PDA

View Full Version : LFN: A Peek at Drake

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Preiewing Drake - here's the first look. Also, a return of the "Drink of the Week!"

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2008/09/peek-at-drake.html

ngineer
September 3rd, 2008, 11:42 PM
Preiewing Drake - here's the first look. Also, a return of the "Drink of the Week!"

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2008/09/peek-at-drake.html

Hey, if it walks like a duck...;) :D

DetroitFlyer
September 4th, 2008, 10:59 AM
In the PFL, players are not permitted to be on any type of athletic scholarship. A football player may not be on a track scholarship, basketball scholarship, baseball scholarship, etc. If a player is a multi-sport athlete, he is participating in each sport as a non-athletic scholarship participant.

PFL STUDENT/athletes are awarded merit, (academic), aid and need based aid, completely independent of athletics. If a PFL player quits the team, they do not lose their aid, (unlike in the PL or traditional athletic scholarship programs). The aid policy in the PFL is virtually the same as the Ivy League. Of course the Ivy League has more money than God, so they might choose to award more aid to students that happen to play football than the schools of the PFL do currently.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 4th, 2008, 11:19 AM
In the PFL, players are not permitted to be on any type of athletic scholarship. A football player may not be on a track scholarship, basketball scholarship, baseball scholarship, etc. If a player is a multi-sport athlete, he is participating in each sport as a non-athletic scholarship participant.

Thanks for the clarification. Also worthy of mention is that these athletes are also eligible for the same need-based aid in the way that Patriot League schools offer it. So if a student is eligible for aid due to need, he could still "walk-on" to both teams but still have his way paid for by a scholarship.

nmatsen
September 4th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Lehigh should win this game by upwards of three touchdowns. Drake is not deserving of their D-I name, even if it is followed by "non-scholly" or "mid-major."

401ks
September 4th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Drake is not deserving of their D-I name

Same ol' "We-may-not-be-FBS-but-at-least-we're-better-than-THEM" garbage that has NO PLACE on the "AnyGivenSaturday" board. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

DetroitFlyer
September 4th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Lehigh should win this game by upwards of three touchdowns. Drake is not deserving of their D-I name, even if it is followed by "non-scholly" or "mid-major."

This site actually has a smack board. Please feel free to use it and please keep this type of garbage off the FCS discussion board.

ngineer
September 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM

Tell that to Illinois State...;)

ngineer
September 4th, 2008, 07:38 PM
How many hurricanes have the Iowans from Drake ever experienced??? From the looks of it, the Bulldogs may get a real unique experience since I doubt too many hurricanes reach Iowa....xrotatehx

Lehigh Football Nation
September 4th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Finished the Lehigh/Drake Preview:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2008/09/preview-of-drake-vs-lehigh.html

What do people like better? The preview as one big post? Or broken down in multiple posts?

Fordham
September 5th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Big risk, little reward game for the Mountain Hawks, no? A convincing win is an expected, 'ho-hum' event but a squeaker or <gasp> loss puts the Engineer faithful immediately onto the therapist couch.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 5th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Big risk, little reward game for the Mountain Hawks, no? A convincing win is an expected, 'ho-hum' event but a squeaker or <gasp> loss puts the Engineer faithful immediately onto the therapist couch.

I think a ho-hum game wouldn't have the Lehigh Valley have a run on alka-seltzer, but a squeaker or loss would. I think there's a little more than usual on this game since Coen needs an early win to build confidence.

DetroitFlyer
September 5th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Seems like a brash outlook for a fan whose team lost to a PFL foe last season.... Kind of sounds just like the ISU fans that had a similar attitude concerning Drake last season. Here is a clue for you.... Losing to a PFL team is not a "bad" loss. The PFL is a rapidly improving FCS conference and you can bet your last dollar that the PFL will continue to win games against traditional FCS conferences. If anything, Lehigh is lucky that Drake has endured three head coaches in three years.... If Rob Ash had stayed, I think Drake would be favored in this game. Truth be told, Drake is still learning the new coaches way of doing things and trying to gell as a team. Lehigh is lucky to have caught Drake in this cycle. Even so, if you expect a Lehigh blowout, I suspect that you will be disappointed. I think this will be a competitive game with Lehigh favored SLIGHTLY. A win by Drake in my book would at best be a mild upset.

