PDA

View Full Version : Umass @ JMU

Pages : [1] 2

umassfan
September 7th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Before all this ASU talk... JMU has a big game vs UMass at their place. Let the talk begin.:D

JMUSaxMRD
September 7th, 2008, 11:09 AM
How good is/was Holy Cross?

mcveyrl
September 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM
My guess is a lot of points will be scored. Coen will probably pick apart our secondary and we will probably mix the run and pass again this week.

Team with the ball last wins.

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Exactly........next up is UMASS.

An opening loss to Duke and a butt whipping of NC Central really does not give me much to go on except the fact that JMU should be a competitive squad this year.

Simply put.....Huge game for both teams, but a must win for the home team as you must win at home in this league.

UMASS is off to a great start but I'm looking for a close game next week. Landers and company need to be sharp for this matchup.

Go Dukes

umassfan
September 7th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Exactly........next up is UMASS.

An opening loss to Duke and a butt whipping of NC Central really does not give me much to go on except the fact that JMU should be a competitive squad this year.

Simply put.....Huge game for both teams, but a must win for the home team as you must win at home in this league.

UMASS is off to a great start but I'm looking for a close game next week. Landers and company need to be sharp for this matchup.

Go Dukes

UMass teams have had issue with Landers style QBs in the past. We are currently having issues wraping up guys when making tackles. If JMU is soft in the DB area, unless you put pressure on Coen, it will be a long day. Coen has yet to be sacked this season.

Old Cage
September 7th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Coen threw for 395 and three of our DB's were All-CAA pre-season first team.

We will throw. You better be able to run.

Should be fun. It's great that it is on tv.

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I'd have to go with JMU at this point. Single digit game.

ericsaid
September 7th, 2008, 01:21 PM
35-17 JMU wins.:D

HensRock
September 7th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I think UMass will be able to control the ball on offense. And on defense, the Minutemen have the talent in the secondary to load the box and force Landers to try to beat them with his arm.

Therefore, I'll go with UMass in this one.

Col Hogan
September 7th, 2008, 01:49 PM
35-17 JMU wins.:D

I'm not predicting a win...but I will say, UMass will score a bit more than 17...

I say it will be a good offensive game, with each team in the 30's at minimum...

I'll also be there for this one...xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

19Duke97
September 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I like JMU because it's at home, but I think it will be a highly competitive game. I think both teams could put 40 on the board. However, if JMU has a strength on defense, it IS their backs and safeties. No offense to holy Cross, but if they can put 42 on UMass's D, I think JMU can run against them, and don't think Landers can't pass the football, he is more than capable.

dukesfan74
September 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Landers is a better passer than most give him credit for. He is good enough to keep the D honest and then use his legs

bluehenbillk
September 7th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I'll say JMU by 10ish.

phillyAPP
September 7th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Landers is a better passer than most give him credit for. He is good enough to keep the D honest and then use his legs

Are tickets available ? and what time is the game ? I think i might drive 3 hours to JMU 2 weeks in a row !!

RichmondDuke
September 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM
It's a sell-out, no tickets available through the ticket office. Though, I'm sure you could find some if you asked around caazone.com.

But beware, two straight weekends taking in all the sites on JMU's campus may have you changing your avatar. xsmiley_wix

EmeryZach
September 7th, 2008, 06:24 PM
JMU 49 - UMass 28

Going to be a very long day for the UMass Defense. I have no confidence in them at all. Landers will own us. And if it is a really hot night UMass will lose by even more.

I'll be there, so I hope UMass plays better than I think, but I've watched every down this season and I am not thrilled at what I have seen at all. I do not trust this team. You know I will be rooting hard for them though in the stands. Should be a fun trip.

Old Cage
September 7th, 2008, 06:49 PM
EZ - Get back on your meds! We will be fine. Give the new guys on D a chance to learn.

When we won a national championship with Whip coaching, his famous line was "If we hold 'em to 50, we'll be fine". Our first four opponents put up 112 against us. We were three and one and getting better as we went.

EmeryZach
September 7th, 2008, 06:53 PM
EZ - Get back on your meds! We will be fine. Give the new guys on D a chance to learn.

When we won a national championship with Whip coaching, his famous line was "If we hold 'em to 50, we'll be fine". Our first four opponents put up 112 against us. We were three and one and getting better as we went.

I know, I skipped them this weekend.

Kymermosst
September 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I'd feel better about JMU if we'd done a better job tackling at HC.

I do think our guys are going to get fired up and start to click this week. Coach knows that we're not going to make it by sheer luck in Harrisonburg. The UMass fans are what pulled them through yesterday and we won't have that benefit next week.

I expect it to be a long few days at practice but a whole new UMass defense on Saturday.

That said, I still don't think it'll be enough. I had worries about this game all along and I don't think we can get rid of all of the bugs that fast. Should be a high scoring game, our offense will make it look good, but in the end JMU gets the win at home 45-38.

Henwatcher
September 7th, 2008, 07:03 PM
JMU wins this one EASILY.

Turfwar
September 7th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Bridgeforth Stadium wins this for JMU, the guess is about 13 points.

crusader11
September 7th, 2008, 08:52 PM
It's hard to fault a coach who consistently has winning seasons and regular trips to the playoffs, but the amount of stupid penalties (offsides, pass interferences, and personal fouls) that UMASS committed against Holy Cross is a sign of a very undisciplined team; a direct reflection of the coaching staff. Now, pass interferences is not on the coach, as he obviously cannot control how a defender plays the ball and receiver but personal fouls and offsides certainly are.

