PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions (9-13)

JALMOND
September 11th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Well, two weeks into the season and I am sitting at 13-2 so far. While it may look good, keep in mind that the favorites have won all but one game so far (hard to say that Montana was favored going into the Cal Poly game). Basically the season has been a no-brainer, which means that the record should be better than it is. Only five games involving conference teams this week. That said, here they are...

Southern Utah @ UM---The Griz survived their tussle against a strong Cal Poly team on the road last week, a win that has the nation talking about exactly how good this team is. Southern Utah picked up an easy win over DII Adams State, the same team Montana State demolished in week one. The Griz are always tough at home...UM 35, Southern Utah 10.

MSU @ Minnesota---It's hard to imagine the Cats playing any worse than they did last week against Kansas State. As good as they showed in week one was about as bad as they looked in week two. Now a trip to the Big 10 against Minnesota, a team that had its problems against the FCS, particularly North Dakota State, in years past. Before the Kansas State game, the Bobcat faithful were looking at this as a possibly upset. Now they should look at it as possible survival...Minnesota 38, MSU 13.

PSU @ UC-Davis---A bye week gave the Vikings two weeks to prepare for their first FCS game of the season. The quarterback situation seems to be solved for now (Hubel will start), and it also gave them a chance to heal some bruises. Heading on the road to play UC-Davis who is 0-2 but could easily be 2-0 with some very close losses on the road. Something that worked for the Griz last week was that their fans would not go against the team. Maybe it will work for me...PSU 28, UC-Davis 24.

Southern Oregon @ Sac State---After having a win in hand at Colorado State only to fall victim to a lost fumble and made field goal with no time left, the Hornets head back home to face DII Southern Oregon. So close to the win, it is safe to say they did manage to achieve some respectability in the loss. This week, a Southern Oregon team that lost a close game last week to Humboldt State, the team the Hornets beat in week one. Think anything will change?...Sac State 38, Southern Oregon 6.

Dixie State @ WSU---A halftime lead, then a miserable third quarter led the Wildcats to ponder what if at Hawaii last week. This week, DII Dixie State comes to Ogden. Will there be any hangover from the trip to the islands? Will it matter?...WSU 45, Dixie State 7.

Just keep going with the favorites for now, except for Portland State. Five games makes it easier to manage.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 11th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Fairly easy first 3 weeks for picks. The only toss-up is PSU at UC-Davis. I'm going to go with Davis... 35-24. I'll also take EWU 45-0 over Bye.

UNCBears2010
September 11th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Fairly easy first 3 weeks for picks. The only toss-up is PSU at UC-Davis. I'm going to go with Davis... 35-24. I'll also take EWU 45-0 over Bye.

Interesting, I've got UNC by 56 against Bye, that team really sucks, they've never won a game.

I Bleed Purple
September 11th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Interesting, I've got UNC by 56 against Bye, that team really sucks, they've never won a game.

Although have they really ever lost a game?

Washington Generals and Harlem Globetrotters wrapped up in one?

Screamin_Eagle174
September 11th, 2008, 01:31 AM

We're only playing our 3rd stringers this week... xsmiley_wix

SactoHornetFan
September 11th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Nice job Jalmond...though I would make the score of our game closer to 48-3.

Walkon79
September 12th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Agree with the MSU-Minnie pick. Hope the Cats can score THAT many.

GOKATS
September 12th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Agree with the MSU-Minnie pick. Hope the Cats can score THAT many.

Last week was a complete debacle. I think the Cats will score more than 13 and the Gophers will score less than 38. Kansas St. scored 69 last week, but 4 turnovers and 2 blocked punts gave them 42 points. I don't think the Gophers have as good an offense as K St. and the Bobcat 'O' will be better since the line will be more in sync. Special teams was an emphasis in practice this week, so hopefully they got those glitches worked out.

I do think the Gophers will still win though (but I'd love to be wrong).

JALMOND
September 13th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Nice job Jalmond...though I would make the score of our game closer to 48-3.

27-16 although it doesn't look like it was that close. Southern Oregon tougher than you thought?

wapiti
September 13th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Excellent score call on the Weber state game.
your call: 45 -7
Game score 44 -7
but there is still a bit of room for improvement! lol

I Bleed Purple
September 13th, 2008, 11:17 PM
He should have known there would've been one fumbled snap.

:tsk:

Screamin_Eagle174
September 14th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Excellent score call on the Weber state game.
your call: 45 -7
Game score 44 -7
but there is still a bit of room for improvement! lol

Indeed! However, I think I win the PSU-UCD game with my 35-24 Davis pick. Actual score was 38-24.xthumbsupx

SactoHornetFan
September 14th, 2008, 12:12 PM
27-16 although it doesn't look like it was that close. Southern Oregon tougher than you thought?

