View Full Version : #10 Cal Poly at UC Davis - Horseshoe Classic

smarterray
October 29th, 2005, 03:48 PM
2nd Quarter, 13:23 left.

Cal Poly ties it with a field goal

3 - 3.

smarterray
October 29th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Poly makes its second field goal of the day.

6 - 3 Poly.

3 mins remain in the first half.

smarterray
October 29th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Long bomg TD pass to Blaise Smith!

10 - 6 Aggies, 30 seconds left in the first half.

Half ends.

X-Factor
October 29th, 2005, 04:29 PM
audio link?

X-Factor
October 29th, 2005, 04:31 PM
nevermind

http://ucdavisaggies.collegesports.com/genrel/ucda-liveaudio.html

hmmm, I can't get it to load though

Hansel
October 29th, 2005, 04:39 PM
nevermind

http://ucdavisaggies.collegesports.com/genrel/ucda-liveaudio.html

hmmm, I can't get it to load though
got quicktime?

X-Factor
October 29th, 2005, 04:47 PM
OK, I got the audio link off of Cal Poly's site to work.

Yep, I have quicktime

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 29th, 2005, 05:04 PM
:o

Err...which team is the aggies, and which team is the rays?

[edit] never mind...i see the uc davis aggies link...

X-Factor
October 29th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Aggies = UC Davis

Mustangs = Cal Poly

rays? not sure who they are

*score is now 13-6 UC Davis

Hansel
October 29th, 2005, 06:00 PM
20-13 Davis, 4 and a half minutes to go

lucchesicourt
October 29th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Final UCD 20 Poly

smarterray
October 29th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Sorry, I had to leave for a family birthday party :P. Yay we won.

lucchesicourt
October 29th, 2005, 06:28 PM
sorry. UCD 20 Poly 13

Hansel
October 29th, 2005, 06:36 PM
sorry. UCD 20 Poly 13
is that right, i thought that is what I heard on the radio but ESPN show 13-6????

lucchesicourt
October 29th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Yeah, the final was 20-13. Poly tied the game 13-13 on an interception return for a TD and then UCD went on a quick drive and scored a TD after a 52 yard pass to Kays to the Poly 3 and then Grant punched it in for a 20-13 lead for the Ags.

SochorField
October 29th, 2005, 07:14 PM
#85 Tony Kays

13 receptions for 212 yds. BIG TIME

WE KEEP THE 'SHOE!
Go Ags!

GrizSweeper
October 29th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Just wondering, how did the back up for poly fair in his first start?

Chi Panther
October 29th, 2005, 07:37 PM
#85 Tony Kays

13 receptions for 212 yds. BIG TIME

WE KEEP THE 'SHOE!
Go Ags!

I said before that Kays is the best WR in I-AA......he just isn't the best I-AA WR as far as pro-talent is concerned.

aggie6thman
October 29th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Aggie defense shows again why they are one of the best in the country. 113 yards of offense for Cal Poly, that coming on the heels of 8 yards for NDSU's Steffes. Ags are playing at their peak right now, bring on SFA!

The 'Shoe just doesnt want to leave Davis, will be here for a long time!

Go Ags!

SochorField
October 29th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Aggie defense held Cal Poly to 12 SECOND HALF yards.

Kays is only a Junior, if he keeps this up through his Senior year, we may see him on Sundays.

GrizSweeper
October 29th, 2005, 09:23 PM
only reason aggies did so well is b/c garnett is out, you play poly full strength and it may be a whole different story

GrizSweeper
October 29th, 2005, 09:24 PM
but i do give you props for stanford, they should have knocked off ucla today but totally blew it

Aggie71
October 29th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Saw Blaise catch his pass at the N. end zone (had gen. admission tickets), Saw Grant scramble and hit Kays at the S. end zone (well, kinda saw, lotta standing kids where I was).

Great D's on both sides. A lot of hard hitting and managerial chess.

Afterwards, Listened to the combined Band - uh and Alum Band -uh take turns with the Poly Band - hu. So good, I sat in the middle of the Band - uh's on the players benches and closed my eyes and just smiled. I have ringing in my ears.

Also, got to touch the 'Shoe...maybe shouldn'ta.

Poly's a hell of a team. I think they will play their way into a bid. Hope so.

Great weather for FB. Sell - out crowd. Last homecoming at the TOOM.

SFA coming up, I guess.