UMASS must have committed at least 4 or 5 personal fouls which prolonged several of Holy Cross' drives. The thing that really surprised me about this was I never saw Coach Brown get in the players' faces about these penalties. Certainly, the secondary and defense could use a little work, but so does the attitude of the players and how they play the game. I truly think this will inhibit UMASS' success this year.

umassfan
September 7th, 2008, 08:56 PM
It's hard to fault a coach who consistently has winning seasons and regular trips to the playoffs, but the amount of stupid penalties (offsides, pass interferences, and personal fouls) that UMASS committed against Holy Cross is a sign of a very undisciplined team; a direct reflection of the coaching staff. Now, pass interferences is not on the coach, as he obviously cannot control how a defender plays the ball and receiver but personal fouls and offsides certainly are.

UMASS must have committed at least 4 or 5 personal fouls which prolonged several of Holy Cross' drives. The thing that really surprised me about this was I never saw Coach Brown get in the players' faces about these penalties. Certainly, the secondary and defense could use a little work, but so does the attitude of the players and how they play the game. I truly think this will inhibit UMASS' success this year.

You must not know Don Brown teams then. This isnt a new issue. Has been from day one. He states that he will live with those flags because he will not ask his players to not give 100 %

GannonFan
September 7th, 2008, 09:07 PM
UMass has always had problems with option based teams - heck, URI used to give UMass fits despite being a pretty poor team. UMass's D is just flat out terrible right now, and while JMU can't pass (the earlier poster touting Landers' passing ability just isn't right - Landers is a decent passer assuming it's a flanker screen type pass - other than that he's unreliable), they can run the ball. I don't think JMU's defense is anything to write home about so Coen will have some real gaudy stats, but in the end UMass's inability to handle the rushing game will doom them. I think JMU by 2 TD's.

crusader11
September 7th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Is hitting a player out of bounds or going offsides OK because the player is thought to be going 100%? It's fairly obvious UMASS is a team with a wealth of talent, but little discipline.

GannonFan
September 7th, 2008, 09:12 PM
You must not know Don Brown teams then. This isnt a new issue. Has been from day one. He states that he will live with those flags because he will not ask his players to not give 100 %

That's just a weird philosophy - there are plenty of teams that give the 100% effort but also play smart and avoid the dumb stuff. It's not as if they are mutually exclusive.

umassfan
September 7th, 2008, 10:00 PM
That's just a weird philosophy - there are plenty of teams that give the 100% effort but also play smart and avoid the dumb stuff. It's not as if they are mutually exclusive.

You would have to understand his style of D to understand the penelty issue. You cant really say too much because the success under him has been great at UMass and NU as well.

Kymermosst
September 7th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Don Brown has come out and said on several occasions that he will not tell his players to "play safe." He'd rather have the guys out there being aggressive and going for it all game and not holding back because something is borderline and they're afraid there could be a penalty.

I didn't go out to Holy Cross yesterday, but I was at the Albany game opening night and I've been to plenty of games. I've seen calls made against UMass that were highly questionable and many of those out of bounds hits you mention are guys who have fully committed to the hit before the ball carrier gets out of bounds. Sometimes we get called for it, sometimes we don't. And sometimes that ball carrier stays in and that committed hit is what ends the play.

Obviously it would be great if we could cut back on the penalties and not spot the other team 100 yards in every game. But if my choices are spot the yards, play aggressive and win, or reduce the penalties, play more reserved, and hope, I'll take the former. Thankfully our team has been good enough to overcome that far more often than not.

minuteman65
September 8th, 2008, 01:46 AM
To be fair,one of the late hit calls was absolutely ridiculous. The UMass defender wrapped up the ball carrier and drove him out of bounds, then held on to him so as to not go down. The refs apparently thought hugging the ballcarrier was worthy of a penalty.

KAUMASS
September 8th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Hey guys,

Don't forget last year....we didn't exactly smoke HC and Colgate in the first two games either. We have played two very good football teams the last two weeks which have prepared us well for JMU. Holy Cross and Albany would be solid CAA teams this year. JMU struggled against Duke with a bunch of turnovers and they smoked an average D2 team. I don't know what to expect from JMU. Neither team has probably shown everything in their arsenal, as we both have played non-conference games. This game has the potential to be a classic. I also wouldn't be surprised to see either team take it hard on the chin. Can't wait to watch it!!!

appfan2008
September 8th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I think JMU looks sluggish early on due to looking ahead but will sneak out a win... good luck to both teams...

JmuSkinsfan
September 8th, 2008, 09:43 AM
NCCU is FCS ... but they did just move up a couple years ago

appstate38
September 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Simply put Game of the Week: Lots of offense maybe 41-31 range for a final score. My guess is that with UMASS being higher ranked they would be a slight favorite, but they are on the road. I don't think the loser of this game will be given a death sentence but they will have to regroup quickly. My pick JMU!

WrenFGun
September 8th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I think people claiming JMU in a blowout are a bit crazy. These are two flawed but talented teams, and I expect a barnburner. JMU needs this, because if not, their season could be over fast, so I'll pick them to win.

