not as bad as other losses. Nothing short of a victory will make me smile. On to conference play...

GradBison
September 14th, 2008, 12:49 AM

I'm not meaning to be down on our team, but it was a horrible showing because of all the mistakes. Dropped passes: at least 2 were on 3rd down and would've been enough yardage for a 1st down, 3 interceptions, the penalties, our defense played a good game but there were some missed tackles in the 2nd half.

Like I said earlier in this thread, it was our game to lose, and we lost it.

Yes, on to MVC now. Youngstown beat down on a D-II team today, let's see who shows up for both clubs next weekend.

It was painful not being able to see today's game. Thankfully it's the only one I won't get a chance to see this season.

griz&beer
September 14th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Good game NDSU I relay thought you would have wow. I would have bet on you guys for sure.

Thunderstruck84
September 14th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I was at the game and here are a few observations that might not have been clear over the radio:

1) Great showing from Bison fans - I'd estimate 3-4k, not too bad for a game over 800 miles from Fargo

2) Defense played great - maybe got worn down a little but they were out there virtually the whole second half and made some fantastic plays

3) Mertens played really streaky vut there were 3 critical 3rd down drops (and these were flat out drops) that ended drives in the second half that really seemed to take the wind out of the team's sails, regardless he played well enough to win.

Overall, the difference in the game was the Cowboys didn't beat themselves and they capitalized on Bison mistakes. Sure there were questionable calls but 3 3rd down drops, 3 interceptions, 4 offsides penalties, etc... NDSU could've easily won this game but they made 1 or 2 too many mistakes and that can't happen in close games against good teams.

Here's hoping captains Roehl and Schommer can get healthy and that the team learns that their not gonna win every game 41-6 and hopefully this game will help them later down the line.

SteelCurtain
September 14th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I was at the game and here are a few observations that might not have been clear over the radio:

1) Great showing from Bison fans - I'd estimate 3-4k, not too bad for a game over 800 miles from Fargo

2) Defense played great - maybe got worn down a little but they were out there virtually the whole second half and made some fantastic plays

3) Mertens played really streaky vut there were 3 critical 3rd down drops (and these were flat out drops) that ended drives in the second half that really seemed to take the wind out of the team's sails, regardless he played well enough to win.

Overall, the difference in the game was the Cowboys didn't beat themselves and they capitalized on Bison mistakes. Sure there were questionable calls but 3 3rd down drops, 3 interceptions, 4 offsides penalties, etc... NDSU could've easily won this game but they made 1 or 2 too many mistakes and that can't happen in close games against good teams.

Here's hoping captains Roehl and Schommer can get healthy and that the team learns that their not gonna win every game 41-6 and hopefully this game will help them later down the line.

Just a couple things to add. The big difference was losing our safties. We have talented back-ups(actually down to 3rd string SS) But inexpierence showed in the second half. Bad angles lead to big plays for whoming. But lets give credit to Wyoming, I was at the game and that RB they had is a stud. Very fast slasher who made some big runs in the second half.

Just too many mistakes in this one. The biggest were the dropped passes in the second half. Because of that our D ended up being on the field too long. One good thing is our o-line played very well and our D will easily be one of the best we have every had. We just need to get some people healthy!!

NDSUFREAK
September 14th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Who was blaming the refs? All the penalties that NDSU received were their own fault.

NDSU needed a near perfect performance to win this game. They didn't perform at that level.

oh, i was on the chat window at bisonsports.net because of how busy bisonville was and they all had a lot of comments on refs screwing us and all that

BisonBacker
September 14th, 2008, 04:43 PM
oh, i was on the chat window at bisonsports.net because of how busy bisonville was and they all had a lot of comments on refs screwing us and all that

Not being at the game and only having the radio guys call to go by was the basis for the comments. Both Scott and Phil commented that the calls made by the refs were not consistent throughout the game. I have no problem with the calls if they work both ways for both teams. With that being said both Scott, Phil and Jeremy who worked the sidelines said the pass interference call against NDSU in the second half down in the end zone was not called on Wyoming in the first half on the two interceptions they had. Is this all sour grapes? I suppose you can look at it that way but all any fan wants is consistency from the refs. If your going to call it close to the vest for one team you better do it for the other team or otherwise you open yourself up to this type of criticism which in this case is from our announcers not just the poeple on BisonSports.nets chat. Yeah you can expect a bit of homeritis from the announcers but all three said the refs calls were inconsistent. xnonox

