PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Week - Week Three

89Hen
September 8th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Same as before... only I-AA vs I-AA in this thread and don't whine if your game is not listed as a choice. We will have a close vote one of these times. xsmiley_wix

Mountaineer
September 8th, 2008, 11:12 AM
UMass at JMU for me. xthumbsupx Cal Poly at McNeese is also intriguing.

IABison
September 8th, 2008, 11:14 AM
CalPoly-McNeese... just not sure it's going to happen. xsmhx

89Hen
September 8th, 2008, 11:16 AM
UMass at JMU for me. xthumbsupx Cal Poly at McNeese is also intriguing.
+ WIU @ SDSU

I love seeing the OOC games and often vote for them, but conference games may be more important this year than ever before. There are so many teams in the CAA and MV fighting for those spots, conference standings are going to be huge this year.

dgreco
September 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM
umass vs. jmu

Mountaineer
September 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM
+ WIU @ SDSU

Definitely another great match-up. I picked the UMass/JMU game for selfish reasons. :p Hopefully it'll provide a glimpse of what we're up against the following week.

:D

xprayx

GSUhooligan
September 8th, 2008, 11:30 AM
UMASS/ JMU is an interesting battle of underperforming CAA powers (NCC is not a good measure). Will one of them step up and act like a top 10 team? Tune in Saturday to find out.

I picked WIU/SDSU though. WIU impressed me with their 1st game and SDSU's win over Youngstown may be an indication that they've arrived as a "top tier" MVC team.

appstate38
September 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM
UMass/JMU for me also. Cal Poly/McNeese a close second.

Grizzaholic
September 8th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Exactly what he said, but flip it.

appfan2008
September 8th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I went with cal poly-mcneese bc both are top 10-15 teams and it is a non conference game...

if umass @ jmu stays at the top spot jmu will probably host the game of the week in back to back weeks...

lizrdgizrd
September 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM
UMASS @ JMU for me. Cal-Poly at McNeese is 1a. Both games should be good and make for some movement in the polls next week.

RabidRabbit
September 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
UMASS/ JMU is an interesting battle of underperforming CAA powers (NCC is not a good measure). Will one of them step up and act like a top 10 team? Tune in Saturday to find out.

I picked WIU/SDSU though. WIU impressed me with their 1st game and SDSU's win over Youngstown may be an indication that they've arrived as a "top tier" MVC team.

I picked the Jacks/Leathernecks. Critical game for both to advance in the MVFC. Jacks need every home win that they can pick up.

McNeese & Cal Poly likewise have dire need of a win, especially Poly after MT escaped with the Griz win.

The CAA North/South masterpiece of UMass/JMU is a great one also.

Rob Iola
September 8th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Will Colgate be bringing their clock operator to the Furman game?

putter
September 8th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I picked JMU/Umass but I thought Poly/McNeese is a close second. Actually there were about 4 games that are legitimate GOW

813Jag
September 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I'm pulling for the two SWAC teams, we really need some OOC wins, splitting these games will really help the league.

dbackjon
September 8th, 2008, 12:16 PM
WIU/SDSU for those without East Coast Bias...

Cal-Poly/McNeese close second.

Overrated CAA teams third.

Grizaholic17
September 8th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Umass and JMU! Let's see what JMU is made of against a high powered Umass squad that could do some damage in the rankings.

brownbear
September 8th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Pretty much a tie, but I gave UMass-JMU the nod over Cal-Poly-McNeese

Seawolf97
September 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Going with two local powers Albany at Hofstra. Almost an even match this year.

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Will Colgate be bringing their clock operator to the Furman game?
Nah, just Coastal's :D

Lots of great matchups this week xnodx

I'd take any one of:
Furman at Colgate
Lehigh at Villanova
Massachusetts at James Madison
Western Illinois at South Dakota State
Cal Poly at McNeese State
Prairie View A&M at Sam Houston State

Since I have to vote, I'll take UMass-JMU. Conference game, extra implications there. WIU-SDSU comes in close under those considerations

The homer in me wants to pick Colgate-Furman, but this is a good-looking week xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx

Peems
September 9th, 2008, 01:43 AM
After having voted JMU UMASS, I actually think the Cal Poly McNeese game is more important. With no AQ Cal Poly needs every quality win they can get and if they lose to McNeese their playoff chances take a real shot. They would basically have to win out. Playing South Dakota does not count as a "win" and having Wisconsin for the last game of the season really means their chances are gonna be hurtin. If they won all their games(minus Wisco) they would have exactly 7 D1 wins. Would it be enough? Cal Poly needs this game.

mcveyrl
September 9th, 2008, 08:34 AM
After having voted JMU UMASS, I actually think the Cal Poly McNeese game is more important. With no AQ Cal Poly needs every quality win they can get and if they lose to McNeese their playoff chances take a real shot. They would basically have to win out. Playing South Dakota does not count as a "win" and having Wisconsin for the last game of the season really means their chances are gonna be hurtin. If they won all their games(minus Wisco) they would have exactly 7 D1 wins. Would it be enough? Cal Poly needs this game.

This is a good point, and gives me ample reason not to exercise the homer vote and vote for Cal Poly-McNeese....

I just hope it happens.

OLDMAIN80
September 9th, 2008, 08:43 AM

Dittoxthumbsupx

OL FU
September 9th, 2008, 08:44 AM

I agree with you. I did the same thing but should have voted Poly/McNeesexnodx

McNeese75
September 9th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I understand JMU vs Umass (sorta :D ) but,

I do not see how #15 vs #19 (SDSU vs WIU) trumps

McNeese (#6) vs (#10) Cal Poly xconfusedx

All these games are important but I think this game is more critical to the Pokes and Stangs for playoff qualification. McNeese has 3 non-qualifying games and Cal-Poly has at least two plus the loss to Montana last week.

xtwocentsx

RabidRabbit
September 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I understand JMU vs Umass (sorta :D ) but,

I do not see how #15 vs #19 (SDSU vs WIU) trumps

McNeese (#6) vs (#10) Cal Poly xconfusedx

All these games are important but I think this game is more critical to the Pokes and Stangs for playoff qualification. McNeese has 3 non-qualifying games and Cal-Poly has at least two plus the loss to Montana last week.

xtwocentsx

Cal Poly has 2 FBS games (SDSU & WIS), 3 rated FCS teams (MT, McNeese & SDSU) a non-counter game (U So Dak) for a 12 game schedule. Further, winning the Great West won't get them an AQ. Out of the five "tough" games (2 FBS and 3 rated FCS) they need to be 2-3 at the worst to have the 7 FCS+ wins. Basically, Cal Poly's chances at the playoffs hinge on the McNeese game at Lake Charles and on winning at Brookings (SDSU). Poly loses both they're home for Thanksgiving.

McNeese can get into the play-offs by winning the AQ out of the Southland. But if they are to get seeded, they need to win their tough OOC's. That's Poly and SDSU. Poly is at Lake Charles (Provided Ike doesn't interrupt). And SDSU in Brookings for Hobo Day.

This should be the GOTW.

It certainly is the best OOC match-up this week.

The North vs South CAA tussle between JMU - UMass will be a great match-up, but the loser isn't out of the play-off picture with the loss. However the loser should fall into the 10-15 ratings.

Up on the plains of Brookings, two teams with high asperations, and under the radar preseason hype will be playing. SDSU wins this, look out MoValley, the reigning GWFC champ will be playing for the AQ in the Dakota Marker Game. WIU wins the Beef Bowl, then they're serving notice that they are a top team. Western has SDSU, NDSU, UNI away - tough road to the title. SDSU has SIU, UNI, and NDSU away, also a tough road to the title. Both WIU and SDSU are uncertain, but likely powerful powers this year. This game will go a long ways toward establishing who the MoValley power teams are this year.

xtwocentsx xwhistlex xwhistlex

Uncle Buck
September 9th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Going with two local powers Albany at Hofstra. Almost an even match this year.

After HU's offensive ineptitude against UConn, i think Albany put on a better showing against UMass.

I went with JMU vs. UMass, a big game and test for both teams.

UDBlueLotFan
September 9th, 2008, 10:44 AM
no brainer,...JMU-UMassxnodx If we weren't considered "cupcakes", the College Gameday guys would be at this onexwhistlex If CalPoly wouldn't have lost to the Griz, then they would've gotten the nod.