BDKJMU
September 8th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Hey guys,

Don't forget last year....we didn't exactly smoke HC and Colgate in the first two games either. We have played two very good football teams the last two weeks which have prepared us well for JMU. Holy Cross and Albany would be solid CAA teams this year. JMU struggled against Duke with a bunch of turnovers and they smoked an average D2 team. I don't know what to expect from JMU. Neither team has probably shown everything in their arsenal, as we both have played non-conference games. This game has the potential to be a classic. I also wouldn't be surprised to see either team take it hard on the chin. Can't wait to watch it!!!

NCCU isn't D2. Are I-AA (2nd yr since leaving D2) although they probably aren't any better or even as good as the avg D2 team. They lost their 1st game to Div 2 Fayetteville State I think it was.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 8th, 2008, 01:12 PM
JMU appeared to be practicing everything they were afraid to try in Durham. 1st play from scrimmage was a pass attempt and there was an almost sarcastic cheer from the home crowd.

One thing I've noticed - Scotty McGee - He has got to be one of the best returners in the country. He returned the first NC Central punt for a TD, the opening kick of the 2nd half at Duke for 70 yrds, and just looks like a natural out there. You YSU Penguin friends will remember his return for a TD in the playoffs a couple years ago as a freshman. He is one of the intangibles that gives JMU a big boost.

I am not sure how high scoring this will be. JMU's D is better than people realize. Duke had to grind away and get 4th down conversions to score 31, and they also had a couple short fields off of turnovers. What needs to change is SACKS. If JMU starts sacking QBs, the Dukes will be scary good. Last week they got a couple, but should have had 6 or 7 sacks. Sacks and Turnovers are the keys to the game for JMU.

For UMass - it's all about creating turnovers. They are not great on D, but the talent is there to take the ball away on any play. This will be a tough test for the turnover prone Dukes. UMass' QB Coen is somewhere between solid and exceptional, likely the best passer in the CAA IMO. They need to wear down JMU and win the ball control game, just like Duke did 2 weeks ago.

Jackman
September 8th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I have no idea what to expect from this game. JMU blew out a barely FCS team but crapped the bed against a barely BCS team. Who knows what they really are. UMass suddenly can't stop anyone from moving the ball, even though they only lost a couple players from last year's highly ranked defense. Is this their real level or have they been sandbagging it against small conference opponents? I wouldn't be surprised if JMU ran them off the field, but I wouldn't be surprised if UMass stopped them cold. No possible outcome to this game would surprise me. Only after this game will we know anything definite about either team.

Oldhen
September 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM
JMU protects the ball, Matthews mixes up the playcalling, they should win at home. Coen should put up some #'s for UMass, but I don't think he'll be on the field enough to make a difference unless JMU puts it on the ground or up for grabs regularly... and they're capable of doing that...

Maroon&White
September 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I have no idea what to expect from this game. JMU blew out a barely FCS team but crapped the bed against a barely BCS team. Who knows what they really are. UMass suddenly can't stop anyone from moving the ball, even though they only lost a couple players from last year's highly ranked defense. Is this their real level or have they been sandbagging it against small conference opponents? I wouldn't be surprised if JMU ran them off the field, but I wouldn't be surprised if UMass stopped them cold. No possible outcome to this game would surprise me. Only after this game will we know anything definite about either team.

Couldn't agree more, I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Could be a blowout either way, or could come down to the last possesion. I don't know what to expect from UMass, nevermind JMU.

I know the defense isn't as bad as they've looked the past two weeks vs. Albany and Holy Cross. I thought their performance against Albany was due to them being too pumped up for the game and just over playing everything. Second half they seemed to calm down and played a lot better. The Holy Cross game showed they do have big problems in the fundamentals, mainly tackling. The defense and special teams are all of a sudden terrible tacklers. How this happened I don't know. Everyone is overrunning the ball and when trying to tackle are just using their body and not wrapping up. I couldn't keep track of how many times HC players just bounced off the defender when the UMass guy just tried to knock them over instead of really tackling them. Special teams play and tackling should be a big emphasis during practice this week.

Dukie95
September 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Well said...nothing to do but wait for Saturday. I have no idea what to epxect.

This feels like JMU's real opener as I think Mickey's been using his "Don't give UMass any video" playbook for two weeks.

BDKJMU
September 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I think people claiming JMU in a blowout are a bit crazy. These are two flawed but talented teams, and I expect a barnburner. JMU needs this, because if not, their season could be over fast, so I'll pick them to win.

Who has claimed JMU wins in a blowout?

Sure JMU needs this win, but even if JMU loses, their season isn't over. Their season wouldn't be over till they got a 4th loss. 8-3 JMU is in, 7-4 their out. UMass would have a shot with the 4th loss b/c they'd be 8-4 with an all Div I schedule. If UMass loses they're likely staring at 2-2 after playing @ Texas Tech on Sept 20th, and would still have to play (ranked):
UD
UR
@ UNH

JMU needs this win. UMass needs this win almost as much as JMU.

BDKJMU
September 8th, 2008, 03:34 PM
JMU appeared to be practicing everything they were afraid to try in Durham. 1st play from scrimmage was a pass attempt and there was an almost sarcastic cheer from the home crowd.

One thing I've noticed - Scotty McGee - He has got to be one of the best returners in the country. He returned the first NC Central punt for a TD, the opening kick of the 2nd half at Duke for 70 yrds, and just looks like a natural out there. You YSU Penguin friends will remember his return for a TD in the playoffs a couple years ago as a freshman. He is one of the intangibles that gives JMU a big boost.

