PDA

View Full Version : NEC Week Three

danefan
September 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Bucknell @ Robert Morris 1pm Video (http://www.rmucolonials.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13900)
Coastal Carolina @ Monmouth 1pm
Iona @ Wagner 1pm
Marist @ St. Francis 1pm
Albany @ Hofstra 7pm
Merrimack @ Bryant 1pm Audio (http://www.bryantbulldogs.com/links/izuxtk)

-------------------------------
Thoughts on Week 2:
Wagner should no longer be allowed to call itself an NEC team.
RMU surprised me. I thought Morehead was pretty good. We'll see this week.
Monmouth should be tough this year. They've played a good schedule and played two CAA teams tough.
CCSU - well, NDSU is good.
Duquense - embarrasing first half, but somehow the score was respectable.

My picks for week 3:
Bucknell @ Robert Morris.......I hope it turns out the other but I can't pick RMU yet.
Coastal Carolina @ Monmouth .......Monmouth is tested so far and I think they'll come up with a win at home here.
Iona @ Wagner .......I'm picking Iona because Wagner is bad.
Marist @ St. Francis......Toss-up....going with the NEC team.
Albany @ Hofstra.......Albany by 2 TDs. Rested and ready after a big confidence boost at UMass. Hofstra down and out after losing Savage.
Merrimack @ Bryant ......First homecoming in the DI era. Gotta go with Bryant.

DetroitFlyer
September 9th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Wow, quick to throw Wagner under the bus.... Here is the deal.... Just because a team is Division II, III or NAIA does not mean that they cannot play a good football game and defeat a "higher level" opponent. The best way to avoid this problem is to not play the games in the first place. Of course as FCS fans we cannot possibly apply this rule to the FBS....xrolleyesx SFUP gets hammered by VMI and no one really cares.... Wagner loses to a lower level opponent and it is time to banish them....

Football is a dynamic game.... Jacksonville defeated Savannah State rather easily in week 1. JU than got destroyed at App State last week. I do not who who they are, but I think some school called Livingston or something like that was absolutely destroyed by Savannah State last week.

Let's let the season play out before we banish anyone.... Delaware's loss to Maryland in week one did not look too bad. Week two, however, might cast a bit of a different light on the subject. Albany's loss to UMass is still an open issue. UMass struggled greatly with Holy Cross.... If Albany goes 0-4 in the OOC games, do we "banish" them as well? I have a feeling that Albany wins one of the four games as Coach Ford will find a way to gain a W or maybe even two....

Way too early to be too hard on any specific team.

danefan
September 9th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Wow, quick to throw Wagner under the bus.... Here is the deal.... Just because a team is Division II, III or NAIA does not mean that they cannot play a good football game and defeat a "higher level" opponent. The best way to avoid this problem is to not play the games in the first place. Of course as FCS fans we cannot possibly apply this rule to the FBS....xrolleyesx SFUP gets hammered by VMI and no one really cares.... Wagner loses to a lower level opponent and it is time to banish them....

Football is a dynamic game.... Jacksonville defeated Savannah State rather easily in week 1. JU than got destroyed at App State last week. I do not who who they are, but I think some school called Livingston or something like that was absolutely destroyed by Savannah State last week.

Let's let the season play out before we banish anyone.... Delaware's loss to Maryland in week one did not look too bad. Week two, however, might cast a bit of a different light on the subject. Albany's loss to UMass is still an open issue. UMass struggled greatly with Holy Cross.... If Albany goes 0-4 in the OOC games, do we "banish" them as well? I have a feeling that Albany wins one of the four games as Coach Ford will find a way to gain a W or maybe even two....

Way too early to be too hard on any specific team.

First of all....I'm confused. Is Stonehill a DIII or DII school?

I thought they were a DIII school, but maybe I was wrong.

Secondly, I don't care what level you play at if the team is a good one. If Wagner had lost to Mount Union or St. Johns (Minn) or a DIII of similar stature, I wouldn't care.

