PDA

View Full Version : Joe Flacco Wins First Game for Baltimore

Redwyn
September 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I saw some highlights this afternoon of the Baltimore Ravens' win against Cincy with Joe Flacco as QB. There've been many former FCS players in the NFL, but he's the first that comes to mind that has the potential to be a high impact player (no others at his position to compete with for star or playing time).

Perhaps more impressive is his jump from roster maybe to first string, though injuries can often help a good deal (Boller gone for season, Smith recovering from tonsillitis). Baltimore in the past few years hasn't been the best place for a QB, so more credit is due to someone who managed to emerge there.

Did anyone get a chance to watch the game, maybe give a better illustration of his performance?

AlphaSigMD
September 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM
He certainly looked like he learned a thing or two from Armanti during the national championship game. xsmiley_wix

That rushing TD was sweet! GO JOE! Congrats!

JayJ79
September 7th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I saw some highlights this afternoon of the Baltimore Ravens' win against Cincy with Joe Flacco as QB. There've been many former FCS players in the NFL, but he's the first that comes to mind that has the potential to be a high impact player (no others at his position to compete with for star or playing time).

There have been plenty of FCS players who have been high impact players in the NFL. Though perhaps not starting the very first game after graduating/leaving college.

Still to early to say that Flacco has made a high impact, but he did play a decent, mistake-free game, which is a good start. And I wish him well (even if he did ruin our season last year xoopsx )

Grizalltheway
September 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM

Perhaps more impressive is his jump from roster maybe to first string, though injuries can often help a good deal (Boller gone for season, Smith recovering from tonsillitis). Baltimore in the past few years hasn't been the best place for a QB, so more credit is due to someone who managed to emerge there.

Did anyone get a chance to watch the game, maybe give a better illustration of his performance?

Rich Gannon???? Jerry Rice??? The list goes on...

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2008, 06:39 PM
MVP Kurt Warner

ericsaid
September 7th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Mike Tolbert played pretty good for San Diego, a rookie fullback from Coastal Carolina.

Redwyn
September 7th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Oh my...I need to take back what I said about Flacco being a first. I had no idea Rice and Gannon were ex. I-AA athletes. I appreciate those who pointed them out to me. I have a ton to learn about I-AA football, so please bear with me.

That being said, congrats again to Flacco

paward
September 7th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Tim Hightower got a td today as well!

Houndawg
September 7th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Oh my...I need to take back what I said about Flacco being a first. I had no idea Rice and Gannon were ex. I-AA athletes. I appreciate those who pointed them out to me. I have a ton to learn about I-AA football, so please bear with me.

Walter Payton

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2008, 06:57 PM

It's ok. ;)

Chi Panther
September 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I remember the Pro Bowl with Warner, Gannon and McNair....I think that says alot....xthumbsupx xbowx

bluehenbillk
September 7th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Conservative game plan, slightly better than 50% completion, had some bad throws & had some drops. 2 highlights were the TD's, a 39 yd TD run & throwing lead blocks on a double reverse.

proasu89
September 7th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Walter Payton

Thanks, Dawg.

And Congrats to Mr. Flacco!

App Attack
September 7th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Steve McNair, just to name a few more... some of the best NFL players came from FCS.

bjtheflamesfan
September 7th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Youd be surprised how big a percentage of the real top notch players in the NFL came from 1-AA/FCS schools (heck TO went to UTC, Dwayne Carswell went to Liberty, Im sure everybody on here could come up with one or two from their school or their conference)

RadMann
September 7th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I remember the Pro Bowl with Warner, Gannon and McNair....I think that says alot....xthumbsupx xbowx

True, in addition Warner, McNair and Gannon were all FCS/I-AA alumni and all also won the NFL MVP award (Warner won it twice).

Franks Tanks
September 7th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Steve McNair, just to name a few more... some of the best NFL players came from FCS.

Brian Westbrook, Brandon Jacobs and Tony Romo also come to mind immediately. Flacco has a long way to go to even be the best former FCS QB currently playing.

katstrapper
September 7th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I have Flacco as one of my QB's on my Fantasy Football Team.xthumbsupx I didnt start him this week, but he has a chance to start soon if he keeps playing that way. Had a decent game.

Redwyn
September 7th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I have Flacco as one of my QB's on my Fantasy Football Team.xthumbsupx I didnt start him this week, but he has a chance to start soon if he keeps playing that way. Had a decent game.

Good luck with him. I had Troy Smith for a bit and am quite glad to release him.

