PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh @ Villanova Gamethread

LehighFan11
September 7th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Ok the next year of this emerging rivalry is here. Two years ago Lehigh won in a shootout @ Nova and last year Nova won at Lehigh. Can someone finally defend homefield advantage? Does anyone know the TV coverage for this game?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Very intriguing game for Lehigh. Should be a good indication as to where they stand. If they're on their way back they'll battle the Cats for 60 minutes on the road. I don't think Lehigh has to win this game but they do need to show they can go toe to toe with a Top 25 team.

LehighFan11
September 7th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Yea its going to be a great test for Lehigh. I think Villanova has a very good chance for an atlarge bid this year. I expect Lehigh to be competitive but I'm not sure Lehigh has the offense to win. I'm interested to see how Lehigh's young corners (cibbs and kennedy) can do vs. Nova's passing attack.

Anovafan
September 8th, 2008, 10:29 AM
This will be a good test for both sides. I am not sure how to size up Lehigh right now, are they a middle of the road Patriot team or back to the top of the pack? I think it will be a close game in the first half and then Nova will pull away. Based on what I have seen from Nova, I predict a 10-14 point win for the Cats. Barring a rash of injuries, Nova should be a contender for a playoff bid this year.

carney2
September 8th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure where this "big game" mind set comes from on the Lehigh side. They could get blown out (early in the year against a superior team) and still be a factor in the Patriot League. They could play tough and still go 2-4 again in the League. A QB making his second start (his first against a real defense), young corners, some OL questions, and a running game that really has yet to prove itself - that's a lot. Expecting to be able to read all of these tea leaves in week 2 is not rational. At best this is a learning/growing experience, and one should be careful not to read too much into it.

Pard94
September 8th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure where this "big game" scenario comes from on the Lehigh side. They could get blown out (early in the year against a superior team) and still be a factor in the Patriot League. They could play tough and still go 2-4 again in the League. A QB making his second start, young corners, some OL questions, and a running game that really has yet to prove itself - that's a lot. Expecting to be able to read all of these tea leaves in week 2 is not rational. At best this is a learning/growing experience, and one should be careful not to read too much into it.

Carney, have you learned nothing in the last couple of weeks? Lehigh is not concerned about performing well in the league. That is a given. And if by some fluke they should stumble in the league it is only because they will have suffered a mental lapse or some other random phenomenon that will amount to the Mountain Hawks beating themselves but in no way should be conceived as any sort of vulnerablity in their god-granted and indisputable role of "Masters of Patriot League". It's how they do against the out of conference schedule that counts.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Carney, have you learned nothing in the last couple of weeks? Lehigh is not concerned about performing well in the league. That is a given. And if by some fluke they should stumble in the league it is only because they will have suffered a mental lapse or some other random phenomenon that will amount to the Mountain Hawks beating themselves but in no way should be conceived as any sort of vulnerablity in their god-granted and indisputable role of "Masters of Patriot League". It's how they do against the out of conference schedule that counts.

LOL...WHAT?!?!

DSUrocks07
September 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM

lolwut? xlolx

http://www.esreality.com/files/placeimages/2007/55173-lolwut.jpg

carney2
September 8th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Carney, have you learned nothing in the last couple of weeks?

Try years. Decades.

LehighFan11
September 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM

I'm really not sure what to make of this post. Obviously some shot at Lehigh fans, which is fine. I'm not sure how you can say we don't care about league play when our number 1 goal year in year out is to beat a patriot league team (Lafayette of course). Of course, 10 years ago when Lehigh dominated the patriot league their mindset began to extend to a national level. However, I would like the respect from you to recognize that we don't think that way anymore. We all know Lehigh is NOT getting any type of national recognition this year. Lehigh does take pride in playing well out of conference, especially vs. the CAA. You can make fun of us all you want for caring about representing the PL the best we can. No one out of conference gives us any respect for in conference wins so we have to prove it out of the conference.

ngineer
September 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM

Still can't shake that complex even after four years...?;) :D

ngineer
September 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Lehigh has always looked forward to playing CAA teams. I remember Whitehead always getting us up for Delaware. We always liked to 'play up' when possible. You only get the real measure of oneself when you play go up against the best. 'Nova certainly appears to have more talent and certainly played well against West Virginia. Depth is usually the bugaboo and hopefully a couple our injuries last week will be healed. I'm hoping our D will keep this think close, like two years ago, that allowed the Offense and Special Teams make some big plays later on that pulled off the upset. I agree, we should be considered 10-14 point underdogs, but I also think we can pull this out if we play 'up'.

Hoyadestroya85
September 8th, 2008, 11:24 PM
as much as i want a blowout.. it will be a close game.. i have a lot of respect for lehigh... i have a feeling the cats will be motivated though

ngineer
September 9th, 2008, 11:31 AM
as much as i want a blowout.. it will be a close game.. i have a lot of respect for lehigh... i have a feeling the cats will be motivated though

Yes, I was hoping they might view us as a 'breather' between WVa and Penn, but the week off probably helped Talley have them focus, and remind them of what happened two years ago in their house. I'm hoping our D can keep it close so that we are in striking range that a turnover or break can be turned into points.

Pard94
September 9th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I'm really not sure what to make of this post. Obviously some shot at Lehigh fans, which is fine. I'm not sure how you can say we don't care about league play when our number 1 goal year in year out is to beat a patriot league team (Lafayette of course). Of course, 10 years ago when Lehigh dominated the patriot league their mindset began to extend to a national level. However, I would like the respect from you to recognize that we don't think that way anymore. We all know Lehigh is NOT getting any type of national recognition this year. Lehigh does take pride in playing well out of conference, especially vs. the CAA. You can make fun of us all you want for caring about representing the PL the best we can. No one out of conference gives us any respect for in conference wins so we have to prove it out of the conference.

I'm just assumed league play has become passe' for the mighty Mountain Hawks. At least that is the impression one gets after reading LFN's "analysis" of Lafayette's offseason. The one where he dedicates a good portion of the article talking about Lehigh's tremendous post-season record has Lehigh fans looking beyond league play and, more specifically, success against Lafayette. Equally important is his implied observation that Lafayette fans seem to have not made that evolutionary leap yet. We're still quite content with a Lehigh victory and that is our only true measure of success. There is a little bit of "analysis" thrown in for good measure. It's largely inaccurate and wrong...but it's in there.

