PDA

View Full Version : CAA Wk#3 Predictions

jstclmet
September 8th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Wk#1 8 - 1 + 1 Abstention
Wk#2 7 - 1.
Congrats to UNH. I'm happy to be wrong on that one, and it may be the "W" to get you guys in the playoffs. Hopefully not at the expense of Nova again.

Wk #3
Earlier I thought UD would blow WCU out (thinking 77 - 7 or something similar), and didn't bother with a score. Now, I'm not so sure anymore. But here's the real question. There's no doubt UD will win the game, but what should the expected win margin be?? Would 21 - 7 with the starters playing all 4 qtrs leave the UD faithful filling confident??? How bout 35 - 7, again with starters playing all 4 qtrs??? Would you be happy with 35 - 7 by the 3rd qtr, with subs playing in the 4th and not scoring??? Just curious.

W&M blows out VMI. Again no need to post a score. Real question is Will VMI score, and how much???

JMU vs UMass - Game of the week. I'm standing by my earlier prediction of UMass winning 24 - 17. I'm still of the opinion UMass is too strong for JMU up front.

Hofstra @ Albany - Earlier I imagined HU holding on for a 21 - 20 win against a scrappy Albany team. Now I'm of the opinion that Albany will be the favored @ home, but HU comes from behind to win in the closing moments for an emotional 21 - 20 victory.

Northeastern @ Georgia So - NU fights hard but comes up short on the road 13 - 17.

Maine 28 vs Stony Brook 13. Maine's D too tough for SB.

New Hampshire 28 @ URI 13. This game may not actually be this close.

Richmond 28 vs Towson 13. This game is closer than it should be, but TU plays UR tough.

Nova 31 vs Lehigh 13. It actually may be a long day for Lehigh.

Good Luck

Seawolf97
September 8th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Wk#2 7 - 1.
Congrats to UNH. I'm happy to be wrong on that one, and it may be the "W" to get you guys in the playoffs. Hopefully not at the expense of Nova again.

Wk #3
Earlier I thought UD would blow WCU out (thinking 77 - 7 or something similar), and didn't bother with a score. Now, I'm not so sure anymore. But here's the real question. There's no doubt UD will win the game, but what should the expected win margin be?? Would 21 - 7 with the starters playing all 4 qtrs leave the UD faithful filling confident??? How bout 35 - 7, again with starters playing all 4 qtrs??? Would you be happy with 35 - 7 by the 3rd qtr, with subs playing in the 4th and not scoring??? Just curious.

W&M blows out VMI. Again no need to post a score. Real question is Will VMI score, and how much???

JMU vs UMass - Game of the week. I'm standing by my earlier prediction of UMass winning 24 - 17. I'm still of the opinion UMass is too strong for JMU up front.

Hofstra @ Albany - Earlier I imagined HU holding on for a 21 - 20 win against a scrappy Albany team. Now I'm of the opinion that Albany will be the favored @ home, but HU comes from behind to win in the closing moments for an emotional 21 - 20 victory.

Northeastern @ Georgia So - NU fights hard but comes up short on the road 13 - 17.

Richmond 28 vs Towson 13. This game is closer than it should be, but TU plays UR tough.

Good Luck

I would reverse that Maine-SBU score. We won in double OT last year and I think Monmouth hung against the Blackbears last Saturday and they have only 30 scholarship players.xcoffeex

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 8th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Agree with Seawolf. Unless Maine has been holding something back so far, Stony Brook should win.

I would reverse that Maine-SBU score. We won in double OT last year and I think Monmouth hung against the Blackbears last Saturday and they have only 30 scholarship players.xcoffeex

Redwyn
September 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Hofstra vs. Albany should be an incredible game, can't wait to see what happens there

Seawolf97
September 8th, 2008, 08:38 PM
With the loss of Hofstra's QB this could be an even match. Albany has the weapons to win .

mainejeff
September 8th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Agree with Seawolf. Unless Maine has been holding something back so far, Stony Brook should win.

Maine's home opener.....a night game.....vs. a team that they lost to on the road last season??? xconfusedx

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Maine 38 Stony Brook 10

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 8th, 2008, 09:02 PM
You're the guy that was really impressed by the showing at Iowa where you lost by like 50 over Labor Day weekend too, right?

Maine's home opener.....a night game.....vs. a team that they lost to on the road last season??? xconfusedx

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Maine 38 Stony Brook 10

Seawolf97
September 8th, 2008, 09:11 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Maine 38 Stony Brook 10

Sounds like Wolfie is going the the WOOD SHEDxbawlingx Doubt it.

mainejeff
September 9th, 2008, 12:10 PM
You're the guy that was really impressed by the showing at Iowa where you lost by like 50 over Labor Day weekend too, right?