Go AGS

Hansel
October 29th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Poly actually played without their stud RB today too

As much as I hate to say it the Cali schools are the class of the GWFC this year

GrizSweeper
October 29th, 2005, 09:30 PM
poly's playoff chances aren't looking too good anymore though, i was really pulling for them too after they got screwed over last year

Aggie71
October 29th, 2005, 09:48 PM
No team picture on the wall for the Poly team this year, I guess. I don't like that tradition. They're a good school and a great team. They should look for another way to fire up the kids. All teams deserve their history.

Gawd, the 'Shoe is an ugly trophy. Less maintenance than the carriage, though. Maybe we should have the "San Andreas Fault" award and just trade cracks.

Had to say it.

Other impressions from sitting with the overflow from the Aggie Pack, whom I believe are pretty much frosh and Sophomores: Good kids, just learning the Aggie traditions (except for "Lakeport").

Nice to see.

GrizSweeper
October 29th, 2005, 09:50 PM
whats the aggies record and are they playoff eligible?

aggie6thman
October 29th, 2005, 09:55 PM
5-3 (3-1) and we aren't playoff eligible until 07-08. But now we are in the driver's seat (with a SDSU loss) to win the GWFC.

GrizSweeper
October 29th, 2005, 09:57 PM
that sucks, i dont know why they punish teams for moving up a division, if they're good enough let them show it on the big stage, you've definitely got a solid conference though, good luck the rest of the year

Aggie71
October 30th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Errr, ummm...Are we close to winning season yet?

hehehehehehe

But: Not as simple as one thinks.

SFA, EWU + UNC (or is it NCU ? - Col. - Greely, that's it)

Jill is the prettiest dancer...Have you noticed?

smarterray
October 30th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Would Garnett really have been able to do anything against the Aggie defense? I'm talking about the defense that kept both I-A Stanford and #10 Cal Poly from being able to score any offensive touchdowns. The one that, against a #16 NDSU, held RB Kyle Steffes to only 3 total yards of rushing. The one that kept UCD in every single game this year, only allowing the other teams to beat us by a total of 8 points. Do people really think that?

Of course, Cal Poly's offense was impaired without Garnett and Noble. However, the Aggies would have been in this game no matter what because the defense is that good.

In terms of offense, despite relying mainly on the passing game, Jon Grant and Tony Kays pretty much did what they wanted with the Cal Poly defense. There were no major injuries for the Cal Poly D coming into the game, and if Poly really were the better team, they surely didn't show it on Defense, except for the one INT that was returned for a touchdown.

That said, Cal Poly is a good team, and it sucks that their QB and RB are injured, but really, their injuries aren't the reason why UC Davis won.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

lucchesicourt
October 30th, 2005, 02:28 AM
It's funny. They all talk about the injuries to two players on the Poly team, when UCD went into this game with how many injuries. Lots more than Poly. Injuries CANNOT be blamed for Cal poly losing. If Poly had won, how many would have said Poly only won because of the number of injuries to UCD?
I believe every UCD RB who was nursing injuries yesterday. Do we have any left to play next week?

SochorField
October 30th, 2005, 02:16 PM
We also lost 3 CB's ....Sullivan is gone for the season Tarp and Cook are TBD (from Chris Kelly on the Aggie board)

lucchesicourt
October 30th, 2005, 02:18 PM
So, we have no RB's and a few DB's left. Well, we have to give the opposition some chance of staying in the game.

SochorField
October 30th, 2005, 02:30 PM
yeah, well...this will show us the strength of our first couple of D-I recruiting classes, as the young bucks will probably get some PT.

I feel good about the SFA trip though, the Jacks are coming off a shelling by Southeastern Louisianna....the did put up 395 yrds or total offense. They seem to be down this year, however.

As for Poly...I bet we had more guys injured coming into this game than they did. Or D would have stopped anyone they put out there yesterday.

GrizFoo
October 30th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Cal Poly vs. UC Davis Replay Direct TV 656 as I type.

slostang
October 30th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I have to give it to the Aggies, they did what they had to do a got a big win. As far as if Garnett and Noble would have made a diffference, HELL YES. Poly put up over 400 yards offense on a very good Montana defense in one of the hardest places to play. Poly's threat of a passing game went down with Garnett at Wash/Griz stadium. With out that threat Davis was able to stack the box and we did not have Noble to take it to the outside. Injuries are part of the game and every team has to deal with them, I just do not want to hear that Garnett and Noble would not have made any difference in the game.

clubfred
October 30th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Granted, the loss of those two change the game in some way. However, I seem to remember reading a quote from Poly to the effect of "we should be able to pass all over them like last year". This was in a newspaper article on Thursday, I believe. Either Poly had blatant overconfidence or the Aggie defense is pretty good. Great teams with great coaching staffs find a way to overcome injuries or travel difficulties.