All I'm saying is that Wagner's loss hurts the NEC more than any potential OOC loss Albany could have this season would. Is it hypocritical to look down on playing and losing to lower level teams.....maybe. But right now, looking out for the NEC as a conference, Wagner's loss hurts.

dgreco
September 9th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Bucknell @ Robert Morris I think RMU can get the win here
Coastal Carolina @ Monmouth at home after two CAA teams they should have some confidence
Iona @ Wagner I think Iona is worse than Wagner
Marist @ St. Francis idk about this but i always hear STF is getting better ill give them a chance
Albany @ Hofstra hopefully easily
Merrimack @ Bryant another must win.

UAalum72
September 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM
First of all....I'm confused. Is Stonehill a DIII or DII school?

I thought they were a DIII school, but maybe I was wrong.

The Skyhawks formerly Chieftains are D-II in the NE-10. Albany beat them twice in the EFC in 97-98. The last 3 years they've been 4-6, 1-9, 5-5.

danefan
September 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM
The Skyhawks formerly Chieftains are D-II in the NE-10. Albany beat them twice in the EFC in 97-98. The last 3 years they've been 4-6, 1-9, 5-5.

In other words.......bad.

dgreco
September 9th, 2008, 12:56 PM
In other words.......bad.

turning around.

Talley was almost picked up by URI to be the new head coach. In 1 year he turned around one of hte worst teams in the NE10. As he recruits his players they will be a better team. It was a bad lose, but I do not think Stonehill was the worst lose they could take.

downbythebeach
September 9th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Bucknell @ Robert Morris 1pm RMU may be better than we thought, this would be a big win for the program
Coastal Carolina @ Monmouth 1pm CCU has to win or this season is a disaster, expect them to come hungry
Iona @ Wagner 1pm Wagner is better than their last showing, but I expect it to be close
Marist @ St. Francis 1pm If SFU doesnt win this, then they may go 0fer all year
Albany @ Hofstra 7pm Hofstra has injuries, and Albany is looking good
Merrimack @ Bryant 1pm Bryant is just better

seahawkfan2007
September 9th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Bucknell @RMU: RMU should win this one at home by a TD. RMU opened with a solid game vs. Morehead St. last week and will pull this one out in the 4th Q. RMU 24 Bucknell 17
Coastal Carolina @ Monmouth: Even with a 3 to 1 advantage in turnovers, CCU lost at home vs. Colgate. Monmouth played both URI and Maine tough and will ball control this one. Monmouth 20 Coastal Carolina 14
Iona @ Wagner: The Seahawks deserve the bashing and earned their disrespect after last weeks 14-13 loss at D2 Stonehill College. However, this is a talented Wagner team that still has the potential to exceed last years 7 win season. The offensive leadership will wake up this week and get this season back on track. Wagner 31 Iona 13
Marist @ St. Francis(Pa): Is VMI really that good? After losses at San Diego and home vs. Lafayette, Marist wins this in a close one. Marist 34 St. Francis(Pa) 28
Albany @ Hofstra: Albany made a respectable showing at U.Mass and might be the pick if they were at home. On the road they keep it close. Hofstra 20 Albany 17
Merrimac @ Bryant: Bryant's offensive production will exceed whatever Merrimac can put on thier D. Bryant 45 Merrimac 28

Ruler
September 10th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Bucknell
I am pulling for RMC but Bucknell is better then posters think. They let Duquesne back in the game by playing their 2nd and 3rd units.

Monmouth
No way they lose 3 in a row. I don't believe CCU is as good as in years past. Will be very tough in NEC play this year.

Wagner
I will let the Seahawks chalk this one up to looking past Stonehill. One more debacle and I will pile on.

St. Francis
Giving the Red Flash the benefit of the doubt. Marist looks to be a bad team.

Bryant
At some point Bryants D will show up. I dont have a clue about Merrimac. I remember Albany taking them to the woodshed when they were D2.

This last pick is tough for me. Many posters are picking Albany and I believe this game will be a close fought contest. But if people think Hofstra is going to lay down and die thats a mistake. A team is very dangerous when they lose a starting QB(See Pats vs Jets this Sunday). Remember they still have 62 other players on Scholarship to albany's 32. With that being said I do think Albany's O will be very tough to defend and The HU O will be hamstrung by their injured QB.

