PDA

View Full Version : Ike's Effect on FCS

93henfan
September 10th, 2008, 08:25 AM
So it's looking like Ike is going to pound the Corpus Christi, TX region. It's only Cat 1 now but is expected to strengthen to possibly Cat 3 by Saturday. Are there any FCS games around Corpus Christi/San Antonio/etc that will be in the path? Obviously life is the greater concern than football, but I'm not that familiar with the Texas teams and who might have games scheduled nearby:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0908W+gif/084618W_sm.gif

McNeese72
September 10th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Well, where it hits on the coast won't affect too many FCS games. But it is projected to curve north and go up through the east center of Texas. That is the games that it will affect.

Now, if it decideds to curve north 24 hours early, ala Rita, then our game might be in jeopardy.

Doc

appfan2008
September 10th, 2008, 09:04 AM
how close is mcneese to where the storm is supposed to come on shore?

patssle
September 10th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I will predict the SHSU game will not happen if its played Saturday night at 6 and the storm stays on its current track. I hope I'm wrong....

http://www.patssle.com/stuff/hurricane.jpg

darell1976
September 10th, 2008, 09:11 AM
UND plays SE Louisiana on Sept. 27th and hopefully there are no hurricanes coming then, as for Ike i hope the storm can somehow die out before it gets to Texas. I pray for the safety of everyone down there.

appfan2008
September 10th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I will predict the SHSU game will not happen if its played Saturday night at 6 and the storm stays on its current track. I hope I'm wrong....

http://www.patssle.com/stuff/hurricane.jpg

wow nice job laying that on top... also... if they did play that game it sure would be something... quite the storm to be sure...

Pauly LB
September 10th, 2008, 09:39 AM
how close is mcneese to where the storm is supposed to come on shore?

If you take a look at the first map in this thread, Houston, Texas is located just above the capital M where the map says "1 AM Sat". McNeese State is located approximately 145 miles due east of Houston. You will note that Houston is located barely inside the projected path of Hurricane Ike so you can expect that the entire area which includes Lake Charles, LA to experience one heck of a lot of rain. In fact the Yahoo Weather Service predicts the following for Lake Charles on Saturday:

Saturday: Windy, showers with a few rumbles of thunder. Highs in the mid 80s and lows in the upper 70s.

You can be assured that even if the game comes off as scheduled, that it is going to be a mess. I can only imagine what weather such as expected in Lake Charles will do to Cal Poly's most effective triple option. Then again in weather such as expected, most of the time you don't really see much passing. Hard to say whether or not the weather will favor one team more than another.

Also, at Coach Ellerson's weekly press conference on Monday the question came up about the McNeese State game and Coach E said that he was not sure of the location -- whether it would be in Lake Charles, San Luis Obispo, and he even mentioned Phoenix as a possibility. My expecation for the game is that McNeese State is not easily going to give up a home game. There is no common open date on Cal Poly and McNeese State that is available to reschedule. Cal Poly is planning on flying out of San Luis Obispo Regional Airport on Friday and returning on Sunday leaving from Intercontinental Airport in Houston.

Personally I have lived in Houston and was there in 1983 when Hurricane Alicia and caused huge damage. Believe me a category 3 hurricane is something to be avoided. I had planned to fly into and out of Houston to attend the Cal Poly vs McNeese State game this Saturday. I expect that I am going to be changing my plans today.

buckp
September 10th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Saturday: Windy, showers with a few rumbles of thunder. Highs in the mid 80s and lows in the upper 70s.

Might have to strap myself to one of the (short) flag poles....but I'll be there! Been waiting too long for this game! xnodx xthumbsupx

McNeese75
September 10th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Yesterday the McNeese AD said if the will be played in Lake Charles or not at all.

The new turf in Cowboys Stadium will help with the anticipated wet weather although it will be windy (20-30 mph). It does look like we are looking at light rain but of course rain here and rain in CA can be quite different xnodx .

Who knows how this is going to hurt or help each team. I know the ball handling may get tricky with CP's option but McNeese depends on a balanced attack so if both teams get one dimensional it could get interesting. Personally I think they both teams stay with their regular game plan and let the chips fall ( I know, call me Capt Obvious :D ).

MoreheadEagle
September 10th, 2008, 10:12 AM
The newest types of FieldTurf are great for drainage and are a great investment for any school. I just hope and pray that Ike dies down to a depression before it hits.

93henfan
September 10th, 2008, 10:21 AM
The newest types of FieldTurf are great for drainage and are a great investment for any school. I just hope and pray that Ike dies down to a depression before it hits.

Unlikely. The 11am report from the NHC:

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NOW NEAR 90 MPH...150 KM/HR...WITH
HIGHER GUSTS. IKE IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
SCALE. ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS EXPECTED AND IKE COULD BE A
MAJOR HURRICANE TOMORROW.

Sly Fox
September 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Texas State would certainly have been affected had they not been at SMU Saturday.

TheValleyRaider
September 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM
SMU might get affected anyway, but not to the point of cancelling

TCU-Stanford is also looking at a ton of rain Saturday night

I doubt you'll see cancellations here, but we'll certainly be catching something rough

appfan2008
September 10th, 2008, 01:11 PM
the cal poly mcneese game could have huge playoff implications... hopefully the weather doesnt effect the game too much...

GeauxLions94
September 10th, 2008, 01:19 PM
UND plays SE Louisiana on Sept. 27th and hopefully there are no hurricanes coming then, as for Ike i hope the storm can somehow die out before it gets to Texas. I pray for the safety of everyone down there.

You and me both ... we got the Yotes coming in this week. Looking forward to having you guys down. Are you making the trip?