Pard94
September 9th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Still can't shake that complex even after four years...?;) :D

As long as LFN is the mouthpiece of the Mountain Hawks...the complex lives. My complex is simply a reaction to Lehigh's complex.

Hoyadestroya85
September 9th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Villanova 38, Lehigh 20

LUHawker
September 9th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I'm just assumed league play has become passe' for the mighty Mountain Hawks. At least that is the impression one gets after reading LFN's "analysis" of Lafayette's offseason. The one where he dedicates a good portion of the article talking about Lehigh's tremendous post-season record has Lehigh fans looking beyond league play and, more specifically, success against Lafayette. Equally important is his implied observation that Lafayette fans seem to have not made that evolutionary leap yet. We're still quite content with a Lehigh victory and that is our only true measure of success. There is a little bit of "analysis" thrown in for good measure. It's largely inaccurate and wrong...but it's in there.

You LC guys realize, right, that it's a blog dedicated to LEHIGH football.

Amazingly, even after 4 straight victories, LC is still obsessed with Lehigh. You really must love us. xsmiley_wix

Pard94
September 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Amazingly, even after 4 straight victories, LC is still obsessed with Lehigh. You really must love us. xsmiley_wix

Indeed it is but when the blogger comes over to a website dedicated to LAFAYETTE football, as well as websites dedicated to FCS football and invites all to read his analysis on LAFAYETTE'S offseason I think he renders his opinions fair game.

Whatever...I'm done with this. Lehigh fan's are free to aspire to whatever they'd like. Just as I am free to maintain my self-appointed role as keeper off the message that Lehigh hasn't done "diddley-poo" (to quote Jim Mora) since 2004.

LUHawker
September 9th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Just as I am free to maintain my self-appointed role as keeper off the message that Lehigh hasn't done "diddley-poo" (to quote Jim Mora) since 2004.

Seriously, why do you let it get to you? We Lehigh folks don't obsess over Lafayette (and maybe therein is the rub).

Anovafan
September 9th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I love how a Lehigh-Villanova game thread devolves into a Lafayette-Lehigh grudge match. We can't keep you guys separated!

LehighFan11
September 9th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I love how a Lehigh-Villanova game thread devolves into a Lafayette-Lehigh grudge match. We can't keep you guys separated!

Haha iknow...im focused on the Lehigh vs Nova game. Nova guys, what is your take on the Nova Wrs vs. Lehigh Cbs. We start two sophomore corners that made their first start last weekend. Both are about 5 10-11.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2008, 06:22 PM

In all honesty this game means ALMOST as much as Lafayette. After all i am an Owl.xarguex :p

carney2
September 9th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Well, Mr. 94, you do know how to stir it up. I am thankful however, that your attention has been diverted from me.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I just went over the game notes for both teams and one thing i noticed is Lehigh is bigger this year than last and especially 2 years ago. Size wise they match up pretty good with 'Nova. I do believe Lehigh will have some opportunities in the passing game if Clark can deliver. Lehigh needs its' own secondary to step up. They've been picked apart in the past and should they be leaky Sat it could spell trouble. I don't see either team running the ball all that well. Lehigh's front 7 will be as good as any one 'Nova sees in the CAA.

ngineer
September 9th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I note on the 'two deep' that Campbell is listed as McGowan's backup. Haven't heard details, but seems like Walker won't be available to relieve McGowan or 'change things up'. Campbell runs hard, but he doesn't have the moves Walker does.
Still, key will be our front 7 putting good pressure and contain on Young. Can't expect the young corners to stay with VU's WR's all day. If we can keep VU at 24 or below, we have a good shot.

Hoyadestroya85
September 9th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I just went over the game notes for both teams and one thing i noticed is Lehigh is bigger this year than last and especially 2 years ago. Size wise they match up pretty good with 'Nova. I do believe Lehigh will have some opportunities in the passing game if Clark can deliver. Lehigh needs its' own secondary to step up. They've been picked apart in the past and should they be leaky Sat it could spell trouble. I don't see either team running the ball all that well. Lehigh's front 7 will be as good as any one 'Nova sees in the CAA.

Villanova's defense is predicated on speed, and our offense is very versatile.. so that isn't a problem.. i think UD will have a better front 7 than Lehigh and maybe a few other teams as well.. Here's to a good battle though

ngineer
September 9th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Villanova's defense is predicated on speed, and our offense is very versatile.. so that isn't a problem.. i think UD will have a better front 7 than Lehigh and maybe a few other teams as well.. Here's to a good battle though

Yes, I saw that too versus WVA...I can only hope the OC has cooked up some misdirection stuff and some schemes that catch the Wildcats being 'too' aggressive. I also hope McGowan's momentum from last week carries forward. Ball control in keeping the ball out of VU's hands as much as possible will be needed.

NovaWildcat
September 10th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I'm not sure Lehigh will be able to handle Antwon Young...WVU surely couldn't. Now that Ball has stepped up as a go-to back, I think the 'Cats are going to put up A LOT of points on the board.

I haven't seen Lehigh play, so it would be unfair to make a judgement on their match up.

letsgopards04
September 10th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Maybe when you have years like the late '90s and early '00s when your team is going to be awful and the only way to gain some respectability is to beat Lehigh, you will become 'obsessed' with Lafayette as we are with winning the game.

letsgopards04
September 10th, 2008, 07:25 AM

No sir! That's what you get after 143 games.xrotatehx

Pard94
September 10th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Well, Mr. 94, you do know how to stir it up. I am thankful however, that your attention has been diverted from me.

I've always got an eye on you Carney. xsmiley_wix

LUHawker
September 10th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Maybe when you have years like the late '90s and early '00s when your team is going to be awful and the only way to gain some respectability is to beat Lehigh, you will become 'obsessed' with Lafayette as we are with winning the game.

I can fully appreciate that, but you guys seem to be obsessed with Lehigh throughout the season, not just for THE GAME.

Pard94
September 10th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Seriously, why do you let it get to you? We Lehigh folks don't obsess over Lafayette (and maybe therein is the rub).