Albany 21

Hofstra 17

aceinthehole
September 10th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Bucknell @ Robert Morris - Bucknell held off the Dukes and probably will do the same to RMU.

Coastal Carolina @ Monmouth - Last week Monmouth loses to Maine on a freak play, while Coastal beats Colgate on a freak play. Monmouth could really be 2-0 right now and needs this win at home.

Iona @ Wagner - Wagner disapointed me vs. Stonehill, but their QB gets comfortable and should improve with each game.

Marist @ St. Francis - The Flash haven't earned being a favorite in any game yet.

Albany @ Hofstra - Hofstra hurting with new QB, Albany tested are ready.

Merrimack @ Bryant - A nice win over SCSU, so Merrimack should be a similar result.

dgreco
September 10th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Just an exciting thing for Bryant, Coach Fine is on a local radio show where he has a talking spot for about a half hour each week.

He changed his story a little from the NEC teleconference saying they are working towards getting up to the scholarship number and they want to do that to become a playoff team on a regular basis.

He also said that UMass is the only game they know they will not win, but its a game to help them show what DI FCS football is all about. They think they have a shot in the other games and if they play right they can win.
He also said over the next few years they are in talks and looking to schedule teams like URI, UMass, UNH, Delaware and Hofstra to help gauge the program each year. I hope that they can get some of these games and I love the way the program is going.

danefan
September 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Just an exciting thing for Bryant, Coach Fine is on a local radio show where he has a talking spot for about a half hour each week.

He changed his story a little from the NEC teleconference saying they are working towards getting up to the scholarship number and they want to do that to become a playoff team on a regular basis.

He also said that UMass is the only game they know they will not win, but its a game to help them show what DI FCS football is all about. They think they have a shot in the other games and if they play right they can win.
He also said over the next few years they are in talks and looking to schedule teams like URI, UMass, UNH, Delaware and Hofstra to help gauge the program each year. I hope that they can get some of these games and I love the way the program is going.

Sounds very similar to the way the Albany program has progressed in the 9 years of DI. Schedule up to gauge the program and help recruiting. Plus you can make some money doing it.

Its gotten Albany to where it is today. Hofstra used to be a guaranteed loss by at least 4 TD's. Now, Albany is arguably the favorite or at the very least even on Saturday. It doesn't happen over night, but its doable. Just be patient Bryant fans. Its frustrating sometimes, but if there's a will, there's a way.xthumbsupx

dgreco
September 10th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Sounds very similar to the way the Albany program has progressed in the 9 years of DI. Schedule up to gauge the program and help recruiting. Plus you can make some money doing it.

Its gotten Albany to where it is today. Hofstra used to be a guaranteed loss by at least 4 TD's. Now, Albany is arguably the favorite or at the very least even on Saturday. It doesn't happen over night, but its doable. Just be patient Bryant fans. Its frustrating sometimes, but if there's a will, there's a way.xthumbsupx

that was another thing he talked about. He talked to all the coaches and said this isn't an 8 month process. It will be a 5, 6, or even 7 year process. If they are not on board for all of it or a majority of it then leave and we will bring in coaches who will be here for the long run. In the end they lost of a bunch of coaches, but got a lot of great coaches and things seem to be working great. I just hope the progress continues. I am impressed with the way all the sports are playing so far this season. In their first season they have not come up short at all.

Seawolf97
September 10th, 2008, 07:49 PM

Stonybrook did the same thing. We got pounded by UNH and UMass in 2006, pounded again in 2007 by Youngstown St and Richmond. But it gives coachs a view of what is needed to win at the D1 level with a full scholarship team. Next season we will be at 63 scholarships - so hopefully we will start making an impact. Patience is all it takes and time as your coach stated.

JMG1MON
September 12th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Bucknell at RMU What the hell, I'm going NEC here!!

Iona at Wagner I won't throw Wagner under the bus but I have a bad feeling about this one!!

Marist at St. Francis (PA) Can you guys have a winning season some time please??

Albany @ Hofstra Albany wins a tight one!!!