I liked the way that we played for 3 quarters (25-3). Not impressed with Stony Brook's 2OT win over last season's disaster of a Maine team. Also wasn't very impressed with Richmond at UVA last weekend.......see you in a couple of weeks! :)

93henfan
September 9th, 2008, 12:31 PM

I will be happy with a 'W'. I don't care if we beat them 3-2.

I think Delaware wants to keep the offense very vanilla in this one with a trip to Furman coming up next week. No need to tip any strategy for the cameras. Get an early lead, let Schoenhoft get some target practice in the first half, then run, run, run out the clock all second half. My prediction is something along the lines of 31-10.

In the other games, I like W&M, UMass, Albany, Georgia Southern, Maine, UNH, Richmond and 'Nova.

Black Saturday
September 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Wk#2 7 - 1.

Wk #3

Good Luck

That should be about right playing against JMU's #2's. I heard MM is going to hold out his #1's to rest for the next game, because it is more important......jk:)

Eight Legger
September 9th, 2008, 01:31 PM
It doesn't sound like Maine has a lot, but unless Stony Brook has vastly improved from the team we demolished 42-0 last year, I suspect the Bears will win it by 10 or so.

mainejeff
September 9th, 2008, 01:44 PM
It doesn't sound like Maine has a lot, but unless Stony Brook has vastly improved from the team we demolished 42-0 last year, I suspect the Bears will win it by 10 or so.

Do you REALLY know anything about CAA teams North of Newark?.......xrolleyesx

appfan2008
September 9th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I hope JMU wins bc they really dont need to be any hungrier than they already are for the ASU game the next week

JmuSkinsfan
September 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM
No comment on the JMU game...but I do agree with a lot of what UMASS and JMU fans are saying in the game thread...I'm just too scared to predict

Nebuta
September 9th, 2008, 03:23 PM
UD rolls WCU, Smith runs, and runs, and runs all over the cupcake. UD defense continues to look solid. I would not be suprised if they pitch a shutout.

W&M beats down VMI, William and Mary played well last week and will play even better this week. William and Mary will be a spoiler for some CAA teams looking to get in the playoffs this year. I like the Tribe this year.

JMU just too much for UMass, I dont care if UMass is at home. The crowd can't get on the field and save UMass from having a bad day. JMU will expose UMass's weakness just has Holy Cross did. The Dukes will not look pass the minutemen for App St is coming next weekend. I expect the Dukes to roll.

Albany over HU. I like Albany here. Just dont think Hofstra has it in them.

Georgia Southern over NE. If this game was at Northeastern, I would go with the NE but unless Hurricane Ike changes course, I dont see it changing venues. I would love to see an upset.

Maine over Stoney Brook. Farkes and company too much.

New Hampshire over URI. Just like last week, URI will not score on UNH.

Richmond's 2nd string over Towson. Blow out city. Richmond should roll in this one and prove that they are the cream of the crop in the CAA. Schaefer and the boys will get a couple scores unforunately, the spiders pretty much score at will with Ward at the helm.

Nova over lee hi.

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
September 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM
JMU just too much for UMass, I dont care if UMass is at home. The crowd can't get on the field and save UMass from having a bad day. JMU will expose UMass's weakness just has Holy Cross did. The Dukes will not look pass the minutemen for App St is coming next weekend. I expect the Dukes to roll.

game is at JMU

Nebuta
September 9th, 2008, 03:28 PM
game is at JMU

xeekx Have another beer.. JMU will roll in front of the home crowd. JMU on a bad day is still a 2 touchdown favorite over Holy Cross on a good day. JMU wins going away.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 9th, 2008, 07:19 PM
We were down 3-0 to a 1-A program half way through the 4th quarter. You may not have noticed since you were in a dog fight in West Long Branch, New Jersey.

I hope you come down to Richmond next week with the expectation of winning ... I don't want to see us lay a beating on you like Iowa did and have you come on here posting about moral victories again.

I liked the way that we played for 3 quarters (25-3). Not impressed with Stony Brook's 2OT win over last season's disaster of a Maine team. Also wasn't very impressed with Richmond at UVA last weekend.......see you in a couple of weeks! :)

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 9th, 2008, 08:47 PM
W&M 56, VMI 0. W&M gets on a roll.

JMU 35 vs UMass 21. UMASS defense is not the same. JMU top of the class.

Hofstra 24 @ Albany 28 Upset win for Danes at home.

Northeastern 14 @ Georgia So 38. Ga So speed and tradition too tough at home.

Maine 14@ Stony Brook 28. Stony Brook new star, Eddie Gowins, runs wild in upste victory.

