PDA

View Full Version : How many does the Gateway get in?

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 06:11 PM
WKU,YSU, and SIU all have one loss with UNI having 2. All these teams play each other the next 2 weeks. How many teams deserve to get in the playoffs ? Not to mention if ILS hadn't lost today we'd still have another top 25 team in the playoff hunt...

blukeys
October 29th, 2005, 06:14 PM
WKU,YSU, and SIU all have one loss with UNI having 2. All these teams play each other the next 2 weeks. How many teams deserve to get in the playoffs ? Not to mention if ILS hadn't lost today we'd still have another top 25 team in the playoff hunt...

Well in 2003 you got 4 and they were all out by the quarterfinals last year you got 2 and they were both out in the first round. 2 is the max you deserve and any more than that is a huge Christmas gift. :cool:

Chi Panther
October 29th, 2005, 06:15 PM
I'm guessing 2.....

YSU and WKU.....

I think UNI gets in with a win next week at WKU....but that will be really tough.

Remember.....SIU still has to play...YSU, UNI and NDSU....YIKES!!!!

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 06:17 PM
SIU's NDSU game may be the wild card that knocks them out, but I believe the Gateway gets 3 in if YSU can beat SIU

SeattleGriz
October 29th, 2005, 06:20 PM
2 tops. The conference has not been as strong in the playoffs lately.

blukeys
October 29th, 2005, 06:23 PM
SIU's NDSU game may be the wild card that knocks them out, but I believe the Gateway gets 3 in if YSU can beat SIU

That would only demonstrate the overrated nature of the Gateway 40% of the conference with bids to the playoffs? Please!! you guys demonstated how no more than 2 were warranted in '03. And '04 just reinforced that fact. Who have you beaten OOC in I-AA? OVC doesn't count. They don't beat anyone in the playoffs either.

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 06:25 PM
2 tops. The conference has not been as strong in the playoffs lately.

What the hell does that have to do with this year? Absolutely nothing. There isn't a conference in the country that has better teams top to bottom. I almost guarantee 3 Gateway teams, barring YSU, WKU, or SIU falling flat on their asses the next two weeks.

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 06:28 PM
What the hell does that have to do with this year? Absolutely nothing. There isn't a conference in the country that has better teams top to bottom. I almost guarantee 3 Gateway teams, barring YSU, WKU, or SIU falling flat on their asses the next two weeks.

Let me clarify this. If YSU, WKU, and SIU all lose no more than 1 game the rest of the way, they're all in. Two losses for any of them and they're home. It's that simple.

Chi Panther
October 29th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Calm down Blue.....playoff success ebs and flows....the Gateway Conf has 2 National Championships in the past 8 years....thats pretty good considering neither team won the conference.

Toppermaniac
Let me clarify this. If YSU, WKU, and SIU all lose no more than 1 game the rest of the way, they're all in. Two losses for any of them and they're home. It's that simple.

UNI could crash the party and take one of the spots if they happen to run the table, which will be extremely tough.

blukeys
What the hell does that have to do with this year? Absolutely nothing. There isn't a conference in the country that has better teams top to bottom. I almost guarantee 3 Gateway teams, barring YSU, WKU, or YSU falling flat on their asses the next two weeks.
This year who have you beaten out of conference? Northeastern a team with no A-10 wins.

From top to bottom the A-10 is better than Gateway. We'll play Indiana State tomorrow. :D :D :D

Chi Panther
October 29th, 2005, 06:32 PM

Problem is:

WKU still plays UNI and YSU.....

YSU still plays SIU and WKU

SIU still plays YSU, UNI and NDSU

UNI still plays WKU and SIU....

How are those teams all only going to have one loss???????

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 06:33 PM
By the way, can any other conference say they've had two teams ranked # 1 this year. WKU held that spot two separate times. SIU may have held it twice, can't remember. UNI has been highly ranked this year as well, as has YSU. On top of that ISU, although inconsistent, has played some amazing football this year against SIU and UNI.

Down with the Foe!
October 29th, 2005, 06:34 PM
There isn't a conference in the country that has better teams top to bottom.

I'm sure you meant no offense to me or my Big Sky brothers and sisters with that stupid A$$ comment.

:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

Our 3rd best team talent wise came into your powerhouse all everything squad and beeeotched em last year (#1 seed if not mistaken?)

ok, forget last year....Ifthey let 3 or 4 teams from the west into the party, in different brackets and you may see 3 or 4 teams in the Semi's from the BSC and GW.

SeattleGriz
October 29th, 2005, 06:34 PM

It means the Gateway has a lot of football between the usual powers to be played over the next couple of weeks. I just don't see getting more than two.

As far as history, look at GSU. They lose and they drop 10 spots because the pollsters think they are down this year, but when they win, they jump right back because of the history.

By your logic, Hampton should get the #1 seed even though the conference has not shown much in the past.

rokamortis
October 29th, 2005, 06:35 PM
By the way, can any other conference say they've had two teams ranked # 1 this year.

A-10

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Problem is:

WKU still plays UNI and YSU.....

YSU still plays SIU and WKU

SIU still plays YSU, UNI and NDSU

UNI still plays WKU and SIU....

How are those teams all only going to have one loss???????

I didnt' say all of them. I said three of them. WKU, SIU, and YSU could all very easily split their remaining two Gateway games. Of course WKU and SIU also have to win their non-conference games. Does YSU have another non-conference game left? It will be very tough for UNI since they have to run the table.

Hansel
October 29th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Gateway isn't great this year, but will get 2/3 teams in the playoffs

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I think Hampton has a weak schedule and should be in the top 10 only because they are undefeated...but what doesthat have to do with the Gateway?

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 06:38 PM
A-10

I know New Hampshire was , but who else? Was UMass ranked # 1? Don't remember. Besides that the Gateway has had two teams ranked # 1 for numerous weeks.

rokamortis
October 29th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I know New Hampshire was , but who else? Was UMass ranked # 1? Don't remember. Besides that the Gateway has had two teams ranked # 1 for numerous weeks.

JMU.

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 06:40 PM
It means the Gateway has a lot of football between the usual powers to be played over the next couple of weeks. I just don't see getting more than two.

As far as history, look at GSU. They lose and they drop 10 spots because the pollsters think they are down this year, but when they win, they jump right back because of the history.

By your logic, Hampton should get the #1 seed even though the conference has not shown much in the past.

Comparing Hampton and their conference to the Gateway doesn't present a very intelligent argument.

siugrad99
don't waste your breath on here anyone other than A10 or Big Sky and your clueless, ECB at its best. blah blah blah a10 &big sky rule, ok u happy now

Toppermaniac
JMU.

JMU is not having a good year. Guess they might has started the year # 1 as a carry over from last year, but it obviously wasn't merited.

rokamortis
October 29th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Not offering any commentary - just the answer to your question.

SeattleGriz
October 29th, 2005, 06:42 PM
I think Hampton has a weak schedule and should be in the top 10 only because they are undefeated...but what doesthat have to do with the Gateway?

You were saying history didn't matter by asking what the past had to do with how many teams get in the playoffs. It doesn't matter if a team is 11-0 in the regular season, only to lose out early in the playoffs.

If you don't think history matters, then Hampton should get the #1 seed.

Tod
October 29th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Gateway isn't great this year, but will get 2/3 teams in the playoffs

I disagree. I think the Gateway is GREAT this year, and will get 2 or three in.

Pantherpower
October 29th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I'm sick an tired of yesterdays news bulletins, blukeys. It was TWO years ago that Delaware went through and tore up the competition (UNI included) in the playoffs. Well deserved, dominant performance, but it was '03 my friend and it's a tired argument. Fast forward to the present and acknowledge that the Gateway is very balanced and talented (like the A-10) this year and like the A-10, the Gateway is beating up on each other. Your lack of respect really rubs me wrong. We are a proud and accomplished conference. Yes, I will accept your apology.

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 06:44 PM
I'm sure you meant no offense to me or my Big Sky brothers and sisters with that stupid A$$ comment.

:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

Our 3rd best team talent wise came into your powerhouse all everything squad and beeeotched em last year (#1 seed if not mistaken?)

ok, forget last year....Ifthey let 3 or 4 teams from the west into the party, in different brackets and you may see 3 or 4 teams in the Semi's from the BSC and GW.

