PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions-Week 2

JALMOND
September 4th, 2008, 12:38 AM
One week down and I am a perfect 7-0. I'm not going to say that last week was pretty much full of easy picks, I'll take them anyway (I might need them later in the season). This week everyone but my home team Portland State is in action (only means that the Vikings can't lose this week) with some pretty good games on line. That said, here are my picks. All are my opinion only...

EWU @ Colorado---Round two of the Eagles honorary membership in the Big 12. The first one last week really did not go so bad as EWU never really lost sight of Texas Tech. This week on paper should be a little easier as they venture into the Big 12 North, considered by some to be a little weaker than the South. A different outcome? Not likely...Colorado 38, EWU 24.

ISU @ Idaho---The Bengals continue their foray into playing their in-state "big brothers" so to speak this week as they head to Moscow to play the Vandals. Last week, Boise State showed little mercy on the Bengals. This week, hey its Idaho. Maybe closer than some people think...Idaho 28, ISU 24.

UM @ Cal Poly---The Griz season opener finds them going on the road to play the Great West's Cal Poly. The Mustangs are feeling quite proud after getting the only FCS win over FBS when they beat San Diego State. The Griz still have enough returning to hang with the Mustangs, but in the end...Cal Poly 35, UM 28.

MSU @ Kansas State---Another Big Sky vs the Big 12 as the Bobcats go to Manhattan (Kansas that is) to play K-State. The Cats looked awesome against DII Adams State, but Kansas State is awesome themselves. Still, the Wildcats are not the Kansas State of a few years ago. But it is still hard to predict a miracle here...Kansas State 38, MSU 17.

New Mexico Highlands @ NAU---The Jacks did not shy away from Arizona State, a team most FBS pollsters think very high on. This week the roles are reversed as the Jacks are now the team expected to demolish in their game. Think they'll disappoint...NAU 55, New Mexico Highlands 10.

UNC @ Purdue---The Bears start their season hoping to improve on last year and make headway in the conference. This week finds them at Big 10 Purdue. The Big 10 might be down this year and the last half (where Purdue actually is forecasted) may not really be all that strong. Still, it is UNC...Purdue 33, UNC 10.

Sac State @ Colorado State---The Hornets, coming off a great showing against DII Humboldt State take on FBS Colorado State who lost an emotional outing with Colorado last week. Sac State is trying to gain respectability. A great tussle but in the end, the Rams are just too much...Colorado State 28, Sac State 24.

WSU @ Hawaii---The Wildcats after scoring virtually at will over NAIA Montana-Western, meet a Hawaii team smarting from the pounding at Florida the week before. A scary sight, the Wildcat offense is scoring and the defense is still holding the other team down. Hawaii better not look past this game (or still have a Florida hangover) or the Wildcats will steal it. One for the conference...WSU 38, Hawaii 30.

I know, some eye openings this week but there you have it. I am putting my perfect record on the line this week by making some strange calls (I'll admit it). Have at it!

AZGrizFan
September 4th, 2008, 12:45 AM
One week down and I am a perfect 7-0. I'm not going to say that last week was pretty much full of easy picks, I'll take them anyway (I might need them later in the season). This week everyone but my home team Portland State is in action (only means that the Vikings can't lose this week) with some pretty good games on line. That said, here are my picks. All are my opinion only...

EWU @ Colorado---Round two of the Eagles honorary membership in the Big 12. The first one last week really did not go so bad as EWU never really lost sight of Texas Tech. This week on paper should be a little easier as they venture into the Big 12 North, considered by some to be a little weaker than the South. A different outcome? Not likely...Colorado 38, EWU 24.

ISU @ Idaho---The Bengals continue their foray into playing their in-state "big brothers" so to speak this week as they head to Moscow to play the Vandals. Last week, Boise State showed little mercy on the Bengals. This week, hey its Idaho. Maybe closer than some people think...Idaho 28, ISU 24.

UM @ Cal Poly---The Griz season opener finds them going on the road to play the Great West's Cal Poly. The Mustangs are feeling quite proud after getting the only FCS win over FBS when they beat San Diego State. The Griz still have enough returning to hang with the Mustangs, but in the end...Cal Poly 35, UM 28.

MSU @ Kansas State---Another Big Sky vs the Big 12 as the Bobcats go to Manhattan (Kansas that is) to play K-State. The Cats looked awesome against DII Adams State, but Kansas State is awesome themselves. Still, the Wildcats are not the Kansas State of a few years ago. But it is still hard to predict a miracle here...Kansas State 38, MSU 17.