New Hampshire 52 @ URI 21. URI has NO running game, UNH DB's are quicker this year and there seems to be some DL play for the 'Cats (finally)

Richmond 35, Towson 13. Breeze for the Spidahs

Villanova 45 vs Lehigh 13. CAA new force vs Patriot wanna be

Seawolf97
September 9th, 2008, 09:02 PM
W&M 56, VMI 0. W&M gets on a roll.

JMU 35 vs UMass 21. UMASS defense is not the same. JMU top of the class.

Hofstra 24 @ Albany 28 Upset win for Danes at home.

Northeastern 14 @ Georgia So 38. Ga So speed and tradition too tough at home.

Maine 14@ Stony Brook 28. Stony Brook new star, Eddie Gowins, runs wild in upste victory.

New Hampshire 52 @ URI 21. URI has NO running game, UNH DB's are quicker this year and there seems to be some DL play for the 'Cats (finally)

Richmond 35, Towson 13. Breeze for the Spidahs

Villanova 45 vs Lehigh 13. CAA new force vs Patriot wanna be

Eddie Gowins is the real deal. He will be someone to watch as his career moves forward. By the way Stonybrook is at Maine.xthumbsupx

umassfan
September 9th, 2008, 11:00 PM
xeekx Have another beer.. JMU will roll in front of the home crowd. JMU on a bad day is still a 2 touchdown favorite over Holy Cross on a good day. JMU wins going away.

Your on crack if you think that?

mainejeff
September 9th, 2008, 11:55 PM
We were down 3-0 to a 1-A program half way through the 4th quarter. You may not have noticed since you were in a dog fight in West Long Branch, New Jersey.

I hope you come down to Richmond next week with the expectation of winning ... I don't want to see us lay a beating on you like Iowa did and have you come on here posting about moral victories again.

You were down 3-0 to a pitiful Virginia team.......I watched the game (and watched Virginia get smacked last week).

bleedblue
September 10th, 2008, 12:01 AM
JMU wins this game. Mickey and friends knows this game means so much more than ASU. Landers may out score umass by himself. Landers with 4 rushing TD's and one passing. JMU will be flying around that field. Strap it up umass.

UNHWildCats
September 10th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Your on crack if you think that?
DISCLAIMER: umassfan's posts are from the hip, unreferenced and largely unresearched. If someone finds fault with them, too bad, I'm too busy to put real effort in.

KAUMASS
September 10th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Here are my thoughts on the UMass/JMU tilt:

Everybody seems down on UMass's defense this year. I have a gut feeling that UMass defense makes an agressive, stifling appearance this Saturday. Brown will make adjustments after two games of playing limited packages and will open his playbook on D for the start of the CAA. One thing I am pleased about is the adjustments at halftime our defense has made. They have played much better in the second half of both games this year. They still need to play better in the first half.

Our first two games last year against Holy Cross and Colgate UMass gave up 364 total yards to HC and 312 total yards to Colgate respectively. This year, we gave up 335 yards to Albany and 375 yards to Holy Cross respectively. Special teams play has been spotty this year. They weren't consistant in the first two games last year either.

Holy Cross is a better team than they were last year and Albany certainly is better than Colgate was last year.

Holy Cross has the potential and players to win the Patriot. Albany is going to give Hofstra, UNH and Delaware a game, assuming they have no injuries to the players who played against UMass.

Both teams have a lot to prove this Saturday.

This will be a close game. On paper I will give JMU by 3 at home. My gut feeling is UMass D plays tough and our offense clicks with ball control and UMass takes it by 7. Can't wait for Saturday.

GeeWiz
September 10th, 2008, 11:04 AM
UNH 38 URI 14 - Wildcats have way too many weapons for Rhody

'Nova 34 Lehigh 21 - Antwon Young is too much to handle for the Mountain Hawks

JMU 28 UMass 21 - UMass hangs tough, but Dukes are tough to beat in Harrisonburg

Richmond 31 Towson 13 - Spiders continue to look like the best team in the CAA with easy win over TU

Maine 27 Stony Brook 24 - The Dirty Cubs pull out a last minute win in Orono

Delaware 27 West Chester 7 - The UD offense finds the endzone and their confidence in this waste-of-time rivalry

Georgia So. 35 NU 21 - I think NU will keep this close but Eagles will pull away in the 4th quarter

W & M 34 VMI 21 - Too much Phillips for the Keydets to pull off an upset win

Albany 24 Hofstra 17 - I think the Pride will struggle offensively and drop their home opener to the Danes

GeeWiz
September 10th, 2008, 11:09 AM
You were down 3-0 to a pitiful Virginia team.......I watched the game (and watched Virginia get smacked last week).

