18. Elon
19. The Citadel
20. Western Illinois
21. South Dakota St.
22. Eastern Illinois
23. Furman
24. Central Arkansas
25. Eastern Kentucky
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Fordham (62), Harvard (48), Yale (46), Montana St. (39), Sam Houston St. (35), Northern Arizona (33), UC Davis (23), Liberty (22), Hampton (21), South Carolina St. (18), Albany (13), Delaware St. (12), Jacksonville St. (12), Holy Cross (9), North Dakota (9), Hofstra (7), Weber St. (7), Illinois St. (6), Nicholls St. (6), Norfolk St. (6), Stony Brook (5)

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Cal Poly
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Elon

PRESS RELEASE:

AGS Poll Week One: Appalachian State Remains No. 1

Chicago, IL -- Reigning National Champion Appalachian State landed the top spot in the first AnyGivenSaturday.com (AGS) Poll of the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) season released today, garnering 86 first place votes.

Following the Mountaineers in the top ten were (in order): Richmond, North Dakota State, Massachusetts, Northern Iowa, Cal Poly, McNeese State, Montana, James Madison, and Delaware. The full results are listed below.

Three other teams received first place votes including Richmond (30), North Dakota State (22), and Cal Poly (2).

A total of 21 squads received more than the five votes required to receive mention outside of the top 25.

The Colonial Athletic Association, the FCS’s largest league, and the Missouri Valley Football and Southern Conferences lead the way with six teams each in the Top 25; the Big Sky, Ohio Valley and Southland Conferences had two each, and the Great West Football Conference was represented with one squad.

Fordham and Yale dropped from the top 25 as Western Illinois and Central Arkansas leaped into the rankings.

The pollsters also named Cal Poly's win over FBS San Diego State as the Most Significant Win Of The Week and Elon's defeat to Richmond as the Most Significant Loss Of The Week.

AGS is the world’s largest online community devoted to all of the FCS and has been hailed as "the largest collection of FCS afficionados on the planet." The AGS Poll was created in 2004 to give distinguished members of the AGS community a place to voice their opinion, vote for the top 25 FCS programs in the nation, and provide the media and coaches of FCS a valuable resource to gauge general sentiment.

In comparison to other polls, the AGS Poll had as many or more of it’s preseason top 25 on it’s final regular season poll than either of the other two polls (coaches and media) had on their’s since their inception four years ago. The AGS Poll also had as many or more of it’s preseason top 25 on it’s final regular season poll make the playoffs than either of the other two polls the past four years.

In order to ensure that the poll is accurate and fair, a committee of AGS veteran members has established guidelines for voter eligibility and accountability. The AGS Poll will be announced weekly throughout the season on Mondays and a final poll will be announced shortly after the National Championship game.

Complete rankings:

Team (First-place votes) Record Points Previous Rank
1. Appalachian St. (86) 0-1 3384 1
2. Richmond (30) 1-0 3201 3
3. North Dakota St. (22) 1-0 3161 4
4. Massachusetts 1-0 2662 6
5. Northern Iowa 0-1 2568 5
6. Cal Poly (2) 1-0 2508 13
7. McNeese St. 0-1 2477 8
8. Montana 0-0 2431 7
9. James Madison 0-1 2419 2
10. Delaware 0-1 2396 11
11. Eastern Washington 0-1 2210 9
12. Wofford 1-0 1944 10
13. Southern Illinois 0-0 1774 12
14. Youngstown St. 0-1 1370 14
15. Georgia Southern 0-1 1206 16
16. New Hampshire 0-0 1091 20
17. Villanova 0-1 1075 17
18. Elon 0-1 926 15
19. The Citadel 1-0 899 21
20. Western Illinois 0-1 879 NR
21. South Dakota St. 0-1 748 18
22. Eastern Illinois 0-1 675 19
23. Furman 1-0 452 25
24. Central Arkansas 1-0 366 NR
25. Eastern Kentucky 0-1 316 22

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Fordham (62), Harvard (48), Yale (46), Montana St. (39), Sam Houston St. (35), Northern Arizona (33), UC Davis (23), Liberty (22), Hampton (21), South Carolina St. (18), Albany (13), Delaware St. (12), Jacksonville St. (12), Holy Cross (9), North Dakota (9), Hofstra (7), Weber St. (7), Illinois St. (6), Nicholls St. (6), Norfolk St. (6), Stony Brook (5)

Dropped out: Fordham, Yale.