Two things here smartass. If I remember, that playoff game last year was extremely close. If that's what you call an ass whipping, maybe you need to get a clue. Second, what in the HELL does last year have to do with this year? I keep hearing last year, etc. It has absolutely zero bearing on anything. Maybe you're too dense to reazlize it, but last year was over last December.

blukeys
October 29th, 2005, 06:44 PM

The A-10 only worries about having their team ranked #1 at the end of the year. Polls and rankings are for guys like Pete and Don Hansen so they can pump up their midwest readership. (No one else pays attention to those guys.)

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 06:47 PM
You were saying history didn't matter by asking what the past had to do with how many teams get in the playoffs. It doesn't matter if a team is 11-0 in the regular season, only to lose out early in the playoffs.

If you don't think history matters, then Hampton should get the #1 seed.

History doesn't have a damn thing to do with it. They shouldn't get a seed because they don't play anyone. That simple. It has nothing to do with history.

Tod
October 29th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Two things here smartass. If I remember, that playoff game last year was extremely close. If that's what you call an ass whipping, maybe you need to get a clue. Second, what in the HELL does last year have to do with this year? I keep hearing last year, etc. It has absolutely zero bearing on anything. Maybe you're too dense to reazlize it, but last year was over last December.

Who said anything about an ass whipping? Besides, DWTF said "forget about last year" and offered an opinion. What's the problem?

Pantherpower
October 29th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Hey blukeys, seriously, we'll roll out the red carpet for you and any other team from the A-10 here at the UNI-Dome. If you want to play that tired azz A-10 card ask Maine and W&M how they did here in the UNI-Dome. Your lack of respect sickens me. :rolleyes:

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 06:49 PM
The A-10 only worries about having their team ranked #1 at the end of the year. Polls and rankings are for guys like Pete and Don Hansen so they can pump up their midwest readership. (No one else pays attention to those guys.)

Oh really!!!! Well then, why do you guys waste your time on the AGS poll? Again, not a very intelligent argument.

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Who said anything about an ass whipping? Besides, DWTF said "forget about last year" and offered an opinion. What's the problem?

Well Tod, go back and read his post. He said their 3rd best team (EWU) came into SIU yard and "beeeotched them". (yea, I know very juvenile, but he's the one that posted it that way) Just how in the hell would you translate that crap?

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Hey blukeys, seriously, we'll roll out the red carpet for you and any other team from the A-10 here at the UNI-Dome. If you want to play that tired azz A-10 card ask Maine and W&M how they did here in the UNI-Dome. Your lack of respect sickens me. :rolleyes:

I also don't see any of the great, great A-10 or Big Sky teams traveling to Bowling Green either. We tried to get a game with New Hampshire this past off-season and they cancelled. Wonder why? Don't give me that crap about getting a 1-A game, whether that's accurate or not. Bottom line, we tried to set up the game and they backed out.

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 06:58 PM
It's getting a little tough to take all the A-10 and Big Sky crap in here. You guys seem to think if it doesn't happen in your conferences, it doesn't matter. A-10 fans are much worse than Big Sky, but you guys are gaining. There are normally several teams from the Gateway, SoCon, and a few other conferences right in the thick of the run for the title every year, but you guys seem to forget this. Bottom line, you're really rubbing many of us the wrong way, so how about just getting over yourselves. Talk to your A.D.s. I'm quite sure WKU would love to get some home and aways with your teams.

Tod
October 29th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Well Tod, go back and read his post. He said their 3rd best team (EWU) came into SIU yard and "beeeotched them". (yea, I know very juvenile, but he's the one that posted it that way) Just how in the hell would you translate that crap?

I would translate it as "Beat the #1 ranked team in the country on their home field". And that's what happened.

Toppermaniac
October 29th, 2005, 07:03 PM
I would translate it as "Beat the #1 ranked team in the country on their home field". And that's what happened.

Oh, I see. So you step in for one of your conference brethern and then pretty much ignore my response to you. I should've known that's how you would translate it. Why did I even bother?

SeattleGriz
October 29th, 2005, 07:03 PM
History doesn't have a damn thing to do with it. They shouldn't get a seed because they don't play anyone. That simple. It has nothing to do with history.

