PDA

View Full Version : TSN Poll- Week 2

smallcollegefbfan
September 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Appalachian State strengthens No. 1 ranking

Philadelphia (Sports Network) - Appalachian State received 95 of 120 votes cast to remain at the top of The Sports Network FCS Top-25 poll released Monday.

The Mountaineers, the three-time defending FCS champion, won their first game of the season on Saturday, beating Jacksonville 56-7 before a record crowd of 30,718 at Kidd Brewer Stadium. ASU had lost its opener to LSU, 41-13.

North Dakota State used a 50-14 crushing of Central Connecticut State to stay in the No. 2 spot behind Appalachian State for the third straight week. The Bison received 22 first-place votes.

Three other teams also grabbed first-place votes, Massachusetts, Montana and Delaware with one each.

UMass survived a 45-42 thriller with Holy Cross and bounced up one spot to No. 3 in the poll, while Richmond fell from third to fourth with its 16-0 loss to Virginia. Richmond trailed just 3-0 into the fourth quarter.

Montana remained at No. 5 after its heart-stopping 30-28 victory at Cal Poly, while idle Delaware stayed in the No. 6 slot. James Madison used a 56-7 win over North Carolina Central to hop up one spot, while McNeese State rose from 10th to eighth with a 52-27 triumph over Delta State.

Completing the top 10 were Northern Iowa, which kept hold of the No. 9 position by beating South Dakota 24-13, and New Hampshire, whose 28-10 victory over Army caused it to vault five spots from 15th to 10th.

Starting out the second 10 were No. 11 Southern Illinois and No. 12 Wofford, both bumping up by one spot. South Dakota State used a 40-7 spanking of Youngstown State to skyrocket from 21st to 13th in the new poll.

Cal Poly's loss to Montana cost it three positions from 11th to 14th, while Western Illinois gained three places to 15th.

Eastern Washington tumbled from seventh to 16th, even though it nearly beat Colorado. It was the second straight loss to an FBS team for the Eagles.

Completing the top 20 were No. 17 Georgia Southern, No. 18 Elon, No. 19 Central Arkansas and No. 20 Eastern Illinois. Central Arkansas picked up three places, while Georgia Southern, Elon and Eastern Illinois all lost one spot.

Villanova, The Citadel, Youngstown State, Harvard and Liberty completed the poll. Liberty entered the poll for the first time this season, replacing Eastern Kentucky.

Sports Network's FCS College Football Poll
Team (First-place votes) Record Points Previous Rank
1. Appalachian State Mountaineers (85) 1-1 2,976 1
2. North Dakota State Bison (22) 2-0 2,775 2
3. Massachusetts Minutemen (1) 2-0 2,647 4
4. Richmond Spiders 1-1 2,606 3
5. Montana Grizzlies (1) 1-0 2,572 5
6. Delaware Blue Hens (1) 0-1 2,561 6
7. James Madison Dukes 1-1 2,470 8
8. McNeese State Cowboys 1-1 2,218 10
9. Northern Iowa Panthers 0-1 1,504 9
10. New Hampshire Wildcats 1-0 1,400 15
11. Southern Illinois Salukis 1-0 1,343 12
12. Wofford Terriers 1-0 1,293 13
13. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 1-1 994 21
14. Cal Poly Mustangs 1-1 962 11
15. Western Illinois Leathernecks 1-1 918 18
16. Eastern Washington Eagles 0-2 866 7
17. Georgia Southern Eagles 1-1 833 16
18. Elon Phoenix 1-1 820 17
19. Central Arkansas Bears 2-0 597 22
20. Eastern Illinois Panthers 0-2 517 19
21. Villanova Wildcats 0-1 470 23
22. The Citadel Bulldogs 1-1 411 20
23. Youngstown State Penguins 0-2 228 14
24. Harvard Crimson 0-0 191 25
25. Liberty Flames 2-0 147 NR