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Cal Poly
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Elon

APPALACHIANstate
September 4th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Nice...

89Hen
September 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM
15. Georgia Southern
16. New Hampshire
22. Eastern Illinois
24. Central Arkansas
25. Eastern Kentucky
All a little high IMO. xpeacex

Gil Dobie
September 4th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Great Job voters xthumbsupx

JoshUCA
September 4th, 2008, 12:19 PM

We will find out what UCA is really made of this weekend when we host UC Davis! GO BEARS!

danefan
September 4th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I think Delaware is too low. They really looked strong against Maryland.

AGSPoll
September 4th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Very good participation. Thanks to all for the effort and patiencexthumbsupx

GOKATS
September 4th, 2008, 12:24 PM
140 voters, that's pretty good.

appstate38
September 4th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Picking the top 12-15 was fairly easy. It was the bottom half of the poll that proved a little challenging. Never the less it was great to be able to participate.

89Hen
September 4th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Very good participation. Thanks to all for the effort and patiencexthumbsupx
Great work getting it out quickly poll. xthumbsupx

JDC325
September 4th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Picking the top 12-15 was fairly easy. It was the bottom half of the poll that proved a little challenging. Never the less it was great to be able to participate.

Exactly, I stressed over the last ten more than the top 15....

I had UD higher with that great showing against UM.

WrenFGun
September 4th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Good work, voters. It appears I was in the minority about Richmond being #1. Seriously, though, what does Cal Poly have to do to rise? UMass beats Albany by 12 and is ahead of CP? I think Wofford and Georgia Southern are far too high. Happy to see UCA made the poll, as they were an oversight on my part in the first.

appfan2008
September 4th, 2008, 01:22 PM
there is a clear cut top 15 as others have said this year that makes things easier... all you have to do is place them... past that it seems like a crap shoot...

appfan2008
September 4th, 2008, 01:26 PM
also
6 CAA
6 MVFC
6 Socon

good lord... 3 conferences truly dominate this thing!

Big Sky, Southland, Ohio Valley each grab 2

and the Great West rounds it out to 25 with one...

that leaves the big south, ivies, indys, meac, northeast, pioneer, patriot, and swac without a single team!

letsgopards04
September 4th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I am excited to be doing the poll for the first time. Like most others the top 15 was easy because most of them played. It is hard to rank teams that haven't played yet.

appfan2008
September 4th, 2008, 01:29 PM
of course the number goes down every season and my guess is we will finish the year somewhere around 100 people... always happens

Hoyadestroya85
September 4th, 2008, 01:30 PM
also
6 CAA
6 MVFC
6 Socon

good lord... 3 conferences truly dominate this thing!

Big Sky, Southland, Ohio Valley each grab 2

and the Great West rounds it out to 25 with one...

that leaves the big south, ivies, indys, meac, northeast, pioneer, patriot, and swac without a single team!

Fordham, Yale and harvarde should be in that

appfan2008
September 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Fordham, Yale and harvarde should be in that

why? none of them were in the top 25!

they finished 26-28 that is not the top 25 xrulesx

KAUMASS
September 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Good work, voters. It appears I was in the minority about Richmond being #1. Seriously, though, what does Cal Poly have to do to rise? UMass beats Albany by 12 and is ahead of CP? I think Wofford and Georgia Southern are far too high. Happy to see UCA made the poll, as they were an oversight on my part in the first.

Wren-I thought Umass would drop as well, but after some research, Albany deserves some more respect. They beat Delaware soundly 2 years ago, and the gave Montana a game last year. 7-7 in the second Q, 14-7 at halftime, Montana leading. 28-7 in the fourth, but Albany came back to 28-14 with 6:43 remaining. Albany seems to step up and play well at bigger venues. Don't take Albany lightly this year, they have a big offensive line and a great RB. QB is very good.

Good luck against Army.

