PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota @ Northern Iowa Game Thread

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 03:56 PM
#9/#5 Panthers host the transitional DII to FCS Coyotes.

Kickoff at 4:05 Central.

Game is webcast for a fee of $10.

Go Cats!

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 04:13 PM
UNI drives to SD 30, stalls, kicks FG and misses.

0-0 in 1st.

Hambone
September 6th, 2008, 04:22 PM
UNI blocks the USD FG. UNI takes over at the 48.

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 04:22 PM
SD into UNI territory, FG attempt is blocked....UNI ball at the 50. Big run by Corey Lewis to the SD 30......facemask....down to the 13.

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Johnny Gray takes the handoff and is in....7-0 UNI in 1st.

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 04:30 PM
SD fumbles, UNI ball at SD 45.

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM
UNI asleep at the wheel in the 1st quarter as usual. xmadx

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 04:43 PM
SD misses 45 yard FG. 7-0 UNI in the 2nd.

Hambone
September 6th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Sounds like the Yotes are playing well on offense, though. Defense, having a little trouble with some tackling.

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Sounds like the Yotes are playing well on offense, though. Defense, having a little trouble with some tackling.

And facemasks....two so far.

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM

SD has had luck throwing but that's it.

TD UNI.....14-0 with 9:00 min left in 2nd.

Hambone
September 6th, 2008, 04:52 PM
SD has had luck throwing but that's it.

TD UNI.....14-0 with 9:00 min left in 2nd.

You watching somewhere or listening on the radio/web?

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 04:54 PM
You watching somewhere or listening on the radio/web?

Watching webcast through unipanthers.com

Hambone
September 6th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Watching webcast through unipanthers.com

Just curious about your thoughts on the Yotes since I've seen them many times and this is probably your first time. How do you think they look?

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM
SD has a gooooood QB.....keeps getting rushed and completing passes.

Aaaaaaaaaand he just ran in for a TD.

14-7 UNI in the 2nd.

EmeraldCityBison
September 6th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Listen to the game here (USD announcers):

http://www.b1027.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3026&Itemid=43&PHPSESSID=5eadc726cfd126a07f167ed9c0ad2679

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Grace to Gray 30 yard TD pass. Wow Gray is a stud.

21-7 UNI will 1 min left in half.

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Halftime.

SD 7
UNI 21

Not sure why Farley kept pulling our starters out in the 1st half.

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 05:36 PM
SD is KILLING themselves with penalties.

Chi Panther
September 6th, 2008, 05:41 PM
INT UNI....returned to the 15....

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 05:41 PM
UNI misses FG....we had the ball at the 10. Jeeez.

Chi Panther
September 6th, 2008, 05:51 PM
If we were playing NDSU, YSU, SIU....we'd be down by 20 today....yikes

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 05:55 PM
UNI makes it very hard for me to cheer for them some days.

TD SD.

SD 13
UNI 21

SD botched the extra point.

3rd Qtr

Chi Panther
September 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM
we deserve to lose.....soo frustrating

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 06:07 PM
P*ssing the game away.

SD INT, ball on UNI 40, 21-13 UNI with 14:00 left.

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 06:08 PM
And let's throw a personal foul in there too. Why not?

Here SD, have another 15 yards.

Reed Rothchild
September 6th, 2008, 06:09 PM
ugh, even years!

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Panther D holds at the UNI 14, takes over on downs.

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 06:22 PM
UNI puts together good drive and stalls at the 10. FG is good.

24-13 UNI with 6 min left.

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM
SD fumbles and UNI gets it on UNI's 20. 2 min to go.

Coyote Fan
September 6th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Mountain Panther how about a little respect to USD. The former NCC teams are all very good football teams. USD actually plays much worse on the road as well. I think USD is proving that they will not be an embarrassment in FCS. They can play with good teams on the road but can they beat them. The big question.

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Mountain Panther how about a little respect to USD. The former NCC teams are all very good football teams. USD actually plays much worse on the road as well. I think USD is proving that they will not be an embarrassment in FCS. They can play with good teams on the road but can they beat them. The big question.

I never disrespected USD. You guys played well.

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Game. UNI wins 24-13.