Yeah, tell that to Lembo and very likey Coen while he's packing his bags after another Lafayette loss this year. Therein lies the rub my friend. it's one thing to say you guys don't obsess over Lafayette on these boards...meanwhile you have come very close to torching your own program in no small part due to your lack of success against us. I speak the truth while you guys keep whistling past the graveyardxwhistlex .

Pard94
September 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I can fully appreciate that, but you guys seem to be obsessed with Lehigh throughout the season, not just for THE GAME.

By all means...maintain your priorities just as they are (or at least as you would have us believe they are). We'll continue to have this discussion for the next 4 years as Lafayette continues to widen win/loss gap between us.

letsgopards04
September 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
By all means...maintain your priorities just as they are (or at least as you would have us believe they are). We'll continue to have this discussion for the next 4 years as Lafayette continues to widen win/loss gap between us.

Here here although at times I thought that Tavani maybe focused too much on Lehigh so I like the change in the locker room with the clock counting down to the next game and then the clock counting down to Lehigh. It keeps the players focused on that week's game while keeping Lehigh in the back of their mind's.

carney2
September 10th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I thought that Tavani maybe focused too much on Lehigh

NEVER! NOT EVER! NOT POSSIBLE!

Get your priorities straight, 04.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Yeah, tell that to Lembo and very likey Coen while he's packing his bags after another Lafayette loss this year. Therein lies the rub my friend. it's one thing to say you guys don't obsess over Lafayette on these boards...meanwhile you have come very close to torching your own program in no small part due to your lack of success against us. I speak the truth while you guys keep whistling past the graveyardxwhistlex .

I don't think it's "likely" that Coen is gone after this year after Lafayette beats Lehigh. I certaintly don't think it's "likely" Lafayette is going to beat Lehigh for the 5 straight times. Rivalries go in cycles and and even 'Pard fans know Lehigh will win again. The two teams were pretty equal last year and Lafayette got a close win. Right now i'd say Lafayette would be a favorite only because it's in Easton. I think Lehigh and Lafayette win both 6-4, 7-3 heading into 144.

jstclmet
September 10th, 2008, 11:47 AM

You're kidding riiight???

There are these two teams in the CAA North called UMASS & Maine. They might tend to disagree with you.

There are these teams in the CAA South called RICHMOND, DELAWARE & TOWSON that tend to be a bit defensive minded, and usually tote a little size of their own. JMU may not be the biggest defensively, the come with much athleticsim and a lot of speed.

"LEHIGH'S FRONT 7 WILL BE AS GOOD AS ANY ONE NOVA SEES IN THE CAA". Wow, I can't even type that without wiping tears of laughter from my eyes xlolx xlmaox

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2008, 11:53 AM
"LEHIGH'S FRONT 7 WILL BE AS GOOD AS ANY ONE NOVA SEES IN THE CAA". Wow, I can't even type that without wiping tears of laughter from my eyes xlolx xlmaox

Um, right, Lehigh's front seven isn't any good... yeah, that's right... we're little Lehigh and we don't stand a chance... Um... we stink... ;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM

There are these two teams in the CAA North called UMASS & Maine. They might tend to disagree with you.

There are these teams in the CAA South called RICHMOND, DELAWARE & TOWSON that tend to be a bit defensive minded, and usually tote a little size of their own. JMU may not be the biggest defensively, the come with much athleticsim and a lot of speed.

LOL, you need to do your research before you speaks. You do realize there's 2 All-Americans included in that front 7. No matter if you'd like to laugh or not it's a very good group.

Pard94
September 10th, 2008, 12:16 PM
LOL, you need to do your research before you speaks. You do realize there's 2 All-Americans included in that front 7. No matter if you'd like to laugh or not it's a very good group.

I suspect that's the last you'll hear from jstclmet.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM
It's almost like the clock has been turned back 8-9 years again, which i actually kind of like. Everyone seems to have written Lehigh off as if they're incapable of returning to form let alone play with a team they've played well against the last few years. I'm starting to enjoy the underdog role again. It seems like the Lehigh fans are starting to get a little chip on their shoulder too like old times.

jstclmet
September 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM

If you had said LU's front 7 could match the middle of the CAA, many (at least from a CAA perspective) could probably have accepted same. But to suggest, that LU's front 7 would be the best in the CAA (or at least the 8 teams that Nova plays (which includes UD, UR, TU, JMU, W&M, UNH, NU & URI)), well, that's just outright funny xlolx .

I'm not saying that LU's not a good team. I just find it tough to see them as the CAA leader defensively. Here's a question, is LU perceived as the defensive leader in the PL??? I missed how the PL coaches picked LU to finish this year.

LehighFan11
September 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM
If you had said LU's front 7 could match the middle of the CAA, many (at least from a CAA perspective) could probably have accepted same. But to suggest, that LU's front 7 would be the best in the CAA (or at least the 8 teams that Nova plays (which includes UD, UR, TU, JMU, W&M, UNH, NU & URI)), well, that's just outright funny xlolx .

I'm not saying that LU's not a good team. I just find it tough to see them as the CAA leader defensively. Here's a question, is LU perceived as the defensive leader in the PL??? I missed how the PL coaches picked LU to finish this year.

Another inflated view of their conference^^^. Lafayette's and Lehigh's defenses matchup very well vs. the CAA defenses. I'm not claiming anything about our offense however.

Pard94
September 10th, 2008, 02:12 PM

All American is All American. If any of those other teams you mentioned have 2 or more All Americans on their O-line well then they are equal or better. If they don't...they aren't. Pretty simple really.

Hoyadestroya85
September 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM
let me change the score to 31-20 to take into account lehigh's fabulous front 7 xlolx

Doc QB
September 10th, 2008, 02:44 PM

Maybe we should pay a little more attention to that weekend in November, ALL YEAR, given the last four have not gone our way, and get a little angry about it. I think Tavani has those guys in a great mindset.

They only "complex" they have over us, is actually their new football complex...damn, that thing is sweet. Given the Eagles spend their summers in Bethlehem, you would think we would have something a little nicer, although it is a far cry from the early 90s when I roamed the varsity house.

And, to continue thread hijacking, can we get some better unis? Those gold pants make us look slow, and the stripes on the jerseys make everyone look like their should pads are too big. There has got to be a way to spice up brown and white (ala Wyoming, who use to have kinda cool browns).

