PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel at Clemson

Touchdown Yosef
September 4th, 2008, 06:35 PM
If this thread has already been done my apologies I only saw the one referencing the article.

I have never had any feelings one way or the other for Clemson, I certainly never had anything against them. I have nothing but respect for The Citadel as school and football program and would root for them any week against any non Socon opponent.

Now for the first 3 days of this week I was on the road for work and drove almost to Arkansas from Charlotte and back with one other guy. This guy played for Clemson and now has a son that plays for Clemson as well on scholarship. I have heard nothing but Clemson football for the last 3 days, which is fine in most cases but this man is almost delusional; obsessed (i understand it) I can forgive but delusional or uneducated was just too much. So in the wake of my adventure I have become a very, Very big Citadel fan.

I do know however that Clemson is a very mad team but I also now know they are a very very tired team. The practices have been "the hardest of my college career" and they have not let anyone wear a red jersey. QB's and everyone else have been getting hit and hit hard. Everyone is bruised up and down and hurting. As of today they had not looked at a single piece of film for The Citadel and have yet to install a game plan.

So I know you all know what you are up against but know this. I will be rooting for you just as hard as I will be for Appalachian State. My many attempts to convince this man that y'all will give them a game and efforts to praise Bart Blanchart have gone with arrogant dismissals and I hear nothing but how bad you will be beaten. Good luck this weekend to everyone at The Citadel I hope you take it to those boys at Clemson I will be following closely and cheering loudly.

APPALACHIANstate
September 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Landon Walker?

;)

blazrdog#1
September 4th, 2008, 08:02 PM
The City of Homewood has a new (sheriff) mayor in town that will be running around the clock radar.So back it down on Lakeshore when you visit us at Samford this year.

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 4th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Spiller and Davis are the best tandem pair of backs in college football. If El Cid can stop them (which they won't), then I will officially be wary of El Cid.

blazrdog#1
September 4th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Two words for your Clemson friend:Roll Tide!!!xnodx xlolx

CID1990
September 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Spiller and Davis are the best tandem pair of backs in college football. If El Cid can stop them (which they won't), then I will officially be wary of El Cid.

Furman held them to less than 40 yards combined last year. The Citadel had the best defense in the SoCon last year, and returns eight of those players this year. On what iinformation do you base your assessment that "Thunder and Lightning" cannot be contained by The Citadel?

They very well may light us up, but to dismiss the possibility that we will be able to contain them is a little, well, you sound like 99% of all clempson fans.

CID1990
September 4th, 2008, 10:13 PM
If this thread has already been done my apologies I only saw the one referencing the article.

I have never had any feelings one way or the other for Clemson, I certainly never had anything against them. I have nothing but respect for The Citadel as school and football program and would root for them any week against any non Socon opponent.

Now for the first 3 days of this week I was on the road for work and drove almost to Arkansas from Charlotte and back with one other guy. This guy played for Clemson and now has a son that plays for Clemson as well on scholarship. I have heard nothing but Clemson football for the last 3 days, which is fine in most cases but this man is almost delusional; obsessed (i understand it) I can forgive but delusional or uneducated was just too much. So in the wake of my adventure I have become a very, Very big Citadel fan.

I do know however that Clemson is a very mad team but I also now know they are a very very tired team. The practices have been "the hardest of my college career" and they have not let anyone wear a red jersey. QB's and everyone else have been getting hit and hit hard. Everyone is bruised up and down and hurting. As of today they had not looked at a single piece of film for The Citadel and have yet to install a game plan.

So I know you all know what you are up against but know this. I will be rooting for you just as hard as I will be for Appalachian State. My many attempts to convince this man that y'all will give them a game and efforts to praise Bart Blanchart have gone with arrogant dismissals and I hear nothing but how bad you will be beaten. Good luck this weekend to everyone at The Citadel I hope you take it to those boys at Clemson I will be following closely and cheering loudly.

You just described all clempson fans. Their fan message boards are full of how they are going to hang 70 on us (they have the talent, I'll give them that) and how we are going to be shut out (that shows a moderate level of ignorance of our offense and a lack of respect..... I hoipe their team is thinking the same thing).

