PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings-Week 2

JALMOND
September 8th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Ok, back on schedule. Impressive showings by the conference in all games played last week. Both EWU and Sac State took the Colorado teams down to the wire, Montana got that impressive victory on the road and Weber had the lead on Hawaii at the half. All that happened, here are the power rankings for the conference this week. All are my opinion and all are open for discussion. This week (last week)...

1. Eastern Washington (1)---After controlling the game all day, it came down to a pass that the Eagles most definitely would have liked back. Still, Colorado could never breathe easy as the Eagles proceeded to march down the field in the final seconds only to have the ball be intercepted with 11 seconds left. After the two Big 12 games, the Eagles showed they are ready to be the top dog in the conference. A bye will give them a chance to lick their wounds and be ready.

2. Montana (2)---Griz don't play on the road, Griz can't win on the road, Griz can't beat a strong opponent on the road, yada yada yada. The win at Cal Poly showed that the Griz never rebuild, only reload, and it also showed that they are willing to fight to keep their hold on the conference. Griz get their home opener this weekend when Southern Utah comes calling. One thing for sure, they CAN play at home.

3. Weber State (3)---While everyone was celebrating great games and near misses, the Wildcats were doing everything possible to scare Hawaii. In the end, the Warriors were just too much. This week, DII Dixie State comes calling from the south. Should be a fine tune up for the Wildcats.

4. Northern Arizona (4)---Big games all around in the conference and the Jacks pasted one on DII New Mexico Highlands. That's fine because they had their strong showing against FBS nationally ranked Arizona State the week before. This week, a much needed rest before resuming the following week.

5. Sacramento State (7)---So close for the Hornets in their game against Colorado State. Controlled the whole game for the whole day and it comes down to a fumble deep in your own territory and a field goal with no time left. Still, what it did was get the Hornets some recognition, something this program has been dying to receive over the last few years. This week, at home against Southern Oregon should get the Hornets back on the right foot.

6. Montana State (5)---I know its Kansas State, I know its the Big 12, and I know it was on the road. But the Bobcats were thoroughly embarrased by the Wildcats in every way possible. It is possible to chalk this up to FBS against FCS, but when two teams that most have predicted to finish above Kansas State have to fight for most of the game against one of your fellow conference opponents, it does not bode well for the rest of the season. This week, how about a trip to the Big 10 and Minnesota. The Bobcats need a good showing here.

7. Portland State (6)---The Vikings had a bye this week but due to the strong showing by Sacramento State, lost a spot. This week a trip to Davis for a game against the Aggies. Do they finally have the quarterback spot set?

8. Northern Colorado (8)---It looked promising for the Bears for 2 and a half quarters against Purdue, then someone woke the Boilermakers up. Still, the Bears showed that they are on the right track and are set for the year. This week, a bye week to study and heal.

9. Idaho State (9)---The Bengals were looking for some payback at Idaho after their showing at Boise State. What they faced was a Vandal team eager to end their 11 game losing streak to the Bengals. Late scores by the Bengals made this game seem closer than it really was. A bye coming here, too, with a game next Thursday against transitional North Dakota. This should give them the opportunity to turn things around.

Quarterback play is always a necessity in the Big Sky and this year is no exception as the top 4 all are strong at quarterback and the others are struggling to find one. A lot of teams have the week off (only five games on schedule) so it will give them all a chance to find one.

Grizzaholic
September 8th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Well spoken once again from the man.

Grizaholic17
September 8th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Sacramento surprised me with their showing against CSU. Kudos to them

cats2506
September 8th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Good job, I'm not taking anything away from Sac St as they played CSU to the wire, but I dont see CSU finishing above KSU in the Big XII.

MSU hurt themselves more than KSU did, giving up 42 points on TO and stupid mistakes we would have lost to a DII team.

I Bleed Purple
September 8th, 2008, 10:26 PM
CSU plays in the MWC.

SactoHornetFan
September 8th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Bleed: I think he meant that CSU in the MWC is not a better team than KSU in the Big XII, which I agree. However, I think we are at this point at least tied with NAU IMO. Otherwise, spot on Jalmond.

ncbears
September 8th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I would switch Montana and EW, but otherwise nice job man.

