PDA

View Full Version : Keeler Wants All FCS Schedule For UD After 2012

93henfan
September 9th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I like. Buh bye West Chester, finally! I will miss the occasional I-A (yes, I'm using The News Journal's terminology) game, but it's really not much of a financial incentive when Delaware makes the same playing at Maryland as it does hosting a game at The Tub.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/SPORTS07/809090384

Excerpts:

"If you look at what's best for Delaware football, it's best for Delaware football to get as many I-AA football games in our stadium as possible," Keeler said. "I think we'll start to look in 2012 to see if we can do that."

"The I-A games don't make a lot of sense and possibly the Division II games don't make as much sense," said Keeler, referring to recent and future I-A games at Navy and the 2008 opener at Maryland last week.

"I'm going to sit down with [director of football operations] Jerry Oravitz and we're going to consult with [athletic director] Edgar Johnson on our schedule moving forward. The focus for me is getting as many I-AA games in this stadium as possible because I think that's the best thing for Delaware football."

For instance, Delaware and Delaware State, which have never met in a regular-season football game, are discussing playing each other in 2012 and 2013. Delaware State also plays I-AA football.

appfan2008
September 9th, 2008, 07:11 AM
sounds good to me... adding del. st would be a great addition...

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Is Delaware interested in a home-and-home with Delaware State? Or is that just not an option...?

phillyAPP
September 9th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I like. Buh bye West Chester, finally! I will miss the occasional I-A (yes, I'm using The News Journal's terminology) game, but it's really not much of a financial incentive when Delaware makes the same playing at Maryland as it does hosting a game at The Tub.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/SPORTS07/809090384

Excerpts:

Its a great dream but when you UD and ASU are as good as we are, the lower FCS teams are tough for everyone to play and the middle to upper FCS can't afford a loss that may keep them out of the playoffs.

One other note is how do you measure yourself without playing better competition. That is why APP likes playing FBS teams,along with the $, which we ALL need.

Let us know how he makes it work.

bonarae
September 9th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Agree. But never forget the Ivy League in scheduling us. We would like to play you.

Dinman31
September 9th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Its a great dream but when you UD and ASU are as good as we are, the lower FCS teams are tough for everyone to play and the middle to upper FCS can't afford a loss that may keep them out of the playoffs.

One other note is how do you measure yourself without playing better competition. That is why APP likes playing FBS teams,along with the $, which we ALL need.

Let us know how he makes it work.

I think Coach Keeler is right, but that is easier to say when you are putting 20,000-30,000 per game in the seats like Delaware, App and Montana.

That $300,000 FBS check is a must for those who draw 8,000-12,000 per game on a 5-6 home game schedule.

93henfan
September 9th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Is Delaware interested in a home-and-home with Delaware State? Or is that just not an option...?

DSU's stadium is just not big enough. It wouldn't make financial sense for either team. ~22K vs ~6K. UD could pay DSU their normal home game take plus a sweetener and still pocket a tidy sum.

mcveyrl
September 9th, 2008, 07:53 AM
DSU's stadium is just not big enough. It wouldn't make financial sense for either team. ~22K vs ~6K. UD could pay DSU their normal home game take plus a sweetener and still pocket a tidy sum.

This has obviously been discussed at length last year, but UD could probably afford to pay Del.St. as much as they would make at home.

Cobblestone
September 9th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I doubt Keeler will still be your coach by 2012. Granted I don't know what his contract looks like but I can see an FBS school calling by then.

HensRock
September 9th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I doubt Keeler will still be your coach by 2012. Granted I don't know what his contract looks like but I can see an FBS school calling by then.

He just signed a 10-year extension.
Yeah, I know....

henfan
September 9th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Keeler just received a contract extension through 2017.

It would have to take the right FBS situation and zeros behind the offer for him to leave his alma mater. If the right major conference school came calling, he'd probably listen.

KC is just now beginning to wield a level of influence over elements like facility improvements, scheduling, etc. He understands that he may have the opportunity to change the direction of UD FB in a manner similar to his three HOF predecessors.

Ronbo
September 9th, 2008, 08:23 AM
How much is the buyout? Hauck won't sign Montana's 3 year because it has a massive buyout.

93henfan
September 9th, 2008, 08:28 AM
How much is the buyout? Hauck won't sign Montana's 3 year because it has a massive buyout.

Nobody really knows outside UD's AD. Because of UD's quasi-public/private stature, they don't have to release salary info.

LUHawker
September 9th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Here's to hoping that UD and Lehigh can re-start that traditional rivalry. I know UD will only want home games, but I can't see why 2 home and 1 away scenarios couldn't work.