Others receiving votes: Northern Arizona 125, Furman 113, Delaware State 95, Sam Houston State 89, Fordham 65, Eastern Kentucky 54, Jacksonville State 51, Hampton 46, Tennessee State 43, Yale 42, Holy Cross 41, South Carolina State 21, San Diego 18, Norfolk State 17, UC Davis 16, Montana State 15, Sacramento State 15, Grambling 13, North Dakota 12, South Dakota 12, Prairie View 10, Dayton 8, Coastal Carolina 8, Albany 7, Colgate 5, Hofstra 5, Stony Brook 5, Nicholls State 3, Northwestern State 2, Lafayette 1, Texas State 1.

appfan2008
September 8th, 2008, 03:03 PM
seems as though the polls are very split between asu and ndsu... in the polls where asu is on top they are on top big...

Grizzaholic
September 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Other than Youngstown it is not bad.

elcid96
September 8th, 2008, 03:08 PM
How is Youngstown still in the poll? Maybe one more blowout, after two already, will be enought to dump them from the poll.

Green Cookie Monster
September 8th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I like Liberty, but they have played two completely unknown teams and are ranked 25th? Who else is on their schedule, the Peace Corps?

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I proudly voted for NDSU as the #1 team in the nation in the Sports Network top 25... ;)

Screamin_Eagle174
September 8th, 2008, 03:15 PM
7th to 16th for leading Colorado the whole and losing in the final seconds?

AppAlum2003
September 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM
7th to 16th for leading Colorado the whole and losing in the final seconds?

That'll teach you to lose.... ....jerks.

</sarcasm>

already123
September 8th, 2008, 03:17 PM
YSU still being ranked is not fair....throw them at 27th for now IMO...once they win their next 2 games, back at 20

SuperJon
September 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I like Liberty, but they have played two completely unknown teams and are ranked 25th? Who else is on their schedule, the Peace Corps?

Since it hasn't been posted here, I will. We had originally had a DII game and then an FCS game for our first two games. The FCS backed out at the last minutes and we were forced to play an FBS game on the road or a DII at home. The school is still trying to rebuild the football program and build support for the team so they wanted 7 home games this year, thus opting for the second Division II game. Everyone would've rather played an FCS school.

To answer you question though, we still have Western Carolina, Youngstown St, Lafayette, and Elon in the non-conference schedule and all of the Big South schools. With the new earned-access rules, we are set up perfectly to make a run at that.

elcid96
September 8th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Since it hasn't been posted here, I will. We had originally had a DII game and then an FCS game for our first two games. The FCS backed out at the last minutes and we were forced to play an FBS game on the road or a DII at home. The school is still trying to rebuild the football program and build support for the team so they wanted 7 home games this year, thus opting for the second Division II game. Everyone would've rather played an FCS school.

To answer you question though, we still have Western Carolina, Youngstown St, Lafayette, and Elon in the non-conference schedule and all of the Big South schools. With the new earned-access rules, we are set up perfectly to make a run at that.

Only one ranked team on the schedule. Its win all or stay home come playoff time.

dbackjon
September 8th, 2008, 03:52 PM
YSU still ranked? Lazy

Green26
September 8th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I don't understand why UMass would jump over Richmond, given how Richmond played Virginia. If anything, I would have dropped UMass a bit, due to its close game with Holy Cross.

UNH jumped, but I suppose they could have gone up more. I don't know what they have on paper this year, though, so maybe this is fine.

Cal Poly should be higher.

I don't understand the huge drop for EWU--7 to 16. EWU was up 21-7 at half. CU scored a TD with 2 minutes to go, to tie the game, and then returned an interception for the winning TD a bit later. EWU's other loss is to Texas Tech, and EWU hung in there in that game too. That much of a drop is ridiculous. Someone isn't paying attention.

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Still seems that Furman needs to get some love in the polls. Two impressive games in a row.

Bison77
September 8th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I don't understand why UMass would jump over Richmond, given how Richmond played Virginia. If anything, I would have dropped UMass a bit, due to its close game with Holy Cross.

UNH jumped, but I suppose they could have gone up more. I don't know what they have on paper this year, though, so maybe this is fine.