I never have understood the mindset that you have to put another conference or program down in order to make your own team or conference seem better in your mind. This type of attitude is especially disturbing from the PL. If anything, the PL should be a supporter of the PFL just like many PL fans support the Ivy League.

LehighFan11
September 5th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing how Lehigh plays in this rain storm. Coen came to Lehigh saying he wanted to establish an I-formation running game. He now should have his players to do it. Lehigh's OLine might struggle against some of the bigger DLines in the PL but should dominate Drake's Dline. Look for McGowan to have 150+ yards on the ground. Hopefully Clark can limit the turnovers and focus on handing the ball off. Lehigh 31-7.

ngineer
September 5th, 2008, 10:53 PM
One point in Drake's favor is that it got to play a week earlier and get some of the opening game mistakes eliminated. It's an intangible item, but does have some worth. I have seen Lehigh teams over recent years struggle in their openers under both Coen, Lembo, even in some of the wins.
Still, I think we should control the game and end up winning by 14-17 pts.

Herdman
September 6th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Lehigh should win this game by upwards of three touchdowns. Drake is not deserving of their D-I name, even if it is followed by "non-scholly" or "mid-major."This coming from a guy who's program lost to a D2 team two years ago...AnyGivennSaturday bro. xbangx

Herdman
September 6th, 2008, 05:11 AM
In time Drake will be a good football team, but right now they are not. I was at the Drake/Upper Iowa game last Thursday night. Upper Iowa won ever stat except for turn-overs which gave Drake their points. Drake's punt retun team is terrible. Upper Iowa had a 89 yard punt return for six. and a 76 yarder that was called back that people are still looking for the actual hit that drew the flag. Take tout the 76 yarder and Upper Iowa still had ove 200 yards in total return yards.

The Peacocks ran and passed for over 130, 150 yards respectively. Time of possession was another big catagory that Drake gave up. Upper Iowa's game plan was to keep the ball away from drake which they did a great job of, but their caoches needed to tell the players the next part of the secret game plan was to score points.

On offense, Upper Iowa's defense shut Drake down except for a little dink and dunk pass in the flat that work well enough to keep the ball moving at times.

lastly, Drake did not hit very hard in comparison to a Upper Iowa that laid some wood on occassion. Drake really did not do anything to deserve that win, but they got it and it's they're to keep.

Like I said in a previous thread about this game...Leigh by 24 to 28, could be more, but better not let drake stay with in 21 or I'll begin to question Lehigh.

JoltinJoe
September 6th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Seems like a brash outlook for a fan whose team lost to a PFL foe last season.... Kind of sounds just like the ISU fans that had a similar attitude concerning Drake last season. Here is a clue for you.... Losing to a PFL team is not a "bad" loss. The PFL is a rapidly improving FCS conference and you can bet your last dollar that the PFL will continue to win games against traditional FCS conferences. If anything, Lehigh is lucky that Drake has endured three head coaches in three years.... If Rob Ash had stayed, I think Drake would be favored in this game. Truth be told, Drake is still learning the new coaches way of doing things and trying to gell as a team. Lehigh is lucky to have caught Drake in this cycle. Even so, if you expect a Lehigh blowout, I suspect that you will be disappointed. I think this will be a competitive game with Lehigh favored SLIGHTLY. A win by Drake in my book would at best be a mild upset.

I never have understood the mindset that you have to put another conference or program down in order to make your own team or conference seem better in your mind. This type of attitude is especially disturbing from the PL. If anything, the PL should be a supporter of the PFL just like many PL fans support the Ivy League.

Actually, our PFL experience makes us a perfect candiate to talk about "big risk, little reward." If we had beaten Dayton last year, it would a ho-hum win against a team we should beat. But we lost the game, and that came with the risk that we would never hear the end of it.xwhistlex

Franks Tanks
September 6th, 2008, 03:27 PM

Flyer WTF are you smoking. Vince Lombardi himself couldnt lead that Drake team to a victory over Lehigh. They were physically overmatched in every aspect of the game What would Drake be favored in? A basketball game? A contest regarding who has more slow, small guys? Look Dayton had a very good team last year, but the PFL as a whole is still not very good.