PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown St. vs. SDSU

89rabbit
September 7th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Here is a story about last night's game:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080907/SPORTS0202/809070329&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Jacks charge into Valley
SDSU routs Youngstown St. to kick off conference play in new conference opener

Terry Vandrovec • [email protected] • September 7, 2008

http://cmsimg.argusleader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DF&Date=20080907&Category=SPORTS0202&ArtNo=809070329&Ref=AR&MaxW=318&Border=0

BROOKINGS - South Dakota State's first-ever game in the renowned Missouri Valley Football Conference turned out to be more of a welcome party than an initiation ceremony.

The No. 21-ranked Jackrabbits put up 27 points and almost 300 yards in the first half in rolling to a 40-7 victory Saturday night against No. 14 Youngstown State - one of the perennial powers in what is arguably the best league in the Football Championship Subdivision - before a Cereal Bowl-record crowd of 11,832 at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

The win was SDSU's sixth against a top-25 team in four-plus seasons at the NCAA Division I level, and certainly the most emphatic. It was also the most lopsided triumph by a Valley newcomer since the league was chartered in 1985. . . . (read more)

Great win for my Rabbits!

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 7th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Congrats to the Jacks. The SU schools are going to do very well in this conference. YSU is not over-rated....Jacks are just good.

I thought the Jacks would win but now an old-fashion beat down.

Go Jacks........see ya in Nov in the FFD.

Tribe4SF
September 7th, 2008, 08:20 AM
YSU has been overrated by many. I've had the Jacks ranked ahead of them this year.

89rabbit
September 7th, 2008, 08:21 AM
From Ohio:

YSU fell behind 27-0 in its first Missouri Valley game, losing 40-7.

By PETE MOLLICA

VINDICATOR SPORTS STAFF

BROOKINGS, S.D. — Saturday’s 40-7 loss certainly wasn’t what the Youngstown State football team was expecting for a opener in the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

The Penguins, coming off a 43-0 rout to Ohio State last week, suffered more of the same before 11,832 fans at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium as South Dakota State steamrolled the Penguins.

YSU (0-2) never was in the game, falling behind 27-0 in the first half. And even when it scored its first touchdown of the season in the third quarter, things never turned in the Penguins’ favor. . . . (read more)

Neckfansince71
September 7th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Welcome to the Valley Jacks! If last year's game at Macomb is any indication of this weeks game, then you are going to have one heck of a ball game at the Cereal Bowl! I think both teams are pretty darn good!

jc

Mountain Panther
September 7th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I frickin love SDSU's uniforms....very basic and classy...a lot like Delaware's old ones.

http://cmsimg.argusleader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DF&Date=20080907&Category=SPORTS0202&ArtNo=809070329&Ref=AR&MaxW=318&Border=0

cowbellnation
September 7th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Welcome to the Valley Jacks! If last year's game at Macomb is any indication of this weeks game, then you are going to have one heck of a ball game at the Cereal Bowl! I think both teams are pretty darn good!

jc

Actually Necks you are playing in the Beef Bowl.

GrizDen
September 7th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Congrats to the Jacks. The SU schools are going to do very well in this conference. YSU is not over-rated....Jacks are just good.

I thought the Jacks would win but now an old-fashion beat down.

Go Jacks........see ya in Nov in the FFD.

I'd be curious to learn what your definition of over-rated is then. Sure, this game was on the road, but if the Penguins were truly deserving of their number 14 ranking, they wouldn't loose by 33 points xeekx

Congrats on a big first official win in the Gateway by SDSU.

MSUBear42
September 7th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Wow, that's the score I expected from NDSU, not SDSU.

Welcome to the Valley!

sikolec
September 7th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Congrats SDSU! You were always a tough game in the Great West. Glad we scheduled you this year as well (that is, if we win xnodx )

Past two years haven't been the right score (2007- CP 35-48 SDSU 2006- CP 28-29 SDSU) See you Oct. 18th!

Hammerhead
September 7th, 2008, 12:19 PM
The Bunnies were the only team to beat NDSU last year and they look to be good again.

JackTwice
September 7th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Traditionally this was the type of game the Jacks would lose. This is why I think the attendance was down. This team appears to be for real and could make some noise in the MVFC. The next two weeks will be very telling for the rabbits.

Benne
September 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM
1st SDSU game I've been to in a while. That Minnett runs hard. They looked good.

skinny_uncle
September 7th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Impressive start for SDSU.

GoGuins
September 7th, 2008, 08:22 PM
YSU is overrated, I see only 3-4 wins this year. Heacock needs to go

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2008, 08:28 PM
YSU is overrated, I see only 3-4 wins this year. Heacock needs to go

Il St, In St, Mo St....who do you have left for ooc?

stevdock
September 7th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Il St, In St, Mo St....who do you have left for ooc?

They have Central St. and Liberty left for OOC. So he might not be far off if that's a sign of things to come.

ysubigred
September 8th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Here's what I put in another post about the YSU vs SDSU game;

xbawlingx As I predicted We're not good. Until we get a new Head Coach/coaching staff and/or an AD this type of game is what can be expected from Y-Town xrulesx Not taking away anything from the Jacks. They did their home work and played a great game xbowx

RabidRabbit
September 8th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Jacks came ready to play, dominate, and show that they're a good addition to the conference.

I expected this to be a much tougher game. Penguins need to get a leader at QB, and with 3 different QBs vs Rabbits, there is no leader on the Penguin offense.

What was bragged up for the Penguins was the defense, especially line. Four pass plays for over 30 yds, two running backs with 200+ yds means the defense got hammered. Jacks were over 500 yds total offense for the day.

Next week vs Western ILL will be the litmus test on "ARE THE JACKS THAT GOOD?"

For this week, Jacks were light years ahead of the Penguins.