I am not sure how high scoring this will be. JMU's D is better than people realize. Duke had to grind away and get 4th down conversions to score 31, and they also had a couple short fields off of turnovers. What needs to change is SACKS. If JMU starts sacking QBs, the Dukes will be scary good. Last week they got a couple, but should have had 6 or 7 sacks. Sacks and Turnovers are the keys to the game for JMU.

For UMass - it's all about creating turnovers. They are not great on D, but the talent is there to take the ball away on any play. This will be a tough test for the turnover prone Dukes. UMass' QB Coen is somewhere between solid and exceptional, likely the best passer in the CAA IMO. They need to wear down JMU and win the ball control game, just like Duke did 2 weeks ago.

McGee's ko return against Duke was for 60 yards, not 70.

Punt return for TD was 38 yards. McGee did have 99 yard kick return for TD @ YSU in 1st round of playoffs in 06' and 100 yard ko return for TD against Towson last game of regular season last season.

06':
"his 34.1-yard kickoff return average is the best season for a Duke with 10 or more returns... his 99-yard return tied for the then-longest in team history and was its best since 1996."

07: "averaged 30.3 yards on 18 kickoff returns but didn't play the NCAA minimum of games to be among the national leaders... his 100-yard KO return for a TD vs. Towson is the longest KO return in team history"
averaged 30.3 yards on 18 kickoff returns but didn't play the NCAA minimum of games to be among the national leaders... his 100-yard KO return for a TD vs. Towson is the longest KO return in team history.

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=71031&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=795363&Q_SEASON=2008

Actually, since Ramsey quit the team last week (JMU backup corner, I heard he was coming back) that means a lot more reps for McGee at corner, mening he won't be as freah for punt returns as he otherwise would be. I always thought it was generally preferable to have a receiver due your punt returns (as L.C. Baker did last 2-3 seasons) since the defense will have just been on the field and the offensive players will be rested and to have a DB do the kick returns (as McGee has done the last 2 seasons) since the offense will be getting ready to go on the field.

McGee certainly looks like not only JMU's best return man, but along with Rogers of UR, one of the top 2 in the CAA. But is McGee THAT much better than Kerby Long and others that he needs to be returning punts too in addition to kickoffs?

Old Cage
September 8th, 2008, 05:10 PM
How does the loss of Holloman change the equation?

http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/28000729.html

BDKJMU
September 9th, 2008, 01:57 AM
JMU: UMass Crucial
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=31235&CHID=3&sub=

JMU RB Situation: Has 1/2 doz good backs. 4 with prior to 07' starting or significant playing experience. Behind Holloman there hasn't been a clearcut #2 as a # of them have apparently done very well:
1. Holloman: doubtful
2a Sullivan : maybe
2b: Yancey: playing (last season's leading rusher)
2c: Rose: still out
5a: Acker: playing: (Temple transfer looked impressive in mop up work against NCCU
5b: Noble: redshirting after playing as a true freshman last season

Likely will see 2 backs against UMass. So could see
-Holloman/Yancey
or
-Yancey/Sullivan
or
Yancey/Acker

mcveyrl
September 9th, 2008, 08:27 AM
The talk about Holloman sounds a lot like the Landers talk before the ASU playoff game last year.

My guess is that he'll play, but if not, WHAT WAS HE DOING PLAYING AGAINST NCCU!?!?!?

If I had to pick, I'd rather have Holloman against UMass than ASU. If we win this game, the ASU game becomes less important.

EmeryZach
September 12th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Leaving to head down to JMU now. Should be a good game. Let's hope the rain stays away.

mcveyrl
September 12th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Leaving to head down to JMU now. Should be a good game. Let's hope the rain stays away.

We're leaving at 8 in the morning (4 hour drive).

Safe travels! Here's hoping for a good game, too.

mcveyrl
September 12th, 2008, 09:08 AM
TAILGATE NEWS:

UMASS and JMU fans welcome. We will be in one of the lots by the convocation center. Either A, B, or E. We'll have a cornhole board, 4 kids and my son will be wearing a number 11 jersey.

Come by and say hey. Can't promise any extravagant food, but we'll play some cornhole and you can have a beer!

SideLine Shooter
September 12th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Should be a great game. I really hope they both lose. xnodx

bluehenbillk
September 12th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Should be a great game. I really hope they both lose. xnodx

You could root for injuries. xwhistlex

B&G
September 12th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I'll take JMU in this one. I think if they had a better showing against Duke, then people would be picking them overwhelmingly. I tend not to hold a bad day against a bad BCS against a good FCS team. Home field advantage is the difference in this one. As for JMU looking ahead and coming out sluggish? I highly disagree. This is a conference game against a tough team. That'd be like App looking past Georgia Southern. It would never happen.

Kymermosst
September 12th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Any new news on Holloman? Maybe I missed it, but last I heard he was still Doubtful for the game tomorrow.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found this: http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/28258239.html

Holloman probably won't even suit up...

Grizaholic17
September 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I am curious to see the Dukes play. And I am choosing them to win only because they are 3 of 5 at home against UMASS and the Minutemen had a tough time with Holy Cross last weekend. I don't expect it to be much of a nail biter. But I hope it is.

