PDA

View Full Version : patriot League getting 2 bids this year again?

lugo02
October 29th, 2005, 05:39 PM
After this week results an 8-3 Lehigh, Lafayette or possibly Colgate could get an at-large bid, because of the number of 4 lost teams in other conferences.
We'll see how this holds up in the coming weeks

Keep in mind that an 8-3 Lafayette would have beaten the winner of the A-12 South, if Richmond beats W&M.

JALMOND
October 29th, 2005, 05:42 PM
It is not 4 and you are out, its seven and you are in. The Patriot's history in the playoffs in recent years, tho, should help. Remains to be seen.

blukeys
October 29th, 2005, 06:38 PM
I don't think so. Lehigh is in the driver's seat for the autobid and there is real parity in the Patriot League . But there is parity everywhere. The last couple of years the Patriot #2 team was competing against 2 or 3 other teams for a slot. This year there will be about 5 or 6 other teams. That will make things dicey for a PL #2.

lugo02
October 29th, 2005, 06:48 PM
But if a couple of those 5-6 teams have 4 losses then things will be more interesting and recent history shows that the I-AA Committee does not think the PL is as bad as other people think.

colgate13
October 29th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Lehigh is in the driver's seat for the autobid

Uh, no. Lafayette is in sole possession of 1st place now. The league is theirs to lose.

We, of course though, will try our best to help them lose it next week... and then become their biggest fans for the last game of the year.

Either way, I agree that an 8-3 at large PL team just got a little more possible with the losses today. 3 weeks of football still left though... It will be a race to the finish

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Uh, no. Lafayette is in sole possession of 1st place now. The league is theirs to lose.

Lafayette is in first place but only they and Lehigh control their own destiny. Win out and either one gets the auto-bid. I'm glad Lehigh has them at Goodman this year. I think Colgate will hand them their first league loss next week.

colgate13
October 30th, 2005, 07:00 AM
I think Colgate will hand them their first league loss next week.

Me too. And I think they'll beat Lehigh at goodman for the first time since 1989!:D

UNHWildCats
October 30th, 2005, 07:42 AM

We, of course though, will try our best to help them lose it next week... and then become their biggest fans for the last game of the year.

Either way, I agree that an 8-3 at large PL team just got a little more possible with the losses today. 3 weeks of football still left though... It will be a race to the finish

Lafayette may be in first but Lehigh hosts Lafayette to close the season so Lehigh is in the drivers seat in that conference.

LUHawker
October 30th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Me too. And I think they'll beat Lehigh at goodman for the first time since 1989!:D

Based on what? I'm guessing hope, so that Colgate finds a way to back door the bid. ;) That being said, what is your objective opinion on that topic?

ngineer
October 30th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Too soon to tell. If Colgate and Lehigh win out, I think Colgate should get strong consideration. I did not get to see this week's game, but the stats certainly show the Raider offense is alive, and next week's game with Lafayette will tell us how real the Leopard defense is. I give the edge to Colgate, but it should be a very good game. We'll be listening for the scores over at Goodman! ;)

TheValleyRaider
October 30th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Based on what? I'm guessing hope, so that Colgate finds a way to back door the bid. ;) That being said, what is your objective opinion on that topic?

I think he was kidding on that. In all seriousness, I no longer feel comfortable making predictions about anything related to I-AA football this season. Are Colgate's League title hopes in trouble? Yes, especially with HC losing and us needing to win out and have Lafayette win in Bethlehem. OTOH, with everything else that's happened this year, I certainly wouldn't be surprised with Lafayette winning. :twocents:

LUHawker
October 30th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I think he was kidding on that. In all seriousness, I no longer feel comfortable making predictions about anything related to I-AA football this season. Are Colgate's League title hopes in trouble? Yes, especially with HC losing and us needing to win out and have Lafayette win in Bethlehem. OTOH, with everything else that's happened this year, I certainly wouldn't be surprised with Lafayette winning. :twocents:

Yes, I go that he was kidding, but still would like to read his objective opinion. I agree entirely that I-AA has been a total crapshoot this year. After losses to CCSU and Dartmouth, I thought you guys were done - and then all of a sudden Colgate finds an offense, which was very impressive yesterday. Saraceno played a 'perfect' 1st half, but then had a little more trouble with the pressure in the 2nd. Still, Colgate is very solid and I wouldn't be surprised to see you guys end the season with only one league loss. Hopefully that is only good enough for second place in the PL but good enough for a playoff bid. :cool:

colgate13
October 30th, 2005, 02:01 PM
I was absolutely making a tounge in cheek comment. I don't know how the Lehigh/Lafayette game will fair. I can only hope it goes our way, but we've got 3 games of our own to worry about first.

I still say though that the Leopards are in first right now, so it's their league to lose.

OL FU
October 30th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I think Lehigh has been the only ranked team all year. If they continue to be ranked and another team gets the auto bid then the PL may get two. But I doubt it. Otherwise, someone in the PL needs to start moving up in the polls and rankings quickly or it will not happen.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 30th, 2005, 02:48 PM
I think Lehigh has been the only ranked team all year. If they continue to be ranked and another team gets the auto bid then the PL may get two. But I doubt it. Otherwise, someone in the PL needs to start moving up in the polls and rankings quickly or it will not happen.

I think an 8-3 Lafayette with a win over Richmond or an 8-3 Colgate with a win over Lafayette and Umass would deserve consideration. This is assuming Lehigh wins out and gets the auto bid, although you know what they say about assumptions..lol

OL FU
October 30th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I think an 8-3 Lafayette with a win over Richmond or an 8-3 Colgate with a win over Lafayette and Umass would deserve consideration. This is assuming Lehigh wins out and gets the auto bid, although you know what they say about assumptions..lol

I am not disagreeing with you. But they have to get the recognition in the polls to get that consideration (or at least I assume :D )

TypicalTribe
October 31st, 2005, 01:44 PM

The problem is that both Colgate and Lafayette are buried down around #40 in the GPI, so they will probably not receive much consideration. Colgate has losses to CCSU and Dartmouth that are absolute killers and Lafayette has done nothing special to merit an at-large look either.