On a related topic, are there any players from I-AA showing draft potential this year? I'd go by All-Americans, but I keep remembering the Heisman winner from Oklahoma who was never drafted, so hoping to get feedback this way.

93henfan
September 8th, 2008, 05:41 AM
John Taylor of Delaware State caught the game-winning TD from Joe Montana in Superbowl XXIII and has three Superbowl rings.

mcveyrl
September 8th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Moss went to Marshall, were they 1AA when he went there?

Yea, I think the first few years. Might've been I-A when he left. I saw him play ETSU in the craptacular Mini-Dome.

Franks Tanks
September 8th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Moss went to Marshall, were they 1AA when he went there?

Yes- they were only I-A in Moss's final year

smallcollegefbfan
September 8th, 2008, 09:52 AM

Throw in All-Pro Center Matt Birk from Harvard, Terrell Owens from UTC, Brian Westbrook from Villanova, former All-Pro Dexter Coakley of App State, Randy Moss actually played more games as an FCS player than FBS player during his career.

You should check out past Sports Network All-America teams because they go back to the 1980s and you can see there were some very good names on those lists who made it in the NFL.

Here is the link.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-AMERICANS.htm

CharlestonAppFan
September 8th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Tony Homo is from FCS as well xnodx xthumbsupx

appmaj
September 8th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Good for Flacco

DSUrocks07
September 8th, 2008, 11:21 AM
John Taylor of Delaware State caught the game-winning TD from Joe Montana in Superbowl XXIII and has three Superbowl rings.

xnodx

And great game for Joe xthumbsupx

89Hen
September 8th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I don't think he'll put up big FF numbers.

andy7171
September 8th, 2008, 12:17 PM
The term "Third Down Back" was basically created/defined because of my boy Dave Meggett!
He was tops on all-time return yards until Brian Mitchell passed him. And didn't B-Mitch play at SELA?

andy7171
September 8th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I don't think he'll put up big FF numbers.

Not this year. xpeacex

Hoyadestroya85
September 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM
brian westbrook.. the best of all in the league now

zymergy
September 8th, 2008, 12:46 PM
brian westbrook.. the best of all in the league now

I wouldn't go that far!!

zymergy
September 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Pops (Mike Adams) started for Cleveland Sunday...nice to see him playing vs Dallas.

93henfan
September 8th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't go that far!!

I would! What would the Eagles be without Westbrook?

Plus, is there any FCS going higher in fantasy football drafts? I think Westbrook is going top 3 - 5 in most drafts.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 8th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Pops (Mike Adams) started for Cleveland Sunday...nice to see him playing vs Dallas.

Though Pops whiffed on this occasion, he did lead the Brown with eight tackles on the day. :)

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0809/nfl.week1.photos/images/dal-cle-marion-barber.jpg

MSU_77
September 8th, 2008, 01:37 PM
The term "Third Down Back" was basically created/defined because of my boy Dave Meggett!
He was tops on all-time return yards until Brian Mitchell passed him. And didn't B-Mitch play at SELA?

B-Mitch was quarterback and kick returner at USL (now known as ULL, at least for this week.) They are FBS in name only.

Franks Tanks
September 8th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Your getting your directional LA schools mixed up again. xlolx Mitchell played QB for NELA now Monroe of course and they were I-AA when he was there I believe.

MSU_77
September 8th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Your getting your directional LA schools mixed up again. xlolx Mitchell played QB for NELA now Monroe of course and they were I-AA when he was there I believe.

Nope - see above and this (http://brianmitchellfoundation.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=31)link for highlights of his college career - it was USL. Probably their best player ever. Of course, that's not saying much.

Rekdiver
September 8th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Joe keeps proving people wrong. Baltimore hasn't exactly been know for developing QB's and I'm thrilled for him. He better stop the running though or he will become 5'6" instear of 6'6" pretty quickly.

Franks Tanks
September 8th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Joe keeps proving people wrong. Baltimore hasn't exactly been know for developing QB's and I'm thrilled for him. He better stop the running though or he will become 5'6" instear of 6'6" pretty quickly.

They have an entirely new coaching staff now in place-

CarolinaGirl
September 8th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Joe had a great game yesterday! I was worried he was being thrown to the wolves. Way to represent!! xthumbsupx

DSUHornet
September 8th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I am very proud of Joey. i hope he holds on to the starting job

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 9th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Great job, Mr. Flacco. I hope you win many, many more games in the show. Thanks for carrying the FCS banner so well!

Wolfman
September 17th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Don't get too jacked yet. Remember he was playing against the Bungles.