PDA

View Full Version : Band Dictates NWST/Grambling Start-Time

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I guess I got all caught up in the distractions of the hurricanes to realize this one, but Northwestern State and Grambling have moved their kickoff up four hours to accommodate a band.

Are we in the SWAC or what? Thought this was the SLC. The band should not dictate the game nor should it be considered the "featured act" no matter how good the band is or no matter how bad the football team is.

Not a big fan of this move and just 10 days before the game...did Grambling relay the message that late?

NATCHITOCHES -- Kickoff time for the Saturday, Sept. 13 football game between Northwestern State and Grambling at Turpin Stadium in Natchitoches has been moved up to 2 p.m., four hours earlier than the 6 o’clock start time initially announced.

The afternoon kickoff will accommodate the Grambling band, which has been invited to perform the next day at a home game of the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars. It will allow the group to perform in Turpin Stadium and then travel to Jacksonville in time for the Jaguars’ game on Sunday, Sept. 14.

http://www.nsudemons.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=1574587&DB_OEM_ID=20000

Related threads on Fork'em Demons board...

http://forums.delphiforums.com/forkemdemons/messages/?msg=4268.1
http://forums.delphiforums.com/forkemdemons/messages/?msg=4275.1

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Worst part about this decision is that it does not benefit the players to play at 2 p.m compared to 6 p.m.

It's going to be as hot as Hades out there, does not benefit the fans either for that matter -- it's why most SLC schools play in the evenings in August and September, perhaps even into early October.

Why should the band get taken care of at the neglect of the players and fans?

NSUDemon98
September 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Worst part about this decision is that it does not benefit the players to play at 2 p.m compared to 6 p.m.

It's going to be as hot as Hades out there, does not benefit the fans either for that matter -- it's why most SLC schools play in the evenings in August and September, perhaps even into early October.

Why should the band get taken care of at the neglect of the players and fans?

If you have any questions you should probably direct them to Greg Burke, the AD...as no one on here is going to have the information you want.

Now, there may be people here that will make the assumptions that you would like to hear in order to keep this thread going, but as far as actual facts you won't find any on AGS.

All I know is that NSU has been wanting to schedule Grambling for 30 yrs and now that we finally have them on the schedule this was probably done to insure that it won't be another 34 yrs until we play again.

I don't see how this is any different from McNeese paying for the bands expenses when they traveled to Cowboy stadium a few years ago. :)

There, you wanted to get this thread off and moving I just helped you out.

McTailGator
September 8th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I don't see how this is any different from McNeese paying for the bands expenses when they traveled to Cowboy stadium a few years ago. :)

Ah the Mc-ENVY continues...

McNeese DID NOT pay their bands expense. Another line of B.S. generated by former McNeese folks, one of which we fired, and you now employ at Naca-No-Where State. They are indeed full of $7*t, which is why yu have them both now.

Grambling's BD asked us,

WE LAUGHED, (You caved)

and then they got the Grambling Lake Charles Alumi Chapter to "GUARANTEE" their expenses for the trip.

Their Alumni association held a "Concert" of sorts at Lake Charles-Boston High earlier that day, and they used the admission to cover their expenses.

NSUDemon98
September 8th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Ah the Mc-ENVY continues...

McNeese DID NOT pay their bands expense. Another line of B.S. generated by former McNeese folks, one of which we fired, and you now employ at Naca-No-Where State. They are indeed full of $7*t, which is why yu have them both now.

Grambling's BD asked us,

WE LAUGHED, (You caved)

and then they got the Grambling Lake Charles Alumi Chapter to "GUARANTEE" their expenses for the trip.

Their Alumni association held a "Concert" of sorts at Lake Charles-Boston High earlier that day, and they used the admission to cover their expenses.

Sorry, but since this thread is all about assumptions I have to just assume that McNeese did actually pay for Gramblings band travel expenses...until factual information is provided...and when I say factual information I don't mean your pissed off rants.