LacesOut
September 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I'm torn on this one. Split right down the middle.

I don't like either teams, but yet I like both teams. So maybe I'll go with JMU, as they have better uni's. Yeah, JMU by a FG. Just hold on to the damn ball!

Grizaholic17
September 12th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I'm torn on this one. Split right down the middle.

I don't like either teams, but yet I like both teams. So maybe I'll go with JMU, as they have better uni's. Yeah, JMU by a FG. Just hold on to the damn ball!

I personally think these look pretty sweet.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/umas/sports/m-footbl/auto_wide/2272496.jpeg

Better than these I think.

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics21/400/RU/RUTOCQIIKOXPCET.20080909125342.jpg

WrenFGun
September 12th, 2008, 12:28 PM
IMO, if JMU loses this game they are in must-win mode in week four against App State. Falling to 1-3 still having to play 'Nova, UD and Richmond would not bode well for JMU, IMO.

Old Cage
September 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I just checked three online betting sites to see if any had a line.

The only one that does - BetUS.com - has UMass as a five point favorite.

DrG
September 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM
That's surprising, because the Sagarin ratings - which these services generally use to set lines on FCS games - have UMass as a 2-point favorite, if you factor in the 3-pt. home field advantage for JMU. Even as a UMass fan, I would say anybody that could get JMU plus 5 should jump on it. I had been hoping JMU might be looking ahead to the App game, but that won't be the case as this is pretty close to a must-win for them.

mcveyrl
September 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM
That's surprising, because the Sagarin ratings - which these services generally use to set lines on FCS games - have UMass as a 2-point favorite, if you factor in the 3-pt. home field advantage for JMU. Even as a UMass fan, I would say anybody that could get JMU plus 5 should jump on it. I had been hoping JMU might be looking ahead to the App game, but that won't be the case as this is pretty close to a must-win for them.

Not to get too much in the betting specifics, but I agree the Sagarin analysis above is spot on. The only thing I can see that would affect that is both team's offense. +5 is only good if the margin is less than a touchdown. I think both teams will score touchdowns and not so many field goals. My guess is the line took that into effect and thinks the margin will be a touchdown, making +5 the sucker bet...

FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!

Umass74
September 12th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Remember the point spread is not the relative strength of the teams. It's the adjustment the book has to make to attract equal bets on both sides.

Teams with fanatic fans who always bet their team have to give more points to attract opposite bettors, and thus screw themselves.

Black Saturday
September 12th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I'll take JMU in this one. I think if they had a better showing against Duke, then people would be picking them overwhelmingly. I tend not to hold a bad day against a bad BCS against a good FCS team. Home field advantage is the difference in this one. As for JMU looking ahead and coming out sluggish? I highly disagree. This is a conference game against a tough team. That'd be like App looking past Georgia Southern. It would never happen.

Did you see Duke's second effort?

SideLine Shooter
September 12th, 2008, 03:41 PM
You could root for injuries. xwhistlex

I don't like to do that. Everybody needs to stay healthy.

Col Hogan
September 12th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Stop by the UMass Alumni Association tent...I'll be starting there to get some food...but I'm going to be wondering all around the place...

I'll leave Northern VA about 9AM...about a two hour drive...

TAILGATE NEWS:

UMASS and JMU fans welcome. We will be in one of the lots by the convocation center. Either A, B, or E. We'll have a cornhole board, 4 kids and my son will be wearing a number 11 jersey.

Come by and say hey. Can't promise any extravagant food, but we'll play some cornhole and you can have a beer!

And I hope to enjoy one of those beers with you, mcveyrl...xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
September 12th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Looks like Holloman ain't playing. I did notice him getting tackled twice by the turf last week, at least one of them would have been a sure TD. Sullivan is a beast though- as long as he holds on to the ball!
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=31362&CHID=3&sub=

BDKJMU
September 12th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Will Coen Keep His Head?
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=31361&CHID=3&sub=

Col Hogan
September 12th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Will Coen Keep His Head?
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=31361&CHID=3&sub=

Simple answer is YES...

JMUSaxMRD
September 13th, 2008, 06:33 AM
It is GAMEDAY! Guess who is psyched?! THE BAND!!!

MRD's practice 830-1030 at Bridgeforth

Warmup 2:00-2:45ish Eagle Hall Courtyard

2:45 play for JMU Duke Club

3:00ish parade into stadium

3:15ish Pregame!

3:30 THE DUKES TAKE ON UMASS (AND WIN!!!)

Guys this game is going to be awesome! It is going to be close, and the 2nd best game of the season (until the playoffs (hopefully)). I can't wait! (Oh yah can't wait for the best game of the season next weekend!)

GO DUKES!!!

Screamin_Eagle174
September 13th, 2008, 08:04 AM
It is GAMEDAY! Guess who is psyched?! THE BAND!!!

MRD's practice 830-1030 at Bridgeforth

Warmup 2:00-2:45ish Eagle Hall Courtyard

2:45 play for JMU Duke Club

3:00ish parade into stadium

3:15ish Pregame!

3:30 THE DUKES TAKE ON UMASS (AND WIN!!!)

Guys this game is going to be awesome! It is going to be close, and the 2nd best game of the season (until the playoffs (hopefully)). I can't wait! (Oh yah can't wait for the best game of the season next weekend!)

GO DUKES!!!