UNIFanSince1983
September 8th, 2008, 10:10 AM
After SDSU's first game against Iowa State I wasn't sure what to expect from them. After this game I realize the bye week comes at a great time for us. It means we get an extra week to correct some problems that we found we had against USD. I do look forward to a great game in the Dome in two weeks when the Jacks come to town. And this victory over Youngstown was very impressive, even if people say Youngstown is down a down year for a traditionally good team could still be a descent year for most teams.

89rabbit
September 8th, 2008, 10:23 AM
After SDSU's first game against Iowa State I wasn't sure what to expect from them. After this game I realize the bye week comes at a great time for us. It means we get an extra week to correct some problems that we found we had against USD. I do look forward to a great game in the Dome in two weeks when the Jacks come to town.

I too am looking forward to another trip to the UNIDome. Should be fun, but first things first the Leathernecks come to Brookings this week! Our first 4 weeks are brutal. xeekx

elcid96
September 8th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I will be really surprised if YSU is in the top 25 this week.

BisonBacker
September 8th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I will be really surprised if YSU is in the top 25 this week.
I had them drop out of my poll. Listed as biggest loss of the week.

ysubigred
September 8th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I had them drop out of my poll. Listed as biggest loss of the week.

Funny, I started the year as YSU in 28th xnonono2x Life's hard I guess I'll go buy a helmet xbawlingx

Ronin
September 8th, 2008, 01:46 PM
After SDSU's first game against Iowa State I wasn't sure what to expect from them. After this game I realize the bye week comes at a great time for us. It means we get an extra week to correct some problems that we found we had against USD. I do look forward to a great game in the Dome in two weeks when the Jacks come to town. And this victory over Youngstown was very impressive, even if people say Youngstown is down a down year for a traditionally good team could still be a descent year for most teams.

How true. I was actually hopeful for a better showing against ISU for the Jacks, but it's hard to throw 5 interceptions and stay competitive.

Welcome to the Valley -- should be an interesting game in two weeks.

Houndawg
September 8th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Our first 4 weeks are brutal. xeekx

Tell me about it - Hampton, @Northwestern, UNI, @NDSU.xpeacex

ysubigred
September 8th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Jacks came ready to play, dominate, and show that they're a good addition to the conference.

1. I expected this to be a much tougher game. Penguins need to get a leader at QB, and with 3 different QBs vs Rabbits, there is no leader on the Penguin offense.

2. What was bragged up for the Penguins was the defense, especially line. Four pass plays for over 30 yds, two running backs with 200+ yds means the defense got hammered. Jacks were over 500 yds total offense for the day.

1. The leadership starts on the sidlines and the HC believes he's a high school coach or something. Revolving QB's, playing upper classmen eventhough they may not be the best choice etc... xconfusedx

2. YSU has two players on "D" that have any accolades preseason and one of them did not play (injury). If your "D" has to be on the field most of the time yes your going to get hammerd xpeacex

jmc_jackrabbit
September 10th, 2008, 05:53 PM
SDSU vs. Youngstown game highlights on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUN0KQbwJi4

Jacks02
September 10th, 2008, 09:20 PM

Nice!

ysubigred
September 11th, 2008, 06:35 AM

WOW!! You all made us look real bad xbawlingx First time I seen some YSU video all year and if it don't get any better than that it'll probably be the last. xeekx It's just to painful to watch or listen anymore. I know you can't win every year but it's getting tuff to stomach xnonox

AshevilleApp2
September 11th, 2008, 06:54 AM
WOW!! You all made us look real bad xbawlingx First time I seen some YSU video all year and if it don't get any better than that it'll probably be the last. xeekx It's just to painful to watch or listen anymore. I know you can win every year but it's getting tuff to stomach xnonox

Bring back Jim Tressel!

ysubigred
September 11th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Bring back Jim Tressel!

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbabycryx xdizzyx

AshevilleApp2
September 11th, 2008, 07:02 AM
xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbabycryx xdizzyx

:o Couldn't resist that one. Ya'll had the greatest decade in Division history in the 1990's.

ysubigred
September 11th, 2008, 07:05 AM
:o Couldn't resist that one. Ya'll had the greatest decade in Division history in the 1990's.

Probably why we're just a little spoiled. Your App's are picking up the torch quite well xbowx

89rabbit
September 11th, 2008, 10:30 AM

Love the giant rabbit on the 50 yrd. line! xthumbsupx

UNI Pike
September 11th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I don't mean this as smack, but that field is looking a bit tough already. I would hate to be playing on that turf in November.

RabidRabbit
September 11th, 2008, 12:47 PM
WOW!! You all made us look real bad xbawlingx First time I seen some YSU video all year and if it don't get any better than that it'll probably be the last. xeekx It's just to painful to watch or listen anymore. I know you can't win every year but it's getting tuff to stomach xnonox

While as a Jackrabbit fan, I like the JMC_Jackrabbit produced videos, having watched games, then videos of the game, the videos are distinctly Rabbit Highlights. Definitely don't see those plays that were the break out plays of the opponents.

Unfortunately, other than the first drive of the 2nd half, the Penguins had no shining plays, positive experiences to share. With all the injuries to the D, and running off a #1 QB, it's looking likely that YSU will be facing a tough year. 3-4 wins may be it. Both Mo St. and IL St. are looking at the 'Guin carnage, and thinking that they may get a win too. Maybe Trees too?

Reed Rothchild
September 12th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I just watched the game replay on Mediacom. Wow. I have never seen a YSU team look that bad on offense. They looked absolutely clueless. I don't know what to think about SDSU because YSU performed that poorly.

ysubigred
September 14th, 2008, 07:45 AM

xsmiley_wix I'm not sure we would want JT back now. His teams look like SHAT in the big games xnonono2x