DSUrocks07
September 9th, 2008, 08:44 AM

We would love to have UD at our place one day but 93henfan is right our stadium just isn't big enough yet...xwhistlex but maybe by 2012 we will have plans in motion for a bigger place xwhistlex say...a 21,000 seat horseshoe over behind Lowe's on US 13...xwhistlex you never know...xpeacex

BDKJMU
September 9th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I think Coach Keeler is right, but that is easier to say when you are putting 20,000-30,000 per game in the seats like Delaware, App and Montana.

That $300,000 FBS check is a must for those who draw 8,000-12,000 per game on a 5-6 home game schedule.

ASU hit 27-28 k last yr for a few games I believe. UD and UM I believe are usually low 20s. None of them has hit 30k in attendance.

mcveyrl
September 9th, 2008, 08:46 AM
ASU hit 27-28 k last yr for a few games I believe. UD and UM I believe are usually low 20s. None of them has hit 30k in attendance.

App hit 30K against Jaxville.

Will probably be close to that for all of their home games.

BDKJMU
September 9th, 2008, 09:07 AM

Wonder why they didn't hit 30k last yr? I remember reading that 5 of their 6 regular season home games last yr were in the 27 something k to 28 something K.

mcveyrl
September 9th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Wonder why they didn't hit 30k last yr? I remember reading that 5 of their 6 regular season home games last yr were in the 27 something k to 28 something K.

Stadium upgrades.

Black Saturday
September 9th, 2008, 10:06 AM

Had APP been playing a conference opponent maybe the attendance reached a few k more. TS Gustav could have held the number down as well.

mcveyrl
September 9th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Had APP been playing a conference opponent maybe the attendance reached a few k more. TS Gustav could have held the number down as well.

How many more can they fit in there?

aust42
September 9th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I think not ever playing a 1A team again SUCKS big time. It's fun playing Navy and it was great playing Maryland this year. Their winnable games and great trips for Delaware fans.

89Hen
September 9th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I think not ever playing a 1A team again SUCKS big time. It's fun playing Navy and it was great playing Maryland this year. Their winnable games and great trips for Delaware fans.

Here's to hoping that UD and Lehigh can re-start that traditional rivalry.
Agreed on both accounts. I'd love to see LU back on the slate and I'd love to see a I-A every once in a while.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 9th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I think JMU may be able to take on this scheduling policy in a few years as well. We all know how much Mickey hates the I-A games.

whitey
September 9th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I think JMU may be able to take on this scheduling policy in a few years as well. We all know how much Mickey hates the I-A games.

Agreed. Once Phase I is complete I wonder what the difference would be between hosting an additional home game versus playing @ Duke or @ Maryland.

UNI Pike
September 9th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I believe that this is the first statement from Keeler that I have ever agreed with in the past several years. Hopefully they can get good match ups, not just PFL teams.

DetroitFlyer
September 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I believe that this is the first statement from Keeler that I have ever agreed with in the past several years. Hopefully they can get good match ups, not just PFL teams.

Most PFL teams have far too much respect for their programs to play one sided series. Dayton, for example, will not play a one sided series. If the "other" UD wants to play Dayton, plan on making a trip to Welcome Stadium as part of the deal! This is a GREAT policy IMHO! Now, you might be able to entice a Morehead State or Jacksonville for a money game, but good luck with the rest of the PFL! Remember Northern Iowa playing at Drake?

All Keeler is doing is what the real "UD" has done forever.... We do not whore ourselves out for an almost sure loss in order to participate in one sided money games.

Ruler
September 9th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Then we should keep playing Central Ohio? That seems pretty one sided in Daytons favor.

Forget Drake UNI. Do you remember Lehigh 19 Drake 0?

93henfan
September 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM
the real "UD"

University of Delaware: founded 1743
University of Dayton: founded 1850

Ok, that sort of clears up the real UD issue without even having to disrespect the caliber of your football program. Have a nice day.:)

UNI Pike
September 9th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Not quite certain where the Drake UNI reference is going. However Drake beat Illinois State last year 27-24.

The point of my post was to encourage DEL to play competitive teams, not the equivalent of a bought win. When you have limited or no scholarships (PFL) the visitor is at a serious disadvantage before the game starts. Nothing more than that.

WUTNDITWAA
September 9th, 2008, 02:52 PM

This is a practice I just don't get. FBS games are a recruiting tool.

89Hen
September 9th, 2008, 02:53 PM
All Keeler is doing is what the real "UD" has done forever.... We do not whore ourselves out for an almost sure loss in order to participate in one sided money games.
xcoolx Stick with Urbana, Whittenburg, Tiffin, Central State, St. Joe's, Ohio Northern, Canisius... xcoffeex

Hood
September 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I want to see the Colonels play Delaware. That is a trip I would make. I always wanted to visit the state.