Have fun out there man. I marched the quints/tenors here at EWU for two years... gotta love jammin' out at the tailgaiting. The only reason I quit was because it was killin' my back. Well, that and I couldn't drink during tailgaiting... xbawlingx or the game... xbawlingx xbawlingx

Sam Adams
September 13th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Massachusetts will win the football game.

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Massachusetts will win the football game.

Write it down: JMU WILL WIN!

dennisdent
September 13th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Lets hope the fans win with a great game!

About time to make the drive from NoVA to JMU.

umassfan
September 13th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Write it down: JMU WILL WIN!

Do you use pencil cuz I use pen! :D

hvsader
September 13th, 2008, 12:06 PM
How good is/was Holy Cross?

Maybe a little off topic, but I was asked this very question by a couple of UMass fans as we walked to our cars after the Holy Cross game. Of course the only valid answer at the time was ... "well they just lost to #4 UMass by 3 points in the last second of the game"

Col Hogan
September 13th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Well, I'm here at JMU...it is hot and humid...its going to be an issue...which team has prepared better (water) will benefit...

I'll post occasionally during the game...

I've already met mcveyrl and his family as we walk around the tailgaters...

I'm at the UMass alumni tent right now, enjoying a beer and some good food...

Old Cage
September 13th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Live UMass blog from the field:

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091308aaa.html

Col Hogan
September 13th, 2008, 02:28 PM
National Anthem has been played...awaiting the teams...

Skjellyfetti
September 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Landers looks really good so far.

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 02:52 PM
what a run by sullivan! the instant replay really shows the tough running into the endzone

JMU 7 Umass 0

umassfan
September 13th, 2008, 02:52 PM
we better score alot of points today

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 02:56 PM
coen doesnt thorw it far enough, 4th down

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 02:57 PM
mcgee runs the punt back to the umass 42

umassfan
September 13th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Not too good loosing the center to start the game.... this could get ugly

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 02:59 PM
landers with a 27 yard run

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Okay, the way we're playing on defense and kick coverage, I don't want to see us punting on 4th & 1 ever again.

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:01 PM
landers with a scramble and TD!

Skjellyfetti
Wow... Way too easy for JMU to score.

vaughtdj
jmu up 14 to 0 and still hasnt passed yet.

umassfan
September 13th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Wow im speachless how ****ty we look.

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:05 PM
umass establishing the run game

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:06 PM
umass 3rd and short

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:08 PM
umass 1st down and knocking on the door...

Skjellyfetti
September 13th, 2008, 03:12 PM
good call on that screen.

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:12 PM
coen avoids the blitz with a drop off screen, 3rd and short

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:13 PM
umass gets a tough 1st down

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:15 PM
coen does his best landers impression on the scramble... and gets barely a yard.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Ducasse has his weekly penalty out of the way.

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:16 PM
coen rushed, 4th down, what will they do

oh snap coens shaken up

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:17 PM
umass gets the fg,

JMU 14 UMass 3

minuteman65
September 13th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Vlad ****ing Ducasse. How this guy is still a starter just boggles my mind. I swear, I played with some morons on the O-line in high school, and I don't think they even committed as many penalties as this guy. Inexcusable. Killed us in the BC game last year, destroys at least one drive a game.

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:19 PM
mcGee with another great return and good field position

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:21 PM
sullivanjsut looked like shawn johnson running the ball there. 1st down jmu

vaughtdj
tumblin and cartwheels and whatnot haha

umassfan
why cant we ****ing tackle... this boggles my mind

minuteman65
September 13th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I don't know if UMass will even be in my Top 25 this week.

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 03:23 PM
still very early
umass gettin run all over
JMu ant even pass the ball yet

minuteman65
September 13th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I shudder to think how many TT will put up against us.

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:26 PM
third and 8 for jmu at the umass 40 or so... timeout JMU

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Gotta hold on 3rd & 8.

minuteman65
September 13th, 2008, 03:28 PM
BOOM

That's how you play defense.

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:28 PM
jmu converts the 4th and long wow

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM
boom?

vaughtdj
frankly even i was suprised landers converted that...

alexale23
BOOM that how u convert 4th downs

minuteman65
boom?

Sorry, I got excited that we actually made a tackle.

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:30 PM
jmu 2nd and goal. pounding the ball again

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 03:30 PM
TDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDddddddddDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

minuteman65
September 13th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I'm thinking 63-10?

vaughtdj
landers with another keeper... and TD.

JMU 21 UMass3

alexale23
RUnning game hard to beat today

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:33 PM
umass offense needs to do something here before the half is over.

umassfan
September 13th, 2008, 03:34 PM
BOOM

That's how you play defense.

you happy we played D for 1 play?

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM
umass has another 3 and out... coen was rushed again

minuteman65
you happy we played D for 1 play?

Yeah, I assumed that we could handle 4th and 9...

Can't even play offense. xnonono2x

alexale23
Punt time baby
Im a little dissapointed in umass QB thought he could throw better

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 03:36 PM
UMass 3 and out. Last chance, defense. Show some signs of life.

umassfan
September 13th, 2008, 03:36 PM
wow we look bad on both sides of the ball... i dont even wana watch this.

minuteman65
September 13th, 2008, 03:38 PM
WOW... two straight plays of less than 20 yards!

