PDA

View Full Version : Legitimate shot at a Championship?

Screamin_Eagle174
September 11th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I know it's early in the season, and there's still a lot of football to be played. But after two weeks of ball, there are a couple teams that are definitely proving themselves to be worthy contenders for a National Championship. Granted most of them aren't a big surprise. Of the teams listed, who do you think has the best shot? Who has the toughest schedule?

I'll be the homer and support my Eagles... however I'm not the only one that's supporting them. We have a bunch of converted fans over in Lubbock and Boulder: http://easternwashington.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2181&tid=115272439&mid=115272439&sid=1148&style=2
http://easternwashington.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2181&tid=115274966&mid=115274966&sid=1148&style=2

Screamin_Eagle174
September 11th, 2008, 06:55 PM
And to the teams that didn't make the list... it's no slight, but I chose who I thought the best 10 teams in the country are at this point, regardless of record. (Well not completely regardless).

ASUMountaineer
September 11th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I voted NDSU as I didn't want to make a homer pick.

dgreco
September 11th, 2008, 08:15 PM
NDSU's year I think.

Gil Dobie
September 11th, 2008, 08:15 PM
App St, been there done that, experience, etc

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Until a 1AA beats App St they are still the team to beat.

Eastern Wash and the Grizz have good shots at a NC

UNI - NDSU - SDSU have very good teams this yr

Dont know much about the eastern teams....someone out east fill me inxthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Maroon&White
September 11th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Until a 1AA beats App St they are still the team to beat.

Eastern Wash and the Grizz have good shots at a NC

UNI - NDSU - SDSU have very good teams this yr

Dont know much about the eastern teams....someone out east fill me inxthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Typical western bias. :D

Seawolf97
September 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I will stick with Richmond.

Peems
September 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Well I didn't vote but believe App is the team to beat still. Even if they lose a few, until they DON'T make the playoffs they are the team to beat. BTW I don't see how you can say Eastern at this point. Sure they "hung tough" with two BCS teams, but in reality they are 0-2 and stumble once or twice in conference and they have barely any shot at making the playoffs.

ThreadStopper
September 11th, 2008, 09:13 PM
If Poly makes it to the playoffs, lookout!

IABison
September 11th, 2008, 09:17 PM
It's still too early, but I did a homer pick.

I'll know better after this coming weekend.

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Gonna need some more SoCon teams in there. There were at least 3 or 4 SoCon schools that played App tougher than anyone did during the playoffs in 2007.

McNeese75
September 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM
UNC is beating Rutgers by 4 TDs in the 4th quarter at Rutgers. :D So the Cowboy opening game in Chapel Hill is gaining some credibility xwhistlex

(I know, I know nobody needs to kick my azz to the curb over the therefore theory xlolx )

Brandon Jacobs just gave cudos to SIU for his NFL career opportunity while speaking with the sportscasters.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 11th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Gonna need some more SoCon teams in there. There were at least 3 or 4 SoCon schools that played App tougher than anyone did during the playoffs in 2007.

Which ones should be added? Tell us. xeyebrowx

URMite
September 11th, 2008, 10:56 PM

That is another thread I have been thinking about "Who are the legitimate contenders, who also have a legitimate chance at missing the playoffs?" I thought Cal-Poly and at least a couple of others fit that profile going into the season, but with the McNeese cancellation I just don't know anymore?xconfusedx

patssle
September 11th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Can't pick McNeese until they can prove they can get out of the 1st round.

Gotta pick App until somebody can prove they keep them from the NC.

GrizRchattybound
September 11th, 2008, 11:11 PM

Win baby win.

Poly Pigskin
September 11th, 2008, 11:25 PM

That's looking like a big 'if' after the choke job at home and now the cancellation. If we lose 2 more games (which is pretty likely), I don't think we're in, cause you can't assume we would have won in Lake Charles.

crunifan
September 11th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I definitely do not think this is UNI's year, but I have been surprised before (2005). I'd go with North Dakota State.

RazorEdge19
September 11th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I know it's early in the season, and there's still a lot of football to be played. But after two weeks of ball, there are a couple teams that are definitely proving themselves to be worthy contenders for a National Championship. Granted most of them aren't a big surprise. Of the teams listed, who do you think has the best shot? Who has the toughest schedule?

I'll be the homer and support my Eagles... however I'm not the only one that's supporting them. We have a bunch of converted fans over in Lubbock and Boulder: http://easternwashington.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2181&tid=115272439&mid=115272439&sid=1148&style=2
http://easternwashington.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2181&tid=115274966&mid=115274966&sid=1148&style=2

I think, at this point, it doesn't matter what we think.

furpal87
September 11th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I took Richmond, great win over Elon, stuck with UVA all day.

BALD EAGLE
September 12th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Even though half of Ga. Southern's top 22 players on both offense and defense are freshmen do not count the Eagles out of the Championship picture.