Nebuta
September 9th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Good for UD. UD probably makes more money from ticket revenues at home playing in front of 22,000+ fans then going to a local FBS school. UD should look for more I-AA schools that want to play at the tub twice in front of a packed house.

89Hen
September 9th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I want to see the Colonels play Delaware. That is a trip I would make. I always wanted to visit the state.
Best part is you can visit the entire state in one day. :p

Go...gate
September 9th, 2008, 06:20 PM

I agree. Why not test yourself against the higher division?

Go...gate
September 9th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Agreed on both accounts. I'd love to see LU back on the slate and I'd love to see a I-A every once in a while.

Especially Navy, for pete's sake!! That is a great local rivalry.

DetroitFlyer
September 10th, 2008, 08:53 AM
xcoolx Stick with Urbana, Whittenburg, Tiffin, Central State, St. Joe's, Ohio Northern, Canisius... xcoffeex

Dayton plays 11 FCS games this season and one Division II game this season.

Try again!

89Hen
September 10th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Dayton plays 11 FCS games this season and one Division II game this season.

Try again!
You calling other people whores is hillarious when you have teams like the ones I listed come into your house. Some teams 'whore' for the money. You 'whore' for a home game and easy win. I guess the difference is the money helps programs, but I'm not sure what beating DIII Whittenberg in front of 4100 fans does for you.

When Delaware plays a DII at home, it's because we don't have to pay them much and can keep most of the gate from the 22,000 fans that come. When they play a I-A on the road, it's because they think they can (and often do) beat them.

BTW, the Hen fans despise the DII game (it's most likely going away). You seem to relish it. xcoffeex

appfan2008
September 10th, 2008, 09:14 AM
every time i look at keeler's name on here i read keebler and it makes me laugh...

dont ask why i have no idea...

93henfan
September 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM
every time i look at keeler's name on here i read keebler and it makes me laugh...

The elf looks more like Tubby:

http://www.thewebpen.net/blog/images/ernie.png

bluehenbillk
September 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Most of the UD fans input here is dead on. UD fans want to end the WCU and D-2 games and wanna play occasionally against the 1-A'S.

KC is gonna want no return games against the lesser FCS conferences and maybe 2:1 against some others like we have upcoming with SDSU.

Hen fans realize when you play some of the better FCS they'd be true home and homes.

BlueHen86
September 10th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Most of the UD fans input here is dead on. UD fans want to end the WCU and D-2 games and wanna play occasionally against the 1-A'S.

KC is gonna want no return games against the lesser FCS conferences and maybe 2:1 against some others like we have upcoming with SDSU.

Hen fans realize when you play some of the better FCS they'd be true home and homes.
I agree.

Bull Fan
September 10th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Every time I hear Keeler mentioned, I think, "wow, that's one big-ass head".

appfan2008
September 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Every time I hear Keeler mentioned, I think, "wow, that's one big-ass head".

got a picture of him???

Bull Fan
September 10th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Funny, since the bobblehead is true to scale.

http://loot-ninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/mr-met.jpg

http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2005/jul/KCBobblehead006lg.jpg

Uncle Buck
September 10th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Great picture, but i didn't know that Tony Robbins was a Delaware grad!

Bull Fan
September 10th, 2008, 02:26 PM
They obviously used forecepts on that thing.

Uncle Buck
September 10th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I heard his mother had a birth canal that was about as wide as a garden hose. Imagine trying to squeeze a watermelon through that!

Bull Fan
September 10th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Here's another shot.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2a/DemonDeaconACB.jpg/300px-DemonDeaconACB.jpg

CollegeObserver
September 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM
When Delaware plays a DII at home, it's because we don't have to pay them much and can keep most of the gate from the 22,000 fans that come. When they play a I-A on the road, it's because they think they can (and often do) beat them.

BTW, the Hen fans despise the DII game (it's most likely going away). You seem to relish it. xcoffeex

What do you suppose we actually pay WCUPA? Their coach Zwaan claims that the payout covers their 21.5 schollies. I suspect that the payout is FAR in excess of what any other FCS pays out for a visiting team, DII or otherwise.
The only reason some folks are okay with playing them, is their band. They didn't even bring the band last year. There's no good reason to play the game beyond this year. Break the sweetheart deal, I say. Enough already.

93henfan
September 10th, 2008, 04:39 PM
KC is on record as saying UD didn't make any money going to Maryland vice playing a home game. The Maryland payout was $300K, so that's got to be close to what Delaware is netting on a home game.

