PDA

View Full Version : ASU/Chattanooga

AppGuy04
October 28th, 2005, 07:34 AM
12. Appalachian State (5-2) vs. Chattanooga (5-3)
Time: 3:30 p.m.
TV: Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast.
Series: Appalachian State leads, 18-10.
It is the Mountaineers’ homecoming. Last year the Mocs won a shootout, 59-56, in Chattanooga, where the two teams combined for 950 yards of offense. ASU is 13-2 in the last 15 meetings with UTC and have won its last 10 against the Mocs at Kidd Brewer. ASU has won 13 straight home games and 10 consecutive league victories at Kidd-Brewer. The Mocs had a three-game losing streak snapped this past Saturday to Western Carolina, 38-20, the team’s longest since 1997. WR Emanuel Hassell is one catch away from reaching 100 for his career. Backup QB Matt Lopez threw the first two TD passes of his career vs. WCU. QB Richie Williams has 7,702 yards of total offense and needs two more to move into sole possession of second place in league history. Williams also needs 31 passing yards to become the third Mountaineer -- and ninth player in SoCon history -- to reach 6,500 career passing yards.

I don't think this game will be close on Homecoming. Your thoughts?

OL FU
October 28th, 2005, 07:35 AM
12. Appalachian State (5-2) vs. Chattanooga (5-3)
Time: 3:30 p.m.
TV: Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast.
Series: Appalachian State leads, 18-10.
It is the Mountaineers’ homecoming. Last year the Mocs won a shootout, 59-56, in Chattanooga, where the two teams combined for 950 yards of offense. ASU is 13-2 in the last 15 meetings with UTC and have won its last 10 against the Mocs at Kidd Brewer. ASU has won 13 straight home games and 10 consecutive league victories at Kidd-Brewer. The Mocs had a three-game losing streak snapped this past Saturday to Western Carolina, 38-20, the team’s longest since 1997. WR Emanuel Hassell is one catch away from reaching 100 for his career. Backup QB Matt Lopez threw the first two TD passes of his career vs. WCU. QB Richie Williams has 7,702 yards of total offense and needs two more to move into sole possession of second place in league history. Williams also needs 31 passing yards to become the third Mountaineer -- and ninth player in SoCon history -- to reach 6,500 career passing yards.

I don't think this game will be close on Homecoming. Your thoughts?

Just read on the Mocs board that quite a few players (starters ) were suspended.

AppGuy04
October 28th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Just read on the Mocs board that quite a few players (starters ) were suspended.

really, what for?

OL FU
October 28th, 2005, 07:38 AM
really, what for?

curfew violation

http://p197.ezboard.com/fmoctalkfrm3.showMessage?topicID=2500.topic

AppGuy04
October 28th, 2005, 07:40 AM
"Davis, a sophomore tailback from Macon, Ga., is the Mocs' second leading rusher with 391 yards on 78 carries, and he has run for three touchdowns. The co-starter is also the team's third leading receiver with 13 catches for 127 yards and a touchdown.

White, a sophomore from Atlanta, has started every game this season at inside linebacker and leads the team with 58 tackles."

Thats not good, I say we put up 42 now

this was a funny comment by a poster on that board: "well, people on here always complain that the Mocs never get a front page story"

SoCon48
October 28th, 2005, 09:04 AM
curfew violation

http://p197.ezboard.com/fmoctalkfrm3.showMessage?topicID=2500.topic
May be permanent as another story involving 7-10 annonymous Chatty students invloved in a much larger "situation" has hit the Chatty press almost simultaneously.
Hope it's not the same bunch.

OL FU
October 28th, 2005, 09:15 AM
May be permanent as another story involving 7-10 annonymous Chatty students invloved in a much larger "situation" has hit the Chatty press almost simultaneously.

Man, I am with you on that one!

AppGuy04
October 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM
something like that happened when i was in high school, kinda sad

there were like 10 football players at a rival school that got suspended for "gang banging" a girl in the weight room, ofcourse the star running back on their team just got a slap on the wrist

BlackSaturday
October 28th, 2005, 10:43 AM
There are articles on the Moc board linking the two now. Not good for the Moc program.

SoCon48
October 28th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Man, I am with you on that one!