They are tougher than Humboldt (and how they lost to them I don't know). Of course, we played mostly second and third string on offense and still rolled up 535 yards in offense. I think our defense thought it would be a cakewalk. Now, SOU's qb is a transfer from ucd and he grew up in Bob Biggs spread system. We can't seem to shake anyone who has been a qb at ucd.

But will take the win and learn and move on to Weber.

JALMOND
September 14th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Indeed! However, I think I win the PSU-UCD game with my 35-24 Davis pick. Actual score was 38-24.xthumbsupx

Davis misses the FG in your prediction?xlolx

Both of you forgot about my week one pick between Boise and ISU. I took Boise 48, ISU 7 and the actual score was Boise 49, ISU 7. I guess you could say I took a point from this week's Weber game and gave it to Boise in week one.

As far as the scores, they say a stopped clock is right twice a day.xthumbsupx

JALMOND
September 14th, 2008, 12:18 PM
They are tougher than Humboldt (and how they lost to them I don't know). Of course, we played mostly second and third string on offense and still rolled up 535 yards in offense. I think our defense thought it would be a cakewalk. Now, SOU's qb is a transfer from ucd and he grew up in Bob Biggs spread system. We can't seem to shake anyone who has been a qb at ucd.

But will take the win and learn and move on to Weber.

My opinion, you guys are still looking tough. On to conference play!

JALMOND
September 14th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Well, two weeks into the season and I am sitting at 13-2 so far. While it may look good, keep in mind that the favorites have won all but one game so far (hard to say that Montana was favored going into the Cal Poly game). Basically the season has been a no-brainer, which means that the record should be better than it is. Only five games involving conference teams this week. That said, here they are...

Southern Utah @ UM---The Griz survived their tussle against a strong Cal Poly team on the road last week, a win that has the nation talking about exactly how good this team is. Southern Utah picked up an easy win over DII Adams State, the same team Montana State demolished in week one. The Griz are always tough at home...UM 35, Southern Utah 10.

MSU @ Minnesota---It's hard to imagine the Cats playing any worse than they did last week against Kansas State. As good as they showed in week one was about as bad as they looked in week two. Now a trip to the Big 10 against Minnesota, a team that had its problems against the FCS, particularly North Dakota State, in years past. Before the Kansas State game, the Bobcat faithful were looking at this as a possibly upset. Now they should look at it as possible survival...Minnesota 38, MSU 13.

PSU @ UC-Davis---A bye week gave the Vikings two weeks to prepare for their first FCS game of the season. The quarterback situation seems to be solved for now (Hubel will start), and it also gave them a chance to heal some bruises. Heading on the road to play UC-Davis who is 0-2 but could easily be 2-0 with some very close losses on the road. Something that worked for the Griz last week was that their fans would not go against the team. Maybe it will work for me...PSU 28, UC-Davis 24.

Southern Oregon @ Sac State---After having a win in hand at Colorado State only to fall victim to a lost fumble and made field goal with no time left, the Hornets head back home to face DII Southern Oregon. So close to the win, it is safe to say they did manage to achieve some respectability in the loss. This week, a Southern Oregon team that lost a close game last week to Humboldt State, the team the Hornets beat in week one. Think anything will change?...Sac State 38, Southern Oregon 6.

Dixie State @ WSU---A halftime lead, then a miserable third quarter led the Wildcats to ponder what if at Hawaii last week. This week, DII Dixie State comes to Ogden. Will there be any hangover from the trip to the islands? Will it matter?...WSU 45, Dixie State 7.

Just keep going with the favorites for now, except for Portland State. Five games makes it easier to manage.

4-1 this week. Overall 17-3. Looks good but considering that these first weeks, with as easy as the games were, an idiot would be 19-1 playing just the favorites. I guess that puts me at two games below an idiot. Oh, well, conference play gets underway for Weber State and Sacramento State. That's when the real fun starts.

SactoHornetFan
September 14th, 2008, 06:02 PM
My opinion, you guys are still looking tough. On to conference play!

Thanks....I really thought you guys were going to pull it out after the big rally in the 2nd quarter. I know Glanville wants his type of athlete, but, I think in this day in age, the run and shoot is kind of dead. I think its going to be a good 3-4 years just for PSU to have a winning record with JG.

veinup
September 14th, 2008, 07:20 PM
So what's gonna happen in MSLA next saturday? Early predictions?

Russ B
September 14th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Hoping it'll be more competitive than the previous meeting (1995): 41-20 Montana.

JALMOND
September 14th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Due to Idaho State's game on Thursday with North Dakota, I will be posting the 9-20 predictions on Tuesday night instead of Wednesday night for those that care. Like I posted earlier, I'm about two games behind an idiot so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 14th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Davis misses the FG in your prediction?xlolx

Naw, I just thought Portland State's D would have stopped another drive! xsmiley_wix

Indeed, now the real fun begins... well, at least for most of the conference. We have to stomp D-II WWU first.