So you're saying that Maine would have performed better against UVA than Richmond?

xeyebrowx

andy7171
September 10th, 2008, 12:36 PM
W&M
UMASS
ALBANY
GSU
MAINE
UNH
NOVA
richmond -taking the Spiders is the smart easy move, but for some reason they struggle against Towson every year. I wouldn't be surprised if this one goes down to the wire again in a shoot out.

mainejeff
September 10th, 2008, 02:52 PM
So you're saying that Maine would have performed better against UVA than Richmond?

xeyebrowx

Where did I say that Einstein? xconfusedx

mainejeff
September 10th, 2008, 02:55 PM
William & Mary 31 VMI 10
UMass 38 JMU 34
Hofstra 17 Albany 16
Georgia Southern 45 Northeastern 20
Maine 38 Stony Brook 10
UNH 24 URI 20
Towson 17 Richmond 16
Villanova 45 Lehigh 17

Uncle Buck
September 10th, 2008, 03:10 PM
William & Mary 42 VMI 14

JMU 27 UMass 20

Albany 17 Hofstra 14 with a defensive TD for the Dutch. Unless the backup QB developed a hell of a lot over the last two weeks, our offense will be anemic.

Georgia Southern 35 Northeastern 23

Maine 27 Stony Brook 24 Maine looking for revenge at home

UNH 32 URI 13 URI still finding itself without Casey

Richmond 24 Towson 21 Towson hangs tough, but Richmond prevails

Villanova 42 Lehigh 17

ur2k
September 10th, 2008, 03:23 PM
W&M
UMASS
ALBANY
GSU
MAINE
UNH
NOVA
richmond -taking the Spiders is the smart easy move, but for some reason they struggle against Towson every year. I wouldn't be surprised if this one goes down to the wire again in a shoot out.

I hate playing you guys, we always seem to have a problem with Schaefer. I hope we come out swinging after losing last year on the final play. It'll also be nice to play at home after 2 on the road.

Monarch History
September 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM
William & Mary
UMass
Hofstra
Georgia Southern 35
Stony Brook
UNH
Richmond
Villanova

Old Cage
September 10th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Every year on this board: UMass is going to get clobbered by Delaware, UMass is going to get clobbered by JMU, UMass is going to get clobbered by Montana, UMass is going to get clobbered by Georgia Southern, UMass is going to get clobbered by App State.

There are a lot of folks here that over an extended period that don't have a clue. One of these years we may get clobbered. So be it. Until then, don't bet the Chatty trip money.

Col Hogan
September 10th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Every year on this board: UMass is going to get clobbered by Delaware, UMass is going to get clobbered by JMU, UMass is going to get clobbered by Montana, UMass is going to get clobbered by Georgia Southern, UMass is going to get clobbered by App State.

There are a lot of folks here that over an extended period that don't have a clue. One of these years we may get clobbered. So be it. Until then, don't bet the Chatty trip money.
xoutofrepx
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 10th, 2008, 07:28 PM
There's really not a lot of use trying to talk sense into you, huh?

I hope you'll come down for the game next week so you can witness it in person. Ask for me in the Closed End.

Turfwar
September 11th, 2008, 07:58 AM
35 - 17 in favor of JMU, the Bridgeforth Atmosphere is too much!!!

89Hen
September 11th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Dern it, I've avoided doing these for the first two weeks, but have to do it. I did pretty well last year with my CAA predictions. xthumbsupx

JMU 24 - UMass 17
Richmond 38 - Towson 10
UNH 35 - URI 10
Delaware 41 - West Chester 0
William & Mary 41 - VMI 7
Hofstra 20 - Albany 13
Georgia Southern 31 - Northeastern 7
Maine 28 - Stony Brook 17
Villanova 24 - Lehigh 14

89Hen
September 11th, 2008, 10:39 AM
UMass winning 24 - 17

UMass

UMASS

UMass 38 JMU 34

UMass

And every week of every year many UMass fans whine and cry if every single person on the face of the Earth doesn't bow down to the Minutemen and proclaim them the best team in the universe and every player the Player of the Week, All Conference and All American. For Christ's sake guys, give it rest. xnonono2x xpeacex

GannonFan
September 11th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Here’s my take:

New Hampshire 45 Rhode Island 10 - As I said before, UNH is more about the system than it was about Santos, and they have so much returning and such a good system that they aren’t missing a beat this year. UNH is the class of the North and they handle a bad URI team in the midst of a coaching philosophy change and that combination leads to a cakewalk for the Wildcats.

Lehigh 7 villanova 35 - There used to be a time not long ago when Lehigh was relevant. Actually, Lehigh was decent in ’04 losing an OT game against UD they should have won and then losing a playoff game to JMU that again, they probably should’ve won. But in 4 short years, Lehigh has gone from a tough team to a middling Patriot League team. nova should handle this one pretty easily, with the defense leading the way and snuffing out a lackluster Engineer (I don’t recognize the silly other nickname) team.

