PDA

View Full Version : The Sports Network picks El Cid over Clemson

PTW16
September 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM
No. 20 The Citadel (1-0) at No. 22 (FBS) Clemson (0-1)

For the first time in seven seasons, The Citadel Bulldogs and the Clemson Tigers will renew their intrastate rivalry. Clemson claimed a 38-0 win over the Bulldogs to commence the 2000 season.

With Clemson getting dominated in emphatic fashion (34-10 loss to Alabama) in its season-opener, there's a feel around Charleston that the Bulldogs have a solid chance of knocking off their first FBS foe since the 1992 season, when the Bulldogs pulled off a 10-3 victory over a Jack Crowe-led Arkansas team.

The Citadel was the SoCon's top defensive unit last fall and returns eight starters from that unit. Despite graduating its top two tacklers, Andrew Rowell and Josh Lawson, the Bulldogs have the potential to be even better on that side of the ball this fall.

In its 54-7 season-opening win over Webber International, the Bulldogs held the Warriors to just 198 yards of total offense, including a mere 78 yards on the ground. The Bulldogs have veterans Kevin McCaskill and Terrence Reese along the defensive line, Jonathan Vest at linebacker and Mel Capers and Dwight House in the Bulldogs' secondary.

Clemson's offense was stymied by an Alabama defense that held the Tigers to 188 yards of total offense and zero yards rushing. Quarterback Cullen Harper was sacked three times and took numerous hard hits.

Clemson has also had its share of troubles in recent memory against SoCon teams, particularly in contests against Appalachian State (23-12 in 1997), and Furman (24-13 in 2003, 19-3 in 1996). Even its 38-10 win over Furman last year was much closer than the score.

Bulldog Quarterback Bart Blanchard, now the full-time starter for the Bulldogs, after the departure of the school's all-time leading passer Duran Lawson, had another strong showing in his fourth-straight start for the Bulldogs after taking over for Lawson after his career-ending injury last season. Blanchard completed 12- of-14 passes for 137 yards and two touchdowns, without an interception in just over one half.

Wide receiver Andre Roberts caught three passes for 91 yards, including a career-long 78-yard scoring reception.He also returned his first-career punt for a 64 yard score to display his blazing speed in another he will be used as a weapon this fall for the Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs rolled up 385 yards of total offense and recorded 54 first downs in the week one win over the Warriors.The running game, despite the enormous loss of Tory Cooper who has graduated, appears to be in solid shape with the Asheton Jordan turning in an impressive collegiate debut, rushing for 70 yards and two scores.

The Citadel 35, Clemson 31

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4177634

appfan2008
September 4th, 2008, 09:02 AM
this doesnt deserve a response but i will give it one... TC will not be clemson... period... they are too talented and too pissed off from last week... and that is my 2 cents...

89Hen
September 4th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

andy7171
September 4th, 2008, 09:09 AM
GO THE CITADEL!!!!!

DLS
September 4th, 2008, 09:22 AM
if the citadel wins i will cut off my penis.

93henfan
September 4th, 2008, 09:25 AM
If The Citadel wins, I will drive to South Carolina and wash Citdog's car.

AshevilleApp2
September 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM
GO THE CITADEL!!!!!

Ditto!!

AppAlum2003
September 4th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Eventually, you're going to start running out of peni.

CopperCat
September 4th, 2008, 09:38 AM
And Richmond over Virginia? Uh uh, don't think so.

IaaScribe
September 4th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Picks four FCS over FBS upsets this week. No way that will happen.

AppAlum2003
September 4th, 2008, 09:42 AM

I know Virginia played a REALLY good USC team last week, but I think Richmond could give them a good game. xthumbsupx

IaaScribe
September 4th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Virginia looks completely lost on offense. I know SC is good, but the only thing the Cavs have going for them offensively is Ced Peerman. No receivers and a bad QB situation.

citdog
September 4th, 2008, 10:01 AM
THOSE GODDAMN FARMERS WON'T KNOW WHAT HIT 'EM!

citdog
September 4th, 2008, 10:31 AM
this doesnt deserve a response but i will give it one... TC will not be clemson... period... they are too talented and too pissed off from last week... and that is my 2 cents...

seems some "ned beattys" don't like it when others get more publicity than they do.....this "my nuts haven't dropped yet" youngster sounds alot like a michigan fan.

Uncle Buck
September 4th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I'd love to see it happen, but i gotta think that Clemson will do everything in their power to not start 0-2. Expectations were high in Death Valley before the Alabama game, hopefully the Citadel men can take Clemson down.

CID1990
September 4th, 2008, 11:05 AM

That will only be a miniscule loss.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

CID1990
September 4th, 2008, 11:30 AM

Richmond over UVa is a realistic prediction. No kidding. The Cavs absolutely stink this year.

jmu_duke07
September 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Richmond over Virginia is much, much more plausible than Citadel over Clemson.

citdog
September 4th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Richmond over Virginia is much, much more plausible than Citadel over Clemson.

IT'S THE CITADEL......AND YOU'LL FIND OUT

DLS
September 4th, 2008, 12:09 PM
That will only be a miniscule loss.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

size is relative

ashram
September 4th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I think Dave's picking all FCS over FBS wins this week on the chance that one (or more) of them will happen. Then he can say he's a real prognosticator. Good luck to all the FCS brethren though. FU over VT would sure as hell make my weekend.

jonmac
September 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
IT'S THE CITADEL......AND YOU'LL FIND OUT

Takes a while for some folks to learn 'dog.