So if the Gateway does the usual, and pounds the crap out of each other and they have a bunch of 8-3 and 7-4 teams, why should they be looked at more than anyone else? History.

Need I remind you that the only upper level opponent YSU has beaten so far is Illinios State.

blukeys
October 29th, 2005, 07:10 PM
I'm sick an tired of yesterdays news bulletins, blukeys. It was TWO years ago that Delaware went through and tore up the competition (UNI included) in the playoffs. Well deserved, dominant performance, but it was '03 my friend and it's a tired argument. Fast forward to the present and acknowledge that the Gateway is very balanced and talented (like the A-10) this year and like the A-10, the Gateway is beating up on each other. Your lack of respect really rubs me wrong. We are a proud and accomplished conference. Yes, I will accept your apology.

The issue is getting 3 teams in the playoffs which represents 38% of the conference. Assuming that percentage in the A-10 suggests that the A-10 should get 3 to 4 teams in the playoffs. Will you support 4 A-10 teams? Richmond, Umass, UNH and W&M. All 4 teams are pretty equal. Who is better and more important how is that different than the Gateway discussion? Is the Gateway balanced? In my view Yes. Is the A-10 with 12 teams equally balanced also Yes. But someone from the top 3 will probably be bounced. That is the way it goes. I saw teams in the playoffs last year that could have been beaten by the 5th place A-10 or 3rd place Gateway. Whether a team might deserve a playoff spot is entirely different than will they get a playoff spot. The question on this thread adresses the latter and NOT the former.

For the record the Gateway's performance in '04 was also one and done. I guess that is also ancient history. If we don't go on past playoff history, Let's really open this up. Can the OVC get 2 playoff spots? (Ignore playoff history as this means nothing today) Does the MEAC deserve 2 Playoff spots? (they had 2 and went 0-2 in '03 and we all know that is ancient history)

The issue of past playoff performance ALWAYS is a factor. The 2002 playoff run (ancient history) got WKU in the '03 playoffs where they beat an OVC team and then were whipped by Wofford. WKU's playoff performance helped the Gateway get 4 teams 50% of the conference in the playoffs. I heard no complaints then from Gateway adherents that 2002 was ancient history and that the conference only deserved 2 playoff teams in '03.

You Pantherpower have a double standard. When Playoff performance gets your conference 4 teams, one half of the conference and 25% of the playoff field you have no problem. I viewed the UNI board in '03 and all the posters thought that all was right in the world with this arrangement based on recent playoff history.

However, When playoff performance the previous year ('04) is mentioned for you guys, then having no more teams than the Big Sky or Patriot League is considered an insult. Well I happen to think that those 2 leagues along with the A-10 are also balanced. Please explain to me how the Gateway is so much superior to the Big Sky that they deserve 3 slots but the BSC only deserves 2?

Pantherpower
October 29th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Take it easy on Tod, the UM fan. He isn't piling on. Besides, as far as Down with the Foe, who can get overly upset with someone who is a Seinfeld fan? :D

blukeys
October 29th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Besides, as far as Down with the Foe, who can get overly upset with someone who is a Seinfeld fan? :D

well we do agree on that. ;) ;) ;) :D

Pantherpower
October 29th, 2005, 07:21 PM
You were the one who brought up '03, Blukeys, not me. BTW, how did WKU do in '02? Yes, if you go off of past playoff history, the Gateway is very deserving. Don't pull this crap of using the past two years. When in my post did I say that the A-10 didn't deserve 3-4 spots. Very solid conference, obviously (see UD '03 and JMU '04) Where you lose my respect and rub me wrong is where you get off saying the Gateway is weak based off of the past 2 years performances. So, yes, I am looking at history here and based off of history, the Gateway is right there with the A-10 for consideration for 3-4 bids depending on how things play out.

My argument for keeping multiple teams from the MEAC or OVC holds up when you look at their comprehensive history as well. Anyhow, I can see us going back and forth on this and we will both be :deadhorse In summary, never said the A-10 was underserving of multiple bids, but NEITHER is the Gateway!