Towson 10 Richmond 35 - Richmond finally gets a break after a tough SoCon game to start the year and then the excruciating game last week against UVA when Richmond couldn’t win a game that was almost handed to them. Towson, on the other hand, again struggled with cross-town rival Morgan St. Towson just isn’t any good this year, and Schaeffer has nothing to work with and not a good defense to pick up the slack. Richmond rolls easily in this one.

UMass 35 JMU 38 - Game of the week for the conference as for the first time this year two contenders for the league title meet. UMass has, as they always seem to do now, struggled in the early going against inferior competition, but, as typical, avoided disaster and got the W. JMU looked abysmal against Duke and then played what amounted to a walkthrough in pads last weekend against what could be the CAA’s weakest OOC team this year. UMass is uncharacteristically struggling on defense, especially against the run, and that plays into JMU’s passing-deficient offensive gameplan. Coen, though, is lighting things up and that should play into JMU’s weakness of an average defense, and maybe even less than average passing defense. A shoot-out should entail, as JMU will score too quickly to play a clock-chewing gameplan like they would prefer to do. I like JMU in this one as I think they’ll get the stop or two they’ll need more than I think UMass will.

Stony Brook 24 Maine 21 – Maine should have revenge on their mind as they lost to this SUNY school last year on the road. The Brook now has to travel to Orono. I don’t like the feel from Maine. First Cosgrove tries to bail out in the offseason to of all places Rhode Island, then Maine is flat out uncompetitive against Iowa in a blowout and then has to hold on to dear life to beat a bad Monmouth team (granted, it was raining heavily). Stony Brook, on the other hand, destroyed Colgate and hung with a tough Elon team. I see two in a row for the Brook over the Black Bears and dark days ahead for Maine.

Northeastern 14 Georgia Southern 42 – The Husky deathmarch ’08 continues for Northeastern. GSU is not the team they were last year with Jayson Foster gone, but they are still pretty decent. The score may not be as bad as I’m predicting, but it would be an upset of tremendous proportions if NU keeps it to within a score, let alone win. I don’t see them doing it, though.

West Chester 7 Delaware 42 - This rivalry has ceased being competitive in recent years, and although West Chester is a top 20 DII team, the separation between the two programs has never been so disparate, hence why this series will end in 2012. UD gets a chance to iron the wrinkles out of the offense before next week’s big clash against Furman, and UD’s defense will stymie West Chester, and most teams this year, all night.

Albany 35 Hofstra 10 – This game probably wasn’t going to be a good one for Hofstra even before their QB got hurt. Now, it looks like a 2-0 run this weekend for the SUNY system against the CAA. Going to be a long year for Cohen and company on the Island.

VMI 10 William and Mary 49 – Talk about non-competitive, W&M gets their annual W against a hapless VMI team that is a sure signal that Fall is upon us. W&M will remain a mystery, though, for how good they really are, until October, when they open up conference play against nova, UNH, and UD, with the last two on the road. Until then, it’s cakewalk central with this game and Norfolk St on the horizon.

Maroon&White
September 11th, 2008, 10:55 AM
And every week of every year many UMass fans whine and cry if every single person on the face of the Earth doesn't bow down to the Minutemen and proclaim them the best team in the universe and every player the Player of the Week, All Conference and All American. For Christ's sake guys, give it rest. xnonono2x xpeacex

xdeadhorsex

It's not like it's every UMass fan or even just UMass fans. It happens with every team, every week, every year. For Christ's sake, give it a rest.

Seawolf97
September 11th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Here’s my take:

New Hampshire 45 Rhode Island 10 - As I said before, UNH is more about the system than it was about Santos, and they have so much returning and such a good system that they aren’t missing a beat this year. UNH is the class of the North and they handle a bad URI team in the midst of a coaching philosophy change and that combination leads to a cakewalk for the Wildcats.

Lehigh 7 villanova 35 - There used to be a time not long ago when Lehigh was relevant. Actually, Lehigh was decent in ’04 losing an OT game against UD they should have won and then losing a playoff game to JMU that again, they probably should’ve won. But in 4 short years, Lehigh has gone from a tough team to a middling Patriot League team. nova should handle this one pretty easily, with the defense leading the way and snuffing out a lackluster Engineer (I don’t recognize the silly other nickname) team.

Towson 10 Richmond 35 - Richmond finally gets a break after a tough SoCon game to start the year and then the excruciating game last week against UVA when Richmond couldn’t win a game that was almost handed to them. Towson, on the other hand, again struggled with cross-town rival Morgan St. Towson just isn’t any good this year, and Schaeffer has nothing to work with and not a good defense to pick up the slack. Richmond rolls easily in this one.