89Hen
September 4th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Seriously, though, what does Cal Poly have to do to rise? UMass beats Albany by 12 and is ahead of CP?
Why the urgency? This early in the season I think you are still having to rely heavily on expectations and not results. That's not to say results don't matter, it's just that they're limited. I flipped Richmond and JMU in my ballot because of the results. But if you went solely on results, you'd have to take Montana out of your ballot because they don't have any results yet. xpeacex

mcveyrl
September 4th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Why the urgency? This early in the season I think you are still having to rely heavily on expectations and not results. That's not to say results don't matter, it's just that they're limited. I flipped Richmond and JMU in my ballot because of the results. But if you went solely on results, you'd have to take Montana out of your ballot because they don't have any results yet. xpeacex

I agree. And would add that even the results we have are somewhat limited in what they mean. Richmond moved way up in my ballot and JMU dropped several spots. But what if Elon is 0-11 and Duke wins the ACC (I know, I know), those results don't mean what they think we mean right now. Of course by the time we know what our early results mean (if anything), a lot of this will sort itself out.

RabidRabbit
September 4th, 2008, 02:02 PM

For Cal Poly to rise they'll need to have great wins over their ranked opponents. Montana is next, McNeese St. and So Dak St. are in the wings to play later.

If UC Davis picks off Central Ark at Central Ark, then look for UC Davis to make the top 25.

2 top 25 match-ups plus 1 top 25 vs ORV game this weekend.

Cal Poly host Montana for a top 10 matchup
#21 SDSU hosts #14 Youngstown St for the inaugural MoValley football game.
#24 Central Ark host ORV UC-Davis

appfan2008
September 4th, 2008, 02:07 PM
For Cal Poly to rise they'll need to have great wins over their ranked opponents. Montana is next, McNeese St. and So Dak St. are in the wings to play later.

If UC Davis picks off Central Ark at Central Ark, then look for UC Davis to make the top 25.

2 top 25 match-ups plus 1 top 25 vs ORV game this weekend.

Cal Poly host Montana for a top 10 matchup
#21 SDSU hosts #14 Youngstown St for the inaugural MoValley football game.
#24 Central Ark host ORV UC-Davis

I had cal poly number 3 which was a pretty big jump for me... how they manage to be stuck at 6 i have no idea...

Fordham
September 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM
why? none of them were in the top 25!

they finished 26-28 that is not the top 25 xrulesx
we were top 25 ton finish things last year and return pretty much the entire team. Then, we were top 25 in the pre-season poll a few weeks ago.

we have yet to play a game since the UMASS playoff game and now we get bumped out.

I understand how things happen and overall this will be settled on the field pretty quickly. However, with where we finished last year and all we have coming back, I think we can make a pretty good argument for at least being included in the top 25 to start the season.

appfan2008
September 4th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I agree. And would add that even the results we have are somewhat limited in what they mean. Richmond moved way up in my ballot and JMU dropped several spots. But what if Elon is 0-11 and Duke wins the ACC (I know, I know), those results don't mean what they think we mean right now. Of course by the time we know what our early results mean (if anything), a lot of this will sort itself out.

hey it could happen... maybe not this year but soon...

danefan
September 4th, 2008, 02:11 PM
we were top 25 ton finish things last year and return pretty much the entire team. Then, we were top 25 in the pre-season poll a few weeks ago.

we have yet to play a game since the UMASS playoff game and now we get bumped out.

I understand how things happen and overall this will be settled on the field pretty quickly. However, with where we finished last year and all we have coming back, I think we can make a pretty good argument for at least being included in the top 25 to start the season.

You have the same argument that Albany has. Played UMass tough. Except you haven't done it this year. I think Albany is the #25 team, but only 12 other people agree with me on that.

Ranking the 15-25 spots was nearly impossible in this week. xcoffeex

WrenFGun
September 4th, 2008, 02:14 PM
FWIW, I had Fordham at 24 and Cal Poly at #3. I had CP ahead of UMass to begin the year, and still do now. UD shot up my boards with the week one effort.

Fordham
September 4th, 2008, 02:16 PM
You have the same argument that Albany has. Played UMass tough. Except you haven't done it this year. I think Albany is the #25 team, but only 12 other people agree with me on that.

