PDA

View Full Version : Did Missouri State really lose to Washburn?

ISUMatt
September 5th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Jeez not good for this rebuilding program...not good at all

ERASU2113
September 5th, 2008, 05:32 PM
http://www.missouristatebears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=59342&SPID=6495&DB_OEM_ID=13800&ATCLID=1575304

Pretty embarrassing if ya ask me

MSUfan2010
September 5th, 2008, 06:36 PM
http://www.missouristatebears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=59342&SPID=6495&DB_OEM_ID=13800&ATCLID=1575304

Pretty embarrassing if ya ask me

Any more embarrassing than Montana losing to NDSU and UNI losing to UND?? Hopefully we can bounce back but its going to take a huge improvement and some serious support from the fans.

Ronbo
September 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Any more embarrassing than Montana losing to NDSU and UNI losing to UND?? Hopefully we can bounce back but its going to take a huge improvement and some serious support from the fans.

NDSU was a national DII power in a similar mold to Grand Valley State for 25 years or something like that.

I've never heard of Washburn.xrolleyesx

ERASU2113
September 5th, 2008, 06:55 PM

That's the only reason I said embarrasing - never heard of them. No doubt ya'll will bounce back.

chrisattsu
September 5th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Jeez not good for this rebuilding program...not good at all

http://www.washburn.edu/services/alumni/images/Ichabods/Ichabod3Color.jpg

The Washburn Ichabods.... Really? They don't even have a real mascot!

Gully
September 5th, 2008, 08:57 PM
NDSU was a national DII power in a similar mold to Grand Valley State for 25 years or something like that.

Don't even compare Washburn to NDSU..........not even close.

JackTwice
September 5th, 2008, 08:57 PM

At the time Montana lost to NDSU they were well removed from DII power. They were on their way to rebuilding the team into an FCS power. We'll see how that plays out this year.

Franks Tanks
September 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM
That's the only reason I said embarrasing - never heard of them. No doubt ya'll will bounce back.

95% of college football fans never heard of Appalachain State before the Michigan game. Whether or not you're familiar with them means squat.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2008, 09:32 PM
The MVFC, top-bottom, is one of the toughest conferences. MSU will probably bounce back from this game. But 63 schollies to 36....no way a DII should beat 1AA.

Bears have a lot of work to do. I don't see many wins during the conference...maybe Indiana Statexrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Good luck....I think they're going to need itxthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
September 5th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Washburn was ranked #17 in D2 before this win, but still..........
I wouldn't want to be a Bear next week at practice when Terry Allen gets a hold of them.

Mountain Panther
September 5th, 2008, 09:45 PM
NDSU was a national DII power

So was North Dakota...MSUfan2010 needs to leave UNI out of this.

BUT, UNI did go 7-4 that year, so it was respectable. TA is a good coach so who knows what will happen down there.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2008, 09:57 PM

BUT, UNI did go 7-4 that year, so it was respectable. TA is a good coach so who knows what will happen down there.

Where are their other wins coming from??????

No way they beat the upper teams in MV: UNI, YSU, WIU, SIU, NDSU, SDSU, maybe Ill State and Ind State

2-3 win season is all I see.....could be wrongxrolleyesx xrolleyesx

JayJ79
September 5th, 2008, 10:07 PM

Bringing up UNI is a valid comparison, unfortunately.
not EXACTLY the same, but close enough for mention.
I still can't believe we lost that game. ugh.

Herdman
September 6th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Washburn shocks Missouri State
By DAVID BOYCE
The Kansas City Star
SPRINGFIELD | Washburn’s stunning 35-27 victory over Missouri State came down to 1 yard with 10.8 seconds left Thursday night at Plaster Field.

Missouri State faced fourth and goal at the 15 when quarterback Cody Kirby completed a 14-yard pass to Chris Geisz. Geisz was tackled just short of the goal line.

The game-saving tackle by Casey Curran lifted Washburn, 2-0, to its first victory over a team from the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA). The Ichabods, a NCAA Division II team, came into the game 0-8 against teams from that division.

“Casey made a great break and kept him in the field of play,” said Washburn junior linebacker Zach Watkins. “It’s an awesome win, a great play to end the game on.”

Geisz thought the game should have never come down to that one play.

“I tried to get in there,” Geisz said.

“We shot ourselves in the foot time and time again trying to make plays, but penalties and different mistakes brought us back. That’s something we will have to correct going into our next game.”

Washburn, picked to finish in the middle of the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Conference, proved the strength of the conference.

“When you look at the big scheme, this game doesn’t mean a lot,” Washburn coach Craig Schurig said. “Conference games are much more important, but our kids believe we have a pretty good program and allow us to play a step up and compete at this level.

“I think they are proud of the way they played.”

Nothing about Washburn’s win over the Terry Allen-led Bears was a fluke. The Ichabods scored the first two touchdowns, taking a 14-0 lead in the first quarter.

“That’s how we were last game, too,” said Washburn sophomore quarterback Jake Iverson.