UNCBears2010
September 8th, 2008, 10:37 PM
No quarrel with your rankings at all, they're superb as usual!xthumbsupx

UNC does have a QB though, it's Bryan Waggener. He had a very good showing against Purdue: 27-42, 216 Yards, 1 TD, 0 INT.

GrizFanIRAQ
September 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Good job, I'm not taking anything away from Sac St as they played CSU to the wire, but I dont see CSU finishing above KSU in the Big XII.

MSU hurt themselves more than KSU did, giving up 42 points on TO and stupid mistakes we would have lost to a DII team.

Good thing it wasnt Chadron St. xlolx

ysupenguins!
September 8th, 2008, 11:01 PM
No quarrel with your rankings at all, they're superb as usual!xthumbsupx

UNC does have a QB though, it's Bryan Waggener. He had a very good showing against Purdue: 27-42, 216 Yards, 1 TD, 0 INT.

I was very impressed with that performance as well. Is he a senior this year? Or younger??

Hellgate60
September 8th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks! I always look forward to your power rankings and predictions!

uofmman1122
September 8th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I thought Montana earned the #1 spot, but meh...

Call me a homer. xlolxxwhistlex

JALMOND
September 8th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Bleed: I think he meant that CSU in the MWC is not a better team than KSU in the Big XII, which I agree. However, I think we are at this point at least tied with NAU IMO. Otherwise, spot on Jalmond.

Actually was in reference to EWU's two games against the Big 12, Texas Tech and Colorado. Many are predicting both of those to finish second in each of their Big 12 divisions. Consensious pick is Kansas State fourth in the North (and the North has been thought of to be the weaker of the two Big 12 divisions).

UNCBears2010
September 9th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I was very impressed with that performance as well. Is he a senior this year? Or younger??

He's a junior. Transferred in from Florida after a redshirt year and before that was a 4-star recruit coming out of junior college.

I Bleed Purple
September 9th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Seems good to me.

Keep in mind that Etuati and Smith played little to none in the second half. That might have had some effect on the outcome on the offensive side.

Peems
September 9th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Even with the Griz win and EWU lost, I agree with keepin EWU up there. In all honesty EWU has looked pretty solid against two FBS TEAMS. It's extremely hard to judge how they will do against our own level of competition, but considering they have had no trouble on offense against either team and actually slowed Texas Tech, I'd say they are still deserving of the number one spot.

EdubAlum
September 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Even with the Griz win and EWU lost, I agree with keepin EWU up there. In all honesty EWU has looked pretty solid against two FBS TEAMS. It's extremely hard to judge how they will do against our own level of competition, but considering they have had no trouble on offense against either team and actually slowed Texas Tech, I'd say they are still deserving of the number one spot.

I'm really impressed with the Big Sky as a whole this year. We have Montana and EWU, and then CSU, NAU, and Weber really flexing some muscle.

already123
September 9th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I would have to agree...tho EWU is BY FAR the BEST 0-2 in the country at any level, they dont deserve to be number one at this point. I would say-

Griz
EWU
NAU/WSU
--so on,so forth--

SactoHornetFan
September 9th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I'm really impressed with the Big Sky as a whole this year. We have Montana and EWU, and then CSU, NAU, and Weber really flexing some muscle.

Each week this year is going to be an absolute battle. I like that :)

appfan2008
September 9th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I love your rankings this week as I do every week and just like a lot of other people I would have to put montana number one... You cant ask for anymore out of ewu than they did against those opponents but I would have to reward actually winning and the griz beat a very good opponent on the road which should be rewarded IMHO

Canyoncat
September 9th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Can't argue with anything. I do think you will see a much much better preformance out of MSU this weekend in Minnesota!

Screamin_Eagle174
September 9th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Can't argue with anything. I do think you will see a much much better preformance out of MSU this weekend in Minnesota!

I'd sure as hell hope so!

Grizaholic17
September 9th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I'd sure as hell hope so!

MSU will come along. They always do. They have some holes to fill at places though.