38-10 Playoff Record

6 National Championships

GO EAGLES "JUST ONE MORE TIME"

Thundering_Herd
September 12th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Even though half of Ga. Southern's top 22 players on both offense and defense are freshmen do not count the Eagles out of the Championship picture.

38-10 Playoff Record

6 National Championships

GO EAGLES "JUST ONE MORE TIME"

Yeah, what he said. They played georgia fairly tough. My pick is for NDSU, but still like UNI, Cal Poly or App State

mvemjsunpx
September 12th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I voted for Richmond.

I only had the Spiders at #3 on my AGS ballot, but my #2—North Dakota State—has no FCS postseason experience and my #1—McNeese State—has a history of choking in the playoffs.

da_Bison
September 12th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I'm impressed with Eastern Washington and WIU

Grizalltheway
September 12th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Yeah, what he said. They played georgia fairly tough. My pick is for NDSU, but still like UNI, Cal Poly or App State

xrolleyesx xcoffeex

uofmman1122
September 12th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Even though we beat Cal Poly, I can't pick Montana as the best shot.

App. State is still top dog, until proven otherwise.

hippy@GSU
September 12th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Yeah, I picked App. St.! What you gonna do about it? Huh? (Although I will cut my _________ off if GSU does not win against them). But, I will be a homer and wonder why GSU wasnt in that poll. Seriously boggles my mind.

Death Dealer
September 12th, 2008, 06:57 AM
FU, every last freaking one of you.xcoolx

appfan2008
September 12th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I am looking for an app ndsu final... how sweet would that be!!!

McTailGator
September 12th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I voted NDSU as I didn't want to make a homer pick.

Actually,

If we are picking a team that has a "Legit shot"...

All of the above should have been an option

appfan2008
September 12th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Actually,

If we are picking a team that has a "Legit shot"...

All of the above should have been an option

exactly... picking app st shouldnt qualify as a homer pick... bc they have a legit shot!

phoenix3
September 12th, 2008, 08:52 AM
xnutsx
Yeah, I picked App. St.! What you gonna do about it? Huh? (Although I will cut my delusional ego off if GSU does not win against them). But, I will be a homer and wonder why GSU wasnt in that poll. Seriously boggles my mind.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I know, take it to the smack area.

mcveyrl
September 12th, 2008, 08:59 AM

that would suck.:p

I picked Richmond (homer conference pick). They've looked great so far.

I would like to see Cal Poly advance far in the playoffs this year, too.

EdubAlum
September 12th, 2008, 09:40 AM
i picked NDSU. But in my heart, i hope my eags are the ones

OL FU
September 12th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Just remember, very few would have picked JMU in 2004 or ASU in 2005.

not that it will happen, but you gotta love the dark horses

Rekdiver
September 12th, 2008, 09:50 AM
EWU is on a mission. NIU the same and UMASS as well.

Of course App is the prohibitive favorite but after the JUM last year have we used up all our luck?

I don't think we realize how much APP misses Hans Batichson at WR and Corey Lynch at safety. We don't seem quite in sync yet passing.

Running game will be stellar.

ddmann
September 12th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I homered and picked Montana, but the teams I expect to go very deep into the playoffs are NDSU, who seem to be jelling rather nicely, and JM, who I got to see a few minutes of thanks to YT. I did watch most of the Holy Cross UMass game last week and either HC is vastly improved or Umass is suffereing from early season jitters in a bad way.

There are other east coast teams with a shot I just have a feeling the NC will be won by a west coast team this year. I have no facts to support my theory just a hunch. Anyway good luck to ALL the teams in FCS IMHO the best level of football EVER.

elon77
September 12th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I will stick with Richmond.

I agree. I have seen Richmond twice this year and they are stout. I love Elon and the Socon, but unless Richmond has some major injuries I think they will be there in the end. No offense to ASU, The Citadel, Wofford, or Ga. Southern but Richmond might the real deal. I've seen ASU play several times and if not the Spiders I will go with the Moonshiners from Boone, and then the Fightin Christians.xnodx

lizrdgizrd
September 12th, 2008, 10:35 AM
xhomerx

I did pick App State, but I'll give my thoughts on all of them.

Appalachian State - 3 in a row and they overcame defensive line issues last season so they should be able break in the new secondary this season. SoCon isn't an easy sched and adding JMU makes it even tougher.

Cal-Poly - loss to Montana hurts, but could be a good indication of their mental toughness. Cancelling the McNeese game lowers their SOS, but they should have a good shot at the playoffs. Look out, Wisconsin.

Eastern Washington - starting 0-2 isn't good for any team, but at least they got paid. We'll see how good they are once they get to the conference games.

James Madison - The shocking (for me anyway) loss to Duke makes me question their ability to make it to the championship. Maybe Duke really is better this year. Trouncing Central was a good start to the FCS slate and beating UMass would go a long way in proving they're ready.

McNeese State - Good showing against UNC-CH bodes well for the 'pokes. Trouncing Delta St. doesn't really prove anything. The game vs Cal Poly might have really shown which of these two teams were champion quality, but we don't get to see it happen. Playoff-bound for sure, but we saw how that worked out last season.