Well, Ol' FU, looks like we lost on that one. Sad for the girl, the players, the school, and college football in general.

Black and Gold Express
October 28th, 2005, 10:51 AM
There are articles on the Moc board linking the two now. Not good for the Moc program.

The Moc football program is the least of important concerns right now...

chattanoogamocs
October 28th, 2005, 12:11 PM
let me say that while I am just 35...stories like these make me feel old...or at least old fashioned...in my opinion, this kind of behavior is morally reprehensible whether it was consensual or against someone's will.

That being said, I had a heads up on this a couple of days ago...most in the department did not seem too concerned from a legal standpoint (though that had nothing to do with the overall embarassment and stain placed on the team/school) in that they feel reasonably sure the charges will be dropped...the person making the accusations waited almost three days (happen late Thursday, reported Sunday afternoon) before coming forward and was at the game on Saturday night versus Western Carolina in facepaint cheering on the team.

Sadly, guilty or innocent, the damage has been done and it is truly a shame because R.A. and his staff has really worked hard to try and bring in really good, decent, kids to the program...maybe not brain surgeons, but good kids...this makes every one of them look like a rapist. Many of them are very upset with their teammates.

As for the football side of it...not having White will hurt...but Davis has had a high ankle sprain and has been out for the last two games...and the rest have all played sparingly at bes...so I am not sure it will really be a huge difference in the game.

OL FU
October 28th, 2005, 12:28 PM
let me say that while I am just 35...stories like these make me feel old...or at least old fashioned...in my opinion, this kind of behavior is morally reprehensible whether it was consensual or against someone's will.

That being said, I had a heads up on this a couple of days ago...most in the department did not seem too concerned from a legal standpoint (though that had nothing to do with the overall embarassment and stain placed on the team/school) in that they feel reasonably sure the charges will be dropped...the person making the accusations waited almost three days (happen late Thursday, reported Sunday afternoon) before coming forward and was at the game on Saturday night versus Western Carolina in facepaint cheering on the team.

Sadly, guilty or innocent, the damage has been done and it is truly a shame because R.A. and his staff has really worked hard to try and bring in really good, decent, kids to the program...maybe not brain surgeons, but good kids...this makes every one of them look like a rapist. Many of them are very upset with their teammates.

As for the football side of it...not having White will hurt...but Davis has had a high ankle sprain and has been out for the last two games...and the rest have all played sparingly at bes...so I am not sure it will really be a huge difference in the game.

Sorry for everyone involved that it happened. :(

ASU Kep
October 28th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I'm having some serious trouble believeing this girl was kidnapped and raped by these guys...then showed up face-painted to root them on the next day. Sounds fishy. I don't mean to seem insensitive, but the players have to be considered here too. If criminal charges are brought, they could be going away for a LONG time. I understand that sometimes people might now come forward right away, but do they go root their rapist's on? Hopefully the thruth, whatever it is, will come out and those responsible will be dealt with harshly.

SoCon48
October 28th, 2005, 01:28 PM
I'm having some serious trouble believeing this girl was kidnapped and raped by these guys...then showed up face-painted to root them on the next day. Sounds fishy. I don't mean to seem insensitive, but the players have to be considered here too. If criminal charges are brought, they could be going away for a LONG time. I understand that sometimes people might now come forward right away, but do they go root their rapist's on? Hopefully the thruth, whatever it is, will come out and those responsible will be dealt with harshly.

Just goes to show about the curfew factor, as one college coach told his players: "Nothing good happens after midnight."

Hopefully the face-paint covered any bruises she claimed from the "fight" part.

Don't know if cheering for the Mocs was solely cheering for the rapists.
Anyway, hopefully the truth will prevail.

ASU Kep
October 28th, 2005, 01:51 PM
But still...you'd think she'd be a little too traumatized to go to a football game with thousands of people and cheer on a team with 7 players on it that had raped her the day before...I dunno, people always say that "you can't understand what's going through their minds" and I respect that. If this girl was raped, believe me, I want those 7 players to ROT in a jail cell. But doesn't this seem pretty unbelieveable? Sounds to me like the truth might lie somewhere in the middle...

