PDA

View Full Version : Nicholls St vs Bowie Canceled

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2008, 05:51 PM
It's official...

THIBODAUX, La. - Nicholls State University President Stephen Hulbert announced that the Saturday, Sept. 13, football game against Bowie State has been cancelled due to damage to the lighting at John L. Guidry Stadium resulting from Hurricane Gustav.

"I have decided that the safety of the players, coaches, fans and officials is of utmost importance," Hulbert said. "Bowie State officials were also concerned about the unpredictability of Hurricane Ike and its impact on their travel plans."

An inspection of the stadium's lights indicated that at least two poles lack structural integrity as a result of high winds. Nicholls will request that the State of Louisiana take immediate action to address the situation.

http://geauxcolonels.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090908aaa.html

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2008, 05:58 PM
First Nicholls home game is still a month away!

The Colonels will play at Memphis (Sept 20), UNI (Oct 2) and Northwestern State (Oct. 11) before playing SFA at home on Oct. 18.

Wonder if Nicholls can somehow find a game for Sept. 26 or 27...

McNeeserocket
September 9th, 2008, 06:13 PM
It's official...

THIBODAUX, La. - Nicholls State University President Stephen Hulbert announced that the Saturday, Sept. 13, football game against Bowie State has been cancelled due to damage to the lighting at John L. Guidry Stadium resulting from Hurricane Gustav.

"I have decided that the safety of the players, coaches, fans and officials is of utmost importance," Hulbert said. "Bowie State officials were also concerned about the unpredictability of Hurricane Ike and its impact on their travel plans."

An inspection of the stadium's lights indicated that at least two poles lack structural integrity as a result of high winds. Nicholls will request that the State of Louisiana take immediate action to address the situation.

http://geauxcolonels.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090908aaa.html

Why not play at a nearby stadium? High School stadium could still accomodate the game. Should not be too many fans there that could not get in. Their fan support is not usually overflow anyway. And I doubt Bowie would bring much of a fan base to Thibodeaux.

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Why not play at a nearby stadium? High School stadium could still accomodate the game. Should not be too many fans there that could not get in. Their fan support is not usually overflow anyway. And I doubt Bowie would bring much of a fan base to Thibodeaux.

Well, I'm not sure if any of the high schools down that way have had to cancel games or anything of that nature...I know that quite a few games in the greater NOLA area had been moved around, canceled, etc...

GeauxLions94
September 9th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Why not play at a nearby stadium? High School stadium could still accomodate the game. Should not be too many fans there that could not get in. Their fan support is not usually overflow anyway. And I doubt Bowie would bring much of a fan base to Thibodaux.

Well, I'm not sure if any of the high schools down that way have had to cancel games or anything of that nature...I know that quite a few games in the greater NOLA area had been moved around, canceled, etc...

They should have tried to play at Tad Gormley in New Orleans. If Guidry is messed up, I'm pretty sure none of the other stadiums in the area are in better shape.

katstrapper
September 9th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Uh, whats wrong with playing it in NATURAL LIGHT? Like daytime?xconfusedx

Lionsrking
September 9th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Because their light poles are not structurally sound, thus creating a potential hazard for fans and players. Light poles can fall just as easily in daylight as they can in darkness.

katstrapper
September 9th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Because their light poles are not structurally sound, thus creating a potential hazard for fans and players. Light poles can fall just as easily in daylight as they can in darkness.

not necessilary at Nicholls.

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2008, 10:01 PM

There were further electrical issues from what I have been told. They would not have had full use of their scoreboard or A/C in the press box amongst other issues that I was informed of earlier today...

Can you imagine going to a football game without a working scoreboard? Think that was the case when the last scoreboard (prior to the current one) at Bowers got installed. Didn't work on day one...

Retro
September 9th, 2008, 10:47 PM
If they're waiting for the state of louisiana to take immediate action, then they'll be waiting till next season...
Nicholls should have tried to do the game at UL-L, as they are on the road or at Mcneese as part of a double-header.. Would that be cool!xthumbsupx

brownbear
September 9th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I would assume they would remove the current lights during the next several weeks, play the rest of the season during daylight hours, and then put in new lights during the offseason.

Syntax Error
September 10th, 2008, 12:28 AM
If they're waiting for the state of louisiana to take immediate action, then they'll be waiting till next season...
Nicholls should have tried to do the game at UL-L, as they are on the road or at Mcneese as part of a double-header.. Would that be cool!xthumbsupx
That would be so cool!!!!! If the game at McNeese is played.

patssle
September 10th, 2008, 08:20 AM
They would not have had full use of their scoreboard or A/C in the press box amongst other issues that I was informed of earlier today...

How did the game of football ever begin?

TexasTerror
September 10th, 2008, 09:12 AM
How did the game of football ever begin?

Not every school has a Tommy Davis...but ultimately, there are far greater safety issues in the stadium...

appfan2008
September 10th, 2008, 09:21 AM
that is too bad... i hate to see a season get all screwed up like this due to mother nature...

DFW HOYA
September 10th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Why is NSU playing a Division II school from Maryland?

WileECoyote06
September 10th, 2008, 09:44 AM

They are lucky. NC doesn't give any money to address athletics, especially football stadiums.

buckp
September 10th, 2008, 09:53 AM
....Nicholls should have tried to do the game at UL-L, as they are on the road or at Mcneese as part of a double-header.. Would that be cool!xthumbsupx

A whole day of football at The Hole? Man, that would be wild! xnodx xhurrayx xprost2x xazzx xthumbsupx