So what is Delaware grossing on a home game? Rough math says 20,000 people times $20 a ticket is $400K. 5,000 or so cars at $15 apiece parking is $75K. Lets say the average person pays $10 for food/beverage/souvenier/program/etc, there's another $200K. So that's around a $700K gross.

The difference between gross and net is $400K. Now you have to figure what Delaware's operational cost are to put on a game (utilities, maintenance, overhead, etc). I have no idea what that is. But whatever you think it is, deduct it from $400K and that's what they give a visitor. I'll take a wild guess and say the visitor payout is in the $100-$200K range.

And I believe that the WCU quote was 2 and a half scholarships, not 21 and a half scholarships.

Let's say a scholarship to West Chester is $25K a year. 21 schollies would be over $500K. I know UD's not paying that much!

Go...gate
September 10th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Most PFL teams have far too much respect for their programs to play one sided series. Dayton, for example, will not play a one sided series. If the "other" UD wants to play Dayton, plan on making a trip to Welcome Stadium as part of the deal! This is a GREAT policy IMHO! Now, you might be able to entice a Morehead State or Jacksonville for a money game, but good luck with the rest of the PFL! Remember Northern Iowa playing at Drake?

Don't be so sure, Flyer. Colgate, which has as much tradition and standing in FCS College Football as any school, is killing its own scheduling by insisting on home and home games in even proportion. We get more home games, that is for sure, but for the most part we are not getting as many "major" FCS opponents on the sked anymore, save Furman, UMass and Towson in recent years. We get no return game with CCU, for example.

Hood
September 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Best part is you can visit the entire state in one day. :p

I think of that bit in Wayne's World 2...

"Let's go to Delaware...we're in....Delaware. What's in....Delaware?"

93henfan
September 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Here's the state welcome video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRsWdTO6P7o

Seawolf97
September 10th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Especially Navy, for pete's sake!! That is a great local rivalry.

Not only Navy but Maryland, Rutgers and Temple are all short trips. It is strange for an FCS power to step back a little. I guess time will tell if this policy pays dividends.
Personally Im looking forward to start playing FBS teams in 2010-it helps giving the program a little name recognition against a major opponent.

93henfan
September 11th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Only problem with Navy is that they coach some pretty nasty kneecapping with their blocking. We usually come out of the Navy game with an injured lineman or three. It's how Navy compensates for having generally smaller lineman at the FBS level. Our whole second half of the season last year after Navy was played with piecemeal lines on both sides of the ball due to all the injuries sustained in Annapolis. On the other hand, we came out of College Park on opening day this year unscathed.

89Hen
September 11th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Not only Navy but Maryland, Rutgers and Temple are all short trips. It is strange for an FCS power to step back a little.
Most (I'd guess 90%+) I-A games are done for the money with almost no chance of winning. As 93 pointed out, Delaware didn't make any more money by playing Maryland than they would have by hosting say Stony Brook. There are only a handful of programs for whom that would be the case. The Hens already have a schedule every year that will provide them with enough ranked opponents to make the playoffs as an at-large with an 8-3 record. So there really is no need to play I-A games other than some fans would like to see one once in a while. xpeacex

89Hen
September 11th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I suspect that the payout is FAR in excess of what any other FCS pays out for a visiting team, DII or otherwise.
I don't, otherwise the Hens wouldn't do it. I've always understood that the low payout was always one of the reasons WCUPA has remained on the schedule for so long.

LacesOut
September 11th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Thank God the West Chester series will end soon. Should have ended it the last time it was up to be renewed. I have refused to go to this game since the mid 90's.

Would love to see UD play Del State a couple of times and some other decent I-AA teams that have never been to Newark.

Regarding the I-A teams on the schedule, I could care less. I never travel to see them play.

93hen - It costs $15 for parking now???!!

SunCoastBlueHen
September 11th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Here's the state welcome video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRsWdTO6P7o

That song makes me laugh every time I hear it - I've been to almost every place mentioned. :p

93henfan
September 11th, 2008, 03:58 PM
93hen - It costs $15 for parking now???!!

Affirmative, per the 2008 Fan Guide that was sent with my season tix. I usually park at the Wachovia Bank right across S. College Ave for $10. It's close, it's paved, and I can get right on 896 south and head home without funnelling out of the color lots.

CollegeObserver
September 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I don't, otherwise the Hens wouldn't do it. I've always understood that the low payout was always one of the reasons WCUPA has remained on the schedule for so long.

I guess we'll never know. However, since various WCUPA coaches have described the importance of the payday to the program, I do wonder.