GrizSweeper
October 30th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I really wish UCD would have gone up against Poly at full strength. You dont seem to understand that they are a totally different football team with the loss of Garnett and the running back as well. Garnett was the heart and soul of that football team, he's a big guy who could run and also throw a nice ball to there big receivers with him in the game i see a different outcome, the kid was a playmaker. And as for the UCD defense we'll find out just how good they are when they go up against one of the best offenses in the country in Eastern Washington, should be a great contest

rvzlaw
October 30th, 2005, 10:52 PM
I'm tired of hearing about Garnett and Noble being out. How about the Aggies who didn't play:

1. Daniel Fells, TE, our media-guide cover boy and preseason All-American.

2. Our top two running backs, including Nelson Doris, an on-the-field leader who was instrumental in the Stanford upset. One good reason why we have no running game.

3. DT Ryan Sharp, (another team captain, as is Fells) who was on his way to being 1st Team all league before being injured in the South Dakota St game. Sharp was also great in Stanford game.

4. Starting right guard Jonathan Compas.

5. Kyle Tarp, starting right CB, hurt early in 1st quarter.

SochorField
October 30th, 2005, 10:58 PM
GrizSweeper-
Trust us, we know how good Poly is...they are in our conference, and they are ranked #10 (well, they were). Isn't Matt Brennan faster than Garnett anyway? Wouldnt this equate to a better, more dangerous option attack? (this was a point made by a Cal Poly fan somewhere...may have been another board)

The Aggies have held a "full strengh" New Hampshire team to 17 points, a "full strength" North Dakota State team to 14 points....and an average points allowed of 14.8 on the season.

Poly could not run the option against the Aggie D, and we sacked Brennan 6 times....would this have been different with Garnett and Noble? Doubtful.

We've seen how good the Aggie defense is:

Stanford held to 192 total yards; 3 sacks

Portland State's Joe Rubin held to 47 yds rushing

Sac State held to 196 total yards; 5 sacks

South Dakota State held to 70 total yards in 2nd half

North Dakota State held to 3 yds rushing; 4 sacks

Cal Poly held to 113 total yards; 6 sacks

Only one 100 yd rushing game allowed

aggie6thman
October 30th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Injuries are a part of the season. Do they suck? Yes. It is how you overcome these injuries that determines whether or not you are great, good or mediocre team. Enough of all of this BS about Poly not being full strength. Name one team in this country in any division who is. Welcome to week 9 of football, if you are unscathed you most likely don't have a football team at your school.

Ags win, bottom line. The 'Shoe stays in Davis.

NC Aggie
October 31st, 2005, 11:49 AM
that sucks, i dont know why they punish teams for moving up a division, if they're good enough let them show it on the big stage, you've definitely got a solid conference though, good luck the rest of the year
I agree Griz. Moving down from 1A it would make all the sense in the world to wait, but coming up with far fewer scholorships? No logic there. Politics I suppose.

Russ B
October 31st, 2005, 12:04 PM
Teams that move up are held back from the playoffs to give time for their academics to come up to the requirements of the higher level.

lucchesicourt
October 31st, 2005, 05:08 PM
Gee, if UCD raises their level of academics they'll probably pass Stanford academically. Do you think they would want that after what we did to their football team? It would mean they are definitely on a down swing!!

ucdavisaggie05
October 31st, 2005, 10:37 PM
Speaking of $tanfurd, they must really enjoy losing to UC schools! The UC Sweep is still alive!

AggiePride
October 31st, 2005, 10:50 PM
I'm tired of hearing about Garnett and Noble being out. How about the Aggies who didn't play:

1. Daniel Fells, TE, our media-guide cover boy and preseason All-American.

2. Our top two running backs, including Nelson Doris, an on-the-field leader who was instrumental in the Stanford upset. One good reason why we have no running game.

3. DT Ryan Sharp, (another team captain, as is Fells) who was on his way to being 1st Team all league before being injured in the South Dakota St game. Sharp was also great in Stanford game.

4. Starting right guard Jonathan Compas.

5. Kyle Tarp, starting right CB, hurt early in 1st quarter.

Exactly. I guess everyone here wanted a full strength Poly vs. an injured Davis.........