Tommy Bowden did make a comment about Andre this week, and his defensive coordinator made some very gratifying comments about him. It sounds as if Andre Roberts is the only player they have on the radar. They had better put Bart Blanchard, Terrence Reese and Jonathan Vest on there, or it is going to be a long afternoon.

Death Dealer
September 5th, 2008, 06:28 AM
GO DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEAT THOSE CLEMPSON BIOTCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, that would be so sweet. I think clemson would implode in upon itself, right after they flayed Tommy Bowden and burnED him at the stake on the 50 yl. xlolx

citdog
September 5th, 2008, 06:55 AM

it is The Citadel who is not worried about GSU.....without Foster.......YOU SUCK AGAIN.....

THE CADETS ARE GONNA PUNCH THOSE FARMERS RIGHT IN THEIR MOUTH.

APPALACHIANstate
September 5th, 2008, 06:56 AM
THE CADETS ARE GONNA KISS THOSE FARMERS RIGHT IN THEIR MOUTH.

WHAT!

catdaddy2402
September 5th, 2008, 09:07 AM
It's hard to pick what is going to happen when Clemson play The Citadel.

Typically when Clemson plays a SoCon team it's closer than what Clemson fans would like, but never really in any doubt. Of course, Furman is the SoCon team that Clemson has played the most since leaving the SoCon.

However, since leaving the SoCon for the ACC Clemson has faced the Bulldogs 9 times, beat the every time, and on average the final score has been 30-4. For some reason The Citadel doesn't share Furman's ability to keep games with Clemson close.

I have a feeling that in the first half Clemson is going to try and build the confidence of the O-line with a heavy emphasis on the run game. That will allow the Bulldogs to stay in the game for a while, but the Tiger defense will ensure the outcome early.

It's been 71 years since a team currently in the SoCon beat Clemson. After Saturday it'll be 72. Tigers 45 Bulldogs 6

elcid96
September 5th, 2008, 09:18 AM
The DOGS will play harder than ever before. They are ready for this game and will score early. Look for Andre Roberts to run a punt or kick-off back for a touchdown. We will break them.

ASUG8
September 5th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I work 14 miles from their campus - try living around here and see what it's like. I lived nearly all my life in NC with the UNC/Duke bandwagon fans, but nothing close to the Clemson wannabees here. Damn near every car has a tiger paw or gamecock sticker on it.

And I'm the one guy around here with an "A" on my back window.....

elcid96
September 5th, 2008, 09:37 AM
ill send you a Citadel Sticker if you want to stir the pot.

ASUG8
September 5th, 2008, 09:44 AM
ill send you a Citadel Sticker if you want to stir the pot.

I already live in the same town as Citdog - I don't need a sticker, but thanks anywayxthumbsupx

OLDMAIN80
September 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
it is The Citadel who is not worried about GSU.....without Foster.......YOU SUCK AGAIN.....

I sure hope you are right dog, buddy of mine down here is a big Clempson fan and he gave me The Citadel, 12 points and 10:1 oddsxeekx . Can't wait to cash that checkxthumbsupx

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2008, 11:03 AM

Typically when Clemson plays a SoCon team it's closer than what Clemson fans would like, but never really in any doubt. Of course, Furman is the SoCon team that Clemson has played the most since leaving the SoCon.

However, since leaving the SoCon for the ACC Clemson has faced the Bulldogs 9 times, beat the every time, and on average the final score has been 30-4. For some reason The Citadel doesn't share Furman's ability to keep games with Clemson close.

I have a feeling that in the first half Clemson is going to try and build the confidence of the O-line with a heavy emphasis on the run game. That will allow the Bulldogs to stay in the game for a while, but the Tiger defense will ensure the outcome early.

It's been 71 years since a team currently in the SoCon beat Clemson. After Saturday it'll be 72. Tigers 45 Bulldogs 6

At least Clemson will play us. Can't say the same for USC.

Our last trip there wasn't exactly storybook. Put up over 400 yards against them but turned the ball over 5 times. In 2003 we played there and gave them a heckuva a scare.

CID1990
September 5th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I am surprised USC is playing us next year. Guess they got tired of the fact that we have had bragging rights since 1990.