But when Missouri State battled back and went ahead 24-21 in the third quarter, Washburn immediately responded by going 64 yards in six plays and scoring on a 1-yard run by Terrence Lowe.

The Ichabods added another touchdown early in the fourth quarter for a 35-24 lead. Iverson was impressive, throwing two touchdowns and running for two more.

Washburn could have gone into halftime feeling a little disappointed. The Ichabods were tied 21-21, but they could have easily had the lead.

Mistakes by Washburn allowed the Bears to tie the game twice in the second quarter. Missouri State’s second touchdown was set up by a Washburn fumble.

And with just under 1 minute left until halftime and the Ichabods leading 21-14, a bad snap on an attempted punt around midfield gave Missouri State the ball at Washburn’s 45.

The Bears needed only 38 seconds to tie the game on a 16-yard pass from Kirby to Justin Fuselier.

To reach David Boyce, send e-mail to [email protected]

Herdman
September 6th, 2008, 04:45 AM

BUT, UNI did go 7-4 that year, so it was respectable. TA is a good coach so who knows what will happen down there.NDSU was a D2 power during the 90s. UND was not a national D2 power. They were a very consistant regional power, but did not play well at all outside the region and lost a lot to GLIAC teams come play-off time. I think they have 1 D2 National Championship compared to 11 for NDSU.

UNI is a very good comparison. UNI is a national FCS power. UND, a regional D2 power. MSU has been good in the past and you know Terry Allen will have his regular couple of down years and then the worm will begin to turn. Wasburn won the MIAA, a very, very tough D2 conference a few years back. They have a decent program and some years are very good. This maybe one of them.

You guys who say a D2 team should never, ever beat a FCS team are a joke! xwhistlex This is AnyGivenSaturday.com right? xthumbsupx

Houndawg
September 6th, 2008, 05:32 AM
NDSU was a D2 power during the 90s. UND was not a national D2 power. They were a very consistant regional power, but did not play well at all outside the region and lost a lot to GLIAC teams come play-off time. I think they have 1 D2 National Championship compared to 11 for NDSU.

UNI is a very good comparison. UNI is a national FCS power. UND, a regional D2 power. MSU has been good in the past and you know Terry Allen will have his regular couple of down years and then the worm will begin to turn. Wasburn won the MIAA, a very, very tough D2 conference a few years back. They have a decent program and some years are very good. This maybe one of them.

You guys who say a D2 team should never, ever beat a FCS team are a joke! xwhistlex This is AnyGivenSaturday.com right? xthumbsupx

Washburn had a former Saluki starting at CB.

UND92,96
September 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM
NDSU was a D2 power during the 90s. UND was not a national D2 power. They were a very consistant regional power, but did not play well at all outside the region and lost a lot to GLIAC teams come play-off time. I think they have 1 D2 National Championship compared to 11 for NDSU.

I think UND was pretty successful as a dII playoff team:

14 playoff appearances
18-13 playoff record
2001 national champion
2003 runner up
1993, 1994 and 2004 semi finalist
2006 quarter finalist

skinny_uncle
September 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I think UND was pretty successful as a dII playoff team:

14 playoff appearances
18-13 playoff record
2001 national champion
2003 runner up
1993, 1994 and 2004 semi finalist
2006 quarter finalist
Since 2000, they are 82-21.
Most schools would take that at any level.

MSUBear42
September 6th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Well, they were #17 in the D2 poll last week and made the playoffs last year... Not saying it's not embarassing, but they aren't just some mediocre D2

Mountain Panther
September 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Well, they were #17 in the D2 poll last week and made the playoffs last year... Not saying it's not embarassing, but they aren't just some mediocre D2

There's still hope - in 2006 Montana State lost to Chadron State but still beat Colorado.

MSUBear42
September 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah, all I want is for us to get a LITTLE confidence. I've never seen a Bears team drop so many passes!

If we catch half our drop passes and take away half the stupid penalties (ie the 12 men on the field on the INT return for a TD or offensive PI on a TD) we would have won....

Oh well... woulda, coulda, shoulda. I'm just glad we play SEMO before we start MVFC play.

ISUMatt
September 6th, 2008, 04:56 PM
We lost to Drake last year...We all have our days

dlsiouxfan
September 6th, 2008, 05:28 PM

A few corrections. NDSU has 8 D2 National Championships not 11, the last one which occurred in 1990. UND only lost to one GLIAC school during their playoff runs and that was Grand Valley State where the two schools matched up 6 times and UND won 2 and GVSU won 4. All games were closely contested with the home team winning each contest and the 2 neutral site National Championship games having been split. After the 2003 title game the NCAA placed the two schools in the same region. Unlike FCS, the Division II playoff systems is regionalized resulting in a situation where often times the two best teams (UND-GVSU) often ended up playing each other in quarterfinal game instead of a semifinal or championship game. So I would argue that UND was in fact a D-II national power.

UNI Pike
September 6th, 2008, 07:09 PM
UNI losing to UND was embarrassing. Period. UND won that game outright.