Thunderstruck84
September 14th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Not being at the game and only having the radio guys call to go by was the basis for the comments. Both Scott and Phil commented that the calls made by the refs were not consistent throughout the game. I have no problem with the calls if they work both ways for both teams. With that being said both Scott, Phil and Jeremy who worked the sidelines said the pass interference call against NDSU in the second half down in the end zone was not called on Wyoming in the first half on the two interceptions they had. Is this all sour grapes? I suppose you can look at it that way but all any fan wants is consistency from the refs. If your going to call it close to the vest for one team you better do it for the other team or otherwise you open yourself up to this type of criticism which in this case is from our announcers not just the poeple on BisonSports.nets chat. Yeah you can expect a bit of homeritis from the announcers but all three said the refs calls were inconsistent. xnonox
The biggest inconsistency was with two pass interference calls, early in the 4th they called pass interference on Richard Bowman in the end zone but which was valid it was a bad pass that the receiver had no chance of catching but they still called it. Then later in the fourth quarter Mertens went deep for Heckendorf who got mauled but it was also a bad pass the Heckendorf couldn't have hauled down in bounds anyway. The line judge threw the flag but they picked it up claiming the pass was uncatchable.

That was the only glaring inconsistency I noticed other than a couple hold penalties that could've been called but you can say that for each side on almost every play probably. Regardless of those calls, you can't blame the referees, NDSU had ample opportunities to win this game, they just made too many mistakes.

BisonBacker
September 14th, 2008, 09:00 PM
The biggest inconsistency was with two pass interference calls, early in the 4th they called pass interference on Richard Bowman in the end zone but which was valid it was a bad pass that the receiver had no chance of catching but they still called it. Then later in the fourth quarter Mertens went deep for Heckendorf who got mauled but it was also a bad pass the Heckendorf couldn't have hauled down in bounds anyway. The line judge threw the flag but they picked it up claiming the pass was uncatchable.

That was the only glaring inconsistency I noticed other than a couple hold penalties that could've been called but you can say that for each side on almost every play probably. Regardless of those calls, you can't blame the referees, NDSU had ample opportunities to win this game, they just made too many mistakes.

I never said NDSU didn't have ample opportunities, I was just responding to Freaks comments. Also if you didn't have a chance to watch coach Bohls show one of the highlights clearly showed where the Wyo defender had grabbed hold of one of Heck's arms and was holding him back when Heck was trying to catch the ball and couldn't. It was a horrible no call. Scott, Phil and Jeremy all commented on the poor officiating. I'm just telling you what I heard as well as what I saw in the replays on Coach Bohls show. Should we have won? Absolutely and we blew multiple opportunities but the reffing was horrible.

ChubbyCherub
September 14th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I like what you guys have going on up there, I am gonna try to catch you guys when you play W. Ill or UNI as i live about an hour and a half from each. I am a lifelong App fan but you guys piqued my interest last year. Keep it rolling.

Thundar
September 14th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I like what you guys have going on up there, I am gonna try to catch you guys when you play W. Ill or UNI as i live about an hour and a half from each. I am a lifelong App fan but you guys piqued my interest last year. Keep it rolling.

WIU is in Fargo so looks like the UNI game is your only option!

SactoHornetFan
September 15th, 2008, 08:38 AM
That really hurts. It was our game to lose, and we lost it with turnovers.

That's how we lost to Colorado State last week. I feel your pain NDSU fans.

OrygunBison
September 15th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I just flew back to Portland this morning after watching the game in Lame Larimie this weekend.

Three dropped balls lost this game for us. Wide open, hit-you-in-the-numbers, dropped balls that each would have been huge gains, likely 30-40 yards or more. Each resulted in a punt and drained our momentum.

I am still pissed. We were the better team.