Merrimack @ Bryant GOod win last week and hoping for another for our future conference mate.

Coastal Carolina @ Monmouth Alright, we have been too close these past 2 weeks to not pull this one out in my opinion. I will be at the game cheering on my beloved Hawks!!

Good luck to everyone!!!

dgreco
September 13th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Bryant has played the first half with all freshman Oline to help prepare a rotation as the continue the season. This will put them at 8 deep and allow them to stay fresh. Shows right now with the running game because they can't move the ball much.

dgreco
September 13th, 2008, 03:43 PM
End of Week 3 NEC football

Robert Morris lost to Bucknell 17-14
Wagner beat Iona 45-28
St. Francis lost to Marist 30-22
Bryant beat Merrimack 20-7
Monmouth lost to Coastal Carolina 26-7

and the Albany game is at 7pm.

rmutv
September 13th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Second straight solid showing by Robert Morris, a game that they actually had won if not for an illegal shift penalty at the end of the game.

dgreco
September 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Second straight solid showing by Robert Morris, a game that they actually had won if not for an illegal shift penalty at the end of the game.

tough loss to take, but the RMU team is showing they are going to have a good season.

JMG1MON
September 13th, 2008, 04:59 PM
We were thoroughly outclassed today. Outcoached, outplayed in every facet. Game was nowhere near this close!!!

dgreco
September 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM
We were thoroughly outclassed today. Outcoached, outplayed in every facet. Game was nowhere near this close!!!

hopefully that happens next week vs. Bryant :D

seahawkfan2007
September 13th, 2008, 09:23 PM
The Seahawks offence looked very good today. RB's Shane Smith(transfer from Cent Fla) and Prince Young (Frosh) had their way all day gaining 174yds and 128 yds respectively. The O-Line was great. QB Farnsworth (transfer from Iowa) had a good day. Wagner's D played well considering being put in tough spots resulting from bad punt snaps and turnovers. Can't explain what happened last week but this is a good football team!

WWII
September 13th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Albany beats Hofstra 22-16 in OT

seahawkfan2007
September 13th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Great win for Albany and the NEC!

dgreco
September 13th, 2008, 10:42 PM
NEC teams including Bryant are 8-10 in OCC. Not a great start, but not a bad start either.

aceinthehole
September 13th, 2008, 10:48 PM
NEC teams including Bryant are 8-10 in OCC. Not a great start, but not a bad start either.

True, but we have just 1 real quality win - Albany over Hofstra. And with Hofstra's QB and kicking situation, it could be a long year for them.

dgreco
September 13th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Looking at it 5 are against DII teams and another 2 are against non-scholarship DI teams. Like you said Hofstra is the only quality win. Up until the Monmouth game today they had to close and possible big wins for the NEC.

JMG1MON
September 14th, 2008, 08:26 AM
The NEC still has a long way to go but they are headed in the right direction. The extra scholarships coming over the next several years will also help. Monmouth's problem yesterday came from coaching (running a 3-4 against a spread offense with 4 wide outs is a recipe for disaster). Their slot receivers were open all game against us. It also didn't help that our dbs got caught looking into the backfield too much when CCU's qb got outside the pocket (which was all afternoon).

Seahawks Fan
September 14th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Albany beats Hofstra 22-16 in OT

Congrats to Albany. Big win. xthumbsupx

Monmouth Fan
September 14th, 2008, 02:42 PM
to JMG1MON, Do we even have a pass rush this year? And how much longer do we stick with Burke considering next year is Mandeville's last?

NFLCB2
September 14th, 2008, 08:15 PM
to JMG1MON, Do we even have a pass rush this year? And how much longer do we stick with Burke considering next year is Mandeville's last?

As far as Mandeville I think he will still only see garbage time burke doesn't fair well against OOC teams so they will ride with him into conference games. The offense seems to be built for NEC play hence JMG1MON they still are years away from competing at that level. JMG1MON i have a question what is the deal with not using all of the talent they have sitting around on the sidelines? Or maybe is it the plays and schemes they are running. Their zone defense and cover 2 is terrible that a fair assessment? As saturday coastal made a blueprint on how to pick them apart.