UMass 35 JMU 38 - Game of the week for the conference as for the first time this year two contenders for the league title meet. UMass has, as they always seem to do now, struggled in the early going against inferior competition, but, as typical, avoided disaster and got the W. JMU looked abysmal against Duke and then played what amounted to a walkthrough in pads last weekend against what could be the CAA’s weakest OOC team this year. UMass is uncharacteristically struggling on defense, especially against the run, and that plays into JMU’s passing-deficient offensive gameplan. Coen, though, is lighting things up and that should play into JMU’s weakness of an average defense, and maybe even less than average passing defense. A shoot-out should entail, as JMU will score too quickly to play a clock-chewing gameplan like they would prefer to do. I like JMU in this one as I think they’ll get the stop or two they’ll need more than I think UMass will.

Stony Brook 24 Maine 21 – Maine should have revenge on their mind as they lost to this SUNY school last year on the road. The Brook now has to travel to Orono. I don’t like the feel from Maine. First Cosgrove tries to bail out in the offseason to of all places Rhode Island, then Maine is flat out uncompetitive against Iowa in a blowout and then has to hold on to dear life to beat a bad Monmouth team (granted, it was raining heavily). Stony Brook, on the other hand, destroyed Colgate and hung with a tough Elon team. I see two in a row for the Brook over the Black Bears and dark days ahead for Maine.

Northeastern 14 Georgia Southern 42 – The Husky deathmarch ’08 continues for Northeastern. GSU is not the team they were last year with Jayson Foster gone, but they are still pretty decent. The score may not be as bad as I’m predicting, but it would be an upset of tremendous proportions if NU keeps it to within a score, let alone win. I don’t see them doing it, though.

West Chester 7 Delaware 42 - This rivalry has ceased being competitive in recent years, and although West Chester is a top 20 DII team, the separation between the two programs has never been so disparate, hence why this series will end in 2012. UD gets a chance to iron the wrinkles out of the offense before next week’s big clash against Furman, and UD’s defense will stymie West Chester, and most teams this year, all night.

Albany 35 Hofstra 10 – This game probably wasn’t going to be a good one for Hofstra even before their QB got hurt. Now, it looks like a 2-0 run this weekend for the SUNY system against the CAA. Going to be a long year for Cohen and company on the Island.

VMI 10 William and Mary 49 – Talk about non-competitive, W&M gets their annual W against a hapless VMI team that is a sure signal that Fall is upon us. W&M will remain a mystery, though, for how good they really are, until October, when they open up conference play against nova, UNH, and UD, with the last two on the road. Until then, it’s cakewalk central with this game and Norfolk St on the horizon.

My sentiments exactly. If we get a great running game going which I expect from Cuttino and Gowins and modest passing we win:)

89Hen
September 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
It's not like it's every UMass fan or even just UMass fans. It happens with every team, every week, every year.
But UMass fans easily won the poll that was conducted last year for doing this. xnodx

BTW, that's why I specifically said MANY.

BTW2, you may have competition this year from Elon fans.

Tribe4SF
September 11th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Here’s my take:

Don't tell the NSU Spartans they're part of a cakewalk for us. They were 8-3 last year, and picked up a very good QB from UConn. Pete Adrian has that program moving.

GannonFan
September 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Don't tell the NSU Spartans they're part of a cakewalk for us. They were 8-3 last year, and picked up a very good QB from UConn. Pete Adrian has that program moving.

And they were the second place team from the MEAC last year who saw their best team get obliterated in the first round of the playoffs. Gotta see something from them to erase that image of a cakewalk.

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 11th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Eddie Gowins is the real deal. He will be someone to watch as his career moves forward. By the way Stonybrook is at Maine.xthumbsupx

SOrry, I knew that. WOn't change the outcome of the game. Gowins returns to the state of Maine where he starred as a PG for the best (& only) all PG institution in the country: Bridgton Academy.

As a matter of fact, starting QB for SB is also a BA grad (07, I think).

Keep an eye on BA this year, too. Some great talent prepping in little North Bridgton this fall.

Tribe4SF
September 12th, 2008, 07:31 AM
And they were the second place team from the MEAC last year who saw their best team get obliterated in the first round of the playoffs. Gotta see something from them to erase that image of a cakewalk.

DSU was obliterated by a national finalist. So every team that can't hang with the top five in the country shall now be known as a "cakewalk"? Furman was pounded by Wofford last year, so I guess they are part of the Hen's current "cakewalk".xrolleyesx

GannonFan
September 12th, 2008, 11:11 AM
DSU was obliterated by a national finalist. So every team that can't hang with the top five in the country shall now be known as a "cakewalk"? Furman was pounded by Wofford last year, so I guess they are part of the Hen's current "cakewalk".xrolleyesx

Many a team would've destroyed DSU last year - it was a miracle they got through the MEAC unscathed with that offense they were putting on the field last year. Actually, several blown officials calls during the year (ah, gotta love the state of refereeing in the MEAC, don't ya?) helped DSU get through unscathed. Not a banner year for the MEAC in '07.