Pard94
September 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM
let me change the score to 31-20 to take into account lehigh's fabulous front 7 xlolx

One thing Lehigh and Nova have in common...their fans are almost indistinguishable when it comes to sheer arrogance. God I can only imagine how insufferable it would be to be stuck at a "stadium" (and I use the word loosely when it comes to Viallanova's facilities) full of Lehigh and Nova fans. That's one of the many reasons why Nova is my second least favorite school. That and Andy Talley is a dink.

TheValleyRaider
September 10th, 2008, 02:53 PM
We got Lehigh-Villanova stuff, Lehigh-Lafayette, a little Patriot League-CAA stuff flying around

Oh lordy this is fun to watch xpopcornx

Pard94
September 10th, 2008, 02:56 PM
We got Lehigh-Villanova stuff, Lehigh-Lafayette, a little Patriot League-CAA stuff flying around

Oh lordy this is fun to watch xpopcornx

Valley Raider...you may not know Andy Talley too well. Trust me...he's a dink. xnodx

TheValleyRaider
September 10th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Valley Raider...you may not know Andy Talley too well. Trust me...he's a dink. xnodx

If half of what I've heard is true... xnodx

I'm just sitting back, enjoying the poo-flinging here

So far it's been pretty quiet on the Furman-Colgate front

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2008, 03:19 PM
And, to continue thread hijacking, can we get some better unis? Those gold pants make us look slow, and the stripes on the jerseys make everyone look like their should pads are too big. There has got to be a way to spice up brown and white (ala Wyoming, who use to have kinda cool browns).

Doc, I couldn't agree more on the Uni's. I don't mind the pants, I'd just like to see a return to the "classic" jersey (worn by Abdul Byron in my av, there) and just get rid of the shoulder lines. The shoulder lines are more modern, but IMO they do nothing for the Brown & White jersey. It's like having lines on Notre Dame.

Hoyadestroya85
September 10th, 2008, 03:20 PM
One thing Lehigh and Nova have in common...their fans are almost indistinguishable when it comes to sheer arrogance. God I can only imagine how insufferable it would be to be stuck at a "stadium" (and I use the word loosely when it comes to Viallanova's facilities) full of Lehigh and Nova fans. That's one of the many reasons why Nova is my second least favorite school. That and Andy Talley is a dink.
you're just upset because lafayette is in the middle of nowhere (i have no problems with lafayette, i have plenty of family that has gone there) and if dink means great football coach.. sure he is
Start talking when your school gets an athletic program

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2008, 03:23 PM
So far it's been pretty quiet on the Furman-Colgate front

That's because nobody hates Colgate :D

TheValleyRaider
September 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM
That's because nobody hates Colgate :D

Really?

Not even for this:

http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/images/gen/2006/8/24/Mascot%20004.JPG

xconfusedx xlolx

Hoyadestroya85
September 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
i'm more of a fan of crest

LehighFan11
September 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Pard94 has alot of balls or not alot of brains...i'll leave the choice up to you

carney2
September 10th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Pard94 has alot of balls or not alot of brains...i'll leave the choice up to you

He's one of my guys and I love him dearly. Still he do enjoy a good altercation with a Patriot Leaguer - especially a ChickenSquawk. Back in the day on College Hill we had a name for folks of his inclination. Mr. Moderator would ban me if I used it, but essentially it means someone who takes a stick and pokes it in the toilet to keep the waters cloudy.

TheValleyRaider
September 10th, 2008, 08:31 PM
i'm more of a fan of crest

Yeah, well, **** you
xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xthumbsdownx xthumbsdownx xthumbsdownx xthumbsdownx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xanim_chaix xanim_chaix xanim_chaix xanim_chaix xpissedx xpissedx xpissedx xpissedx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx xasswhipx

:p

ngineer
September 10th, 2008, 10:51 PM

Your own coach has said that Lehigh's front 7 on defense could be one of the best he'll see this year...xcoffeex

ngineer
September 10th, 2008, 10:54 PM

Lehigh's preseason ranking is based in large part on an untested sophomore QB, 3 new sophomore OL's and a receiving corps that, last year, had the dropsies. I would consider our defensive front 7 to be on equal footing with any team in the CAA.

ngineer
September 10th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Maybe we should pay a little more attention to that weekend in November, ALL YEAR, given the last four have not gone our way, and get a little angry about it. I think Tavani has those guys in a great mindset.

They only "complex" they have over us, is actually their new football complex...damn, that thing is sweet. Given the Eagles spend their summers in Bethlehem, you would think we would have something a little nicer, although it is a far cry from the early 90s when I roamed the varsity house.

Back in the 80's we had some stripes on the pants as well as the helmets--almost a 49er look, with a brown oval and white interlocking "LU" within. I also prefer the upper arm stripes to the shoulders. But back in my day it was just Brown and White...the gold didn't come into vogue until around 1980 or so.

ngineer
September 10th, 2008, 11:00 PM

On that we can agree.;)

Hoyadestroya85
September 10th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Your own coach has said that Lehigh's front 7 on defense could be one of the best he'll see this year...xcoffeex

can you sleep at night after issuing such slander?
:p

letsgopards04
September 11th, 2008, 07:05 AM
NEVER! NOT EVER! NOT POSSIBLE!

Get your priorities straight, 04.

Mea Culpa. I just mean that I would get the impression that everyone is focused on Lehigh and we barely get by Georgetown (no offense intended).

Pard94
September 11th, 2008, 07:19 AM

Well, I graduated from Lafayette so you know its not a "brains" issue :) .

Pard94
September 11th, 2008, 07:22 AM
He's one of my guys and I love him dearly. Still he do enjoy a good altercation with a Patriot Leaguer - especially a ChickenSquawk. Back in the day on College Hill we had a name for folks of his inclination. Mr. Moderator would ban me if I used it, but essentially it means someone who takes a stick and pokes it in the toilet to keep the waters cloudy.

Carney my friend, I'm not sure what you guys had to do to keep the outhouses working back in your day but I assure you I want no part of that. I just think we all need to take a healthy step away from political correctness and get back to good old fashioned rival bashing. I hate Lehigh and I hate Villanova and I am not afraid to say it!

carney2
September 11th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Carney my friend, I'm not sure what you guys had to do to keep the outhouses working back in your day but I assure you I want no part of that. I just think we all need to take a healthy step away from political correctness and get back to good old fashioned rival bashing. I hate Lehigh and I hate Villanova and I am not afraid to say it!