Pantherpower
October 29th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Posted before seeing your comment, blukeys. I can see you are a Seinfeld fan as well. Cheers!! ;) :beerchug:

Hansel
October 29th, 2005, 07:24 PM
You were the one who brought up '03, Blukeys, not me. BTW, how did WKU do in '02? Yes, if you go off of past playoff history, the Gateway is very deserving. Don't pull this crap of using the past two years. When in my post did I say that the A-10 didn't deserve 3-4 spots. Very solid conference, obviously (see UD '03 and JMU '04) Where you lose my respect and rub me wrong is where you get off saying the Gateway is weak based off of the past 2 years performances. So, yes, I am looking at history here and based off of history, the Gateway is right there with the A-10 for consideration for 3-4 bids depending on how things play out.

My argument for keeping multiple teams from the MEAC or OVC holds up when you look at their comprehensive history as well. Anyhow, I can see us going back and forth on this and we will both be :deadhorse In summary, never said the A-10 was underserving of multiple bids, but NEITHER is the Gateway!
agree with everything except...

you have to factor in that A-10 has 12 teams as compared to the 8 team Gateway,

therefore assuming the conferences are equal in quality, the A-10 should 3 teams to every 2 from the Gateway

Tod
October 29th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Oh, I see. So you step in for one of your conference brethern and then pretty much ignore my response to you. I should've known that's how you would translate it. Why did I even bother?

I'm not sure what the response it that I ignored. Also, if you'll notice MY first post in this thread, I said that I believe the Gateway is GREAT this year (yes, in caps).

blukeys
October 29th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Posted before seeing your comment, blukeys. I can see you are a Seinfeld fan as well. Cheers!! ;) :beerchug:

Yes I still watch the reruns. "Not that there is anything wrong with that" ;) ;) ;)

galojay
October 29th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I don't think we can answer how many until the final play has been made. The Gateway is unreal this year.

YSU beats Ill State
Ill State beats SIU
SIU beats WKU
WKU beats Ill State
UNI beats YSU

It is only going to get crazier! Their is no clear favorite.

blukeys
October 29th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Well in 2003 you got 4 and they were all out by the quarterfinals last year you got 2 and they were both out in the first round. 2 is the max you deserve and any more than that is a huge Christmas gift. :cool:

This is my original post which was the 2nd on this thread. I guess I could have been diplomatic but over the past couple of years I have attended the Captain Cat School of posting and have learned that more responses are generated when a sarcastic, humourous or obscene post is submitted. I couldn't access the bikini.com site soon enough so I settled for sarcastic.

So let me settle this in diplomatic Discussion Board Terms. The Gateway will get no more than 2 spots because:

1. There are only 16 slots to take.
2. While there is parity in the Gateway, there is also parity in the A-10 conference (which has 12 members) parity in the Patriot, parity in the SoCon (possible 3 teams) and Parity in the Big Sky.
3. Past Playoff performance effects the number of teams invited. Check out the invites for the A-10 and Patriot in '04. Both doubled their playoff spots after '03 finals' appearances. Added evidence 4 Gateway teams in the '03 playoffs after the WKU' 02 championship run. The committee watches this.
4. Possible playoff invites to Coastal and a GWFC team. This takes away potential teams from multiple bid conferences making a 3 bid Gateway, Big Sky or SoCon problematic.
5. The increased parity in I-AA gives a situation where instead of having 2 or 3 teams competing for the last playoff spot, we will have 6 to 8 teams being considered for that same spot. I think the bubble teams from a multiple bid conference will suffer.

Now that I have overtaxed my brain I will get another drink and watch some Seinfeld reruns. I am hoping for the one with the girl in a bra on the the streets of New York causes Kramer to have an accident.

Pantherpower
October 29th, 2005, 08:12 PM
I'm kinda partial to the one where George is a marine biologist. Or where he's a "latex salesman" :D Kramer answering the phone, George running out of the bathroom with his pants down.....priceless! :D :D

blukeys
October 29th, 2005, 08:19 PM
I'm kinda partial to the one where George is a marine biologist. Or where he's a "latex salesman" :D Kramer answering the phone, George running out of the bathroom with his pants down.....priceless! :D :D

Elaine dancing or George on the Handicapped scooter. ;) :D :D

WesternKentuckyKelly
October 29th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Art Vandelay

Vandelay Industries