ASU Kep
October 28th, 2005, 01:55 PM
thats not what I was implying.

ASU Kep
October 28th, 2005, 01:58 PM
I'm well aware of the Mike Tyson rule...but anyways, according to what you posted, this whole thing seems over, at least criminally. I wonder what her motivations were?

ASU Kep
October 28th, 2005, 02:00 PM
I thought the police were now saying it was consensual?

ASU Kep
October 28th, 2005, 02:01 PM
If the police are saying that this early into the investigation, the girl is FULL of bull. They take this stuff very seriously.

AppGuy04
October 28th, 2005, 02:02 PM
would that be considering filing a false report? isn't that a crime?

ASU Kep
October 28th, 2005, 02:03 PM
you betcha.

AppGuy04
October 28th, 2005, 02:07 PM
so basically we are just trying to figure out who the criminal is

SoCon48
October 28th, 2005, 02:31 PM
so basically we are just trying to figure out who the criminal is

It's not going to help their case that they tried to beat her up.

AppGuy04
October 28th, 2005, 02:32 PM
No, the men's attorney said it was consensual.

they sure lawyered up quick

ASU Kep
October 28th, 2005, 03:41 PM
oh, i guess i read it too quickly...if its the PLAYERS attorney, its obviously a whole different ballgame...no pun intended.

chattanoogamocs
October 28th, 2005, 10:38 PM
University police chief Mack McNeely declined Friday to say if the player suspensions were related to the rape complaint. He said the woman has changed her account of what happened since the initial incident report

This is really frustrating because one of our wrestlers was accused of rape last year...all this same stuff happened...ultimately, the girl admitted that she had had a one night stand with the guy after a party (too much drinking is never a good thing) and then lodged the complaint after her boyfriend found out.

Case dropped...a tiny story was printed...and to this day the poor kid still has people thinking he raped a girl...and people further question how the school would let a "rapist" still compete (not knowing the complaint had been dropped).

This is why I try to counsel the posters on Mocfans to hold off on making assumptions when almost none of the facts have been revealed...no one has even been arrested, but in typical news fashion, it is guilty until proven innocent...and no matter the outcome, the damage is done to the students, the team, and the program.

:(

AppGuy04
October 28th, 2005, 11:40 PM
What about the alleged victim? No damage there?

depends if she is really a victim or not

chattanoogamocs
October 29th, 2005, 04:16 AM
What about the alleged victim? No damage there?

C'mon Ralph, don't pick off the end of the sentence from the context of the whole post...if the allegations are true, they can hang the guys by their testicles...no athlete is above the law in my mind...my alma mater or not.

I was simply trying to say that before everyone just jumps to conclusions (oops, too late), let's wait until authorities finish their investigation. I don't think that it too much to ask, but apparently, I am naive in the ways of the world.

...then I lamented that this had happened before and that when the person was exonerated, the damage had been done and it still follows him to this day (as it will with this incident)...and it is a shame.

AppGuy04
October 29th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Why are you dismissing a gang rape complaint made by the complaintant? Any reason? Seems rather unsympathetic.

because we don't know, remember "innocent until proven guilty"

add to that, that the story sounds a little shady

in all honesty, it sounds like she participated in a gang bang and then felt bad so she decided to say it was rape

SoCon48
October 31st, 2005, 08:55 AM
Why are you dismissing a gang rape complaint made by the complaintant? Any reason? Seems rather unsympathetic.

Guilty or not they really f'd up.

WUTNDITWAA
October 31st, 2005, 09:03 AM
C'mon Ralph, don't pick off the end of the sentence from the context of the whole post...if the allegations are true, they can hang the guys by their testicles...no athlete is above the law in my mind...my alma mater or not.

I was simply trying to say that before everyone just jumps to conclusions (oops, too late), let's wait until authorities finish their investigation. I don't think that it too much to ask, but apparently, I am naive in the ways of the world.

...then I lamented that this had happened before and that when the person was exonerated, the damage had been done and it still follows him to this day (as it will with this incident)...and it is a shame.

It's hard to unring a bell. I hate it for that wrestler.

You're right about the football players. Wait for the investigation to come out. Still, if it is just ruled consensual...ummmm, yeah, that's still pretty sick.