And I am just saying what I heard...I have given no factual information concerning either...just sayin...:)

houtexan
September 17th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Not good for the football players...however, I think it's good exposure for Grambling University to be able to perform at the Jacksonville Jaguars game. Interesting though that NW St. accomodated them...but then again the SLC is very accomodating and it bodes well for the conference.

siuham
September 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Not good for the football players...however, I think it's good exposure for Grambling University to be able to perform at the Jacksonville Jaguars game. Interesting though that NW St. accomodated them...but then again the SLC is very accomodating and it bodes well for the conference.

^^This.

Getting decent exposure at the expense of 4 hours? They'll take it.

Sucks for the team, good for the school.

BgJag
September 17th, 2008, 07:56 PM

To: roller1007 (49 of 79)

4275.49 in reply to 4275.42

Okay Roller, I asked one of the senior leaders on the team about the game time being changed...here is his response, in quotes:

"I think it is better actually, it gives peoples' parents time to visit afterward instead of going straight back."

I then asked if any of the players had complained about the time change:

"No everyone is glad that it is moved up."
Keep in mind, this is one of the leaders of the team. So if you want to argue with him, feel free. Otherwise, keep YOUR opinions out of the mouths of OUR players.

BTW, the above post was about the original scheduled date which was Saturday the 13th, because of IKE the game was play on Sunday, Gram band nor most of NWST band was there anyway on Sunday. Funny TT didn't update that bit of info.

TexasTerror
September 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I apologize BgJag...we were so caught up in Hurricane Ike. I was caught up on a personal and professional level. I'm sure Southern knows a thing about hurricanes or two, since they used it to run away from an opponent once.

Sonic98
September 18th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I don't see the problem. They change game times for various reason all the time. We have plenty of games around 2 or 3, and it never causes a problem.

To: roller1007 (49 of 79)

4275.49 in reply to 4275.42

Okay Roller, I asked one of the senior leaders on the team about the game time being changed...here is his response, in quotes:

"I think it is better actually, it gives peoples' parents time to visit afterward instead of going straight back."

I then asked if any of the players had complained about the time change:

"No everyone is glad that it is moved up."
Keep in mind, this is one of the leaders of the team. So if you want to argue with him, feel free. Otherwise, keep YOUR opinions out of the mouths of OUR players.

BTW, the above post was about the original scheduled date which was Saturday the 13th, because of IKE the game was play on Sunday, Gram band nor most of NWST band was there anyway on Sunday. Funny TT didn't update that bit of info.

I actually was just about to say that maybe the earlier time is a good thing. It gives people more time to do things after the game and always gives people more time to get ready for after parties and such.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I apologize BgJag...we were so caught up in Hurricane Ike. I was caught up on a personal and professional level. I'm sure Southern knows a thing about hurricanes or two, since they used it to run away from an opponent once.

You are sad xsmhx xsmhx . Do you know the damage Katrina caused in this area. Sad, Sad, SAD. xsmhx

BgJag
September 18th, 2008, 05:54 PM
You are sad xsmhx xsmhx . Do you know the damage Katrina caused in this area. Sad, Sad, SAD. xsmhx

What is even sadder is the school that bitched and whined about us not playing got hit a few weeks later causing them to miss another game and just recently they were on their board making jokes about us going to play Tenn St after Gustav, guess what...Ike hit them and yet they loss probably their biggest home game this season. God don't like ugly.xcoffeex xreadx

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Did not seem to impact another one of your squads...xwhistlex

What is even sadder is the school that bitched and whined about us not playing got hit a few weeks later causing them to miss another game and just recently they were on their board making jokes about us going to play Tenn St after Gustav, guess what...Ike hit them and yet they loss probably their biggest home game this season. God don't like ugly.xcoffeex xreadx

God does like his Frogger -- a Southern tradition. He looks out for those redshirt and freshmen so they can continue chasing balls over the hitting cages errrr overpass each year. xthumbsupx

Old Cage
September 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM
General statements:

Bands get paid to appear - sometimes large. I-AA football teams can lose large dollars.

