PDA

View Full Version : Coulson's Week 2 Predictions

smallcollegefbfan
September 4th, 2008, 01:46 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/around_the_fcs.htm

Coulson was 15-4 in his predictions last week.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 4th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Coulson was 15-4 in his predictions last week.

He missed on App. State and what other three games? xsmiley_wix

DSUrocks07
September 4th, 2008, 02:20 PM
No. 20 The Citadel (1-0) at No. 22 (FBS) Clemson (0-1)

For the first time in seven seasons, The Citadel Bulldogs and the Clemson Tigers will renew their intrastate rivalry. Clemson claimed a 38-0 win over the Bulldogs to commence the 2000 season.

With Clemson getting dominated in emphatic fashion (34-10 loss to Alabama) in its season-opener, there's a feel around Charleston that the Bulldogs have a solid chance of knocking off their first FBS foe since the 1992 season, when the Bulldogs pulled off a 10-3 victory over a Jack Crowe-led Arkansas team.

The Citadel was the SoCon's top defensive unit last fall and returns eight starters from that unit. Despite graduating its top two tacklers, Andrew Rowell and Josh Lawson, the Bulldogs have the potential to be even better on that side of the ball this fall.

In its 54-7 season-opening win over Webber International, the Bulldogs held the Warriors to just 198 yards of total offense, including a mere 78 yards on the ground. The Bulldogs have veterans Kevin McCaskill and Terrence Reese along the defensive line, Jonathan Vest at linebacker and Mel Capers and Dwight House in the Bulldogs' secondary.

Clemson's offense was stymied by an Alabama defense that held the Tigers to 188 yards of total offense and zero yards rushing. Quarterback Cullen Harper was sacked three times and took numerous hard hits.

Clemson has also had its share of troubles in recent memory against SoCon teams, particularly in contests against Appalachian State (23-12 in 1997), and Furman (24-13 in 2003, 19-3 in 1996). Even its 38-10 win over Furman last year was much closer than the score.

Bulldog Quarterback Bart Blanchard, now the full-time starter for the Bulldogs, after the departure of the school's all-time leading passer Duran Lawson, had another strong showing in his fourth-straight start for the Bulldogs after taking over for Lawson after his career-ending injury last season. Blanchard completed 12- of-14 passes for 137 yards and two touchdowns, without an interception in just over one half.

Wide receiver Andre Roberts caught three passes for 91 yards, including a career-long 78-yard scoring reception.He also returned his first-career punt for a 64 yard score to display his blazing speed in another he will be used as a weapon this fall for the Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs rolled up 385 yards of total offense and recorded 54 first downs in the week one win over the Warriors.The running game, despite the enormous loss of Tory Cooper who has graduated, appears to be in solid shape with the Asheton Jordan turning in an impressive collegiate debut, rushing for 70 yards and two scores.

The Citadel 35, Clemson 31 xeekx

El Cid over the Tigers? I'm gonna watch this game.

SoCon48
September 4th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Cute, but as you know he got the App-LSU game right, he predicted LSU.xcoffeex
He got your Hens correct. He picked Maryland.
He missed the McNeese over UNC for one as he picked Mc to win.

Go Bison
September 4th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Coulson wrote: "NDSU also received strong play from linebackers Ramon Humber and Mike Maresh"

That is funny because Mike Maresh didn't play at all last week.

Grizzaholic
September 4th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Coulson wrote: "NDSU also received strong play from linebackers Ramon Humber and Mike Maresh"

Go coulson.

SoCon48
September 4th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Hmmm.
1. At least C's being consistent in his reporting.xlolx
2. Give him credit for actually getting out his predictions before the game occurs.;)

Screamin_Eagle174
September 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Go coulson.

Just posted this on the other Coulson predictions thread, but there's no Tony Rice on our team. Tony Davis on the other hand did a good game with 13 receptions and 114 yards against Tech. xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
September 4th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Coulson is an IDIOT!

X-Factor
September 4th, 2008, 04:24 PM

Heck, why not just make up what you are too lazy to actually look up xrolleyesx

Mustang Man
September 4th, 2008, 04:38 PM
"impressive 29-27 win over WAC member San Diego State last Saturday at Aztecs Stadium."

SDSU now plays in the WAC? Nice.

DTSpider
September 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM
He missed the Richmond game.

I'm worried that he picked Richmond to beat UVA. I think he only picked Richmond to win once or twice last year and I know one of those was against Towson. Bad omen.