I don't hate schools or football programs. It's people I can't stand.xsmiley_wix

Pard94
September 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I don't hate schools or football programs. It's people I can't stand.xsmiley_wix

Okay then..I hate all people associated with Lehigh and Villanova. And when I say "hate" I am referring to "my team is better than your team" hate...not "a pox upon your family" hate.

Hoyadestroya85
September 11th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Okay then..I hate all people associated with Lehigh and Villanova. And when I say "hate" I am referring to "my team is better than your team" hate...not "a pox upon your family" hate.

Fran O'Hanlon?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2008, 10:25 AM
71 replies... and we're two days away from gameday. And now we've got Pard94 and carney2 sniping at each other. Life is good.

xpopcornx

letsgopards04
September 11th, 2008, 10:36 AM
71 replies... and we're two days away from gameday. And now we've got Pard94 and carney2 sniping at each other. Life is good.

xpopcornx

I think we need an intervention. Everyone sit in a circle and sing Kum ba ya(sp).

Anovafan
September 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM
This thread exploded since I was last here, some pretty good stuff! As far as the front 7 for LU, from what I know, they would be on par with the better teams in the CAA. Scheme has a lot to do with it, LU runs multiple looks and are difficult to get a handle on. If we want to talk defenses, Nova has one of the best in the CAA, so even with 2 LU All-Americans, I would stack up Nova's D against LU or any other team in the country. I'm looking forward to watching this game and will be there on Sat. LU-VU has always been close and a good battle. I am glad the schools finally got together with scheduling.

carney2
September 11th, 2008, 11:19 AM
now we've got Pard94 and carney2 sniping at each other.

A given. A constant. The Curmudgeon vs. The S _ _ t Stirrer in a perpetual steel cage match to the death.

This is tame. A virtual love fest. See us up close and personal on the Lafayette board.

Pard94
September 11th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Fran O'Hanlon?

Nah...Fran saw the error of his ways and repented. Hell, my own brother attended Villanova for two years before he had a similar conversion. I'm not that hard-hearted.

LUHawker
September 11th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Here is a link to an audio of Andy Talley talking about this week's game. First time I've heard Talley even utter the slightest amount of respect for Lehigh.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/villanova/28157489.html

Pard94
September 11th, 2008, 11:27 AM
A given. A constant. The Curmudgeon vs. The S _ _ t Stirrer in a perpetual steel cage match to the death.

This is tame. A virtual love fest. See us up close and personal on the Lafayette board.

My first interaction with Carney was ripping him on the Lehigh board because he was making some sort of concession that Lehigh may have some sort of slim, barely perceptible advantage in some insignificant area (as if that were possible). On the Lehigh board he was doing this! He was like the Dixie Chicks ripping America on a European stage! I remember thinking...who the hell is this guy? Clearly he needed to be set straight on the rules of enagement. It's been a love/hate relationship ever since. We really should seek eachother this year at The Game, Carney. I have a mental image of you (think Gollum from Lord of the Rings)...I'm dying to see how close I am.

Anyway...without further ado...here is my pick for this game...

Villanova 38
Lehigh 21

Pard94
September 11th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Here is a link to an audio of Andy Talley talking about this week's game. First time I've heard Talley even utter the slightest amount of respect for Lehigh.

Does he, at any point, admit that he's a dink?

Go...gate
September 11th, 2008, 11:32 AM

All I know is that he hates the Patriot League and has always looked down on us, which I don't think is representative of Villanova (all the 'Nova grads I know seem very classy). Villanova may win the game, but we play some good football in the PL.

BTW to 'Nova fans: I was happy to see that Howard Porter's assailant/murderer got what was coming to him. Porter's death was a tragedy. I still marvel at his talent in the 1971 NCAA tourney and it was encouraging that he was getting his life back together after some hard times.

Anovafan
September 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Does he, at any point, admit that he's a dink?

Don't get me started on Tavani. His comments after that Richmond win on tv were enough to make him Dink of the Year.

Franks Tanks
September 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Don't get me started on Tavani. His comments after that Richmond win on tv were enough to make him Dink of the Year.

Frank is well known for speaking before he thinks. Just do what I always did. Just let your mind go and this about something else as he is goin through one of his 10 minute long rants where he talks in a circle.xlolx

Anovafan
September 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Frank is well known for speaking before he thinks. Just do what I always did. Just let your mind go and this about something else as he is goin through one of his 10 minute long rants where he talks in a circle.xlolx

I know this is a Lehigh thread, but I'd love to see Nova schedule Lafayette in the coming years, maybe when the Lehigh or Penn deal is done. The pards seem to be feeling mighty full of themselves lately and it could develop into a good local rivalry.

Franks Tanks
September 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I know this is a Lehigh thread, but I'd love to see Nova schedule Lafayette in the coming years, maybe when the Lehigh or Penn deal is done. The pards seem to be feeling mighty full of themselves lately and it could develop into a good local rivalry.

I would be all for it. The Pards need some more CAA teams on the slate.

Pard94
September 11th, 2008, 02:05 PM

I'd love to see it as well. We can show you what a real football facility is supposed to look like. We've grown tired of beating up on Richmond anyway.

Good god...I'm starting to sound like a Lehigh fan.xeekx

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM

No chance. You're not an Ivy League team. That's all the Lafayette brass want to play out-of-conference :p

LUHawker
September 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Does LC have any CAA teams on the published future schedules?

Anovafan
September 11th, 2008, 02:38 PM

I will mention it to some higher ups. See if there are any plans in the works.

Franks Tanks
September 11th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Does LC have any CAA teams on the published future schedules?

I dont believe so, but Frank has made some comments recently that he wants to schedule these games. We have a home and home with Liberty the next two years, but thats it outside of the Ivies and freakin Marist.

Franks Tanks
September 11th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I will mention it to some higher ups. See if there are any plans in the works.

Have your people call our people. Or have your people call Carney-- I hear he has lots of pull.

Anovafan
September 11th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I dont believe so, but Frank has made some comments recently that he wants to schedule these games. We have a home and home with Liberty the next two years, but thats it outside of the Ivies and freakin Marist.

