PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly's playoff chances

lucchesicourt
October 29th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Does Cal Poly's loss eliminate them from the playoff race? It shouldn't they lost to a very good UCD team today. Just ask UNH,NDSU and Stanford.

lugo02
October 29th, 2005, 06:42 PM
If they win the next 3 games then they will be sweating it out just like the other 10-15 3 loss teams

Hansel
October 29th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Poly does have the advantage of having played a IA, and having an exclusive DI schedule (with no mid-majors).

If they win out they will have wins over NDSU (ranked off/on), Montana St (ranked), Eastern Washington (ranked), Idaho St, SDSU, SUU, N. Colorado, and Sacramento St, with losses @Troy (IA), @ Montana (top 10) and @ Davis (will be ranked)

I can't think of an 8-3 team with a stronger resume.

lucchesicourt
October 29th, 2005, 06:57 PM
That's what I think too. But, after last year, they may be slighted again!!! Because they play on the left coast!!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I think they'd get in over any 3rd place team from the Big Sky. Montana seems like a lock other than that i don't know who would be the second team from the Big Sky, MSU or EWU?

Hansel
October 29th, 2005, 07:01 PM
I think they'd get in over any 3rd place team from the Big Sky. Montana seems like a lock other than that i don't know who would be the second team from the Big Sky, MSU or EWU?
If Poly wins out, they will have beaten both MSU and EWU, so I would hope they would make it in over both of them ;) , also though I think the BSC is the best conf top to bottom this year, there is a strong chance they only get one team (only 1 team with 2 losses and 2 with 3, which have to play each other), the committee would probably want another western team to send to Montana..... see Cal Poly

GrizSweeper
October 29th, 2005, 07:55 PM
you are all assuming that cal poly wins out though, I think they stumble again against E. Washington and with that would really have to be lucky to make the playoffs, with Garnett out I think this is bound to happen

mainejeff
October 29th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Nill.

GrizSweeper
October 29th, 2005, 09:55 PM
I would have to agree, better luck next year

Hansel
October 29th, 2005, 09:57 PM
IF they go 8-3, you really don't think they make it???

GrizSweeper
October 29th, 2005, 10:00 PM
they wont get by Easter but thats just my opinion, if they finish 8-3 I think the committee will have to let them in but i just dont see it happening

ThreadStopper
October 29th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Cal Poly needs to get their new backfield on track if they want to make the playoffs.

charliej
October 29th, 2005, 11:59 PM
I would have to agree,8-3 with that sched should get Them in.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
October 30th, 2005, 12:39 AM
The thing that kept them out last year was the fact that one of their wins came against Humboldt State. Also, you could probably argue that transitional NoDak State and SoDak State hadn't earned much street cred yet, so the wins over them weren't considered by many to be quality wins. This year, because of the beatings NDSU has laid on good teams and the way SDSU has played some of the top teams in the country really close, the Mustangs' wins over these guys will be more appropriately valued. Poly also played up a class instead of down a class (Troy instead of Humboldt State) in the OOC schedule.

The losses this year have been to pretty good teams; Troy, Montana (in Missoula), and the most consistently underrated team in the league, Davis. Add that to the absolute shellacking they've given high-quality opponents like Montana State and NDSU, and it's a performance that looks pretty impressive.

Assuming they win out, you'd add victories against Eastern WA and Idaho State. With a schedule like that, there's no way they'd be left out.

I think I agree with GrizSweeper, though. I just don't see them getting by the tough Big Sky guys who're coming up without Garnett. Sorry, man.

Hansel
October 30th, 2005, 07:29 AM
The committee doesn't see provisional teams as fully I-AA so the wins are discounted. CP has more than a few on their schedule.
I thought we counted as DII last year and I-AA this year???

Pantherpower
October 30th, 2005, 08:25 AM
I understand what you're saying Ralph, but dang, there are some mighty talented "provisional" teams in the Great West! :)

rokamortis
October 30th, 2005, 08:30 AM
The committee doesn't see provisional teams as fully I-AA so the wins are discounted. CP has more than a few on their schedule.

Personally I think that is one guideline that should be removed. A team is DI or not - once they made the commitment to move to DI then thay should be treated as a DI on all levels - simple as that.

IaaScribe
October 30th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Personally I think that is one guideline that should be removed. A team is DI or not - once they made the commitment to move to DI then thay should be treated as a DI on all levels - simple as that.

Especially when Cal Poly is FORCED to play those teams as members of the Great West conference. Agreed totally, Rok.

lucchesicourt
October 30th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Ralph, Just because a team is transitional does NOT mean they are any less capable than any other D1AA team. Ask Stanford, UNH,Portland State, and soon to be Eastern Wash. and SFA.
The fact that D1AA disciminates against the transitional teams, is a bias that the transitional teams cannot overcome no matter who they beat and play. Ask any teams that have played SDSU,UCD, and NDSU would thay like to play them again with something on the line. Sac tate should then be consodered transitional too. Afterall, UCD has CONSISTANTLY beaten this so called established 1AA team scolarships and all. Don't you think a marker has been established as to whether UCD is good enough to be considered D1AA non transitional? Sure, the rules say we are, but the play on the field says we are not. And isn't that where it counts? maybe not in D1AA.

Lehigh Lover
October 30th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Cal Poly didn't get in at 9-2 last year, so they won't get in at 8-3 this year. Lehigh didn't get in two years ago at 8-3 with losses to I-A UConn (who went to a bowl game last year), undefeated Penn, and undefeated and eventual national runner-up Colgate. Sorry, Mustangs, you will be complaining again.

lucchesicourt
October 30th, 2005, 03:14 PM
I agree, the Mustangs will lose out again as the loss to us (UCD) is a the dagger for the second consectutive year. That is unfortunate for them as UCD is much better than D1AA teams think.

OL FU
October 30th, 2005, 03:32 PM
I agree, the Mustangs will lose out again as the loss to us (UCD) is a the dagger for the second consectutive year. That is unfortunate for them as UCD is much better than D1AA teams think.

That might be the case but Poly's best shot is the possibility that the auto bid conferences may have a lot of 7-4 teams. See thread on the A-10 possibly getting only 1 bid. SoCon may have three teams. But if GSU loses against Furman the SoCon is down to two. Looks like the A-10 may only get two. Gateway, who knows. They keep beating each other up. Southlands is looking like 1 maybe two. I think Poly has a shot at 8-3 this year because of the records in the other conferences. Last year was different because the A-10 was unbelievably strong.

slostang
October 30th, 2005, 06:53 PM

I think the committee should look at the quality of the team that is played and not their classification. Should a win over a ranked NDSU be less than a win over a 0-11 or 2-9 I-AA school. That would be absurd.

In the case of Cal Poly I think it will not matter now that Garnett is out. There is always next year.

blur2005
October 30th, 2005, 08:38 PM
As I think Poly will fall to Eastern Washington, I would say they will not be going to the playoffs.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
October 31st, 2005, 03:13 PM
I think the committee should look at the quality of the team that is played and not their classification.

Totally agree. It's silly that conference wins in the MEAC, SWAC, and Big South are legit, but conference wins in the Great West are discounted. But other people have said it before me and better.

89Hen
October 31st, 2005, 03:18 PM
Cal Poly didn't get in at 9-2 last year, so they won't get in at 8-3 this year. Lehigh didn't get in two years ago at 8-3
IMO that had more to do with too many other teams with similar and better credentials. There will always be at least one team that feels slighted.