PDA

View Full Version : Question for Southland Conf. Fans

Husky Alum
October 29th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Do the refs get paid by the flag??

I'm listening to the Northeastern-Northwestern State game and it seems like that for either team whenever there's a decent sized gain there's a flag.

I'm not claiming homerism as I think the officials are being consistent, but there were 12 flags thrown in the first half alone - and NU has NOT had a ton of penalties called on it this season.

The Northeastern radio announcers said they were "told by the locals to expect a lot of laundry on the field".

Maybe I don't pay enough attention on this board, but is the SLC known for tight officiating?

kats89
October 29th, 2005, 04:09 PM

I'm listening to the Northeastern-Northwestern State game and it seems like that for either team whenever there's a decent sized gain there's a flag.

I'm not claiming homerism as I think the officials are being consistent, but there were 12 flags thrown in the first half alone - and NU has NOT had a ton of penalties called on it this season.

The Northeastern radio announcers said they were "told by the locals to expect a lot of laundry on the field".

Maybe I don't pay enough attention on this board, but is the SLC known for tight officiating?

I have always been of the opinion that NW St seems to have their own refs for every game. When they came to Huntsville earlier this year, I have never seen so many flags in my life and we were playing at home. Makes me wonder some times. When we went to NW St last year, it was the same way.

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Hey, don't give them a hard time in Nachitoches. Those folks do a good job at getting your laundry out there, pretty quickly...though for the Sam game, it took them some time. They were too busy messing with the clock between every play it seemed...

Husky Alum
October 29th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the input Sam fans, we lost, that's pretty clear, and part of the reason is we couldn't stop them on 3rd down. But having penalties called 3 times on 3 consecutive plays that resulted in us

1. Having a TD called back

2. Knocking us out of field goal range

3. Punting

Just seemed a bit coincidental.

The come to Parsons in September of 2007, so I'm hoping we'll return the favor.

JohnStOnge
October 29th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Southland Conference games do frequently feature a lot of penalties. Whether it's the refs...I don't know.

beerkat
October 29th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I can't possibly believe that a conference has worse officiating than the Southland, our refs are a disgrace

blackfordpu
October 29th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I can't possibly believe that a conference has worse officiating than the Southland, our refs are a disgrace

You should have been in LC tonight for the game. Real late calls and some that would have turned the tide of the game. Example: Kats stop the runners forward motion and strip the ball. As the Kat player is running to the endzone (half way there mind you) the refs blow the whistle and say the runner was down. Many missed calls tonight which could have assisted in the outcome of the game. :mad:

McNeese75
October 30th, 2005, 01:09 AM
You should have been in LC tonight for the game. Real late calls and some that would have turned the tide of the game. Example: Kats stop the runners forward motion and strip the ball. As the Kat player is running to the endzone (half way there mind you) the refs blow the whistle and say the runner was down. Many missed calls tonight which could have assisted in the outcome of the game. :mad:

Officiating today was a joke. Half of the interference calls (and non-calls) made were outrageous (Malone's push to the DB's back at the 5 yard line and they call it against McNeese????)

Irregardless, it seems they are pretty consistent in the SLC and its always bad!!!

Dallas Demon
October 30th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the input Sam fans, we lost, that's pretty clear, and part of the reason is we couldn't stop them on 3rd down. But having penalties called 3 times on 3 consecutive plays that resulted in us

3. Punting

Hey, now wait a minute. Most of those penalties were called on the Demons (as usual). We're not a very diciplined team. Long return for a TD called back for us. In fact, we in the stands were making bets on each offensive play call coming up - whether we would be called for holding, illegal procedure, etc. To make it sound as if NU got the shaft is WAY off base. It was an ugly game, but one I think the Demons should have won by a much wider margin. :confused:

McTailGator
October 30th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Tight? NO

Crappy? Without a doubt, the SLC have the worse officials in all of college football.

kats89
October 30th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Tight? NO

Crappy? Without a doubt, the SLC have the worse officials in all of college football.

:nod: Amen brother. I don't know where they pick up the officials for the SLC, but I think they need to look elsewhere. They are not just bad in SHSU games, they are bad in all games.

JohnStOnge
October 30th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Tight? NO

Now, now...the SWAC is in college football!

JTCowboy
October 30th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Tight? NO

I have never seen, in my thirty years of watching McNeese, officiating as bad as what I saw three weeks ago when McNeese played Texas Southern and the game was called by what I believe to have been a Swac crew.

It was so bad it was comical. A local High School crew would have been better.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 30th, 2005, 07:35 PM
i have to agree that the SLC referees need some serious reviewing. they plain suck. they routinely miss easy/obvious calls.

maybe we should have a ref draft! :D

NSUDemon98
October 30th, 2005, 08:05 PM

3. Punting

NSU also had a punt for a TD called back. We had our share of setbacks thanks to penalties and our lack of discipline.

Bearkats94
October 30th, 2005, 08:17 PM
To bad we do not have call reviews. The Ref's would think again about throwing a flag.

Dallas Demon
October 30th, 2005, 08:50 PM
NSU also had a punt for a TD called back. We had our share of setbacks thanks to penalties and our lack of discipline.

Where were you? I left a message on your cell phone. BBRUNDEMON said he saw you.