PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League Recruiting Question

flexbone
September 11th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I'm trying to get clarification.
I understand the Ivy does not call their "football scholarships" the same thing everyone else does, but nonetheless the kid is going to the school school because of his football ability.
I've heard people say that ALL Ivy league "Scholarships" are need based, calculated by the parent income.
My interpretation - we are offering you a "Scholarship" That is NOT a full ride like other "Football Scholarships" but a percentage of tuition based on your parents income.
Is my interpretation correct - They are NOT Full ride scholarships?

OLPOP
September 11th, 2008, 11:52 AM
They can be. It depends on household income.

Franks Tanks
September 11th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I'm trying to get clarification.
I understand the Ivy does not call their "football scholarships" the same thing everyone else does, but nonetheless the kid is going to the school school because of his football ability.
I've heard people say that ALL Ivy league "Scholarships" are need based, calculated by the parent income.
My interpretation - we are offering you a "Scholarship" That is NOT a full ride like other "Football Scholarships" but a percentage of tuition based on your parents income.
Is my interpretation correct - They are NOT Full ride scholarships?

Ivy league is technically non-scholarship. They may be recruited or admitted to the school with the aid of their football ability, but any financial aid comes from means that are available to all students not just athletes. This is my interpertation, but we can write a book about this.

DetroitFlyer
September 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Ivy league is technically non-scholarship. They may be recruited or admitted to the school with the aid of their football ability, but any financial aid comes from means that are available to all students not just athletes. This is my interpertation, but we can write a book about this.

The Ivy League and the PFL are the same. Both do not offer "athletic" scholarships. So, if an player at Harvard or Dayton quits the team, whatever aid he gets from the school, he keeps. At a PL school, that is not the case. If a player quits the team, he might lose the aid he is receiving because he is a football player.

That is why the NCAA considers the PFL and the Ivy League, "non-athletic" scholarship and why the PL has "athletic scholarship equivalents" in the eyes of the NCAA....

Now, a school like Harvard has more money than God, so they can pretty much offer a full ride to anyone who is admitted, even students that happen to play football.... Probably not true at a Valparaiso or Butler for most students that happen to play football..... But, there are schools in the PFL that do offer very good aid packaages for exceptional students that also happen to be football players....

Redwyn
September 11th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Several of my friends from high school fell into the Ivy aid scheme. It's a popular tactic with the ancient eight: to get recruited for a sport, take the aid, then leave the sport after the first semester and continue with the subsidized tuition.

Model Citizen
September 11th, 2008, 01:11 PM
The Ivy and PFL are both non-scholarship. They are the only n/s leagues left in D-I.

However, in recruiting, they are not the same. The Ivy has an academic index, AI "bands" with recruit limits, and overall recruit limits. 25 per year, I think.

So the Ivy has institutionalized admitting students who wouldn't have a prayer of getting in without football.

On the other hand Dayton may take a kid with the same GPA-SAT-Class Rank. Are they stretching their admission policies for him? No. In fact, he may qualify for merit aid, something the Ivies don't offer.

The PFL recruit will be more likely to be stuck with student loans, although Davidson apparently has need-based aid sufficient to eliminate all loans.