89Hen
September 9th, 2008, 10:51 AM
no brainer,...JMU-UMassxnodx If we weren't considered "cupcakes", the College Gameday guys would be at this onexwhistlex
I'm not sure if you're being serious, but nationally this game doesn't matter to John Q. Hard to top Ohio State at USC. xcoffeex

appfan2008
September 9th, 2008, 10:56 AM

I voted for poly and mcneese only bc it is an ooc but with all those points you bring up I am even more sure about my choice... big game!

appfan2008
September 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure if you're being serious, but nationally this game doesn't matter to John Q. Hard to top Ohio State at USC. xcoffeex

I agree... that game will be huge nationally

Houndawg
September 9th, 2008, 10:59 AM

This is true and very well put; I went with Necks/Jacks (MoValley homer instinct) though, because WIU/SDSU is not only crucial to the participants but will, well, could, also have huge reverbrations down the road for SIU, UNI, and NDSU if tie-breakers are needed.

UDBlueLotFan
September 9th, 2008, 11:06 AM

Serious, but in our IAA world, not nationally. Cupcakes is what we our considered by the Coach and Herbie on College Gameday.

Retro
September 9th, 2008, 12:16 PM

USC will wipe the floor with overrated OSU... Of course Herbstreit and crew don't know anything outside of the bcs teams, so you'll never see those clowns on our campuses.xrolleyesx

Black Saturday
September 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM
UMASS @ JMU for me. Cal-Poly at McNeese is 1a. Both games should be good and make for some movement in the polls next week.

1b. has got to be WIU/SDSU based on their past games this season.

WCU LawCat
September 9th, 2008, 01:06 PM
No Liberty WCU

Death Dealer
September 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM
All of the arguments abouve are very well thought out, but I'm a homer, so it's FU @ Colgate for me.xnodx

skinny_uncle
September 9th, 2008, 04:42 PM
The Leathernecks @ SDSU. Probably a critical game for the playoff hopes of both schools considering the road they have ahead.

89Hen
September 9th, 2008, 05:22 PM
USC will wipe the floor with overrated OSU... Of course Herbstreit and crew don't know anything outside of the bcs teams, so you'll never see those clowns on our campuses.xrolleyesx
I think you're missing the point. Their ignorance of I-AA has nothing to do with them not coming to our games... it's the ignorance of John Q. But even then... 18,000 at JMU or 100,000 at USC... it's not really ignorance, but interest. Also, it won't matter that USC will wipe the floor with OSU, the TV ratings for that game will be exponentially higher than our NC game. That's the unfortunate reality, but in all honest, it doesn't bug me in the least. I love I-AA. That's all that matters to me. xpeacex

UDBlueLotFan
September 9th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I think you're missing the point. Their ignorance of I-AA has nothing to do with them not coming to our games... it's the ignorance of John Q. But even then... 18,000 at JMU or 100,000 at USC... it's not really ignorance, but interest. Also, it won't matter that USC will wipe the floor with OSU, the TV ratings for that game will be exponentially higher than our NC game. That's the unfortunate reality, but in all honest, it doesn't bug me in the least. I love I-AA. That's all that matters to me. xpeacex

exactly! xthumbsupx With all the "big-boy" games on last wkend, I was able to enjoy our bye-week watching UNH-Army, then UR-UVAxnodx

blackfordpu
September 9th, 2008, 06:48 PM
PVA&M vs. SHSU

HOMER ALERT!! xnodx

stevdock
September 9th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I went with SDSU and WIU for the following reasons. McNeese and Cal Poly everyone knows are good teams. Same with UMass and JMU. Both SDSU and WIU have a chance at being a really good team, and this one intrigues me as we will find out alot about both teams from this game.

katstrapper
September 9th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Prarie View @ Sam Houston should not be a game of the week nominee.xnonono2x

FCS Go!
September 9th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Prarie View @ Sam Houston should not be a game of the week nominee.xnonono2x

I don't know...If either one of them gets pummeled then that will tell us they're (the pummelee) not a top 25 contender. A close game won't tell us much, at least at this point in the season.

UDBlueLotFan
September 10th, 2008, 07:29 AM
No Liberty WCU

Is that an actually pregame pic? xsmiley_wix xlolx