Yeah, gotta get rid of Liberty and Marist, they do nothing for the fan base or promoting Patriot League football. Nova would be a much better fit.

Franks Tanks
September 11th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Yeah, gotta get rid of Liberty and Marist, they do nothing for the fan base or promoting Patriot League football. Nova would be a much better fit.

I would say 95% of Lafayette fans, players, and coaches share this view-- yet we cant seem to make it happen.

Hoyadestroya85
September 11th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I would say 95% of Lafayette fans, players, and coaches share this view-- yet we cant seem to make it happen.

because Villanova thinks that having a non scholarship football team would make the team even more "second class"
even though the athletic department does it to the team on their own by not promoting it

Go...gate
September 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM

Villanova-Colgate would also be nice from time to time. :)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Question for 'Nova fans - do they have a "Kid's Zone" there with inflatables? I say this because I'm trying to convince my wife and son to go to the game, and I need a "hook".

Anovafan
September 11th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Question for 'Nova fans - do they have a "Kid's Zone" there with inflatables? I say this because I'm trying to convince my wife and son to go to the game, and I need a "hook".

They have in the past behind the stadium, with the band and face-painting and the Wildcat running around. Since this is the first game of the year, I can't confirm though.

Hoyadestroya85
September 11th, 2008, 04:37 PM

they should have something of that nature.. by the way.. when's the game preview coming out?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2008, 05:05 PM
they should have something of that nature.. by the way.. when's the game preview coming out?

Later tonight... probably not that much longer (like 9PM). I have a TON of stuff to finish writing. I am very glad it's not a Thursday 12:00PM deadline today! :D

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Caulson of TSN picked Villanova 24-20 which seems reasonable. I still can't get over some of those picking 'Nova by 28+.

Hoyadestroya85
September 11th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Caulson of TSN picked Villanova 24-20 which seems reasonable. I still can't get over some of those picking 'Nova by 28+.

of course.. with Lehigh's Dominant front 7 xlolx xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Anovafan
September 11th, 2008, 06:38 PM
because Villanova thinks that having a non scholarship football team would make the team even more "second class"
even though the athletic department does it to the team on their own by not promoting it

My comment was about scheduling, not about Nova joining the Patriot league. I would love to see a rotation of Lafayette, Lehigh, Penn, Temple, maybe even Bucknell and Colgate rotate through Nova's schedule. Nova had Colgate for a few years but then no more. I like the CAA a lot, except for that difficult thing about making the playoffs.

LehighFan11
September 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM

Well the spread is 11 and I think that is right on.

LUHawker
September 11th, 2008, 08:14 PM
of course.. with Lehigh's Dominant front 7 xlolx xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

No one used the word "dominant".

Here is the quote "LEHIGH'S FRONT 7 WILL BE AS GOOD AS ANY ONE NOVA SEES IN THE CAA"

Notice how it doesn't say "dominant" or even better, simply "as good as"

Since you have both a reading and a recall problem, let me help you out.

Dominant means overarching superiority, while the phrase "as good as" is an example of comparative construction in a sentence.

Many, but not all, Nova folks have this arrogance of looking down your noses at Lehigh and the PL. No one is claiming that Lehigh is better and I don't think I've seen a single poster predicting a Lehigh victory, so I think your ridicule of the comment is over-the-top and unprovoked.

While I don't predict an LU victory, remember that the last time Lehigh descended on the Main Line, they left with the W and the other two games were tight (22-16 in 2004 and 30-20 in 07). A win for VU is not a foregone conclusion.

carney2
September 11th, 2008, 08:22 PM
A perfect day:

Lehigh wins

and

Andy Talley gets fired on the sideline at the end of the game.

Oh, to dream.

LUHawker
September 11th, 2008, 09:00 PM
A perfect day:

Lehigh wins

I am going to save this quote and take it out of context come November! :D :D

Hoyadestroya85
September 11th, 2008, 09:09 PM
No one used the word "dominant".

Here is the quote "LEHIGH'S FRONT 7 WILL BE AS GOOD AS ANY ONE NOVA SEES IN THE CAA"

Notice how it doesn't say "dominant" or even better, simply "as good as"

Since you have both a reading and a recall problem, let me help you out.

Dominant means overarching superiority, while the phrase "as good as" is an example of comparative construction in a sentence.

Many, but not all, Nova folks have this arrogance of looking down your noses at Lehigh and the PL. No one is claiming that Lehigh is better and I don't think I've seen a single poster predicting a Lehigh victory, so I think your ridicule of the comment is over-the-top and unprovoked.

While I don't predict an LU victory, remember that the last time Lehigh descended on the Main Line, they left with the W and the other two games were tight (22-16 in 2004 and 30-20 in 07). A win for VU is not a foregone conclusion.

i was obviously joking... geez.. notice the litany of smileys

ngineer
September 11th, 2008, 10:26 PM

Thanks. You're right. I remember after we beat 'nova in '06 is post game comments were lousy.

ngineer
September 11th, 2008, 10:28 PM

They did two years ago when I was down there.

ngineer
September 11th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Well the spread is 11 and I think that is right on.

I agree..Earlier this week I figured we'd be a 10-14 point underdog. I'd take the 11...xnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Lehigh has always played well against A-10/CAA teams going back a while. Even when the PL slipped in the mid 90's the competed well against Umas, NH, Northeastern etc. The only team the struggled against was Delaware. Villanova is a good team but there is a reason they're #23, they have talent but there are some question marks. The reason i think this game is will close and perhaps other Lehigh fans would agree is assuming Villanova is as good as the best team in the PL, Top 20, then Lehigh, if they are indeed improved, should compete. That's why it's a big barometer for the season IMO. If Villanova would win by 28 things might get ugly. This team needs some positives to build off. A big loss would be a huge negative for the mindset of the team i believe.

LUHawker
September 11th, 2008, 10:45 PM
i was obviously joking... geez.. notice the litany of smileys

I took the rolling smileys as "rolling in the aisles with laughter" at the notion that Lehigh had a solid front 7

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks. You're right. I remember after we beat 'nova in '06 is post game comments were lousy.