I don't understand the huge drop for EWU--7 to 16. EWU was up 21-7 at half. CU scored a TD with 2 minutes to go, to tie the game, and then returned an interception for the winning TD a bit later. EWU's other loss is to Texas Tech, and EWU hung in there in that game too. That much of a drop is ridiculous. Someone isn't paying attention.

I agree - Also I don't know about GS having trouble with Austin Peay - maybe they should have dropped more than 1.

furman94
September 8th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Okay, The Citadel destroyed Webber (IMO a lesser opponent(not by much:D) than Mars Hill) as Furman did to MHC, The Citadel plays Clemson well, but still manages to lose to the tiggers by 28, Furman puts a scare in the Hokie Nation by holding Tech under 30 points in what was supposed to be a shutout, only losing by 17 in a game plagued by aweful ACC refs.

What has El Cid done to deserve the ranking, that FU hasn't?

bisonguy
September 8th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Would have thought Holy Cross would crack the top 25 by only losing by 3 pts to the #3 team. xeyebrowx

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Still seems that Furman needs to get some love in the polls. Two impressive games in a row.

Okay, The Citadel destroyed Webber (IMO a lesser opponent(not by much:D) than Mars Hill) as Furman did to MHC, The Citadel plays Clemson well, but still manages to lose to the tiggers by 28, Furman puts a scare in the Hokie Nation by holding Tech under 30 points in what was supposed to be a shutout, only losing by 17 in a game plagued by aweful ACC refs.

What has El Cid done to deserve the ranking, that FU hasn't?

Would have thought Holy Cross would crack the top 25 by only losing by 3 pts to the #3 team. xeyebrowx

It's mighty hard to enter the Top 25 after losing a game

The Citadel gets the benefit of the doubt because they started the year ranked, while Furman and Holy Cross still need to earn that, so to speak

OL FU
September 8th, 2008, 04:58 PM

The Citadel gets the benefit of the doubt because they started the year ranked, while Furman and Holy Cross still need to earn that, so to speak

xnodx xnodx xnodx

We're spoiledxnodx

and deservedly so I might addxsmiley_wix

IaaScribe
September 8th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I just don't get Eastern dropping nine spots. Makes no sense. What, were they supposed to win that game?

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2008, 05:19 PM
xnodx xnodx xnodx

We're spoiledxnodx

and deservedly so I might addxsmiley_wix

So far, Furman has done exactly what they were supposed to do

They beat Mars Hill, then lost to Virginia Tech. Nothing there is overly exciting or interesting

Now the real fun begins... :D xsmiley_wix xhypedx

Ronbo
September 8th, 2008, 05:20 PM

If you play the I-A's and lose you pay the price. Wait a minute didn't ASU lose big to a I-A? Well if you are anyone but ASU.xsmiley_wix

furman94
September 8th, 2008, 05:21 PM

Yeah, but didn't GSU go up like 2 spots after losing to UGA?

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah, but didn't GSU go up like 2 spots after losing to UGA?

Yeah, but they were already in

It's much harder to knock someone out of the poll for losing to Georgia than it is to let someone in for losing to Virginia Tech

At the end of the day, you both did exactly what was expected of you... xpeacex

Screamin_Eagle174
September 8th, 2008, 05:42 PM
If you play the I-A's and lose you pay the price. Wait a minute didn't ASU lose big to a I-A? Well if you are anyone but ASU.xsmiley_wix

xlolx

Actually, no matter whether we win or lose, the I-As pay the price... $450,000 each from Tech and Colorado! xlolx :D

Almost a cool Mill to show the nation how much grit and mettle we have, and almost getting an upset in the process. xthumbsupx

EmeryZach
September 8th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Why the hell did we move up to #3??????? Makes no sense to me. Do the voters actually watch the games? Or even just read the stats?

G.S.Green
September 8th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Hampton deserves better consideration.