Ranking the 15-25 spots was nearly impossible in this week. xcoffeex
was Albany in the top 25 to end the year last year and in the top 25 for the pre-season poll? Honestly, I don't know the answer to that since I've been trying to find both polls in the archives but can't.

AppAlum2003
September 4th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I chose not to participate, though I was eligible. I just don't feel like I know enough about the rest of FCS to accurately judge who is better is whom. (is that the correct grammar?) Maybe next year.

danefan
September 4th, 2008, 02:19 PM
was Albany in the top 25 to end the year last year and in the top 25 for the pre-season poll? Honestly, I don't know the answer to that since I've been trying to find both polls in the archives but can't.

No. Because they got whooped by Dayton in the Gridiron Classic. I don't think last year's polls or the preseason polls should matter though. I think it should be based on performance of week 1.

Which is why its so hard to rank. Not everyone played.

RabidRabbit
September 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM

You were.....preseason.

Win, starting next week, and likely to be in again.

Either SDSU or Youngstown will be 0-2 come Sunday. With the strength of the MoValley this year, whichever is 0-2 is likely to be out of the top 25, and with good reason.xoopsx

McNeese72
September 4th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I chose not to participate, though I was eligible. I just don't feel like I know enough about the rest of FCS to accurately judge who is better is whom. (is that the correct grammar?) Maybe next year.

I decline to participate, also. The reason is the same as the reason last season when I was personally asked. I take pictures at the McNeese games on Saturday night (usually night). So, I spend most of Sunday going through all the pictures and selecting the ones I want to put on Doc's Shots of Geauxcowboys.com. After selecting them, I have to rename them, enhance (if needed) and then shrink them down to web acceptable size. Then I put them in pages with captions and upload the pages and the picture files. Takes me most of the day Sunday, if I work on them alone. If I have other things to do like yardwork, then I might not get through until Monday.

So, I feel like I don't have time to research the other teams enough to make any intelligent decisions on who to vote where. So, I pass on participating. It's not like I don't like the AGS poll.

Doc
Doc's Shots (http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/index.asp) McNeese Football Pictures

89Hen
September 4th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I take pictures at the McNeese games on Saturday night (usually night). So, I spend most of Sunday going through all the pictures and selecting the ones I want to put on Doc's Shots of Geauxcowboys.com.
And no offense to your polling skills, but we are all better off having you do what you do. xsmiley_wix xbowx

89Hen
September 4th, 2008, 04:26 PM
UD shot up my boards with the week one effort.
FWIW, I viewed UD's game against MD as more of a validation for those that had them higher, but not a reason to move them up. There were a lot of games like that. I felt pretty good about my pre-season ballot through week one. I had the Hens higher (#10) than I think I've ever had them pre-season in the AGS. I also had CP and Richmond in my top 10. xthumbsupx

leatherneck177
September 4th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Good poll. I agree on the Top 15, but from 21-25 it was very tough.

It will be interesting to see what team rises up from the "receiving votes" into the Top 15 this year.

PantherRob82
September 4th, 2008, 04:43 PM

I had a hard time with the bottom too. Hopefully it gets clearer this week.

Grizaholic17
September 4th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Definitely the bottom was an issue for everyone. The first week poll is the toughest. I think EWU is in the perfect spot, and that Cal Poly should be a little higher. But 6 is not bad. Nice work guys.

LehighFan11
September 4th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I think both Albany and Fordham have been getting a raw deal. I voted Albany 24th this week after a very strong showing vs. Umass. I voted Fordham 16th or 17th in the preseason and kept them there for this week. They made a strong post season appearance last year and are returning many of their best players. Until they lose they defiantly deserve to be ranked.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM

Why do you think UNH and GSU are too high?

Col Hogan
September 4th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I take it PantherRob had a hard time with the poll...xwhistlex xpeacex

danefan
September 4th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I think both Albany and Fordham have been getting a raw deal. I voted Albany 24th this week after a very strong showing vs. Umass. I voted Fordham 16th or 17th in the preseason and kept them there for this week. They made a strong post season appearance last year and are returning many of their best players. Until they lose they defiantly deserve to be ranked.