I remember Sunday practice for the Wildcats that week! :D

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2008, 11:31 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2008/09/preview-of-lehigh-vs-villanova.html

Just posted my preview of the big game on Saturday. Villanova fans will undoubtedly be happy with it.

Hoyadestroya85
September 12th, 2008, 12:51 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2008/09/preview-of-lehigh-vs-villanova.html

Just posted my preview of the big game on Saturday. Villanova fans will undoubtedly be happy with it.

by far my favorite college football blog very well done..
i wish we had some fan who was interested/capable of creating ONE football blog (we already have dozens of basketball blogs)

ngineer
September 12th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Excellent breakdown of the opponent...While I would hope our D would hold VU below 24 and give us a shot, the major concern is whether the O keeps the ball and moves it, if at least to shift field position and give the D a breather. I see us giving up 35 points only if the D is on the field all day and tires out (or some turnovers turned into points, which never can be predicted).

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Excellent breakdown of the opponent...While I would hope our D would hold VU below 24 and give us a shot, the major concern is whether the O keeps the ball and moves it, if at least to shift field position and give the D a breather. I see us giving up 35 points only if the D is on the field all day and tires out (or some turnovers turned into points, which never can be predicted).

Upon further reflection I decided you were right, and predicted a smaller victory. :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2008, 07:52 AM

I absolutely agree with that. Lehigh needs to move the ball and control it to some extent to win have a shot at this game. The "O" can't have more than 2-3 3 and outs the whole day to keep the "D" fresh. Also they need to control field position as much as possible. The other big thing is going to be the speed factor. I don't think 'Nova is really that much faster than Lehigh but 'Nova on turf will be a drastic difference then Drake in the mud last week. It might take Lehigh a quarter to adjust. One thing i wouldn't do is panic if Lehigh falls behind early.

Pard94
September 12th, 2008, 08:47 AM

Or you could leave the wife and kids at home and hit one of the many bars that can be located up and down the Main Line. Alas, Smokey Joes is no longer there. Used to bounce at Smoke's...good times.

LehighFan11
September 12th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I agree..Earlier this week I figured we'd be a 10-14 point underdog. I'd take the 11...xnodx

Haha i'm a betting man but their are better bets this week like usc giving the 11 xsmiley_wix

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Or you could leave the wife and kids at home and hit one of the many bars that can be located up and down the Main Line. Alas, Smokey Joes is no longer there. Used to bounce at Smoke's...good times.

You obviously don't know my wife. I want her to like these games!

Though I did go to Smokey Joe's back in the day: the bar that was known as being the last place Lenny Dykstra was seen at before he totalled his car. Yes, quite the claim to fame! xlolx

Pard94
September 12th, 2008, 11:37 AM
You obviously don't know my wife. I want her to like these games!

Though I did go to Smokey Joe's back in the day: the bar that was known as being the last place Lenny Dykstra was seen at before he totalled his car. Yes, quite the claim to fame! xlolx

That's true! In fact I was working that evening. He and Darren Daulton were three sheets to the wind. As were the girls (not wives) they were with.

LacesOut
September 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM
C'mon 'Nova!!!

/got nuthin' else....

ngineer
September 12th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I absolutely agree with that. Lehigh needs to move the ball and control it to some extent to win have a shot at this game. The "O" can't have more than 2-3 3 and outs the whole day to keep the "D" fresh. Also they need to control field position as much as possible. The other big thing is going to be the speed factor. I don't think 'Nova is really that much faster than Lehigh but 'Nova on turf will be a drastic difference then Drake in the mud last week. It might take Lehigh a quarter to adjust. One thing i wouldn't do is panic if Lehigh falls behind early.

No question. Two years ago it looked like it was going to be a blowout when Nova went up 14-0 early. Truly, a great game for the boys in brown to rally back.xnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2008, 07:48 PM
"Unsurprisingly, around here the big talk concerns the only sold-out football game in the Philadelphia area tomorrow: the Villanova/Lehigh game." LFN

Where did you hear that the game was sold-out? I looked around, including 'Nova's website, and i didn't see that the game was sold-out. I was planning on going down tomorrow but i don't have tickets so i don't won't to make the trip only to find out it is indeed a sell out.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2008, 08:14 PM
"Unsurprisingly, around here the big talk concerns the only sold-out football game in the Philadelphia area tomorrow: the Villanova/Lehigh game." LFN

Where did you hear that the game was sold-out? I looked around, including 'Nova's website, and i didn't see that the game was sold-out. I was planning on going down tomorrow but i don't have tickets so i don't won't to make the trip only to find out it is indeed a sell out.

Talley mentioned it in his Monday CAA teleconference, and I was fairly certain I read it somewhere else.. I was surprised when I heard it myself.

Perhaps it was a Talley-ism that somehow became something it's not. It's hopefully not true since I'm hoping to bring my wife and child and I don't have tix for them.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Talley mentioned it in his Monday CAA teleconference, and I was fairly certain I read it somewhere else.. I was surprised when I heard it myself.

Perhaps it was a Talley-ism that somehow became something it's not. It's hopefully not true since I'm hoping to bring my wife and child and I don't have tix for them.

Hopefully someone from 'Nova can chime in before the end of the night to verify if the game is indeed sold out. I really hope it isn't since it's not being covered by TV. I didn't think 'Nova sold out its games against Delaware let alone Lehigh.

ngineer
September 12th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Hopefully someone from 'Nova can chime in before the end of the night to verify if the game is indeed sold out. I really hope it isn't since it's not being covered by TV. I didn't think 'Nova sold out its games against Delaware let alone Lehigh.

Yes, I read the 'sold out ' quote, but I'd be surprised. There were a few thousand empty seats two years ago when we visited...I think attendance was around 9000+ and the stadium seats over 12,000. Supposedly it is Parent's Weekend at Villanova, so if the weather is good, they may have a bigger than average crowd, but I'd still be surprised if you couldn't buy a ticket.

Hoyadestroya85
September 12th, 2008, 11:10 PM
it's parents weekend.. the maine game last year was packed.. moreso than the delaware game

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2008, 11:40 PM
it's parents weekend.. the maine game last year was packed.. moreso than the delaware game

So is the game sold-out or not?

m11jp
September 13th, 2008, 02:17 AM
The only way Lehigh stays in it this year is if they force 3+ turnovers and give the ball away no more than once. That's asking a lot. Villanova rolls.

