PDA

View Full Version : Biggest surprises from Week 2

BisonBacker
September 7th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I was somewhat surprised by a few scores.

SDSU & Youngstown didn't think YSU would get pounded like that.

UNI VS USD Didn't think it would be that good, has USD improved that much or is UNI overrated?

UNC hanging as tough as they did against Purdue.

Not a huge surprise but I really thought Poly would handle Montana, congrats to the Montana team.

Thoughts?

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Sacramento State's showing against Colorado State...

The collapse of Texas State-San Marcos QB Bradley George against SMU...

The benching of Bobby Reid and the total annihilation of Texas Southern by Arkansas State...

Superneck
September 7th, 2008, 09:34 AM
How about Div II Washburn over Missouri State in MSU's house?

BisonBacker
September 7th, 2008, 09:41 AM
How about Div II Washburn over Missouri State in MSU's house?

No smack intended but was that really a surprise?

Houndawg
September 7th, 2008, 09:45 AM

:D ooooooooooooooooooohh

Ronbo
September 7th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I was somewhat surprised by a few scores.

SDSU & Youngstown didn't think YSU would get pounded like that.

UNI VS USD Didn't think it would be that good, has USD improved that much or is UNI overrated?

UNC hanging as tough as they did against Purdue.

Not a huge surprise but I really thought Poly would handle Montana, congrats to the Montana team.

Thoughts?

Thanks backer. I'm telling you, there were many doubts with how young we are. 16 freshmen made the trip and looking at the stats they played quite a bit. A senior QB and veteran O-line made the win possible.

catamount man
September 7th, 2008, 10:05 AM

The benching of Bobby Reid and the total annihilation of Texas Southern by Arkansas State...

I'm glad Bobby Reid's ego just shot down a few notches by his own coach and Arkansas State. He deserves it after pouting off about Mike Gundy, a coach who was DEFENDING him last year via that rant after the TT game. Bobby Reid couldn't handle the fact that he wasn't the man at OKIE ST. Can't wait to see how he reacts to TX SO's coach benching him.xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2008, 10:08 AM
UNI shot temselves in the foot with 2 missed field goals and 2 stupid INTs that shouldn't have been thrown. USD was a good team with a very mobile QB, but the game shouldn't have been that close.

Thundar
September 7th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks backer. I'm telling you, there were many doubts with how young we are. 16 freshmen made the trip and looking at the stats they played quite a bit. A senior QB and veteran O-line made the win possible.

Congrats to Montana, I did pick poly by a TD, but sounded like it was a good game!

EmeryZach
September 7th, 2008, 10:11 AM
That the UMass Defense gave up 42 points to Holy Cross and looked like Swiss Cheese.

blackfordpu
September 7th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Yea, what happened there? Tx State had a chance to go into SMU and defeat them as they are still in a little disarray from the changes in the off season.

BisonBacker
September 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM
That the UMass Defense gave up 42 points to Holy Cross and looked like Swiss Cheese.

Yeah this one should have been on my list, I kept seeing the score updates and thought holy cow. Congrats to Holy Cross though sounds like they could create lots of problems for some teams this year.

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 7th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Yea, what happened there? Tx State had a chance to go into SMU and defeat them as they are still in a little disarray from the changes in the off season.

we should have started the backup who, when he finally came in, threw an int but ended up having a GREAT game.

too bad george gave the 'stangs some TOs early...

Cocky
September 7th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Holy Cross
Austin Peay
Youngstown State
Hampton
New Hampshire

mlbowl
September 7th, 2008, 10:50 AM

That definitely surprised me tooxnodx

MSUBear42
September 7th, 2008, 10:50 AM

You realize you're making a ton of people HATE NDSU, right?

katstrapper
September 7th, 2008, 11:06 AM
You realize you're making a ton of people HATE NDSU, right?

Why would you hate on NDSU? Maybe you should direct that hatred to the lackluster performance your team had versus the Fighting Ichabods of Washburn University...xnodx xlolx

BisonBacker
September 7th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I think you are over reacting. A ton of people? I'm sorry that you have a team that is struggling but the fact remains it was a valid question. If you don't like to face up to the fact that your team has been an underachiever that's too bad. You are the same person who started a thread on the Missouri State board mad about how NDSU was getting respect and you were pissed about it. Now you are mad that your team isn't getting any. If you fielded a competetive team you might get the respect you want. In the meantime I maintain that the loss wasn't that big of a surprise. Hope your team proves me wrong and you start playing better so as not to have the MVFC rank be hurt because of a few teams who's play stinks up the field every saturday. If you can't face reality don't read the message boards.

