PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Players of the Week

smallcollegefbfan
September 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Patriot League Announces Football Players of the Week

Center Valley, Pa. - Bucknell's Marcello Trigg, Fordham's Nick Magiera, Holy Cross' Brett McDermott and Colgate's Mike Carbone have been selected as the first Patriot League Football Players of the Week for the 2008 season.

Trigg led the Bison to a 48-42 win over Duquesne by completing 14-of-16 passes for 290 yards and two touchdowns and also running for two scores. Magiera posted seven tackles, four tackles for a loss and two sacks to lead a dominating defensive effort as Fordham shut out Rhode Island, 16-0. McDermott had an 88-yard kickoff return for a touchdown and returned another kick 55 yards to set up a score in Holy Cross' 45-42 loss to No. 4 Massachusetts. Carbone made a team-high nine tackles, including a key stop in the final minutes, as Colgate rallied for a 23-19, final-play victory at Coastal Carolina.

Patriot League Offensive Player of the Week

Marcello Trigg, Bucknell Jr., QB, 5'11, 186, Tampa, Fla./Robinson

Trigg posted a spectacular effort as Bucknell won its season opener at home against Duquesne, 48-42. He completed his first 14 passes on his way to a 14-of-16 effort for 290 yards and two touchdowns through the air, and added two more touchdowns on the ground. His passing total was a career high, and he came 10 yards from becoming Bucknell's first 300-yard passer in 14 years. Trigg posted a 281.0 passing efficiency rating that ranks No. 1 in the nation among FCS quarterbacks. Trigg claims his first Offensive Player of the Week honor, and the first for Bucknell since Dante Ross on October 3, 2005.

Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week

Nick Magiera, Fordham So., LB, 6'1, 205, Carpentersville, Ill./Barrington

Magiera led a dominating defensive effort by compiling seven tackles, four tackles for a loss and two sacks in Fordham's 16-0 shutout over Rhode Island on Sunday. He also broke up a pass and helped Fordham's defense limit Rhode Island to -26 net rushing yards. Magiera earns his first Defensive Player of the Week honor.

Patriot League Special Teams Player of the Week

Brett McDermott, Holy Cross Sr., WR, 6'0, 206, Mansfield, Mass./Mansfield

McDermott earns Special Teams Player of the Week honors after a pair of huge kickoff returns to boost the Holy Cross attack in a 45-42 loss to No. 4 Massachusetts. He had an 88-yard kickoff return for a touchdown to give Holy Cross a 21-14 lead in the second quarter, which came after a 55-yard kickoff return that set the Crusaders up with a short field to take a 14-7 advantage. He finished with 143 yards on two kickoff returns, good for a 71.5 average which ranks No. 1 nationally. McDermott earns his second career and consecutive honor after claiming the last award in the 2007 season.

Patriot League Rookie Player of the Week

Mike Carbone, Colgate Fr., LB, 6'0, 215, Thorofare, N.J./West Deptford

Carbone led the Raiders with nine tackles and came up with a big play late in a last-second, 23-19 victory over Coastal Carolina. He tackled the Coastal Carolina runner one-yard short of a first down on a second down play on Coastal Carolina's final possession, forcing a punt that led to Colgate's winning score. Carbone made five solo tackles on the day.

Bogus Megapardus
September 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I guess Mo White sucks then, huh?

How many yards did he gain? Somehow I forgot . . . .

letsgopards04
September 8th, 2008, 12:33 PM
He had 212 on the ground or something like that but just because he didn't win player of the week isn't some conspiracy or anything.

carney2
September 8th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Gotta spread it around. It's not like Trigg is undeserving.

It's like me. I thought that I should have been valedictorian of my Lafayette graduating class, and that the 407 in my class with higher GPAs were shown special favoritism.