PDA

View Full Version : Finally-Week 1 Big Sky power rankings

JALMOND
September 5th, 2008, 01:24 AM
At long last I can release the Big Sky power rankings for week 1. Usually I will post this Monday nights after the AGS poll is announced. Anyway, no changes from the preseason through the first week...

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week, the Eagles made a better showing against a strong Texas Tech team than most people thought, keeping the game in doubt until through the fourth quarter. A loss but hard to justify them losing the conference top spot. This week a return to the Big 12 with a game at Colorado. Keep it close, Eagles.

2. Montana (2)---The bye week means the Grizzlies will start their season this week with a trip to Cal Poly. The Mustangs will be ready after a great win over FBS San Diego State. A strong early season test for the Grizzlies to see where they are so far in this young season.

3. Weber State (3)---Pretty much a breeze last week for the Wildcats as they cruised through NAIA Montana-Western. The ability to score was on display, as was the all too familiar ability to hold the opponents down. They will need both as they make a trip to the Islands to face FBS Hawaii. A tall order but can they pull off the upset.

4. Northern Arizona (4)---Coming into the season, the Jacks were a big question mark, but all that was put to rest after a good showing against a tough FBS ranked Arizona State team. This week has them with a possible breather against New Mexico Highlands. Should be an easy way to even up the record.

5. Montana State (5)---The Bobcats game last week was so good even the gods showed their appreciation with a spectacular thunder and lightning show just after halftime. This week the Cats follow EWU into Big 12 country to face Kansas State. Here's hopes that they were able to bottle some of that thunder and lightning for this game.

6. Portland State (6)---Last week, the Vikings run and shoot led by quarterback Howland looked like the run and scoot as they could not move on DII Western Oregon. Then Hubel came in and the run and shoot ran well. This week, a bye week before a trip to Davis for a game with the Aggies of UC-Davis. A week is long enough to reignite the idea of a quarterback controversy?

7. Sacramento State (7)---The Hornets in a breeze against DII Humboldt State last week. It is always good to start the season with a win regardless. This week, a trip to Colorado State, an FBS team woefully rebuilding. A huge momentum swing for the Hornets if they can find a way to win this game.

8. Northern Colorado (8)---Like Montana, the Bears took the opening week off. Unlike the Griz, the Bears used it to prepare for FBS Big 10 opponent Purdue. A good showing would give encouragement for the Bears.

9. Idaho State (9)---Last week, the Bengals were shown no mercy by fellow Idaho university Boise State. This week, maybe a little reprieve as the Bengals venture to FBS (should be Big Sky) Idaho. ISU quite possibly could upend the Vandals and provide some momentum through the rest of the year.

Hard to determine with some stepping up to FBS teams and some going down a level or two. Nothing earth-shaking happened in the outcomes, so best to just stay the course for another week. Interesting games this week should lead to some changes next week.

Thundering_Herd
September 5th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Looks like the Big Sky may be 1-8 in week 2. Ouch! Good luck to all teams (the ones playing FBS schools!). I like FCS upsets over FBS teams...

appfan2008
September 5th, 2008, 07:26 AM
A lot of tough games this week with fbs foes... good luck to pulling one or two of them off... hopefully

slostang
September 5th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Always a great read Jalmond. Thanks.

biobengal
September 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Based on last weeks performance:

1. EWU
2. MSU
3. NAU
4. WSU
5. Sac
6. ISU
6. PSU

NR Montana
NR UNC

already123
September 5th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I agree with Biobengal....however, we wont REALLY have accurate rankings untill the preseason is over.....

EdubAlum
September 5th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I agree with Biobengal....however, we wont REALLY have accurate rankings untill the preseason is over.....

like EWU, i was also impressed with the NAU showing against Arizona State last week.

dbackjon
September 5th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Looks like the Big Sky may be 1-8 in week 2. Ouch! Good luck to all teams (the ones playing FBS schools!). I like FCS upsets over FBS teams...

Only 8 play :)

And I think Idaho State has a real chance to beat Idaho

Screamin_Eagle174
September 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Why can't it be Saturday already!!! This week is crawling by...

uofmman1122
September 5th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Why can't it be Saturday already!!! This week is crawling by...No %^$ing kidding!

I've had the three longest work days I can remember in a row! Thank heavens it's over, and all I have to worry about now is getting comfortable enough tomorrow for UM vs. CP! xthumbsupx

JALMOND
September 5th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Based on last weeks performance:

1. EWU
2. MSU
3. NAU
4. WSU
5. Sac
6. ISU
6. PSU

NR Montana
NR UNC

Fair assessment, maybe. I have some questions that might be cleared if you would offer how you arrived at them. Care to explain?

uofmman1122
September 7th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Methinks there's a new #1 in the Big Sky Power rankings for week 2. xwhistlex