PDA

View Full Version : UMass-Holy Cross Mudbowl Preview

KAUMASS
September 4th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Anyone know how Fitton Field holds up in the rain?

UMass-coming off a 28-16 win over Albany. UMass struggled in the first quarter and had their cage rattled, but woke up and played solid the remaining 3 quarters. Credit is due to Albany, who is an excellent football team. Albany beat Delaware convincingly 2 years ago at Delaware. Albany took on Montana last year at Montana and it was tied 7-7 at 8:40 in the second period. Halftime was 14-7, Montana. Montana jumped out to a 28-7 lead at 10 minutes remaining in the game. Albany pulled to 28-14 with 6:43 remaining in the game. Montana iced it and won 35-14.
Much kudos to Albany.

UMass may tweak it's o-line a bit this week, as rumors from practice have stated the O-line was chewed a new one and went through some hard drills and practices. We ran for good yardage and made the plays we had to make against a good Albany team and the coaches seemed pissed. That tells me we did not play to our full potential last week(we know), but a win is a win, especially an opener. We did shuffle our O-line the first few games last year as well. Most teams will tweak a few areas in the first games anyhow.

Holy Cross: Opener for them. Good solid football team. Excellent QB with a big offensive line avg. 6'4", 298. Good running back that can catch out of the backfield. TE is 6'4", 230 who caught 12 passes for 113 yds last year. Was named all league at TE, but only started 6 games. Stats for catching weren't great, maybe he is a good blocker. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he was named all league..HC rushed for 128 yds/game and 335 passing/game.

Defense: play a 3-4. D' line avg 6'1", 245. One D line backup is a kid 6'1", 315 who started 3 games last year before an injury. I would imagine him getting some reps. LB's average 6'1", 219. DB's return two starters, and 2 reserves who had some expierence last year that round out the defense.

We played a sloppy game against URI on grass in hurricane remnants last year. Rain should favor UMass with its ground game and big O-line, with expierience in a wet game with 40-50 mph winds like URI last year(loss).(I'm not sure who HC played during that storm last year) IF HC can't pass due to conditions, can they run against UMass? This will be an interesting game as both teams go in with question marks as this is HC's first game of the year.

Umass74
September 4th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Hopefully we will have a better game plan than the "Noel Bowl" where we ran a reverse on the first play (and fumbled). And we turned down a field goal that would have won the game in regulation.

Two images from my trip last year. Neither really shows how bad it was. At one point the refs discussed what they were going to do if one of the goalposts blew over.

When I got back to my car, water was running out of my digital camera.

CrusaderBob
September 4th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Fitton Holds up pretty well to rain. My understanding is that heavy rains will not start until later in the day. Saw one forecast that predicted 0.75" - 1.0" during the day. If that is the case and it is just a steady rain, not several (or steady) downpours, the field should be OK.

brownbear
September 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Hopefully we will have a better game plan than the "Noel Bowl" where we ran a reverse on the first play (and fumbled). And we turned down a field goal that would have won the game in regulation.

Two images from my trip last year. Neither really shows how bad it was. At one point the refs discussed what they were going to do if one of the goalposts blew over.

When I got back to my car, water was running out of my digital camera.

That was the day Brown played Yale at the Yale Bowl. Only 3,000 fans showed up that day. On Brown's the first possession, our kicker slipped and flew up in the air (Charlie Brown style), our QB, who had three games during the year with over 400 passing yards, was confined to under 90 passing yards. Brown kept it close, in the third quarter it was 10-7 Yale, when the ball fell backwards out of the Yale QB's hand and a Brown player took it and ran it into the endzone. Unfortunately, the play was ruled an incomplete pass, Yale held the ball, and they scored a TD on that drive to put the game away 17-7.

That day sucked.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2133/2279454855_96345e3bcf.jpg?v=0

Umass74
September 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM
That was the day Brown played Yale at the Yale Bowl. Only 3,000 fans showed up that day. On Brown's the first possession, our kicker slipped and flew up in the air (Charlie Brown style), our QB, who had three games during the year with over 400 passing yards, was confined to under 90 passing yards. Brown kept it close, in the third quarter it was 10-7 Yale, when the ball fell backwards out of the Yale QB's hand and a Brown player took it and ran it into the endzone. Unfortunately, the play was ruled an incomplete pass, Yale held the ball, and they scored a TD on that drive to put the game away 17-7.

That day sucked.

I believe you Brown Bear. It was bad all over New England.

One UMass punt went for -1 yards. It went up. It went down field. It turned around and came back. xrotatehx