Wolfman
September 4th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I'd like to see you critics be able to write articles on over 100 college football teams without screwing up once in awhile. Give him a break. He only makes McDonalds level compensation for doing this stuff!

smallcollegefbfan
September 4th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Haha he had LSU. He missed the Richmond game and he picked 3 FCS over FBS upsets that did not happen.

G.S.Green
September 4th, 2008, 06:16 PM
So he has Hampton down 18 to SIU on the road.xrolleyesx I don't know about that. I think it will be much closer.

JBB
September 4th, 2008, 06:17 PM
He is wrong on a few minor details but 15-4 aint bad. I think he has a handle on things.

Ivytalk
September 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
He is wrong on a few minor details but 15-4 aint bad. I think he has a handle on things.

I agree. Cut Coulson a break. All the App-State haters should get over it. The guy knows his FCS football.xnodx

elkmcc
September 4th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Heck, why not just make up what you are too lazy to actually look up xrolleyesx

Give the guy some credit. He's not lazy, just learning how to use the internets.xlolx

He did however give Montana credit for a win they never got. (12-1) Maybe that his his idea of a make up call?

mvemjsunpx
September 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I'd like to see you critics be able to write articles on over 100 college football teams without screwing up once in awhile. Give him a break. He only makes McDonalds level compensation for doing this stuff!

It's not just a while, it's a lot.

Coulson has screwed up more in 1+ years than Dougherty or Moss did in their entire tenures.

I'd like to see you critics be able to write articles on over 100 college football teams without screwing up once in awhile.

That's pretty hypocritical of you, isn't it? Looking at your constant, baseless & irrational attacks on Bobby Hauck, one wonders how you would fare with the Griz coaching job.

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 4th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I agree. Cut Coulson a break. All the App-State haters should get over it. The guy knows his FCS football.xnodx

Yea, but he apparently does NOT know his FBS football. The Citadel is good, but will not be able to contain Davis and Spiller. It might be a closer game than usual, but El Cid isn't going to be walking away with a 'W' this week.

skinny_uncle
September 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM
From the Coulson article on the Hampton@SIU game:

Joe Allaria takes over at quarterback for graduated star Nick Hill and Richard White looks to become the latest in a line of great Southern Illinois tailbacks.

Allaria and White are both listed at #2 on the SIU depth chart at their respective positions. The SIU website has Chris Dieker listed as the starting QB and Larry Warner as the starter at running back. His info is a little out of date.

gofurman
September 4th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Yea, but he apparently does NOT know his FBS football. The Citadel is good, but will not be able to contain Davis and Spiller. It might be a closer game than usual, but El Cid isn't going to be walking away with a 'W' this week.

Agreed - I would love to see it as a SoCon guy but it just ain't gonna happen. Wait, doesn't T Bowden coach at Clemson? Maybe it will...

JK, too much talent. If they (Clemson) will just realize that they have two first-rounders in the backfield and hand off to them a fair bit it will be over. I will say that Clemson's OL ain't real hot though and now is down one man (one of their better ones).

If Clemson loses Bowden should be shown the door. Clemson probably has 7 draft-worthy players at least ...

JayJ79
September 4th, 2008, 10:51 PM
And he calls St. Ambrose (South Dakota's week 1 opponent) a D-III school, when they are NAIA.

I applaud his efforts in covering the FCS on a (mostly) national level, which is a rather rare thing. But it's best to stick with the facts when writing an article. If you don't know something, you can't just make something up.

smallcollegefbfan
September 4th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Agreed - I would love to see it as a SoCon guy but it just ain't gonna happen. Wait, doesn't T Bowden coach at Clemson? Maybe it will...

JK, too much talent. If they (Clemson) will just realize that they have two first-rounders in the backfield and hand off to them a fair bit it will be over. I will say that Clemson's OL ain't real hot though and now is down one man (one of their better ones).

If Clemson loses Bowden should be shown the door. Clemson probably has 7 draft-worthy players at least ...

Boths backs are talented but not sure they both go first round. A lot will depend on how Davis runs I'm sure. Some people think he is only a high 4.4 or low 4.5 guy. Clemson might have more than 7 draft worthy players. Spiller, Davis, Harper, Grisham, Kelly, Austin, Sapp, Scott, Jackson, Clemons, Hamlin, etc. That is about 11 players I have seen listed on the net as draft worthy.

What if The Citadel does indeed beat them? I would bet Bowden is unemployed by Monday morning, maybe Sunday morning.

CID1990
September 5th, 2008, 03:18 AM

Furman held them to less than 40 combined last year.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Furman held them to less than 40 combined last year.

And it wasn't as though they didn't carry the ball either. I think Spiller had 1 yard on 12 carries. Furman was also able to sack the CU quarterback 5 times.