Good thing we have a bye week...a lot to think about and improve.

Reed Rothchild
September 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM

Being frustrated with our teams poor performance does not mean we are disrespecting USD.

Chi Panther
September 6th, 2008, 06:54 PM

We respect the Dakota schools.

But UNI played poor. 2 dumb INTs and 2 missed FGs.

Our Offensive Coor...has a habit of getting to fancy and not running the ball. Makes fans upset.

Good Game! Make a big playoff run! GO COYOTES!!!!xthumbsupx....sorry i forgot transition

Reed Rothchild
September 6th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Our Offensive Coor...has a habit of getting to fancy and not running the ball. Makes fans upset.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xbowx xbowx xbowx

IABison
September 6th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I just got back from the UNI game... kudos to USD for the game...

I was very impressed with the number of SD fans that made the trip. Looks like good support for the team. (I somehow ended up in the middle of them.)

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I just got back from the UNI game... kudos to USD for the game...

I was very impressed with the number of SD fans that made the trip. Looks like good support for the team. (I somehow ended up in the middle of them.)

USD's QB is a stud and much have watched lots of UNI film as he knew exactly what to do.

skinny_uncle
September 6th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Congrats on the win, Panthers.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2008, 07:31 PM
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xbowx xbowx xbowx
With that big ugly Yankee logo I had foirgotten u was a UNI guy.... Yanks are done, time to change back to a UNI logo :p

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 07:33 PM
With that big ugly Yankee logo I had foirgotten u was a UNI guy.... Yanks are done, time to change back to a UNI logo :p

Baseball = lame

Football = fun

JBB
September 6th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Was this game ever in question?

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Was this game ever in question?

Closet was 21-13 around the start of the 4th quarter.

We missed two field goals and threw two INTs. USD also fumbled it and lost it three times.

A mess of a game.

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2008, 11:50 PM
USD's QB was great. Some poor play calling on our part. Defense came up big though. Held USD to 13 points. Blocked a field goal and forced some fumbles. We better win every game where the opposing team scores 13.

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Also, great fan support from the Yotes.

Coyote Fan
September 7th, 2008, 12:51 AM
It's good to hear that USD looked good and had good fan support. This was a good performance overall but it was also typical of most USD road games. They just self distruct often. I was satisfied with the performance of the defense the most. They really played well compared to how they usually do on the road. USD has the talent to be a pretty good FCS team as shown in the stats. I think USD outgained UNI by about 75 total yards and had a nice time of possession advantage as well. USD just isn't a very field smart team because of some bad penalties and turnovers. One thing that I noticed that was a bit different in a good way is that it appeared USD wasn't just allowing UNI to catch passes uncontested and forced a couple of turnovers. They usually don't do either.

Pantherpower
September 7th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Don't believe it's been mentioned but UNI only ran 52 plays. That's unheard of for UNI's O.

USD's QB was tough; real tough. Showed some real stones out there after getting smacked around a few times. A lot of credit to the Yotes overall; they came to play.

Didn't think I'd be saying this at the beginning of the season, but the bye week comes at a great time. Need to clean some things up in preparation for a stout SDSU team.

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2008, 10:15 AM
One thing that I noticed that was a bit different in a good way is that it appeared USD wasn't just allowing UNI to catch passes uncontested and forced a couple of turnovers. They usually don't do either.

I didn't think any of the INT's were forced by the USD defense.

The first one was a bad snap that Grace fumbled around with and then rolled out and didn't take time to look before throwing and a DB came across.

The second one, the RB stopped running his route.

UNIFanSince1983
September 8th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I was plenty impressed with USD. Some of the things UNI was having trouble with were because of the Yotes. That quarterback they have was very impressive.

I would like UNI to improve on defense. I just don't know how well this "bend but don't break" will work against a good team in the Valley like SDSU, NDSU, or Southern.

They also still have some offensive things to work on too. I would like to see Grace improve, but he will with the more playing time he gets. Right now he has all the physical tools, but his poise needs improvement.

The bright spot was Corey Lewis. If he runs like that every game, which he is capable, we have a chance to win every game.

Overall, I am happy with the bye week coming right now especially after seeing what the Jacks did to the Penguins this week.