PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly-McNeese???

McNeese72
September 11th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I think today will be the day, we will find out if there will be a game or not. I not very optimistic.

I think if it is cancelled, it will be more because of Ike screwing up Cal Poly's travel plans other than the conditions in Lake Charles at game time.

From what I have heard Cal Poly was supposed to fly into Houston on Friday. Then bus to Beaumont where they would stay at a hotel there. Then to Lake Charles on Saturday and back to Beaumont Saturday night and then flying out of Houston on Sunday.

With the Beaumont area under a manditory evacuation, the problems of flying in and out of Houston, and the driving conditions in the middle of the evacuation, I can't see them making the trip. Unless they can rearrange their plans to fly somewhere to the east of Lake Charles. I think it is too short of a notice to do that.

My opinion, I expect to hear an annoucement today that the game is cancelled. I hope I'm wrong.

Doc

Edit: I'm not blaming Cal Poly in anyway, shape, or form, if the game is cancelled because they can't execute their travel plans.

mcveyrl
September 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Could they fly into somewhere north?

I have no idea of the geography of the area.

McNeese72
September 11th, 2008, 08:46 AM

From their travel plans, I assume they were flying commercial rather than a charter flight (but I could be wrong). If that is so, it would be harder to reschedule on different flights.

Anyway, north is not a good option because the storm is supposed to take a right turn after landfall and it would be going across the very top of Louisiana. It wouldn't screw up their arrival but might screw up their departure.

Doc

MSU_77
September 11th, 2008, 08:53 AM
If Cal Poly had booked their flight to New Orleans instead of Houston there would be no problem, but they couldn't have know that ahead of time. They should ask the airline they are using if they can be re-booked on a New Orleans flight.

BISON Thunder
September 11th, 2008, 08:55 AM
If Cal Poly had booked their flight to New Orleans instead of Houston there would be no problem, but they couldn't have know that ahead of time. They should ask the airline they are using if they can be re-booked on a New Orleans flight.

Simple...just tell the pilots to fly to NO. After all, this is football.

appfan2008
September 11th, 2008, 09:05 AM
i thought most teams used chartered planes these days???

anyway this game should go on if cal poly can get there... which once again if they are on a charter they will bc of flying to NO or BR or shrevport...

McNeeserocket
September 11th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I think today will be the day, we will find out if there will be a game or not. I not very optimistic.

I think if it is cancelled, it will be more because of Ike screwing up Cal Poly's travel plans other than the conditions in Lake Charles at game time.

From what I have heard Cal Poly was supposed to fly into Houston on Friday. Then bus to Beaumont where they would stay at a hotel there. Then to Lake Charles on Saturday and back to Beaumont Saturday night and then flying out of Houston on Sunday.

With the Beaumont area under a manditory evacuation, the problems of flying in and out of Houston, and the driving conditions in the middle of the evacuation, I can't see them making the trip. Unless they can rearrange their plans to fly somewhere to the east of Lake Charles. I think it is too short of a notice to do that.

My opinion, I expect to hear an annoucement today that the game is cancelled. I hope I'm wrong.

Doc

Edit: I'm not blaming Cal Poly in anyway, shape, or form, if the game is cancelled because they can't execute their travel plans.

I thought I read a post from a Cal Poly fan that said that they had a charter flight. Why would they even entertain flying into Houston and then busing to Lake Charles before anyone ever worried about a hurricane? Most teams fly their charters directly into Lake Charles (we have two airports who support large charter planes).

Of course now it is probably a mute point. I work at McNeese and just got the word that we are closing today at noon. Next announcement most likely will be that the game is canceled. I hope I am wrong, but they are expecting us to lose power regardless of where the hurricane hits. According to announcement made by City and Parish officials this morning, they expect us to be without power for at least 5 days if the hurricane stays on current predicted track.

appfan2008
September 11th, 2008, 09:09 AM
well if the school itself is closing at noon TODAY then there really isnt much doubt about NCAA DIVISION I FCS's game of the week :(

McNeese72
September 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM
The power loss thing pretty much seals the deal.

What's bad about the power loss is that most of the repair trucks are in Southeast La. putting the Baton Rouge area back together from the damage suffered during Gustav. :(

Doc

appfan2008
September 11th, 2008, 09:13 AM
The power loss thing pretty much seals the deal.

What's bad about the power loss is that most of the repair trucks are in Southeast La. putting the Baton Rouge area back together from the damage suffered during Gustav. :(

Doc

this is turning out to be quite the rough year in LA for storms and the whole SE for that matter...

sort of a wake up call after how easy 06 and 07 were...

McTailGator
September 11th, 2008, 09:20 AM

Cal Poly is flying Comercial. We have 2 airports in Lake Charles capable of taking charter flights. One even has an 11,000 feet runway.

BUT it is cheaper for them to go Comercial.

Lake Charles will be getting up to 75 mph winds and a lot of rain and possible tornado's

It's probably not in the best interest of either team if they play this in these kind of conditions.

I really doubt if Cal-Poly would want to put their players in harms way like that. I don't blame them.

McNeeserocket
September 11th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I just called McNeese Athletic office and the game has not be cancelled as of yet.

However, I would be surprised if they don't cancel it later today.

appfan2008
September 11th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I just called McNeese Athletic office and the game has not be cancelled as of yet.