Real reason for this post...citdog, make some room in your PM folder, I'm trying to send you something and it says your full. Thanks.

letsgopards04
September 4th, 2008, 01:51 PM
If The Citadel loses, Tommy Bowden should be fired on the spot. This team was supposed to be a national title contender but they are soft. Alabama beat them around and so will The Citadel.

appfan2008
September 4th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I think Dave's picking all FCS over FBS wins this week on the chance that one (or more) of them will happen. Then he can say he's a real prognosticator. Good luck to all the FCS brethren though. FU over VT would sure as hell make my weekend.

that is right... he is just trying to cover his bases so if something crazy happens then he can say he was on top of it...

appfan2008
September 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM

how did that go for you after the jmu duke game???

AppAlum2003
September 4th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I tell you what, everybody. If Richmond loses to Virginia, I'll cut DLS's penis off.

DSUrocks07
September 4th, 2008, 02:25 PM
If The Citadel loses, Tommy Bowden should be fired on the spot. This team was supposed to be a national title contender but they are soft. Alabama beat them around and so will The Citadel.

If he loses, do you think he'll give Huggins a call and ask how he did? xlolx

OL FU
September 4th, 2008, 02:27 PM
THOSE GODDAMN FARMERS WON'T KNOW WHAT HIT 'EM!

Bowden will know what Atlanta felt like when Sherman rode throughxsmiley_wix xlolx

DLS
September 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM
dont know if i can put my penis on the line for the UR vs Virginia game.

but i seriously will take a little piece off my scrote if the citadel pulls this one out. for reals.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 4th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I just want to know who this Tony Rice kid is over at EWU. Hell if he's as good as Tony Davis, I'm glad he's on the team!

lizrdgizrd
September 4th, 2008, 03:50 PM
If Citadel beats Clemson this week I will eschew my previous stance on adding "The" to that name and bestow it upon the Bellhops. Otherwise, there is no "The" until it's won on the field. ;)

skinny_uncle
September 4th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Another Coulson pick:

Hampton (1-0) at No. 12 Southern Illinois (0-0), 7 p.m.

In a memorable non-conference game from the 2007 season, Southern Illinois went on the road and held off a big challenge from Hampton for a 45-27 win. This year, Hampton makes a return trip to SIU.

The Pirates opened the season on Sunday in Orlando, FL. with a 17-13 victory over Jackson State in the MEAC-SWAC Challenge. It was a sloppy game and Hampton got off to a slow start, but the Pirates held on.

Receiver Jeremy Gilchrist set up one touchdown with a circus catch at the one and scored on a 12-yard pass from quarterback Herbert Bynes (14-of-23, 151 yards). That helped make up for the fact that the normally strong Pirate rushing attack was limited to 76 yards.

Hampton's defense struggled against the pass, giving up 248 yards, but came up with some huge plays with Jackson State driving at the end of the game.

But the Pirates figure to be challenged more on the ground by Southern Illinois, which will be opening its season with new coach Dale Lennon. One of the Salukis' biggest strengths should be a veteran offensive line led by guard Aaron Lockwood. Joe Allaria takes over at quarterback for graduated star Nick Hill and Richard White looks to become the latest in a line of great Southern Illinois tailbacks.

But while the Salukis should be strong again on offense, defense will be what fuels their hopes of another league title, or advancing further that last year's semifinal playoff run. Defensive end James Cloud and linebackers Chauncey Mixon and Bradin Jordan should lead a unit that been gradually getting more athletic in the past few years.

With the Salukis playing at home, expect them to start their season with a win.

Southern Illinois 38, Hampton 20
Should we tell him that Chris Dieker has been named the starting QB for SIU?
siusalukis.com (http://siusalukis.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082908aab.html)
Richard White is also listed second on the depth chart behind Larry Warner.
depth chart (http://siusalukis.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/silu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/depth-chart)

elon77
September 5th, 2008, 02:51 PM

I thought you lost that last week, or did you say cut out peanuts, I don't seem to remember.xconfusedx

ERASU2113
September 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM
If El Cid beats Clemson.....the entire ACC should drop to FCS.

GolfingGriz
September 5th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I don't understand how Coulson can consider himself a knowledgeable college football writer with this prediction. Richmond over UVa I can see, but this one is absurd.

citdog
September 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I don't understand how Coulson can consider himself a knowledgeable college football writer with this prediction. Richmond over UVa I can see, but this one is absurd.

IF YOU THINK THAT YOU OBVIOUSLY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FCS FOOTBALL

GolfingGriz
September 5th, 2008, 05:39 PM
IF YOU THINK THAT YOU OBVIOUSLY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FCS FOOTBALL

The Citidel is not App State.

GeauxColonels
September 5th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Uh....OUCH!? xanim_chaix

ERASU2113
September 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM

The only way I can see him going on a limb with it...is due to the fact prior to taking over at CSN (2 years ago I believe), he covered and followed ASU.

So he's familiar with the program, I would assume, it still doesn't make sense to pick that upset.

...but still Clemson getting killed by Bama - then facing The Cit - is bad news for the Bulldogs.