PDA

View Full Version : WKU to the MAC

SpiritCymbal
October 28th, 2005, 03:44 PM
So with Western Kentucky making the jump up to I-A and into the MAC, does that mean that one of the schools there is making a jump to another conference or are they going to sit with 13 schools? I'm just wondering what conference changes are to come in the next couple of years. With ASU making a "big announcement" on Nov. 12th, I wonder if there is going to be some "shifting" amongst the "non-BCS" conferences to make room for some new I-A teams.

galojay
October 28th, 2005, 04:50 PM
I missed the announcement where WKU was going to the MAC.

FlyYtown
October 28th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Until they get their new stadium addition bult and attendance rises and Buffalo-Temple-Etc. are kicked out; they won't be going... Nor will Youngstown State though I am good friends with the AD here and I have told him to consider and he says they are always open but they still would only join a league for football; they like their contract with the Horizon in the other sports so that hurts their jump.

Give me 3-5 Years and I bet both schools will be close to joining.

SpiritCymbal
October 28th, 2005, 07:07 PM
What new I-A teams?

That's what I'm asking....Besides WKU, what other teams are there? ASU is making plans but if I-A is their intention, they're still probably a good 4-5 years away from making the jump up.

SpiritCymbal
October 28th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Until they get their new stadium addition bult and attendance rises and Buffalo-Temple-Etc. are kicked out; they won't be going... Nor will Youngstown State though I am good friends with the AD here and I have told him to consider and he says they are always open but they still would only join a league for football; they like their contract with the Horizon in the other sports so that hurts their jump.

Give me 3-5 Years and I bet both schools will be close to joining.

You mean Temple added not kicked out, right? They're not in the MAC yet. After making the original post I was informed that Temple will be #13 in the MAC and WKU will be #14. I was just wondering if there were a couple of MAC teams that were going to jump to C-USA or something like that. In a nut shell...rumors have flown that in the coming years, about a couple of teams leaving C-USA for Mountain West and Big East (again), teams moving from Sun Belt to C-USA or Big East.

So I was wondering if anyone had any addition info about anything like that. With WKU moving into the MAC and ASU setting themselves up for the Sun Belt most likely, I was wondering if there were any more small pieces that could make the big pie come together.

FightinBluHen51
October 28th, 2005, 07:16 PM
You mean Temple added not kicked out, right? They're not in the MAC yet. After making the original post I was informed that Temple will be #13 in the MAC and WKU will be #14. I was just wondering if there were a couple of MAC teams that were going to jump to C-USA or something like that. In a nut shell...rumors have flown that in the coming years, about a couple of teams leaving C-USA for Mountain West and Big East (again), teams moving from Sun Belt to C-USA or Big East.

So I was wondering if anyone had any addition info about anything like that. With WKU moving into the MAC and ASU setting themselves up for the Sun Belt most likely, I was wondering if there were any more small pieces that could make the big pie come together.
Temple is going to CUSA

DFW HOYA
October 28th, 2005, 07:29 PM
In a nut shell...rumors have flown that in the coming years, about a couple of teams leaving C-USA for Mountain West and Big East (again), teams moving from Sun Belt to C-USA or Big East.

There are no good C-USA teams that fit the MWC footprint; if anything, there may be room for a Fresno State at some point. C-USA stays at 12.

The Big East can't grow beyond 16 teams, which means a school like ECU or Memphis is not going to give up C-USA affiliation in other sports to be a football-only Big East member. You need 75% approval by all 16 for expansion, not just I-A schools. Army isn't looking at the BE, and Navy won't go without them. The Big East stays where it is for now.

Perhaps a more interesting thread would be I-AA alignment. At some point the fault lines running among the Southern, OVC, and A10/CAA are going to be an issue.

galojay
October 28th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Again, where is the announcement that WKU is moving to the MAC? All that is out there is rumors. The MAC asked for a institutional profile from WKU, but that is all, and that was over six months ago. It's been all quiet since then.

SpiritCymbal
October 28th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Western Kentucky has not announced they are moving to I-A. Ask galojay.
I realize they haven't announced it. But they are joining the MAC.

So beyond that.....there's pretty much no movement?

Thanks. Best way to squash rumors!

galojay
October 28th, 2005, 07:48 PM
I realize they haven't announced it. But they are joining the MAC.

So beyond that.....there's pretty much no movement?

Thanks. Best way to squash rumors!

And how can you say that? What makes you think they are joining?

blur2005
October 28th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Army isn't looking at the BE, and Navy won't go without them. The Big East stays where it is for now.

I think I about laughed my head off at this. Army sucks, and Navy would get rocked in the Big East, and they're much better than Army. I think the more correct way of putting it is not "Army isn't looking at the Big East," but rather "There is no way in hell that the Big East is looking at Army."

SpiritCymbal
October 29th, 2005, 01:05 AM
I seriously doubt there will be any leaving I-AA this year though several are coming to I-AA.
I'm sorry...thought I said 2007. Just looked at my original post. Sorry for the confusion.

arkstfan
October 29th, 2005, 08:08 AM
The internet world seems to think WKU is going to the MAC, but the people in leadership around I-A generally think that the MAC is too divided at this time to approve expansion.

The MAC took a big financial hit last year with its bowl agreements. They paid the Silicon nearly double in sponsorship what the Sun Belt did and unlike the Sun Belt they didn't find an outside sponsor to fund that agreement (if you for some reason paid attention to the game it was the Movie Gallery SVFC, a primary sponsor for Troy). They paid a massive sponsorship agreement with the Independence Bowl. Couple that with no second bids in basketball and no first round wins and their financial picture isn't as rosey as a couple years ago. There is strong opposition to splitting a declining balance 13 ways instead of 12 ways.

Those in the MAC that support WKU in order to boost basketball are countered by those who point out that the departure of Marshall should boost the RPI enough to get the MAC back to 2 bid level. If that is correct, then they point out that it is better to split the pot 12 ways instead of 13.

Finally there are those in the MAC who fear Temple may yet pull the plug on football. If the new coach cannot right the ship that may be a real threat. Temple didn't break 10,000 attendance for either home game against MAC teams this year. If that trend holds when they are playing a 4 game home slate in the MAC they have problems. If they just have Temple they are at 12 in hoops and 13 in football. Add WKU and it is 13 hoops 14 football. If Temple bails it is 13 and 13. Not a great scheduling situation.

MAC expansion is only a lock in the minds of a few persistent internet posters.

SpiritCymbal
October 29th, 2005, 12:07 PM
None have announced period and none are expected for 2007 either.

Just can't stand it that there's a chance that someone MIGHT know more than you when it comes to anything remotely about 1-aa, eh? Really rubs you doesn't it! :D

Don't worry Ralph....your job is safe as the 1-aa captain!

CollegeSportsInfo
October 31st, 2005, 01:19 PM
There are no good C-USA teams that fit the MWC footprint; if anything, there may be room for a Fresno State at some point. C-USA stays at 12.

The Big East can't grow beyond 16 teams, which means a school like ECU or Memphis is not going to give up C-USA affiliation in other sports to be a football-only Big East member. You need 75% approval by all 16 for expansion, not just I-A schools. Army isn't looking at the BE, and Navy won't go without them. The Big East stays where it is for now.

Perhaps a more interesting thread would be I-AA alignment. At some point the fault lines running among the Southern, OVC, and A10/CAA are going to be an issue.

UTEP would be an ideal fot for the MWC as an in-state rival for TCU and an additonal rival for New Mexico. Their attendance numbers would be a solid MWC addition as well.

As for the Big East, don't expect too much for another 4 years. You might see football only membership before then, but it is unlikely.