People are never going to give Albany any respect. They cannot fathom that a team from the NEC can be any good.

Look at almost all of the analysis of the UMass game. "unimpressive" win. "UMass looked terrible" etc etc etc.

Now maybe UMass didn't play its greatest game ever but do people really think that Albany had nothing to do with that? The UMass fans who were there have given Albany props on here, but other than that the assumption has been that UMass was the reason for the game being close. Not Albany.xconfusedx

Sorry. Just frustrating. That's ok though. Albany will play its game and hopefully come away with a wins the next two weeks and a good showing against Delaware. We'll just have to hope people finally wake up and vote accordingly. Remember....the polls actually count for the NEC teams this year!

Rob Iola
September 4th, 2008, 08:25 PM
People are never going to give Albany any respect. They cannot fathom that a team from the NEC can be any good.

Look at almost all of the analysis of the UMass game. "unimpressive" win. "UMass looked terrible" etc etc etc.

Now maybe UMass didn't play its greatest game ever but do people really think that Albany had nothing to do with that? The UMass fans who were there have given Albany props on here, but other than that the assumption has been that UMass was the reason for the game being close. Not Albany.xconfusedx

Sorry. Just frustrating. That's ok though. Albany will play its game and hopefully come away with a wins the next two weeks and a good showing against Delaware. We'll just have to hope people finally wake up and vote accordingly. Remember....the polls actually count for the NEC teams this year!
Hey - I have a ton of respect for Albany after they came into Delaware and beat the Hens. But the poll's a different animal - you gotta win to get a ranking if you haven't made the playoffs recently (cuz prior season rankings carry over). Beat Delaware and I'll give you a top 10 ranking... xthumbsupx

URMite
September 4th, 2008, 09:12 PM

What I thought was odd was that both Umass and Albany get a slight bump up. Since it was a reasonably close game I thought either Albany should move up (my opinion) or UMass should move down. But how do they move in the same direction?

Other points about the poll...EWU moves down several places? i thought did fine against Texas Tech.

And glad to see by the Arkansas game, that I wasn't completely clueless to put WIU in the top 25 preseasonxwhistlex .

As for Cal-Poly, I think what is dragging out their rise is their #24 ranking at the end of last year. They were probably better than that but lost some close games. Since I didn't see any new stars, just the same good group with more experience, I could justify but so much of a rise until they had played. And even then there were teams ahead of them with good performances, I think one more victory, will make them a top 4 staple until (if) they lose. Of course, they have the opportunity to cement that position with a 3rd victory.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 4th, 2008, 10:12 PM
What I thought was odd was that both Umass and Albany get a slight bump up. Since it was a reasonably close game I thought either Albany should move up (my opinion) or UMass should move down. But how do they move in the same direction?

Other points about the poll...EWU moves down several places? i thought did fine against Texas Tech.

And glad to see by the Arkansas game, that I wasn't completely clueless to put WIU in the top 25 preseasonxwhistlex .

As for Cal-Poly, I think what is dragging out their rise is their #24 ranking at the end of last year. They were probably better than that but lost some close games. Since I didn't see any new stars, just the same good group with more experience, I could justify but so much of a rise until they had played. And even then there were teams ahead of them with good performances, I think one more victory, will make them a top 4 staple until (if) they lose. Of course, they have the opportunity to cement that position with a 3rd victory.

Indeed we did... we kept it a game through 3 quarters, only down by 11 at the beginning of the 4th. But we're always underrated until we get into the playoffs and take out a seed (SIU, McNeese). We'll keep the Colorado game this weekend a nailbiter, if not making it a shocker, and then maybe we'll open some eyes to the caliber of team we really are this year. xcoffeex

89Hen
September 5th, 2008, 08:17 AM
C'mon dane, you are better than that. You know plenty of people have voted for Albany in the past and have shown a lot of respect for the Danes... Lehigh fans, Delaware fans, Montana fans....

The expectations coming into this year were that Albany wasn't going to have one of their best teams and that UMass was the clear cut favorite to win the CAA North. I think the reaction of the game just shows this.

NDSUguy
September 5th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I don't want to start a pissing match with my post however, I am curious to get inside the heads of the voters who placed votes for the University of North Dakota.