BgJag
September 18th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Did not seem to impact another one of your squads...xwhistlex

God does like his Frogger -- a Southern tradition. He looks out for those redshirt and freshmen so they can continue chasing balls over the hitting cages errrr overpass each year. xthumbsupx

oh yes, btw y'all loss a game too this year. Guess PVAM ran also.xeyebrowx xthumbsupx

Dam God and those SWAC teams...and hurricanes. xwhistlex

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2008, 08:39 PM
oh yes, btw y'all loss a game too this year. Guess PVAM ran also.xeyebrowx xthumbsupx

PVAM shut down their whole athletic operations. Southern did not back then -- had to get another SWAC loss in soccer. No surprise there...

PV did not run and there was only one thing stopping them from getting that game on -- transportation. Guess you don't read TSPN.

BgJag
September 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
PVAM shut down their whole athletic operations. Southern did not back then -- had to get another SWAC loss in soccer. No surprise there...

PV did not run and there was only one thing stopping them from getting that game on -- transportation. Guess you don't read TSPN.

So you are saying if they had transportation the game should have been played?

McNeese75
September 18th, 2008, 09:44 PM

One minor difference Jag, Cal Poly will come to Lake Charles in the future to make up the game and not play games with trying to get out of it due to the storm. Now, the school that used Katrina as an excuse to cancel a game with intentions of never playing it has recently stepped up to the plate so all it good in Katrinagate. xpeacex

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2008, 09:55 PM
So you are saying if they had transportation the game should have been played?

Well, the game would not have been played, but they made EVERY effort in case the game could have been played. PV and SHSU would've hit the field Sunday if they had transportation guaranteed and a field to play in...

Southern sat on their hands as we have beaten to death...

Sonic98
September 18th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Well, I think the change of game time did help more than the bands. Even when we play non-SWAC opponents, the bands do help with attendance. Some bands have been in situations like this or had other problems such as seatubg and decided not to come the next time the schools played. The attendance went down some and the fans from the non-SWAC school did write-in and call radio shows and the schools saying they think the schools should do what they need to do to make it so the bands can perform.

BgJag
September 18th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Well, the game would not have been played, but they made EVERY effort in case the game could have been played. PV and SHSU would've hit the field Sunday if they had transportation guaranteed and a field to play in...

Southern sat on their hands as we have beaten to death...

No, we think there's other things more important than a football game in times like these. Hope you never lose a love one or home in a disaster. I'm old enough to know whats important in life. Hope you live long enough to realize that too. As far as Southern not playing McNeese after this country worst natural disaster where over 1000 lives was loss and approx 80 percent of the city under water and approx 20 percents of our players and families was directed affected and and all you thinking about is a football. Like I said in the above post he don't like ugly.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2008, 07:12 AM
No, we think there's other things more important than a football game in times like these. Hope you never lose a love one or home in a disaster. I'm old enough to know whats important in life. Hope you live long enough to realize that too. As far as Southern not playing McNeese after this country worst natural disaster where over 1000 lives was loss and approx 80 percent of the city under water and approx 20 percents of our players and families was directed affected and and all you thinking about is a football. Like I said in the above post he don't like ugly.

Oh, what a standup comic you are! Do you realize that you are absolutely contradicting exactly what your university did? Didn't Southern send another one of their teams into competition during that same weekend? Was it soccer, volleyball? Can't recall...

I've been through both Katrina and Gustav in the last few years, when I was six weeks old, Alicia rocked Houston in the worst storm to hit that city, also dealt with Allison and to a lesser extent, Ike -- where my family remains without power. I lost my first job out of college due to Katrina, it was pretty devastating. It just amuses me that you are tooting SU's horn, when we've beaten to death that they (and you) contradicted themselves.