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:38 PM
jmu with a 3 and out, will punt to umass

umassfan
September 13th, 2008, 03:40 PM
im shocked we stoped them... ill be really shocked if we score on this drive

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 03:41 PM
dam nice run

Jackman
Nelson to the 1!

minuteman65
NELSON to the 1!

vaughtdj
nelson breaks away... umass 1st and goal at the one

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:42 PM
you guys ahve a better run game than i thought...

minuteman65
September 13th, 2008, 03:44 PM
TD UMASS

vaughtdj
nelson finally gets the TD...

JMU 21 UMass 10

alexale23
yeh nelson looks good.

umassfan
September 13th, 2008, 03:45 PM
We just need to figure out our D and special teams... but i dont expect that any time soon.

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 03:45 PM
JMU gotta answer

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 03:47 PM
they never pass the dam ball

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 03:48 PM
playin to conservative you got 2 minutes left in half u gotta go for some points

minuteman65
September 13th, 2008, 03:49 PM
playin to conservative you got 2 minutes left in half u gotta go for some points

With UMass's defense, they don't need to pass.

Skjellyfetti
September 13th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Anyone know how many yards Landers has so far? Seems like he's close to on pace to break Armanti's QB rushing record.

alexale23
yeh baby TDDDDDDDDDD I wanna see more throws SPREAD EM OUT

minuteman65
Are you serious?!

Jackman
Apparently they can do whatever they want. :(

whitey
September 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Landers can throw imo.

umassfan
when its bad its bad its raining and pouring like crazy for umass today

vaughtdj
landers drops a bomb on the them ohh baby... he dropped a bomb on them...

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 03:55 PM
JMU 28 UMass 10

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Anyone know how many yards Landers has so far? Seems like he's close to on pace to break Armanti's QB rushing record.

I think hes got around 120 not sure

PICK BABY

jmu_duke07
Landers can throw imo.

When JMU is hot... Then they are hot! But, to bad it works the other way as well

GO JMU!

minuteman65
How much worse can it get?!

alexale23
when its bad its bad its raining and pouring like crazy for umass today

IT IS POURING TODAY

minuteman65
September 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM
This is horrible.

vaughtdj
fg for JMU! wow what an end to the half!

JMU 31 UMass 10

umassfan
Everything is going JMUs way today.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Really hard to believe that we returned 8 starters to the defense that led the CAA last season. But it looks like the crappy UMass defense that showed up in the first two games is what we really are.

ASU_MBA
September 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM
i hope for our sake UMass is overrated.....if not next Sat. might be a long day......

umassfan
September 13th, 2008, 04:04 PM
i hope for our sake UMass is overrated.....if not next Sat. might be a long day......

JMU looks to be playing at the top of their game today. I expect them to roll over App next week at home.

JMUFortier
September 13th, 2008, 04:08 PM
JMU looks to be playing at the top of their game today. I expect them to roll over App next week at home.

Last year was a back and forth struggle. Both teams will be pumped and I don't expect this much of a halftime lead against ASU. I am surprised about this lead to tell you the truth.

Tod
September 13th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Wow, JMU!! xeekx xeekx xeekx

ASUG8
September 13th, 2008, 04:11 PM
JMU looking good - too good.

I'm starting to get even more worred about 9/20. Good looking team, Dukes.xthumbsupx

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I think Mickey is gonna need to pass more next week to throw asu D off.

Col Hogan
September 13th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Defense & Special Teams have killed us so far...and Coen's INT just crushed spirits...I could see it as they walked off at the half...

The JMU student section was chanting "Over-rated"...they just may be right...

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Umass not lookin like a #3 team top 25 yeah. But JMU as far as Im comcerned is the #2 team in the country ASU #1 of course

umassfan
September 13th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Last year was a back and forth struggle. Both teams will be pumped and I don't expect this much of a halftime lead against ASU. I am surprised about this lead to tell you the truth.

I wouldnt be too suprised... our team looks to be in sleepwalk mode so far this season. The D only lost 4 starters but guess they were very key players because this doesnt even look like the same team.

BeauFoster
September 13th, 2008, 04:19 PM

JMU has yet to pick up a weak side blitz. If ASU's corners can actually cover JMU's receivers for more than 3 seconds, Landers will be on his butt if he tries to throw. I also believe that ASU's DEs are 10x quicker than UMass' DEs. I won't predict an ASU win, but I will predict that JMU won't roll over ASU.

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 04:21 PM
No way Jmu going to roll ASU next week. AE is a game changer kohen has done almost nothing this game. AE will move the ball.

jmu_duke07
September 13th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Goes to show how babied UMASS is in the CAA North!!! xnonox

alexale23
HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SECOND HALF

alexale23
still pouring

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I reckon the CAA North will score on us too this year.

UMass starts the second half by kicking out of bounds.

Minuteman2012
September 13th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Come on UMass. Defense is looking like shi* again.

BTW is anyone else here living in Amherst or near it? Im actually at UMass right now in my dorm and I cant get the game on TV. Dont we get CN8?

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I mean dam u know the runs coming.

ERASU2113
September 13th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Regardless of what happens next week........how about that talk starts up later in the week?

Beisdes Alex...shouldn't you be on the smack forum?

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 04:26 PM
dont worry i wll be

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Smack will commence as soon as clock hits 0000

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 04:27 PM
JMU to punt. UMass D helped by a clipping penalty.

