PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly Looking for a Game 9/27 or 10/11

coover
September 12th, 2008, 03:18 PM
With the McNeese State canceled, Cal Poly is down to 10 scheduled games this year. They want an 11th and have September 27 and October 11 presently as bye dates.

“I am in conversation with a school that shares one of our bye dates and trying to secure another game,” said Cal Poly director of athletics Alison Cone. “We should know more next week.”

Any guesses as to who that school (or schools) might be?

GradBison
September 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM
With the McNeese State canceled, Cal Poly is down to 10 scheduled games this year. They want an 11th and have September 27 and October 11 presently as bye dates.

“I am in conversation with a school that shares one of our bye dates and trying to secure another game,” said Cal Poly director of athletics Alison Cone. “We should know more next week.”

Any guesses as to who that school (or schools) might be?

NDSU has a bye on the 27th, I'm not saying NDSU is the school in question, just pointing out the date. That bye is in a good spot for the Bison with 2 tough home and 2 tough away conference games to follow.

Best of luck to Cal Poly finding a game! It's really too bad about the cancellation. I hope we play you guys again, it's always a thriller!

Poly Pigskin
September 12th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Nicholls State has the 27th open, and with 2 games canceled I would imagine they're looking for another game.

GradBison
September 12th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Nicholls State has the 27th open, and with 2 games canceled I would imagine they're looking for another game.

That would probably make the most sense.

Bisondad
September 12th, 2008, 03:43 PM
University of North Dakota

GradBison
September 12th, 2008, 04:14 PM
University of North Dakota

Cal Poly is probably looking for a playoff counter.

TexasTerror
September 12th, 2008, 04:29 PM

Nicholls also has a game that next Thursday at UNI. Not sure if they'd want a game on the 27th, especially against a team like Cal Poly. Budget issues would probably make it impractical, unless Cal Poly covered the cost of a flight by Nicholls to CP for a return game (or the lone game itself).

coover
September 12th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Nichols State makes sense. A newspaper article mentioned something about playing another Louisiana School and NS is fully FCS.

Of course, UND is a new member of the Great West Football Conference, so playing them makes some sense. But, in my opinion, the primary reason that UND wasn't on Cal Poly's schedule originally, is that the game (if Cal Poly won) would not count in the number of wins required to get in the playoffs.

Nichols State gets the nod as the more preferred by the Cal Poly Athletic Department.

Any other candidates?

McTailGator
September 12th, 2008, 04:39 PM

That would be a great game for both of you guys.

You run a VERY simular offense. But ya'll pass more.

TexasTerror
September 12th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Unless Cal Poly foots the bill for the Colonels to go out there...or makes the trek to Nicholls themselves, I doubt this game happens...

Probably need CP to head to Nicholls because of the short week (game on Thursday against UNI -- as mentioned)...Colonels won't want two flights in a few days...

Poly Pigskin
September 12th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Unless Cal Poly foots the bill for the Colonels to go out there...or makes the trek to Nicholls themselves, I doubt this game happens...

I wouldn't just dismiss this as a possibility because there are a few obstacles, that's why they have negotiations. It won't be easy, but then again, when is it easy to schedule a game with only a few weeks notice?

JALMOND
September 12th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Sac State has an open date on 10-11. Problem is probably buying out this weeks game against Southern Oregon (very doubtful at this time).

Cal-Berkeley is open on 10-11 as well.

JALMOND
September 12th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Probably need CP to head to Nicholls because of the short week (game on Thursday against UNI -- as mentioned)...Colonels won't want two flights in a few days...

Cal Poly was heading to McNeese this week anyway. Makes sense that it would be a road game for the Mustangs wherever they go.

blackfordpu
September 12th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I wish we had an open week, that would be a great game.

McNeese75
September 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM
It has probably been stated somewhere but it would be nice if McNeese could buy out Southern Va and the bring CP back to LC on the 27th

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 12th, 2008, 08:38 PM
GSU has an open date on October 11th, but I don't think it'll be us.

TexasTerror
September 13th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I wouldn't just dismiss this as a possibility because there are a few obstacles, that's why they have negotiations. It won't be easy, but then again, when is it easy to schedule a game with only a few weeks notice?

And as I figured -- was reported in the SLO paper that Nicholls State was not willing to go to Cal Poly (nor should they with the short week and a game at UNI on Thursday) and that they could not guarantee that their stadium would be ready in time...

JohnStOnge
September 13th, 2008, 09:49 AM
It has probably been stated somewhere but it would be nice if McNeese could buy out Southern Va and the bring CP back to LC on the 27th

I saw that idea mentioned on the McNeese Delphi board and I really hope somebody at least looks into it. That would be great.

ccd494
September 13th, 2008, 12:10 PM
The other possibility, and it was very controversial when it occurred a few years ago, is awarding Cal Poly a playoff countable win by forfeit, while not giving a loss to their opponent a loss.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/cfoot532/2514126/detail.html

Maine was willing to pay to fly W&M to Maine, and give W&M all gate proceeds and concession sales from the game. W&M declined. Maine was willing to play at another college, on a high school field, in a berry patch in Virginia. W&M declined.

TexasTerror
September 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM
The committee takes into account issues with canceled games. It's been brought up time and time again when this has happened in the past. Obviously, it'd be better for the school to get a game in, especially against an attractive opponent -- but it is what it is.

slostang
September 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM

All in favor say HELL YES. HELL YES.

JALMOND
September 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM

That would make the most sense, for the teams and FCS, the way the season is going.