BgJag
September 19th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Didn't Southern send another one of their teams into competition during that same weekend? Was it soccer, volleyball? Can't recall...

Football and soccer, apples and oranges. And this is beaten to death because you and others keep bringing it up.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Football and soccer, apples and oranges. And this is beaten to death because you and others keep bringing it up.

How is it apples and oranges? They have individuals, both team members and staff, who had relatives in the New Orleans area. They have to travel and go through all the things that a football team does...the university is responsible for them...

All teams should be treated equally. Guess you were willing to throw the soccer team under the bus incase something tragic as you were willing to send them out into the world with no clue what was going to happen to SU while you held the football team out...

appfan2008
September 19th, 2008, 08:03 AM
stupid... the band should not take precedence over the fans and especially not the players!

and i am a former asu marching mountaineer!

BgJag
September 19th, 2008, 08:45 AM
How is it apples and oranges? They have individuals, both team members and staff, who had relatives in the New Orleans area. They have to travel and go through all the things that a football team does...the university is responsible for them...

All teams should be treated equally. Guess you were willing to throw the soccer team under the bus incase something tragic as you were willing to send them out into the world with no clue what was going to happen to SU while you held the football team out...

Majority of the soccer team is from out of state, none from the New Orleans area.

approx 20 percents of our players and families was directed affected read & comprehend.

I don't think you believe that, the logistics/fans are not the same. xnonox

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Majority of the soccer team is from out of state, none from the New Orleans area.

And? What does have to do with anything? The whole state was apparently impacted and those members of the SU soccer team were living in-state at the time. Didn't matter if they played compared to the football team?

read & comprehend. I don't think you believe that, the logistics/fans are not the same. xnonox

Logistics are the same outside of the numbers of athletes. Sure, a football team is larger, but you are still throwing one team out into the world of athletic competition and not doing the same with another...

Who cares about the fans? The game would've drew a nice crowd even without the Southern fans. McNeese fans do show up to their games, both home and away and do not inflate numbers...

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 19th, 2008, 01:04 PM
And? What does have to do with anything? The whole state was apparently impacted and those members of the SU soccer team were living in-state at the time. Didn't matter if they played compared to the football team?

Logistics are the same outside of the numbers of athletes. Sure, a football team is larger, but you are still throwing one team out into the world of athletic competition and not doing the same with another...

Who cares about the fans? The game would've drew a nice crowd even without the Southern fans. McNeese fans do show up to their games, both home and away and do not inflate numbers...

When has McNeese ever beat SU in attendence. When has SU ever inflated numbers. You are a sad sad sad. xsmhx

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 19th, 2008, 01:06 PM
One minor difference Jag, Cal Poly will come to Lake Charles in the future to make up the game and not play games with trying to get out of it due to the storm. Now, the school that used Katrina as an excuse to cancel a game with intentions of never playing it has recently stepped up to the plate so all it good in Katrinagate. xpeacex

SU's administration has always said the game was going to happen. Now the fans didn't want to play because of the remarks made after Katrina.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 19th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I actually was just about to say that maybe the earlier time is a good thing. It gives people more time to do things after the game and always gives people more time to get ready for after parties and such.

The day games SUck in the Swac. You and I both know OUR people don't like Day games. Most of our non alumni fan base usually are blue collar workers who mostly have weekend jobs and aren't able to attend the day games. I think the day games have affected jSU attendence numbers greatly.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2008, 04:12 PM
When has McNeese ever beat SU in attendence. When has SU ever inflated numbers. You are a sad sad sad. xsmhx

There's post about SU's inflated 'travel ego' all the time on TSPN...

And McNeese would've had a nice crowd with Southern or without. They seem to pack them in all the time...

BgJag
September 19th, 2008, 05:30 PM
And McNeese would've had a nice crowd with Southern or without. They seem to pack them in all the time...

By SLC standard, McNeese been carrying your conference. Never said anything negitive about their fans support. But I dare you to get anybody from Lake Charles to say our fans support and gaate wasn't a definding reason for them wanting to playing that game.