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 04:27 PM
jmu forced to punt

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
go the cn8 website and you can view it through their live stream

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Offense showing some fire, UMass to the 20.

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM
umasss moving the ball now

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 04:31 PM
TD UMASS

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 04:31 PM
coen passes for a td... Umass says were not done yet.

JMU 31 UMass 17

Minuteman2012
September 13th, 2008, 04:32 PM
hell yes. nice drive umass

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Offsides on the kickoff. Again. Some more.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 04:36 PM
JMU will start on their 30.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM
3rd & long coming.

Minuteman2012
September 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM
SACK!!!!! LET'S GO UMASS!!!!

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 04:40 PM
JMU to punt. Fans booing a bit that JMU didn't pass on 3rd & long.

alexale23
mickey need to mix it up teams adjust to run run run run run run run run

alexale23
this game far from over

Minuteman2012
September 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM
JMU to punt. Fans booing a bit that JMU didn't pass on 3rd & long.

Looking better. Im watching the game but no audio

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 04:43 PM
3rd & 10 UMass on their 30.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM
False start prevents JMU pick. Still 3rd down.

Jackman
Punting.

Minuteman2012
sooo close. nice pass

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM
MCGEEEEEEEEEEE

Jackman
Punt coverage does their usual terrible job, JMU deep in UMass territory.

vaughtdj
coen is jacked again and overthrows. umass punts and...

mcgee almost runs it back again!

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 04:46 PM
WE NEED TO ANSWER HERE

umassfan
we fill bad lanes on special teams. I dont think I have ever seen a special teams play this bad... and I mean ANY team

Jackman
JMU 1st & goal on the 1.

vaughtdj
wow what a run!

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 04:47 PM
LANDERS GOING TO RUN IT IN AGAIN

alexale23
YANCEY TDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

umassfan
WOW that D was so weak... I could have made that run

vaughtdj
jmu responds with a td run by yancey...

JMU 38 UMass 17

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 04:48 PM
JMU TD
38-17

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 04:49 PM
The problem with any hope of a UMass comeback, is that then we're forced to play kick coverage.

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 04:49 PM
The problem with any hope of a UMass comeback, is that then we're forced to play kick coverage.

haha

umassfan
September 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM

And Defense

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 04:51 PM
cohen lookin better

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Unless JMU has abandoned defending the run, we need to stand & throw. Not gonna get enough time to catch up the way we're playing D.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
1st & goal UMass on the 2.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM
TD - JMU 38-24

And now we have to kickoff...

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Kickoff out of bounds.
Could be worse, I guess.

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 05:07 PM
huge 3rd down conversion on 3rd and 3

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 05:07 PM
landers is sucha beast...

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 05:08 PM
End of 3 quarters.
JMU 38-24
Dukes with the ball on about the UMass 38.

dgreco
September 13th, 2008, 05:09 PM
End of 3 quarters.
JMU 38-24
Dukes with the ball on about the UMass 38.

making a comeback

umassfan
September 13th, 2008, 05:10 PM
making a comeback

No our offense showed up but the D and Special teams are still MIA

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 05:11 PM
We've had our chances, keep screwing up.

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 05:11 PM
WRAP YOUR ****ING ARMS WHEN YOU TACKLE

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM
landers looks like tebow, and i mean that seriously

alexale23
DID SOME1SAY BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTT

dgreco
No our offense showed up but the D and Special teams are still MIA

hopefully they get their **** together then.

vaughtdj
dukes knocking on the door (again)

vaughtdj
September 13th, 2008, 05:13 PM
landers is freezing the DEs

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 05:14 PM
D has been in position to make plays in the 2nd half. They're just not making them.

jmu_duke07
September 13th, 2008, 05:15 PM
landers looks like tebow, and i mean that seriously

Most likely a better runner but still lacks the passing...

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 05:16 PM
3rd & goal, need a stop.

alexale23
I hear a QB SNEAK COMIN

UNH_BLUE
Wow. The UMASS D is like butter.

alexale23
nope TD YANCEY AGAIN

Any1 know if holloman playin next week

whitey
September 13th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Nice 6 or 7 minute drive right there ending in the TD.

vaughtdj
TD Dukes!

JMU 45 UMass 24

umassfan
Most likely a better runner but still lacks the passing...

He didnt do very much vs Duke so lets not go that far

Jackman
Maybe we should have been doing onsides kicks.

alexale23

Really you should know that Holy Cross put up 40 on you what you expect from JMU

umassfan
September 13th, 2008, 05:18 PM

Its looking sorta like the UNH D but we are playing JMU not URI

whitey
September 13th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Maybe we should have been doing onsides kicks.

That strategy works for me in Madden sometimes.

alexale23
September 13th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I smell a pick coming soon

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Announcer clearly hasn't seen the UMass defense in the first 2 games.

UNH_BLUE
September 13th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Its looking sorta like the UNH D but we are playing JMU not URI

Your D doesn't look at all like New Hampshire.

At least when someone ran into a UNH defender, UNH took him down.

JMU is just bouncing off of your team's alligator arms.

umassfan
September 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Cant stop VICTOR CRUZ

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Coen to Cruz long TD, 45-31

I say kick onsides.

umassfan
September 13th, 2008, 05:26 PM
If our offense played any kind of first half this would be a shootout

Jackman
September 13th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Straight kickoff, good tackle. JMU on their 25.