New Mexico Highlands @ NAU---The Jacks did not shy away from Arizona State, a team most FBS pollsters think very high on. This week the roles are reversed as the Jacks are now the team expected to demolish in their game. Think they'll disappoint...NAU 55, New Mexico Highlands 10.

UNC @ Purdue---The Bears start their season hoping to improve on last year and make headway in the conference. This week finds them at Big 10 Purdue. The Big 10 might be down this year and the last half (where Purdue actually is forecasted) may not really be all that strong. Still, it is UNC...Purdue 33, UNC 10.

Sac State @ Colorado State---The Hornets, coming off a great showing against DII Humboldt State take on FBS Colorado State who lost an emotional outing with Colorado last week. Sac State is trying to gain respectability. A great tussle but in the end, the Rams are just too much...Colorado State 28, Sac State 24.

WSU @ Hawaii---The Wildcats after scoring virtually at will over NAIA Montana-Western, meet a Hawaii team smarting from the pounding at Florida the week before. A scary sight, the Wildcat offense is scoring and the defense is still holding the other team down. Hawaii better not look past this game (or still have a Florida hangover) or the Wildcats will steal it. One for the conference...WSU 38, Hawaii 30.

I know, some eye openings this week but there you have it. I am putting my perfect record on the line this week by making some strange calls (I'll admit it). Have at it!

JALMOND....your analyses are usually right on, but I think you're giving WAY too much credit to Sac State and UNC....Purdue and Colorado State could each hang 50 on their I-AA brethren...and picking WSU over Hawaii? Are you smokin' something? Hawaii got pounded by Florida, but they may pound WSU by the same score....might wanna get your fluid levels checked after THAT pick, my friend. xnodx xeekx

JALMOND
September 4th, 2008, 01:03 AM
JALMOND....your analyses are usually right on, but I think you're giving WAY too much credit to Sac State and UNC....Purdue and Colorado State could each hang 50 on their I-AA brethren...and picking WSU over Hawaii? Are you smokin' something? Hawaii got pounded by Florida, but they may pound WSU by the same score....might wanna get your fluid levels checked after THAT pick, my friend. xnodx xeekx

Colorado made it look very easy to run against Colorado State and, a long shot I know, but I think that plays well to Sac State's strength. A stretch to make Purdue 23 point favorites over the Bears? A big drop between the Big 10's top half and bottom half (with Michigan right in the middle). Purdue will be lucky to score 23 points this year. As far as WSU/Hawaii, Florida showed this is not June Jones' Hawaii team. Having to fly back home through six time zones after getting blown out of what was supposed to be your statement game does not bode well, especially when you've got a land mine waiting the following week. Weber is capable of getting the upset. The question is, will they. A chic pick I know, but I made it.

No comment about Idaho/ISU?

UNCBears2010
September 4th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Nice picks as usual JALMOND, but I don't think you're giving either offense enough credit in the UNC-Purdue game. UNC's defense could give up a lot of points to Curtis Painter and the Boilermakers, especially if John Eddy and/or Quincy Wofford don't play. I also think our offense will double our PPG from last year. Though I think you've got the margin about right I think it will be much more along the lines of Purdue 52, UNC 24

I Bleed Purple
September 4th, 2008, 01:56 AM
xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

And.

xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

But hopefully not

xnutsx xnutsx xnutsx xnutsx xnutsx xnutsx xnutsx

EdubAlum
September 4th, 2008, 03:35 PM
i think there is a good chance ISU will beat the Vandals in Moscow.

putter
September 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
i think there is a good chance ISU will beat the Vandals in Moscow.

IMO the only thing the Vandellas will have to cheer about is that one of their alumni got nominated for vice president. xnodx

AZGrizFan
September 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Colorado made it look very easy to run against Colorado State and, a long shot I know, but I think that plays well to Sac State's strength. A stretch to make Purdue 23 point favorites over the Bears? A big drop between the Big 10's top half and bottom half (with Michigan right in the middle). Purdue will be lucky to score 23 points this year. As far as WSU/Hawaii, Florida showed this is not June Jones' Hawaii team. Having to fly back home through six time zones after getting blown out of what was supposed to be your statement game does not bode well, especially when you've got a land mine waiting the following week. Weber is capable of getting the upset. The question is, will they. A chic pick I know, but I made it.

No comment about Idaho/ISU?