Did they receive votes based upon the premace that they would be a good team?
Did they receive votes because they were a contender in d2?
Was it possible that voters forgot that Texas AM Kingsville is a d2 team?

Again, i'm not bringing this up because i'm an NDSU guy but more that i'm curious as to what the voters used as justification to vote for UND.

discuss.

appfan2008
September 5th, 2008, 08:34 AM
i voted for und at 25 bc i really wasnt sure who else to put in there and they seemed to be a team that has a chance... due to their past (in d2)... that they might be good... its early...

danefan
September 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
C'mon dane, you are better than that. You know plenty of people have voted for Albany in the past and have shown a lot of respect for the Danes... Lehigh fans, Delaware fans, Montana fans....

The expectations coming into this year were that Albany wasn't going to have one of their best teams and that UMass was the clear cut favorite to win the CAA North. I think the reaction of the game just shows this.

I guess you're right. Its just frustrating. And while this is being discussed in the AGS thread, I think its more apparent in the other polls. I don't understand how a team like San Diego get more votes than Albany. Albany didn't receive a single vote in the coaches poll and only 2 votes in the TSN. San Diego with 10 and Colgate with 20 in the TSN is nuts to me.

And it happens ever year and I know its early in the season and the "others" receiving votes thing is stupid to argue over. You have to understand how its frustrating, especially when the polls actually mean something.

appfan2008
September 5th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I guess you're right. Its just frustrating. And while this is being discussed in the AGS thread, I think its more apparent in the other polls. I don't understand how a team like San Diego get more votes than Albany. Albany didn't receive a single vote in the coaches poll and only 2 votes in the TSN. San Diego with 10 and Colgate with 20 in the TSN is nuts to me.

And it happens ever year and I know its early in the season and the "others" receiving votes thing is stupid to argue over. You have to understand how its frustrating, especially when the polls actually mean something.

how so?

danefan
September 5th, 2008, 08:45 AM
how so?

The NEC's conditional auto-bid for the next two years is dependent on the following:

1. win 8 games
2. win 2 games against auto-bid teams
3. be ranked 16 or higher in the average of the TSN and Coaches Poll and the GPI.

If the conference champ does that, then they get an auto-bid. (which is stupid to call it because they'd get an at-large if they did that).

APPALACHIANstate
September 5th, 2008, 08:45 AM
how so?

Well....

I'll gladly give up APPS position for a guaranteed spot in the playoffs.

Stang Fever
September 5th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Can someone Explain to me why Richmond is NUMBER 2!! and NO one is making a fuss about it???
Stop me if I am wrong but Didnt they LOOSE to ELON???

NDSU has to be number 2 if Richmond can LOOSE and be number 2

danefan
September 5th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Can someone Explain to me why Richmond is NUMBER 2!! and NO one is making a fuss about it???

Richmond won in convincing fashion.

That should explain a lot.

(and its lose, not loose).

GeauxLions94
September 5th, 2008, 09:40 AM
140 voters, that's pretty good.

Would have been 141, or more since I don't believe JStO voted since he doesn't have power right now. I was on my way back home from Alabama. Hopefully will be able to vote next week.

appfan2008
September 5th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Well....

I'll gladly give up APPS position for a guaranteed spot in the playoffs.

that is the the reason i said what i did... we dont need our top spot ot be in the playoffs... thats why i agree that the polls shouldnt matter!... unfortunately they do for our friend here from albany...

AGSPoll
September 5th, 2008, 09:41 AM

making mental note to selfxeyebrowx

I hope you can take a jokexsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

appfan2008
September 5th, 2008, 09:42 AM

are you really that dumb?

this comment doesnt deserve to be read...

RICHMOND WON... BIG... ON THE ROAD...

IT IS LOSE NOT LOOSE... and it wasnt a typo since you did it twice xlolx

89Hen
September 5th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I think its more apparent in the other polls. I don't understand how a team like San Diego get more votes than Albany. Albany didn't receive a single vote in the coaches poll and only 2 votes in the TSN. San Diego with 10 and Colgate with 20 in the TSN is nuts to me.
It's no coincidence that the AGS Poll has been the most accurate since it's inception. I know for a fact that most of the coaches don't see 1/10th of the info on teams around the country that we do here and even a lot of the TSN voters don't (I can't say most or all because some of them are in fact on AGS). We try to educate people around the country at AGS. xthumbsupx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I would classify the AGS poll as "The Best Homer Poll" available.

