PDA

View Full Version : NCAA to use varied GPI

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 03:52 PM
We all know that until 2010 the NEC and Big South leagues can get an AQ into the NCAA playoffs if they have a team that finishes 16th or higher in all three of the GPI, and the Sports Network and Coaches Polls. The skinny is the NCAA will be computing these rankings and only will use computer rankings that include all games that the FCS plays.

Odd one out is SAGARIN. Sags refused to submit a ranking that includes all opponents of the FCS, even though the data is readily available and is used by everyone else. Sags focuses on FBS.

So the GPI will be computed for the NCAA as a special column this year that EXCLUDES old Sags.

Also excluded for NCAA use is GPI rankings that include MOV (margin of victory).

grizband
September 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM
We all know that until 2010 the NEC and Big South leagues can get an AQ into the NCAA playoffs if they have a team that finishes 16th or higher in all three of the GPI, and the Sports Network and Coaches Polls. The skinny is the NCAA will be computing these rankings and only will use computer rankings that include all games that the FCS plays.

Odd one out is SAGARIN. Sags refused to submit a ranking that includes all opponents of the FCS, even though the data is readily available and is used by everyone else. Sags focuses on FBS.

So the GPI will be computed for the NCAA as a special column this year that EXCLUDES old Sags.

Also excluded for NCAA use is GPI rankings that include MOV (margin of victory).
A question I immediately see, is how will the removal of Sagarin's ratings from the GPI affect these teams trying to break into the playoffs? Since the Sagarin ratings primarily focus on FBS schools, will the new FCS teams in the new GPI be increased, or could the elimination of this ranking lower the overall GPI of these teams?

Hansel
September 10th, 2008, 03:58 PM

Too bad rankings that use MOV are more accurate :(

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
The new lineup of computer systems for the GPI will be announced when the GPI debuts in the first week of October.

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Too bad rankings that use MOV are more accurate :(I completely agree but the NCAA has a problem with the public perception of running up scores when in actuality that matters little.

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 04:02 PM
A question I immediately see, is how will the removal of Sagarin's ratings from the GPI...Sags will still be in the GPI but not in the column the NCAA uses, like Massey and Sags do.

Retro
September 10th, 2008, 04:37 PM

Sagarin doesn't focus on FBS. They focus on Div I. It wouldn't be an issue is more FCS schools wouldn't be so afraid to schedule more FCS OOC schools for home and homes. Then we wouldn't have to resort to Div II and NAIA to fill holes!xrolleyesx

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Sagarin doesn't focus on FBS. They focus on Div I. It wouldn't be an issue is more FBS schools wouldn't be so afraid to schedule more FCS OOC schools for home and homes. Then we wouldn't have to resort to Div II and NAIA to fill holes!xrolleyesxSags told me that he focuses on FBS. He only includes teams the FBS plays which happen to be other D-I teams. Lo and behold that the FCS can't get enough FBS games to fill their scheds so they have to look beyond D-I. FBS leagues actually stipulate that they can only play FCS teams as HOME GAMES! We all know they are scared. xnodx

danefan
September 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that boils down to there being essentially two GPI's right - GPI and NCAA GPI?

Will they be compiled in the same CSN location? Just an extra NCAA GPI column?

Should be interesting to see how they compare at the end of the season.

When does the GPI come out?

UAalum72
September 10th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Hmm. The NCAA decides to cut Sagarin from the GPI to make it suit its needs better. Who would ever have thought of that? I hope nobody thinks the NCAA has an agenda.

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Hmm. The NCAA decides to cut Sagarin from the GPI to make it suit its needs better. Who would ever have thought of that? I hope nobody thinks the NCAA has an agenda.I have always chided Sags for his ratings, not being suited for FCS. Do you have a problem with it? Sags is not an FCS rating, it is an FBS rating. Check Massey (http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm) for a better all-around rating.

UAalum72
September 10th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Your apology, for saying I showed I had an agenda by suggesting the GPI would be improved by dropping Sagarin from it, is accepted.

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Your apology, for saying I showed I had an agenda by suggesting the GPI would be improved by dropping Sagarin from it, is accepted.UAalum is enough. The rest is understood here at AGS.

BTW, Sagarin has not been dropped from the GPI but go ahead and think it... it's in your MO. Reality is what's missing.

JackTwice
September 10th, 2008, 08:09 PM
IMO The only way that MOV is the most accurate is if the rating of the teams in question are factored in as a part of the calc.

appfan2008
September 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Sags told me that he focuses on FBS. He only includes teams the FBS plays which happen to be other D-I teams. Lo and behold that the FCS can't get enough FBS games to fill their scheds so they have to look beyond D-I. FBS leagues actually stipulate that they can only play FCS teams as HOME GAMES! We all know they are scared. xnodx

interesting... that explains why no one from MAC or Sun Belt would be willing to come to boone even though we could put more butts in the seats...of course they arent even willing to have us come there either...

ursus arctos horribilis
September 10th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Your apology, for saying I showed I had an agenda by suggesting the GPI would be improved by dropping Sagarin from it, is accepted.

Damn...now that's funny.

skinny_uncle
September 10th, 2008, 09:05 PM

You said "skinny".
:D

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Damn...now that's funny.what is funny is that UR A HOR thinks that qualifies as a football-related post. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xnonono2x xlolx

Just get off our board buster if you have nothing to contribute.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 10th, 2008, 09:43 PM

UAslum, seriously dude that was funny. I hate to break in the conversation with a non football related post and hope you don't mind as it is obvious that you are a learned man on these issues but I wanted you to know that you showed some real wit there the way you roped in that little doggy.

Apology accepted....funny stuff man.

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 09:47 PM
xnutsx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xnutsx Reported. Quit wasting bandwidth and member's time.

danefan
September 10th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Wow, what an edit.

That was quick.

Anyway, still waiting on the answers to my questions SE.

And why have two GPI's?

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 10:15 PM
still waiting on the answers to my questions SE.Do you have questions that have not already been answered in this thread? Maybe you should read it again. xthumbsupx

danefan
September 10th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Do you have questions that have not already been answered in this thread? Maybe you should read it again. xthumbsupx

Do you read your posts before you hit submit? Its the attitude that comes through in your posts that cause problems around here. You can't just add a xthumbsupx and assume its all good. Please attempt to have a civilized conversation without resorting to the tone present in your above post. Maybe I am too sensitive to your posts based on the past. Anyway, lets all try to focus on football. Thanks.xthumbsupx

The following questions weren't answered. (not that you have to answer anything, I was just curious).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that boils down to there being essentially two GPI's right - GPI and NCAA GPI?

Will they be compiled in the same CSN location? Just an extra NCAA GPI column?

Why have two GPI's?

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Maybe I am too sensitive to your postsYes, you apparently are. Try to take deep breaths. ;) Everything you asked has been answered in this thread already. xpeacex

Grizzaholic
September 10th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Obviously he didn't understand the wording of the answers to his questions so he asked them again. What is the big deal answering them again? Do you always act so smug?

Nevermind, we all know Smug and EGO go hand in hand.