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I'm glad Bobby Reid's ego just shot down a few notches by his own coach and Arkansas State. He deserves it after pouting off about Mike Gundy, a coach who was DEFENDING him last year via that rant after the TT game. Bobby Reid couldn't handle the fact that he wasn't the man at OKIE ST. Can't wait to see how he reacts to TX SO's coach benching him.xthumbsupx

We'll see if Reid plays next week. They play in California against Shaw in a 'Classic' which should be TSU's first legitimate chance to get a win this season. Reid is going to have to 'man up' if he wants to do anything this year...

This will be a test for Reid. If he comes out garbage against Shaw, we can all consider him done if you ask me...xrulesx

BisonBacker
September 7th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Why would you hate on NDSU? Maybe you should direct that hatred to the lackluster performance your team had versus the Fighting Ichabods of Washburn University...xnodx xlolx

Thank you for a reasonable post. xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx Some fans just like to take it out on others when they should be looking at their own team and coaches.

GrizDen
September 7th, 2008, 11:18 AM
The biggest surprise for me came with the close game that Sac State gave Colorado State. Not that loosing should ever be considered a win, but that effort on the road could be a sign that Sac State is continuing the momentum from the close tough battles they had last season. If they can start pulling out some W's in those, that will be a real sign that strong progress is being made with their program.

MSUBear42
September 7th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I don't care what you have to say, all I was saying is what's the point in dogging another conference team when they had their worst loss in 11 years? What good does it do?

That said, this loss could not possibly be more embarassing, and I Know (hope) we will bounce back and still have a winning season. Don't let this game shade your opinion on this Bears team.

BisonBacker
September 7th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I don't care what you have to say, all I was saying what's the point in dogging another conference team when they had their worst loss in 11 years? What good does it do?

Man, I can say for sure the trip to NDSU will be one I will never make.

Hey that's your choice, I doubt you would have made it anyway. Believe me when I say that I would rather the Bears field a great team it only helps the conference. You take legit questions as dogging your team when the fact it it bothers you that your team is struggling mightly right now and you get mad at fans of other schools who point it out. I think you had a chip on your shoulder before the season even started as is evidenced by the thread you started on the bears message board. You don't like the idea that a new comer to the league could be better then your bears. I think the SDSU Youngstown game is indicative of what you can expect of the XDSU's so if you didn't like it before you surely won't like it after we play. NDSU and SDSU will likely roll the Bears but we will see. Either way I'm not worried about a sellout of the dome the bears visit we welcome fans of other teams to Fargo but not those who like to bitch before we ever have played a conference game. You want respect have your team earn it on the field. Don't bitch to me or any other teams fans who field a competitve team. Your complaining will all on deaf ears. Take a lesson from the YSU fans, Capn Cat has really dogged them and they realize they need to improve. They aren't starting threads on thier board about how mad they are that the XDSU's are getting respect they are mad they have a team that isn't playing well. I suggest you talk to your AD and tell him you want the bears to get the respect the XDSU's are getting and have him work on turning the MSU program around.
Lastly you obviously do care what other fans say or you wouldn't have started that thread and you wouldn't be hating on NDSU for having a good team.xcoffeex

MSUBear42
September 7th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Sorry, I was talking out of my a$$ earlier... Just really depressing when you lose to a D2 'buy out' game on your home field. No disrespect meant to NDSU fans.

Jealousy, no... well, maybe slightly ;) :)

Go MVFC

BisonBacker
September 7th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Sorry, I was talking out of my a$$ earlier... Just really depressing when you lose to a D2 'buy out' game on your home field. No disrespect meant to NDSU fans.

Jealousy, no... well, maybe slightly ;) :)

Go MVFC

No problem at all. I hope you guys rebound next week xthumbsupx

MSUBear42
September 7th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks man. I can't wait to watch NDSU in person later this season. Maybe we'll play better than a HS team by then!