However, I would be surprised if they don't cancel it later today.

as i said... with the whole campus shutting down today there is no way they play that game...

McTailGator
September 11th, 2008, 09:39 AM
as i said... with the whole campus shutting down today there is no way they play that game...

I agree.

People have a lot to do getting their houses prepared. Cal Poly needs to just keep their players out of harms way.

This map shows that Lake Charles could be expericing 70 mph winds at game time.

2 things we must have to play a game at 7:PM

An opponent
Electricity

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200809_windprob34.gif

slostang
September 11th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Cal Poly was flying on a commercial flight because of $$$$. They are traveling by charter to Madison for the Wisconsin and South Dakota State games. Commercial for McNeese State and Northwestern State.

If the game is canceled I hope they reschedule it for another year. I was all set to go to this game and was really looking forward to it.

msupokes1
September 11th, 2008, 10:09 AM
According to the McNeese Athletic Department the game has been cancelled and will not be rescheduled this year.

grizband
September 11th, 2008, 10:15 AM
According to the McNeese Athletic Department the game has been cancelled and will not be rescheduled this year.
That is a shame, if true. xnonono2x This game would have been a premier match up of top FCS teams.

RabidRabbit
September 11th, 2008, 10:21 AM
For Safety's sake, good choice.

For football, and FCS sake, xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Was hoping these two SDSU opponents would take it out on each other before coming to Brookings to try to beat up my Bunnies :p :p :p

Was looking forward to tracking this game and probably chatting with Slostang during the game.

I agree with Slo, I hope these two match up another year, soon, for this game.

Be safe McNeese, and batten down them hatches!xbowx xbowx

GradBison
September 11th, 2008, 10:29 AM
That is too bad... But be safe everyone in the area.

McNeese72
September 11th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Storm's timing sucks, because we are scheduled to play Open Date U. next week.

Doc

McNeeseState311
September 11th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I am not happy. Now the only game I can watch this week is LSU v. N. Texas. I will probably just stay home and watch USC v. OSU.

McNeeserocket
September 11th, 2008, 11:07 AM

http://www.mcneesesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=22000&ATCLID=1579705

Website states the following:

McNeese State’s football game set for Saturday in Cowboy Stadium with Cal Poly has been cancelled due to the potential effects of Hurricane Ike on the city of Lake Charles.

“This decision was made in the interest of safety for our fans,” McNeese president Robert Hebert said.

Also, Calcasieu Parish, in which Lake Charles and McNeese State are located, has called for a full parish curfew from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. to begin on Friday. And, McNeese State is slated to close Thursday at noon.

“Obviously we wanted to play the game. It would have been a great game for our program and for the FCS,” said McNeese athletic director Tommy McClelland. “However, we have had to cancel due to circumstances beyond our control.”

McClelland said that plans will be made to bring Cal Poly into Cowboy Stadium in an upcoming season. The Cowboys do go to San Luis Obispo, CA for a contest against the Mustangs in 2010.

IABison
September 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Definitely the right decision.

I was looking forward to it, though... it was my game of the week.

Grizzaholic
September 11th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I will echo pretty much what Grizband, IABison and everyother FCS fan out there is saying, This sucks because it was going to be another great game this weekend. And also this game would, and still probably will, have playoff implications down the road. Both teams' SOS will now be weakened and every loss will mean just that much more.

FCS Go!
September 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Re: CP's schedule are S. Dakota and NCC D-I counters?

I'm sure this has been covered before but I've forgotten.:o

Stang Fever
September 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I just want to know how this is going to affect Cal Poly's Playoff chances

TexasTerror
September 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I just want to know how this is going to affect Cal Poly's Playoff chances

Committee has historically kept that in account...

McNeese needs to buy out of Southern Virginia game and host Cal Poly during CP's bye week...xnodx

FCS Go!
September 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM

McNeese needs to buy out of Southern Virginia game and host Cal Poly during CP's bye week...xnodx

Or CP could buy them out.

poly51
September 11th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Cal Poly is bound to be somewhat cautious. They lost 16 members of the football team in a plane crash taking off in the fog in Toledo, Ohio after a game against Bowling Green in 1960.

appfan2008
September 11th, 2008, 01:13 PM
probably the safe/right thing to do but still sad... stay safe everyone...

RabidRabbit
September 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Capital Idea TT!!! This would resolve most issues. Then UND can host Southern VA instead.xsmiley_wix

EmeryZach
September 11th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Oh man this stinks. It stinks worse for the team that would have won.

Poly Pigskin
September 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
That's too bad it's canceled, but it definitely sounds like the right call. Hopefully we can get a counter on the schedule during the bye, I don't want to make the committee decide whether or not to let us in if we're sitting at 7-3 with 6 DI wins.

RabidRabbit
September 12th, 2008, 08:09 AM
That's too bad it's canceled, but it definitely sounds like the right call. Hopefully we can get a counter on the schedule during the bye, I don't want to make the committee decide whether or not to let us in if we're sitting at 7-3 with 6 DI wins.

If this happens, we already know the committee's decision. xthumbsdownx xthumbsdownx

Wolfman
September 12th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Too bad. Poly would have been 1-2 if the game would have been played.