Montana - Nice win over Cal Poly in their house (you found the airport! xhurrayx) means the Grizzlies may just be reloading again this season. UC Davis should be a solid game but I think we'll have to wait for Big Sky action to see just how good they're going to be this year.

North Dakota State - 2-0 so far, but not a lot of testing going on. Wyoming might shed a bit more light, but I think we'll have to wait until the SIU game to see if the Bison are championship-caliber.

Richmond - Good win at Elon and good showing at Virginia make me think the Spiders could go deep in the playoffs this season. The fact that their offense couldn't score against Virginia leaves me with some questions because we saw last season that Elon's defense was a bit shaky. Looks like the Spiders' D is top notch though.

UMass - so far so good. The close win over Holy Cross might end up to be questionable if the Crusaders fizzle. Big game against JMU this week should help clear up the picture. They might benefit from the playoff expansion as tough games against Richmond, Delaware, and New Hampshire could have them sitting on the bubble.

UNI - at least they're not YSU. xsmiley_wix

way to early to tell what kind of shape UNI's in. Big loss at QB from last season and close win against USD make this week's game against SDSU seem like a good indicator of the direction they're going this season. The Jacks big win over YSU apparently doesn't mean much so this game might not really tell us anything at all about either team. Hard sell right now to claim UNI is championship caliber at this point.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 12th, 2008, 12:44 PM
It's funny to me how people don't really get how badly Mickey Matthews HATES with a passion playing any I-A school.

The worst is if JMU somehow comes out NCAA Champion, then everyone would be saying, "See, your best team couldn't even beat Duke." :o

Duke is better, but they are still pretty bad. I love Mickey Matthews, but a different coach with those same players beats Duke more often than not.

That said, I really don't know who I think is the #1 contender. My head says Richmond because defense wins championships and I think they truly have a championship caliber defense. But App St is the king of the hill until they are dethroned. As long as Armanti Edwards is taking the snap, they are a threat to any team.

Montana could easily fly under the radar and return to the championship game again. Will they win though? I don't see it.

93henfan
September 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Where is page two of the poll? I don't see Delaware as a choice.

GreatAppSt
September 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Legitimate shot at a Championship?

Any team ranked in the top 12 or so at the end of the season.xnodx IMHO

Yes, having a lower ranked team gel at post season time and pull a Cinderella is always possible. But, after 27 years of playoffs the lowest ranked team to emerge as champs (WKUxbowx ) at the start of the playoffs was ranked 12th.

xtwocentsx

appfan2008
September 12th, 2008, 01:24 PM
in any given year there are about 6 or so teams come playoff time that actually have a chance... its too early to know much right now...

Kymermosst
September 12th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Right now I say NDSU.

Sure, they don't have the playoff experience that the others do, but they've got something to prove after last year and most of the other teams on that list don't have experience against the Bison. Their one downfall may be that their guys aren't physically prepared to add another 4 weeks of football.

As much as I don't want to say it out loud, as long as UMass doesn't go up against them, I'd like to see ASU win it one more time for two reasons. First, because you have to feel good for a guy who comes in and wins the championship every time whether you like it or not. And second, because I'm really hoping that come '09 App will realize that they aren't invincible, even if Armanti is.

AshevilleApp2
September 12th, 2008, 01:49 PM
At the risk of being a homer, I went with App. I like our chances as opposed to any other one team. Against the field, I'll take the field.

james_lawfirm
September 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Yep. That's true. However, let's get App through the season first before we go dreaming about matchups in the NC game.

We'll be doing good if we don't start 1-2.

crunifan
September 12th, 2008, 04:05 PM
EWU is on a mission. NIU the same and UMASS as well.

Northern Illinois is now a member of FCS football? Good for them, its about time they realized they have no shot at a BCS game...

GaSouthern
September 12th, 2008, 04:13 PM
NDSU

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 12th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I think NDSU will get there if they stay healthy, but I voted for EWU

rob_p469
September 12th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I think NDSU will get there if they stay healthy, but I voted for EWU

EWU has a legit shot and deserves to be on the list, but how could you possibly vote for EWU over App State? Not an App State fan here, but any team that wins 3 championships in a row and has a quarterback with that kind of skill set, you have to pick them above a team that can't even win its own conference outright.

Intrepid
September 12th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Why was Delaware left out?

I believe that they have a shot...

hippy@GSU
September 13th, 2008, 11:49 AM
xnutsx

Sorry, couldn't resist. I know, take it to the smack area.

Ha Ha. Good one!! I must give credit where credit is due. But 7 is more than 1. The last of it is here.

RazorEdge19
September 13th, 2008, 11:56 AM
EWU has a legit shot and deserves to be on the list, but how could you possibly vote for EWU over App State? Not an App State fan here, but any team that wins 3 championships in a row and has a quarterback with that kind of skill set, you have to pick them above a team that can't even win its own conference outright.

Erm...App didn't exactly win their conference outright either....