Reign of Terrier
September 7th, 2008, 02:23 PM
CSU dominated Wofford in time of possession by more than 15 minutes....and lost and had 100 yards less than the terriers.

DaBears
September 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM
If you can't face reality don't read the message boards.

The reality is that Montana and NDSU fans have the little man syndrome and they constantly need to attempt to compensate for their inadequacies by running other schools down. All I can say is thank god for Appalachian State University dominating the FCS because it would be intolerable if UM or NDSU were half as good as they think they are.

CopperCat
September 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM
The reality is that Montana and NDSU fans have the little man syndrome and they constantly need to attempt to compensate for their inadequacies by running other schools down. All I can say is thank god for Appalachian State University dominating the FCS because it would be intolerable if UM or NDSU were half as good as they think they are.

Well, UM happened to win a rather big game this weekend against a team that was considered to be better than them ON THE ROAD. I'd say that UM is as good as they say they are.

And dunno about you, but I'm pretty sick of one team winning the NC all the time. Hopefully somebody else comes out of the woodwork to challenge ASU.

GrizDen
September 7th, 2008, 02:45 PM

I won't speak for NDSU, but Montana fans and alumni far from suffer the "little man syndrome" in which you speak of.

It's been said many times before on this site, there are a few annoying fans from every school. When I'm reading the posts on AGS, I get the feeling that most Griz fans are being as truthful about their opinions (right or wrong, credited or uncredited) as they feel. Case in point, most Griz fans felt that Cal-Poly would win on Saturday. Personally, I try to take the Maroon and Silver glasses off when reading these posts.

Honest question: Could your level of contempt be that UNC is no longer the Big Bear of D-II but a small bear in FCS?

GrizDen
September 7th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Well, UM happened to win a rather big game this weekend against a team that was considered to be better than them ON THE ROAD. I'd say that UM is as good as they say they are.

And dunno about you, but I'm pretty sick of one team winning the NC all the time. Hopefully somebody else comes out of the woodwork to challenge ASU.

Agreed 100% ....see who says Griz and Cats can't get along? xnodx xpeacex

slycat
September 7th, 2008, 02:48 PM

I never thought he should have started. Makes me think we had a good chance to win the game if he hadn't.

skinny_uncle
September 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Indiana State managed to not lose to bye.
:D

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2008, 05:00 PM
The PL had a great weekend. Holy Cross lost a thriller to UMASS but everyone else went unbeaten against all FCS teams.

JALMOND
September 7th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Big surprise for me (homer pick-I will stay within my conference) was that both Eastern Washington and Sac State were within a late 4th quarter turnover from sending both games against Colorado and Colorado State into overtime. Not too shabby for Big Sky conference schools not named Montana.

Cat79
September 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM
TexasTerror,

You need to pull your head out of you A--. You are jealous because Texas State has played SMU closer than Sam Houston. What was it SMU 56 Sam Houston 14?

Team Statistics (Final)
2008 Texas State Football
Texas State vs SMU (Sep 06, 2008 at Dallas, Texas)

TXST SMU

FIRST DOWNS................... 26 19
Rushing..................... 10 4
Passing..................... 15 14
Penalty..................... 1 1
NET YARDS RUSHING.............233 61
Rushing Attempts............ 47 17
Average Per Rush............ 5.0 3.6
Rushing Touchdowns.......... 1 1
Yards Gained Rushing........ 259 82
Yards Lost Rushing.......... 26 21
NET YARDS PASSING............ 232 370
Completions-Attempts-Int... 20-31-2 24-37-0
Average Per Attempt......... 7.5 10.0
Average Per Completion...... 11.6 15.4
Passing Touchdowns.......... 4 5
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS.......... 465 431
Total offense plays......... 78 54
Average Gain Per Play....... 6.0 8.0
Fumbles: Number-Lost.......... 4-3 2-0
Penalties: Number-Yards....... 8-35 6-47
PUNTS-YARDS................... 0-0 2-110
Average Yards Per Punt...... 0.0 55.0
Net Yards Per Punt.......... 0.0 42.5
Inside 20................... 0 0
50+ Yards................... 0 2
Touchbacks.................. 0 1
Fair catch.................. 0 0
KICKOFFS-YARDS................ 7-273 8-483
Average Yards Per Kickoff... 39.0 60.4
Net Yards Per Kickoff....... 29.3 39.2
Touchbacks.................. 0 1
Punt returns: Number-Yards-TD. 1-5-0 0-0-0
Average Per Return.......... 5.0 0.0
Kickoff returns: Number-Yds-TD 7-149-0 6-68-0
Average Per Return.......... 21.3 11.3
Interceptions: Number-Yds-TD.. 0-0-0 2-15-0
Fumble Returns: Number-Yds-TD. 0-0-0 1-5-0
Miscellaneous Yards........... 0 0
Possession Time............... 34:33 25:27
1st Quarter................. 7:50 7:10
2nd Quarter................. 11:54 3:06
3rd Quarter................. 6:56 8:04
4th Quarter................. 7:53 7:07
Third-Down Conversions........ 12 of 15 7 of 12
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 1 of 1 0 of 0
Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 5-5 3-4
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 2-17 1-0
PAT Kicks..................... 3-5 6-6
Field Goals................... 1-1 1-2