Oh, and that national finalist last year was in a tie for 3rd in the CAA South last year (actually could've been as low as 4th as they lost the head to head tiebreaker for 3rd), as many fellow conference mates would've pointed out moreso had UD not had the playoff run they had.

ViennaSpider
September 13th, 2008, 05:39 PM
"Richmond's 2nd string over Towson. Blow out city. Richmond should roll in this one and prove that they are the cream of the crop in the CAA. Schaefer and the boys will get a couple scores unforunately, the spiders pretty much score at will with Ward at the helm."

You hit this one on the nose!

BDKJMU
September 13th, 2008, 05:57 PM

JMU 52, UMass 38. You're totally clueless when it comes to JMU football. The UMass fans prediciting a win you could chalk up to homerism. I believe you're the only non UMass fan who picked UMass by as much as a TD.

Still predicting JMU to go 6-5?

Please pick ASU over JMU next week, as the opposite of what you pick will likely happen.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Great win by the Dukes today. Who do they play next week? I am having a hard time pulling up their schedule and haven't heard who they are playing next week. Who's up next?

JMU 52, UMass 38. You're totally clueless when it comes to JMU football. The UMass fans prediciting a win you could chalk up to homerism. I believe you're the only non UMass fan who picked UMass by as much as a TD.

Please pick ASU over JMU next week, as the opposite of what you pick will likely happen.

89Hen
September 13th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Every year on this board: UMass is going to get clobbered by...

There are a lot of folks here that over an extended period that don't have a clue.
xpeacex

Longhorn
September 13th, 2008, 07:30 PM

Have you cleaned those Nova goggles of yours yet? xlolx

mainejeff
September 13th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Did Stony Brook win?

xcoffeex

ccd494
September 13th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Maine held SBU to 72 yards rushing on 38 attempts, a 1.8 average.

Fluellen was over 100 yards again (17/117/6.4).

Farkes 12-22, 148, 4 TD's, only sacked once.

Maine forced 4 turnovers.

Downside, Maine missed two more FGs.

In other words: nice call, everyone, picking the Seawolves.

GannonFan
September 13th, 2008, 11:35 PM

You're going to have to get a thicker skin, it won't be the last time that a lot of people pick against Maine this year and they're going to start racking up a lot of correct predictions. xcoffeex

rcny46
September 13th, 2008, 11:39 PM

Not everyone.For some reason,I didn't think there was much doubt about the outcome of this game.

Hoyadestroya85
September 13th, 2008, 11:44 PM

Fluellen is a beast

mainejeff
September 13th, 2008, 11:47 PM
You're going to have to get a thicker skin, it won't be the last time that a lot of people pick against Maine this year and they're going to start racking up a lot of correct predictions. xcoffeex

Nice win vs. West Chester! xthumbsupx

xcoffeex

ccd494
September 14th, 2008, 12:06 AM

I'm not that upset, or at all surprised. Maine's also going to gack up a fair amount of games they should win. I wouldn't be shocked by a losing record in CAA play. But a Big South team, at home? C'mon. A little faith from fellow CAA fans would be nice.

GannonFan
September 14th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Nice win vs. West Chester! xthumbsupx

xcoffeex

Don't worry, there's a visit to Newark coming up in a few weeks for the Black Bears. How do those turn out typically? :p

mainejeff
September 14th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Don't worry, there's a visit to Newark coming up in a few weeks for the Black Bears. How do those turn out typically? :p

Like I said........nice win vs. Chest Wester! xthumbsupx

xcoffeex

mainejeff
September 14th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I'm not that upset, or at all surprised. Maine's also going to gack up a fair amount of games they should win. I wouldn't be shocked by a losing record in CAA play. But a Big South team, at home? C'mon. A little faith from fellow CAA fans would be nice.

Exactly......heck, most CAA South fans didn't even realize that Stony Brook had a real football program a couple of years ago. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx I'd mention Stony Brook and Albany over on the CAAZone and get laughed at........of course then Delaware actually had to play Albany.......I guess that we know how that turned out.

xcoffeex

Redwyn
September 14th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Well, regardless of the rude awakening the SUNY I-AA programs have given the CAA in the past, last night Stony Brook was manhandled. That first drive made me so optimistic....then I check the score 15 minutes later and we were losing by a touchdown, haha.