Now this does not mean I think it anything less than the best poll, period. I do. The coaches don't know a damn thing outside of their conference. But the poll is still a collection of fans, and most fans come from the CAA, SoCon and MVC - thus 6 teams from each. I am not sure whether or not teams 4-6 in each of those conferences are all worthy of a top 25 spot.

BUT, without playing and winning against these bigger conferences (big in the BCS meaning of big), these teams will continue to dominate the polls even as they beat each other up.

I think the fact that Albany and UMass both moved up from preseason says a couple of things:

1. High visibility games give you recognition, even if you are the underdog and lose. Keep it admirable, and your team gets national respect.

2. Winning against a FCS team is worth more than losing to a FBS team. xeekx Of course a W is better than a L.

OL FU
September 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM

Now this does not mean I think it anything less than the best poll, period. I do. The coaches don't know a damn thing outside of their conference. But the poll is still a collection of fans, and most fans come from the CAA, SoCon and MVC - thus 6 teams from each. I am not sure whether or not teams 4-6 in each of those conferences are all worthy of a top 25 spot.

BUT, without playing and winning against these bigger conferences (big in the BCS meaning of big), these teams will continue to dominate the polls even as they beat each other up.

I think the fact that Albany and UMass both moved up from preseason says a couple of things:

1. High visibility games give you recognition, even if you are the underdog and lose. Keep it admirable, and your team gets national respect.

2. Winning against a FCS team is worth more than losing to a FBS team. xeekx Of course a W is better than a L.

I think 6 teams from each conference says it is early in the season. Personally, I think that there are from 5 to 7 teams from each of those conferences that might be top 25 and people differ on which ones they are but in the accumulation you end up with that many. As the season progresses, it probably will change.

On the other hand, it doesn't hurt that a lot of our posters are from those conferences. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
September 5th, 2008, 10:46 AM

I'm sure there are people who vote a little bit "homerish", but the results of the poll seem pretty darn accurate over the years.

National Semifinalists in the last 10 years (winner and runner-up listed first):

2007: Appalachian State, Delaware, Richmond, Southern Illinois
2006: Appalachain State, Massachusetts, Youngstown State, Montana
2005: Appalachian State, Northern Iowa, Furman, Texas State
2004: James Madison, Montana, William & Mary, Sam Houston State
2003: Delaware, Colgate, Florida Atlantic, Wofford
2002: Western Kentucky, McNeese State, Georgia Southern, Villanova
2001: Montana, Furman, Georgia Southern, Northern Iowa
2000: Georgia Southern, Montana, Appalachian State, Delaware
1999: Georgia Southern,Youngstown State, Florida A&M, Illinois State
1998: Massachusetts, Georgia Southern, Western Illinois, Northwestern State

By my count thats...

National Championship Games
SoCon - 7 (3 different teams)
CAA - 5 (3 different teams)
MVFC - 3 (3 different teams)
BSC - 3 (1 team)
Southland - 1
PL - 1

Total Semifinalists
SoCon - 11 (4 teams)
CAA - 9 (6 teams)
MCFC - 8 (6 teams)
BSC - 4 (1 team)
Southland - 4 (4 teams)

I think this presents a pretty good case that these three conferences have the most teams worthy of a top 25 spot. That's not to say there aren't other good teams out there, but when those three show that much success in the playoffs, it's undeniable. And I don't want to hear it's because they get so many teams in. You still have to beat teams from other conferences. Remember, you can't face your own conference in the first round. xpeacex

CID1990
September 5th, 2008, 11:04 AM

I thought Cal Poly was one of those smart people schools.

IndianaAppMan
September 5th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Actually, they Didnt LOOSE to ELON. They WINNED by 18 on the RODE!

Monarch History
September 5th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks to all those who voted in the poll. It will be fun to watch how things materialize during the season. xnodx