I think ISU beats Palin's (and my) alma mater.... xcoolx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

already123
September 5th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I think Idaho will come out with a lot of intensity after getting embarassed in Tucson....

also, I think it will be VERY interesting to see this NEW griz team. They will need all the fan support they can get playing this tough Cal Poly team

wapiti
September 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I will have to agree with AZGrizFan, that you are giving to much credit to Sac St and UNC against the FBS foes. I think both games will be a big blow-out in favor of the FBS team.
Hawaii will beat Weber, but not pull away untill mid way thru the 3rd quarter.
The one upset in the making is ISU over UI and Cal Poly over UM I would not consider an upset.

SactoHornetFan
September 7th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I just want to say that Jalmond knew what we Hornet fans know already, we have a pretty good team...last year with a very inexperienced offense, we lost 5 games in the 4th quarter. We almost got one of the two upsets of the day yesterday.

Maybe this quiet some of the rose-colored glasses fans around here.....

GrizDen
September 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I just want to say that Jalmond knew what we Hornet fans know already, we have a pretty good team...last year with a very inexperienced offense, we lost 5 games in the 4th quarter. We almost got one of the two upsets of the day yesterday.

Indeed, this was one of the more surprising scores of the day. The game versus Sac State on 10.18 just got a lot more interesting.

JALMOND
September 7th, 2008, 04:53 PM

6-2 for the week makes me 13-2 for the season so far. Credit to the Griz, I looked at the Cal Poly matchup for days and did not see how they could beat the Mustangs (guilty of the Mustang hype surrounding this board the last week). I also thought Weber State would be able to generate more scores than they did. 13-2 so far is pretty good, although I would not have minded having a few more "losses" this week (EWU and Sac State).

JALMOND
September 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM

I saw in the CU/CSU game that the Buffs did a good job running over the Rams. I listened to all of you Hornet fans saying you had a really good running game. I thought if you did and you could hold them down, it could be a "surprising" close game. I just did not know how close. You deserved the W in that game.

Ronbo
September 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM
6-2 for the week makes me 13-2 for the season so far. Credit to the Griz, I looked at the Cal Poly matchup for days and did not see how they could beat the Mustangs (guilty of the Mustang hype surrounding this board the last week). I also thought Weber State would be able to generate more scores than they did. 13-2 so far is pretty good, although I would not have minded having a few more "losses" this week (EWU and Sac State).

I've tried to tell people in the past that the Griz are deep and we platoon especially on Defense. When we have a starter graduate a guy steps in that played 40% of the plays the season before. He's not a returning starter but a seasoned veteran. Hauck starts the guys out early getting them on-field experience. If you are not 1st or 2nd team then you participate in special teams. In the Cal Poly game I watched 5 DE's that played considerable minutes, and 4 DT's, 6 LB's played, 4 Safeties, and 4 CB's. This kind of platooning in a big game pays big dividends down the road.

CrunchGriz
September 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I've tried to tell people in the past that the Griz are deep and we platoon especially on Defense. When we have a starter graduate a guy steps in that played 40% of the plays the season before. He's not a returning starter but a seasoned veteran. Hauck starts the guys out early getting them on-field experience. If you are not 1st or 2nd team then you participate in special teams. In the Cal Poly game I watched 5 DE's that played considerable minutes, and 4 DT's, 6 LB's played, 4 Safeties, and 4 CB's. This kind of platooning in a big game pays big dividends down the road.

And it's also why Montana rarely has defenders at the top in the conference in tackles--too many 2nd teamers get a lot of meaningful time, as BH likes to get them prepped for upcoming games and seasons, thus taking away some of the stats of the stars.

Once in a while we'll have a defender that is so good we have to keep him on the field virtually all game, like Colt this year and Kroy last year, but by far it's the exception, not the rule.

Wolfman
September 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Agree. UM is more like a IA team than a IAA team with regards to depth. It is not only Hauck's decision to play lots of kids each week. It is the fact that Montana is able to recruit a higher quantity of IAA calibre players than most IAA programs. I will not rehash the many reasons why this is true, as everyone should know by now. Our second string players are much better overall than our competition. So, when we get an injury, it does not hurst as much.

already123
September 8th, 2008, 03:18 PM
NAU...school record on offense...defense virtually has a shut out...go Jacks!

UNCBears2010
September 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM
NAU...school record on offense...defense virtually has a shut out...go Jacks!

Did you expect anything different?xconfusedx

New Mexico Highlands sucks, even for a D2 team, half of UNC's single-game offensive records are from our opener against them in '03.

Still, a win's a win. I don't blame you for enjoying it.

already123
September 8th, 2008, 05:47 PM
you expect a blowout, yes. But setting a school record is amazing. 3 diff QBs threw touchdowns...3 diff RBS ran for 99 yds and better...

defense gave up only 125 yds.

The game def had the WOW factor...but you are right, it was expected