CID1990
September 5th, 2008, 11:18 AM

There have been close ones more recently than the 1920s. Clem's Son beat us something like 10-7 in the late 1970s.

catdaddy2402
September 5th, 2008, 11:38 AM
There have been close ones more recently than the 1920s. Clem's Son beat us something like 10-7 in the late 1970s.
It was actually 1976, thus it was "B.D," (Before Danny) That was Red Parker's last season. The Red Parker and Hootie Ingram years saw some tight games Like '72 13-0 Clemson, '73 14-12 Clemson, and the '76 game. The Citadel accounted for a quarter of the combined wins Clemson had those three seasons.

The the meetings since ended with scores like 58-3 ('78) 24-0 ('86) and 38-0 ('90)

Appaholic
September 5th, 2008, 11:42 AM

You know, if you bellhops can defeat Clempson tomorrow, there just might be a Bowden looking for a new job come Sunday.....

Go Bellhops!.....

elcid96
September 5th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I am surprised USC is playing us next year. Guess they got tired of the fact that we have had bragging rights since 1990.

They should keep being tired of it. I can't wait to play them again.

08Dawg
September 6th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Really thought we'd keep this one a little closer. Blanchard threw 3 INTs? Not like him at all. And where was Reese? I think that hurt us as much as anything, because Spiller and Davis ran all over us.

CID1990
September 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Terrence Reese was still a little puny on the ankle, so Higgins kept him out. I agree with that decision. We would not have been pushed around in the center as much had he played, but then Spiller and Davis never ran up the middle, so it wouldn't have mattered.

We saw a LOT of great things yeaterday. Clempson never pushed us back all day, and Andre Roberts was double teamed all day and still had a big league day. Something like 140-ish yards on several catches and one TD.

In spite of the plusses we saw, the score did tell the story. Clempson is the fastest team I have seen on defense. We stacked the box all day and they just ran around us. Considering how many 1 vs 1 opportunities they had at the corners, it is a testament to our defense that the Tigers did not score more.

That being said, our offense is AWESOME. A few dumb penalties and one mysterious clipping call likely kept us out of the end zone two times. Also, we missed a couple make-able field goals. Bart Blanchard is the real deal. We also stuck in some of our backup players when Clempson stuck in Willy Korn in the 4th quarter, and it looks like we have a very capable 2nd QB in the stable in Cam Turner. I loved how Higgins put in the backups when Clempson put theirs in. That was great, as if to say, "You're gonna throw in your bench? Well we'll see how good OUR bench is, too!" BTW- Our 2nd offense is evenly matched if not a little better than Clempson's 2nd defense.

No problems on the OL. Bart had all day to throw with a few hurries.

We are fine at complimentary receivers to Andre. He was able to beat the double teams, but on those plays when he was tied up, the rest of the corps had good hands, as well.

The kicking game is as bad as Coach Higgins said it was. We will be in trouble if we have to depend on our kickers for close wins. We also gave Clempson great field position a few times on kickoffs due to the bad kicking.

All in all, they wore us out on the line of scrimmage. The first backup NG was stood up all through the first quarter. The third backup went in and did a little better. Six freshmen played and showed up well. It was obviously bittersweet in that we couldn't score more, but that was due to some excited penalties which I am sure Coach Higgins will iron out this week. I think it is going to be a great year for the Bulldogs in the SoCon!

BULLDOG8180
September 7th, 2008, 01:20 PM
In defense of the kicker, both snaps on the FG attempts were on the ground. The holder did a OK job of getting them down, but it is a timing thing with the kicker.......

elcid96
September 8th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Andre Robert is getting huge praise from Clemson. They used the same plan for him as they used against GT Calvin Johnson. He is going to be huge this year.

http://www.charleston.net/blogs/tiger_tracks/2008/sep/06/post_game/

Roberts strafed the Tigers’ defensive backs before halftime, hauling in six passes for 140 yards. He had just three catches for 13 yards thereafter.

Clemson defensive coordinator Vic Koenning said Roberts went wild in the first half because the Tigers’ defensive backs were looking into The Citadel’s backfield too often and letting Roberts get behind them.

Koenning played more zone in the second half and had two players focusing on Roberts on almost every play. He said it was essentially the same tactic used to bottle up Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson in 2005 and 2006.