PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook/Maine makes Mike and Mike

bodoyle
September 11th, 2008, 07:59 AM
They thought it was easy to come up with a name for easy games (OSU USC) Clash at the Coliseum, so they chose a random game and came up with Stony Brook @ Maine.

JMUFortier
September 11th, 2008, 08:51 AM
The winner for the contest:

The Battle for the Butter xeyebrowx

JMUFortier
September 11th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Breakdown from the game on Monday...

mcveyrl
September 11th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Dang it!

Cancel my thread.

mcveyrl
September 11th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I think McShay will do a good job of it. He I think he genuinely enjoys our level of football. He already said that he likes the Black Bears in the game.

ur2k
September 11th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I think McShay will do a good job of it. He I think he genuinely enjoys our level of football. He already said that he likes the Black Bears in the game.

McShay went to Richmond. Was actually recruited to play football

mcveyrl
September 11th, 2008, 09:11 AM
McShay went to Richmond. Was actually recruited to play football

Didn't know that, but it makes sense. He was high on Hightower and Flacco last year...

Thanks for the info.

89Hen
September 11th, 2008, 10:21 AM
FWIW, they didn't have very nice things to say about the game and Stony Brook in particular. :(

mcveyrl
September 11th, 2008, 10:23 AM
FWIW, they didn't have very nice things to say about the game and Stony Brook in particular. :(

I agree that it was not good exposure today (but still exposure), but I still think McShay will legitimately cover the game.

Seawolf97
September 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM
The controversy is well received. Last year upstart Stonybrook came from behind and tied the Blackbears then went on to win double OT. Stonybrook has to prove that last year was no fluke. Looking at Maine struggle with Monmouth a top tier NEC team makes me wonder-even taking the weather as a factor last Saturday. We beat Monmouth in 2007 by a TD in a pretty evenly matched game. So this should be a close one but a win for Stonybrook.

Eight Legger
September 11th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Hey Wolf, was your game against us last year just an oddity or what? I only ask because it seems like you guys are pretty competitive against a lot of other good teams, but the game last year down here last year wasn't competitive. Did you have some guys hurt? Kudos to your program for a steady rise.

bigsouth39
September 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM
If I do recall Eight Legger....the score was 14-0 at the half!!!!.....the game got away during the third quarter....so it was a competitive game to start but then got away....the first half also included a punt return that returned by you guys on ur first possession which was taken to the house for like 60 yards or so.....it was closer in the first half than the score might have suggested

Bull Fan
September 11th, 2008, 01:58 PM
The controversy is well received. Last year upstart Stonybrook came from behind and tied the Blackbears then went on to win double OT. Stonybrook has to prove that last year was no fluke. Looking at Maine struggle with Monmouth a top tier NEC team makes me wonder-even taking the weather as a factor last Saturday. We beat Monmouth in 2007 by a TD in a pretty evenly matched game. So this should be a close one but a win for Stonybrook.

Dude, it's your school, and you can't even spell it right. It's STONY BROOK. xreadx

danefan
September 11th, 2008, 01:59 PM
There are SBU fans on here that spell it Stoney Brook.

Stony Brook, Stonybrook, SBU, Stoneybrook. All the same.

aust42
September 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I can't listen to Mike and Mike. I can't stand their tough guy and wimpy act. And they have more commercial time than they do air time. There are entirely WAY too many LONG commercials.

Seawolf97
September 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Hey Wolf, was your game against us last year just an oddity or what? I only ask because it seems like you guys are pretty competitive against a lot of other good teams, but the game last year down here last year wasn't competitive. Did you have some guys hurt? Kudos to your program for a steady rise.

Thanks for the kudos. I listened to that game last year on the radio and honestly I think they had bad night. One of our running backs was injured but did play but thats no excuse. I dont think we would have won but we should have put some points on the board.xthumbsupx

Bull Fan
September 11th, 2008, 02:53 PM
There are SBU fans on here that spell it Stoney Brook.

Stony Brook, Stonybrook, SBU, Stoneybrook. All the same.

I'm embarrassed for them, it makes them look bush league.

Uncle Buck
September 11th, 2008, 03:21 PM

You just like to stir the pot...and hey, Happy Birthday!

Seawolf97
September 11th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Actualy spending hours on end using Instant Messenger at work good spelling sometimes goes by the wayside. Stony Brook is two words like West Hempstead, North Babylon. Im sure you have heard of those placesxlolx
You get tired answering little yellow blinkies all day:)

bainsey
September 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Among the other names emailed in....

"Slaughter at the Sea"
"Laughing Stock at the Lighthouse"
"Bash at the Bear's Den" (a UMaine grad sent in that one)
"Lollapolooza at Lobster Land"
"The Bore on the Shore"
"Beatdown in Bangor"
"The L.L. BeanBowl"
"Clash of the Crabcake Cupcakes"
"Ruckus on the Rocks"
"Cracking the Code at Morse Field"

Truth be told, Orono is 30 miles inland, so a lot of the coastal stuff actually doesn't work. I suppose it's more about repuatation than anything. Still, it was very cool to get this kind of coverage.

UAalum72
September 12th, 2008, 06:38 AM
M & M said today that the winning coach would make an appearance next week and receive an award taken off the producer's desk.

ccd494
September 12th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Truth be told, Orono is 30 miles inland, so a lot of the coastal stuff actually doesn't work. I suppose it's more about repuatation than anything. Still, it was very cool to get this kind of coverage.

It's gotta be more than 30, doesn't it?

uni88
September 12th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Among the other names emailed in....

"Slaughter at the Sea"
"Laughing Stock at the Lighthouse"
"Bash at the Bear's Den" (a UMaine grad sent in that one)
"Lollapolooza at Lobster Land"
"The Bore on the Shore"
"Beatdown in Bangor"
"The L.L. BeanBowl"
"Clash of the Crabcake Cupcakes"
"Ruckus on the Rocks"
"Cracking the Code at Morse Field"

You forgot Lobsters vs. Mobsters.

bodoyle
September 12th, 2008, 01:19 PM
They will do this every week.

Front page of espn.com watch the M&M video

ISUMatt
September 12th, 2008, 06:25 PM
The Bore on the Shore xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

bainsey
September 12th, 2008, 09:41 PM
It's gotta be more than 30, doesn't it?

By the crow flies, it's 30 miles.

JMUFortier
September 13th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Local reaction (Bangor Daily News):

http://www.bangornews.com/detail/50618.html

ccd494
September 18th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Cosgrove misses opportunity: http://bangornews.com/detail/50967.html

I personally appreciated the gratuitous shot at Maine's kicking game at the end of the article.

And is the stat about Maine having the most players on NFL rosters last year accurate?

Seawolf97
September 18th, 2008, 08:22 PM
That is an interesting stat if accuratexcoffeex