Hoyadestroya85
September 13th, 2008, 09:52 AM
So is the game sold-out or not?

as of a couple of days ago there were only seats in one section available..

Go Cats!

LehighFan11
September 13th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Villanova got the ball first, picked up a few first downs and was stopped on 4th and 2 at the 22.
Lehigh moving the ball up to midfield now. Sounds like Davaugh Gordon is playing some WR for Lehigh.

Syntax Error
September 13th, 2008, 12:19 PM
please post scores in the score thread xthumbsupx

LehighFan11
September 13th, 2008, 12:23 PM
please post scores in the score thread xthumbsupx

Yea other scores, but why wouldn't we post updates and scores for the Lehigh v Nova in the gamethread?

LehighFan11
September 13th, 2008, 12:49 PM
The ESPN gamecast is only a few plays behind for those that want to track the stats for this game.

Skjellyfetti
September 13th, 2008, 12:57 PM
you can stream video here:

http://www.channelsurfing.net/

LehighFan11
September 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM
you can stream video here:

http://www.channelsurfing.net/

Wow this works. thanks. Isn't great quality but it sure beats the radio.

Go...gate
September 13th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Yea other scores, but why wouldn't we post updates and scores for the Lehigh v Nova in the gamethread?

This confuses me. Game action updates should be posted and discussed, but on-going game score updates posted somewhere else? xconfusedx

Could the Mods clarify this?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Just got home from the game. After seeing Lehigh for the first time this year i was pretty dissapointed. Lehigh's defense is as good as i thought they would be but the offense is a disaster. Lehigh was just as quick as Villanova and really not any smaller either but Villanova was able to execute well enough to keep Lehigh's D on the field and kick 4 FG's. I was not very impressed with Villanova, they're an average CAA team and are no better than they've been the last 3-4 years. They're QB looked slow and awkward running the ball and didn't get really pass the ball well until they started running some quick passes to get him in sink. Given that Lehigh is not a very good football team either. Talented, yes, a good team not even close. Unless Coen can figure out how to run an offense i see a 4 or 5 win season ahead for Lehigh.

Hoyadestroya85
September 13th, 2008, 05:23 PM
they're above average... everyone has a crappy game..
how is your backup QB? because i was lessed than impressed..

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2008, 05:30 PM
they're above average... everyone has a crappy game..
how is your backup QB? because i was lessed than impressed..

Villanova is probably a 6-5, 7-4 team this year but a Top FCS team they are not unless Lehigh is better than i think which i highly doubt. A Lehigh team from 4-5 years ago wins this game but given the current state of the program floundered around for 60 minutes.

Lehigh's backup QB is not as good as Clark which is why he's the backup. Plus he's a Sr and Clark is a Soph so Coen feels he can build something with him. The biggest problem for Lehigh on offense was their inability to run the ball. You can't win a football game, especially when it's hot, without any sort of ground game. Lehigh's offense just put their D in way too many short field situations.

LehighFan11
September 13th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Just got home from the game. After seeing Lehigh for the first time this year i was pretty dissapointed. Lehigh's defense is as good as i thought they would be but the offense is a disaster. Lehigh was just as quick as Villanova and really not any smaller either but Villanova was able to execute well enough to keep Lehigh's D on the field and kick 4 FG's. I was not very impressed with Villanova, they're an average CAA team and are no better than they've been the last 3-4 years. They're QB looked slow and awkward running the ball and didn't get really pass the ball well until they started running some quick passes to get him in sink. Given that Lehigh is not a very good football team either. Talented, yes, a good team not even close. Unless Coen can figure out how to run an offense i see a 4 or 5 win season ahead for Lehigh.

Let's go easy on a 4-5 win season, Lehigh just played their toughest game all year. Clark and the offense was terrible but will get better and with that defense Lehigh will be in every game until late. And don't bash Nova, they are a very good football team that deserves a top 25 ranking.

ngineer
September 13th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Well I just got back from the Main Line. While no one expected us to win, I thought we'd be closer to pull an upset with a break or two. Unfortunately, this was the first 'true baptism' for Clark who made some glaring mistakes under the intense pressure he got. VU's DLl was extremely quick and our OL had major trouble. Still we had on TD--a pretty 40 yard bomb--that was called back for holding and both teams scored TD's directly off each other's turnovers. Our D gave up 2 TDs and 4 FGs (including 2-44 yarders), which was close to the '24' point limit to which I was hoping we'd hold VU.
I liked the fight the kids showed all the way through. Diamond and Cohen played very well, but VU's OL had too much push against our DL--we miss Phil Winnet at middle guard.
Considering VU had 19/22 starters back from last year's team that beat us by 10, I think we saw the best team on our schedule. The key will be how much Clark learns from this experience. I remember some bad days Phil Stambaugh (considered one of Lehigh's best ever QBs) had with 4 ints, so it will be very interesting to see how he responds against Princeton in 2 weeks. Princeton plays The Citadel next week in Charleston.
Villanova plays Richmond next week, so we'll know how good VU is comparatively..but keep in mind this was a Wildcat team that out gained West Virginia by about 50 yards and would have been much closer, scorewise, but for some turnovers.
While the loss is disappointing, a good team will take the experience and learn from it. The loss does nothing to effect the balance of the season, unless they let it. One never learns from success. Hopefully we see improvement and win at Princeton that gets the team moving in the right direction.

Hoyadestroya85
September 13th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Richmond's in 2 weeks.. Penn is next week at Franklin field (great place to watch a game)
i'm rooting for you guys.. it was a gritty effort

Lehigh Football Nation
September 14th, 2008, 01:28 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2008/09/lehigh-14-villanova-33-final.html

The national columnist in me is a bit miffed I changed the prediction from 35-17 to 24-17. The Lehigh fan in me, though, really doesn't know what to think.

Syntax Error
September 14th, 2008, 01:59 AM
This confuses me. Game action updates should be posted and discussed, but on-going game score updates posted somewhere else?Lots of us for years have made the score thread the place to keep up on all the game scores. If we want to talk about a specific game with the fans then we go their game thread. That's why score updates should be made in the score thread. Don't want to go to so many threads just to get the latest on the scores. xnodx