Nebuta
September 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM
xthumbsupx
UD rolls WCU, Smith runs, and runs, and runs all over the cupcake. UD defense continues to look solid. I would not be suprised if they pitch a shutout. 48-20xthumbsupx

W&M beats down VMI, William and Mary played well last week and will play even better this week. William and Mary will be a spoiler for some CAA teams looking to get in the playoffs this year. I like the Tribe this year. 52-17 xthumbsupx

JMU just too much for UMass, I dont care if UMass is at home. JMU will expose UMass's weakness just has Holy Cross did. The Dukes will not look pass the minutemen for App St is coming next weekend. I expect the Dukes to roll. 52-38 xthumbsupx

Albany over HU. I like Albany here. Just dont think Hofstra has it in them. 22-16 xthumbsupx

Georgia Southern over NE. If this game was at Northeastern, I would go with the NE but unless Hurricane Ike changes course, I dont see it changing venues. I would love to see an upset. -doh almost xthumbsupx

Maine over Stoney Brook. Farkes and company too much. 28-13 xthumbsupx

New Hampshire over URI. Just like last week, URI will not score on UNH. 51-43 guess I was giving UNH defense too much credit xlolx

Richmond's 2nd string over Towson. Blow out city. Richmond should roll in this one and prove that they are the cream of the crop in the CAA. Schaefer and the boys will get a couple scores unforunately, the spiders pretty much score at will with Ward at the helm. - 45-14 xthumbsupx did we see the 2nd string? didnt go to the game.

Nova over lee hi. 33-14 xthumbsupx

Dukie95
September 14th, 2008, 09:46 AM

He did all his picks pre-season. He has ASU down for a 42-24 win.

DTSpider
September 14th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Exactly......heck, most CAA South fans didn't even realize that Stony Brook had a real football program a couple of years ago. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx I'd mention Stony Brook and Albany over on the CAAZone and get laughed at........of course then Delaware actually had to play Albany.......I guess that we know how that turned out.

xcoffeex

Richmond manhandled Stony Brook last year. No offense to Stony Brook, but they are not at the level of the programs in the CAA South.

http://richmondspiders.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/101307aab.html

89Hen
September 14th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Not a bad week of picking for me. Really didn't expect JMU/UMass to put up that many points and I thought without Casey URI would really struggle to put up points. Only missed HU/Albany, but I had it a close game.

JMU 24 - UMass 17 (52-38)
Richmond 38 - Towson 10 (45-14) xthumbsupx
UNH 35 - URI 10 (51-43)
Delaware 41 - West Chester 0 (48-20) xthumbsupx
William & Mary 41 - VMI 7 (52-17) xthumbsupx
Hofstra 20 - Albany 13 (16-22)
Georgia Southern 31 - Northeastern 7 (34-27)
Maine 28 - Stony Brook 17 (28-13) xthumbsupx
Villanova 24 - Lehigh 14 (33-14) xthumbsupx

jstclmet
September 14th, 2008, 05:18 PM

So far, I'm 2 - 1 picking JMU games. And as you already know, I've picked ASU to beat JMU. I'm feelin kind'a lucky.

The real question is, "Is JMU REALLY THAT GOOD"??? Or "Is UMASS REALLY THAT BAD"??? I'd create a poll, but I sense there would not be a lot of objective voting from the Purple crowd, skewing the poll outcome.

But, nonetheless, good game, good win. This should do a lot for your team's confidence.

As for UMASS, it doesn't get any smoother, as I think they have TT next, OUCH. They may get dropped out of the top 25 after that game.

Seawolf97
September 14th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Hats off to Maine- we were totally outclassed last night. We coudnt do
anything right. After that 1st TD it went downhill from there. Good Win for the Blackbearsxthumbsupx

89Hen
September 15th, 2008, 07:48 AM
The real question is, "Is JMU REALLY THAT GOOD"??? Or "Is UMASS REALLY THAT BAD"??? I'd create a poll, but I sense there would not be a lot of objective voting from the Purple crowd, skewing the poll outcome.
I think both and neither at the same time. JMU > UMass right now, that's about it.

Dukie95
September 15th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I think both and neither at the same time. JMU > UMass right now, that's about it.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Three games in and I still don't have a good sense of where we stand. If UMASS had been more impressive in their other two wins, maybe I'd feel differently.

Did UMASS intentionally do just enough to win to keep us guessing on video, or were those games really that close?

mcveyrl
September 15th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Three games in and I still don't have a good sense of where we stand. If UMASS had been more impressive in their other two wins, maybe I'd feel differently.

Did UMASS intentionally do just enough to win to keep us guessing on video, or were those games really that close?

Yea, after the game I was not overly excited about the team. It was a good win, but 38 is a lot of points to give up, even if it is Coen and company.