OL FU
September 8th, 2008, 06:28 PM
So far, Furman has done exactly what they were supposed to do

They beat Mars Hill, then lost to Virginia Tech. Nothing there is overly exciting or interesting

Now the real fun begins... :D xsmiley_wix xhypedx

Assuming the trend continues, what are we suppose to do this Saturdayxeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

I think every Furman fan has been looking toward the next two games to see where we stand. You guys kinda threw us for a loop with the first one against SBxnodx

slycat
September 8th, 2008, 06:32 PM
YSU way is overrated. They have blown out in two games (Yes one was OSU but still).

This is why polls should start after week 3.

stevdock
September 8th, 2008, 06:38 PM
seems as though the polls are very split between asu and ndsu... in the polls where asu is on top they are on top big...

As they should be. We have beaten nobody and you lost to the defending champs. I don't think that we should be #1 and I don't think we should jump you guys even if we both take care of business in the coming weeks.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM
EWU really did get jobbed in this poll. Congrats on the big payday(s) though ... awesome! xthumbsupx

Did they stay healthy?

xlolx

Actually, no matter whether we win or lose, the I-As pay the price... $450,000 each from Tech and Colorado! xlolx :D

Almost a cool Mill to show the nation how much grit and mettle we have, and almost getting an upset in the process. xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
September 8th, 2008, 08:19 PM
EWU really did get jobbed in this poll. Congrats on the big payday(s) though ... awesome! xthumbsupx

Did they stay healthy?

Surprisingly, yes. Starting LB Lance Witherspoon was a little roughed up after a non-called holding/throwdown by Colorado, but he'll be ready to play in 2 weeks against Western Washington. Nobody was seriously hurt, and we have a bye this week to get back into prime condition. :)

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Assuming the trend continues, what are we suppose to do this Saturdayxeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

Freeze xcoolx

:p

RabidRabbit
September 8th, 2008, 08:56 PM
My concern about EWU is that they have 2 non-counters still to come, so the ONLY way to make the play-offs is to win the Big Sky, or lose no more than 1 conference game to have the 7 D-I wins. They really needed to win one of the two FBS games, and they didn't.

Eagle fans correct me if you have another FCS OOC game.

Youngstown will be out if they fall to another FCS team. Central will do nothing for them.

OL FU
September 9th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Freeze xcoolx

:p

Hey it's only Septemberxlolx

UDBlueLotFan
September 9th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Now, if we can just get Nova a win or two, we might be able to have 6 teams in the Top 10xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx

Sports Network's FCS College Football Poll
Team (First-place votes) Record Points Previous Rank
1. Appalachian State Mountaineers (85) 1-1 2,976 1
2. North Dakota State Bison (22) 2-0 2,775 2
3. Massachusetts Minutemen (1) 2-0 2,647 4
4. Richmond Spiders 1-1 2,606 3
5. Montana Grizzlies (1) 1-0 2,572 5
6. Delaware Blue Hens (1) 0-1 2,561 6
7. James Madison Dukes 1-1 2,470 8
8. McNeese State Cowboys 1-1 2,218 10
9. Northern Iowa Panthers 0-1 1,504 9
10. New Hampshire Wildcats 1-0 1,400 15

21. Villanova Wildcats 0-1 470 23

kalm
September 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM
We've played five $ money games in the last 3 years to the tune of about $2 million dollars. During the Texas Tech game, Larry Weir (the voice of the eagles) mentioned the $80 million press box he was sitting in, the $60 million 2nd press box planned for construction across the stadium, and the fact that the whole reason EWU was there in the first place was to pay off our $1.9 million dollar press box built in 2003 of which the funding fell through.

If we had won the Colorado game, we would have received fewer calls to schedule $ games and we would be back to the days of playing Idaho and San Jose State where the payoffs barely covered travel expenses. But my take is that EWU coach Beau Baldwin received a call right after CU had tied the game from Montana athletic director Jim O'day offering an additional $300k if EWU could somehow take a fall. EWU QB Matt Nichols, who had been sharp all day with no turnovers, mysteriously throws a pick 6 where the only intended receiver appeared to be the db, and next year we get expanded East grand stand seating making more room for Griz fans when they make their bi-annual trip to Cheney. xthumbsupx

Thundering_Herd
September 9th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Ditto! to all....