McNeese72
September 19th, 2008, 07:50 PM
But I dare you to get anybody from Lake Charles to say our fans support and gaate wasn't a definding reason for them wanting to playing that game.

Wrong. The game was supposed to be the back end of a home and home. We spent money to travel and play in Baton Rouge in 2004. We were supposed to recoup our expenses for that trip with the game in 2005. That's why most of the McNeese fans wanted the game to be rescheduled so that we could recoup the expenses that we had in 2004.

What pissed off most of the McNeese fans was the attitude of a lot of the Jag fans, who just blew rescheduling the game off and essentially told us "screw you". Most Jag fans couldn't see that Southern owed us the back half of the home and home.

But the Southern administration has done the right thing and has rescheduled the game so most of us, McNeese fans, are happy with it. But the attitude of a lot of the Southern fans will not be forgotten.

Doc

McNeese75
September 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM
SU's administration has always said the game was going to happen. Now the fans didn't want to play because of the remarks made after Katrina.

Got a link for that Admin statement? Also, since when do the fans control the damn football schedule??? xsmhx

The only reason I jumped back on this dead horse is your pathetic comments inferring McNeese was being punished from the man above because of Katrinagate.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2008, 09:10 PM
But the Southern administration has done the right thing and has rescheduled the game so most of us, McNeese fans, are happy with it.

Which says alot because we all know about their AD and his history. Not the brightest guy...

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 20th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Which says alot because we all know about their AD and his history. Not the brightest guy...

@ SU the AD doesn't control shat.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 20th, 2008, 08:10 AM

SAD SAD SAD. They are joking and are jealous. Everybodys biggest home attended game is SU, been that way for years. Check the stats for yourself. SU owns attendence records @ Northwestern, Nicholls, Alcorn, Famu, PV, Texas Southern, Bama St, and AAMU.

ChubbyCherub
September 20th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Do people come for the football or the band, I know at winston-salem & NC A&T they just come for the band

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 20th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Do people come for the football or the band, I know at winston-salem & NC A&T they just come for the band
IN HBCU games the band adds to the atmposhere. Fans come for both. I couldn't imagine a SU game without THE HUMANJUKEBOX.

ChubbyCherub
September 20th, 2008, 09:20 AM
i guess it has to do with the fact that WSSU and NCA&T are just not that good. I like the half time shows they put on, but the whole band battle thing during the game gets on my nerves not because of the music (now dont get me wrong because all schools play songs intermittently during the game and i hate that too, unless its a fight song after the score) but i just hate the fact that the band feels they have to play all the time, it just seemes like it was a competition of who could play they most familiar song. i guess i just hate marching bands in general because most pic some arbitrary music and do the same thing week after week for half time.

slostang
September 20th, 2008, 09:22 AM

As long as the pay to get in who cares. The money is still green and they get exposed to some great football. Win, win situation.

slostang
September 20th, 2008, 09:25 AM

TT, give it a rest already. Obviously Northwestern State did not have a problem with it so why should you. Northwestern State does not sell out their games at the present so if they move the game two hours and they get 2,000 more fans to come see the band they make more money. I just can not see why you should be so up in arms about it. They are big boys at Northwestern State and perfectly capable of making their own choices.

ChubbyCherub
September 20th, 2008, 09:25 AM
As long as the pay to get in who cares. The money is still green and they get exposed to some great football. Win, win situation.

i was not knockin SU football they are acually pretty good it was a stab at the atrocities that are WSSU and NC A&T

slostang
September 20th, 2008, 09:37 AM
i was not knockin SU football they are acually pretty good it was a stab at the atrocities that are WSSU and NC A&T

Got you, but it only make my above comment even more on point. People are paying to watch a bad football game to see the bands. Sounds like good marketing to me. No band, no money at the gate.

ChubbyCherub
September 20th, 2008, 10:45 AM
i guess you are right looking at it that way...