BEAR
September 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Finding out today that most people who are native to Arkansas came from the Appalachian Mountain areas! Crap! No wonder UCA is so hot, hot, hot....I mean good! xlolx (Yeah, props to Appalachian state xthumbsupx ) Not being a local myself, I always wondered where the fire came from...xlolx

My surprise was the ASU v. Texas Southern game. 83 - 10 and they quit passing in the first half?? xconfusedx

BisonBacker
September 7th, 2008, 07:46 PM

The reality is that you are a fan of a team that has had a dismal move up in so many aspects. NDSU fans didn't have anything to do with that it was your schools administration as well as the coaches teams and players. So you get pissed off at fans of NDSU, at least MSUBears42 manned up about the situation and gave props and just admitted he's tired of the bears coming up short or the excuses the administration or coaches have given for the problems. I have way more respect for him for that then I do for a fan of a team who's record is less then stellar on and off the field then takes it out on fans of other schools. If you want to cry a river do it somewhere else or better yet go over and do it on the bears board. NDSU may have a few overzealous fans but I'd rather that then have a bunch of whiners who take out their teams problems on fans from other schools.

BisonBacker
September 7th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I won't speak for NDSU, but Montana fans and alumni far from suffer the "little man syndrome" in which you speak of.

It's been said many times before on this site, there are a few annoying fans from every school. When I'm reading the posts on AGS, I get the feeling that most Griz fans are being as truthful about their opinions (right or wrong, credited or uncredited) as they feel. Case in point, most Griz fans felt that Cal-Poly would win on Saturday. Personally, I try to take the Maroon and Silver glasses off when reading these posts.

Honest question: Could your level of contempt be that UNC is no longer the Big Bear of D-II but a small bear in FCS?

Bingo we have a winner xwhistlex

G.S.Green
September 7th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Holy Cross
Austin Peay
Youngstown State
Hampton
New Hampshire

No one, and I mean no one, was looking for Hampton to give SIU the game they got in Carbondale. That was easily the one of the best games of the day. SIU went up 20-0 and had to hang on down the stretch. Look for more good things to come after they get their running game situated. Maybe that's why we can't get a game from Bill & Mary or JMU?

GrizDen
September 7th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by GrizDen

Bingo we have a winner xwhistlex

My question above was for DaBears and I'll add another one to it. Answer this, did you have more pride in the football program at UNC when you won back to back National Championships at D-II with Joe Glenn or the program of present that has had very few and far between wins since UNC has moved up to FCS?

BisonBacker
September 7th, 2008, 08:05 PM
On I know who it was intended for and I was just giving you props for nailing the answer without really having to wait for a reply.
I should also say that NDSU fans certainly don't suffer from little man syndrome, as a matter of fact I think that comment could be turned around to DaBears and a few other UNC posters.xcoffeex

Ronbo
September 7th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by GrizDen

My question above was for DaBears and I'll add another one to it. Answer this, did you have more pride in the football program at UNC when you won back to back National Championships at D-II with Joe Glenn or the program of present that has had very few and far between wins since UNC has moved up to FCS?

Ask that question to NDSU and SDSU. Some programs are committed to excellence no matter whet level they rise to.