PDA

View Full Version : This SUCKS for URI

Cobblestone
September 3rd, 2008, 10:24 AM
There goes our running game. xnonono2x :(

http://www.projo.com/uri/content/sp_fbc_joe_casey03_09-03-08_LIBEF9T_v10.11e2d89.html

89Hen
September 3rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
xoopsx :(

Selfish to think about this now, but is there any chance he'll apply for a medical redshirt and stay next year?

Cobblestone
September 3rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
xoopsx :(

Selfish to think about this now, but is there any chance he'll apply for a medical redshirt and stay next year?

I don't know the guy personally but he's a tough kid who can take a beating and give one with his running style. I imagine he might. For the first time he's playing for a college coach who has some fire in his belly and the program is headed in the right direction. I hope he wants to be part of it, even if for just one season.

89Hen
September 3rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
For the first time he's playing for a college coach who has some fire in his belly and the program is headed in the right direction. I hope he wants to be part of it, even if for just one season.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. Another year under Rizzi and this team may be better next year than this, so having a great back like Casey next year could be great for URI. xthumbsupx

andy7171
September 3rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Season ending injury 9 minutes into his senior year? You have to think the NCAA created the medical redshirt for this situation.

89Hen
September 3rd, 2008, 12:51 PM
Season ending injury 9 minutes into his senior year? You have to think the NCAA created the medical redshirt for this situation.
But isn't there a rule if you used a redshirt as a freshman, you can't get a medical one?

Fordham
September 3rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Terrible news. Sorry URI fans. He likely would be especially valuable in the expected slop this weekend.

Cobblestone - I've never seen him live. Is Casey as good a fit in the spread as he was in the triple option? That may play into his thinking regarding coming back.

MSU_77
September 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
But isn't there a rule if you used a redshirt as a freshman, you can't get a medical one?

I don't think it matters as long as the injury occurs no later than the third week of the season.

89Hen
September 3rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
I don't think it matters as long as the injury occurs no later than the third week of the season.
I found something when googling medical hardship waiver that must be what I was thinking of....

Q: Explain why getting a medical redshirt doesn't guarantee him a sixth year?

TP: Once a student-athlete enrolls as a full-time student, what we call the "five-year clock" starts to tick. They have five years from that point in which to complete their four years of eligibility. Since Lee redshirted as a freshman, the 2002 football season will be his fifth year. His "clock" will expire prior to the 2003 football season. Therefore, once we get this season of competitive eligibility back through the medical hardship waiver, he will need a sixth year in which to use that because his "clock" will expire in August of 2003. So that's where we go to the NCAA, if that's what Lee and his family want, and ask for the "clock extension" and try to get that sixth year to use his regained eligibility in.

http://www.hokiesports.com/suggs/progress/10112001aaa.html

Cobblestone
September 3rd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Terrible news. Sorry URI fans. He likely would be especially valuable in the expected slop this weekend.

Cobblestone - I've never seen him live. Is Casey as good a fit in the spread as he was in the triple option? That may play into his thinking regarding coming back.

Well, he only got to play a few downs in this new offense before he went down. The plan was to use him for short passes and running plays to the outside instead of just busting him up the middle over and over again. Joe has (had) better speed than people thought and could get to the outside quick enough. For what little time he played this season, he looked pretty effective in his new role.

Given all of this, I think he will try to come back next season. Rizzi is a good coach and is running a disciplined program. Hopefully Casey wants to be part of this. Like I said, it'd be a nice way to go out as a Senior.

Brad82
September 3rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
While the injury is a bummer, his coming back to play next year,might be for the better. This will give Ferrer who is a bull some real good experience and bring Casey back to boot. Rhody needs to think long term.
Will have to play better to beat Fordham on the road than they did vs. Monmouth.

Bos8
September 3rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
I have heard Ryan Lawrence has looked good in camp. He had some good press clippings coming into the season.
From what I have heard, Casey came close to transferring at the end of his sophomore year, but he decided to stay. Hopefully he decides to return next season.

Seawolf97
September 3rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
Really sorry to hear to this. If what everyone is saying is true hopefully he will return in 2009.

Dawg2Rhody
September 3rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
Seeing Joe on the turf was just heart breaking. He is a tough young man and from what I hear planning to use his redshirt next year. The word from camp was that Lawrence is the truth and played better than Ferrer in camp. Lawrence looked fine in relief Sat. The RB I am wondering about is the kid (Okunfolami) who was so good at the spring game.

I think in the spread Rhody should be ok. But you are right Brad it would be nice to have #37 in the rain on Sat to trudge it out.

GO RHODY!!

Cobblestone
September 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
Cobble do you know why Anthony Ferra is not running the ball? he ran well a few times last year and was a great running back in HS.xconfusedx

I don't know. I agree he's a good RB. I hope he sees the ball vs. Fordham. This (from PROJO.COM) may answer your question.

“Anthony is a role player who does a lot of things well,” Rizzi said. “He pass-blocks well, and he catches the ball out of the backfield. He had a great day Saturday on special teams (three tackles).”

Ferrer is 15 pounds lighter than a year ago because Rizzi and offensive coordinator Chris Pincince do not employ a fullback in most of their schemes, thus negating the need for backfield brawn.

sikolec
September 4th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Perfect example of a player who was already redshirted and then injured himself senior season and the NCAA allowed him to have a sixth year is RB Yonus Davis of San Jose St.

Here is the article link: http://www.mercurynews.com/collegesports/ci_10346479

It states:
"Davis had to petition the NCAA for a medical hardship after missing most of last season because of an ankle injury, and he had to make up significant ground in the classroom. SJSU Coach Dick Tomey wasn't sure Davis would be cleared to rejoin the team until a week before fall camp opened."

So Davis was allowed a sixth year to play college football thanks to the medical redshirt rule.

His profile on SJSU's website:
http://www.sjsuspartans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=29302&SPID=2290&DB_OEM_ID=5600&ATCLID=202646&Q_SEASON=2008

Bos8
September 4th, 2008, 06:01 AM
A couple years ago, URI star basketball player Dawan Robinson was denied a 6th year as a medical red shirt. He came in as a Prop 48, and had to sit out his freshman season. He got injured before his 3rd year of playing, and sat out the entire season. He graduated, and enrolled in grad courses at URI. He then played the following season, which was his third year playing. He applied for a 6th year at the conclusion of the season, which was denied.

PapaBear
September 4th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Hate to see this happen to a kid. They work so hard ... put in so many hours.

Here's hoping the highly principled and deeply compassionate NCAA (xeyebrowx ) does the right thing and grants him another year.

Good luck, URI. See you later in the season. And do us a favor ... see if you can postpone the next hurricane until AFTER our game. That debacle two years agoi in Kingston ranks among the absolute worst rain and wind I have ever seen ... let alone stood in for three and a half hours.

Cobblestone
September 4th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Hate to see this happen to a kid. They work so hard ... put in so many hours.

Here's hoping the highly principled and deeply compassionate NCAA (xeyebrowx ) does the right thing and grants him another year.

Good luck, URI. See you later in the season. And do us a favor ... see if you can postpone the next hurricane until AFTER our game. That debacle two years agoi in Kingston ranks among the absolute worst rain and wind I have ever seen ... let alone stood in for three and a half hours.

xnodx

I remember.

xnodx

Cobblestone
September 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Man, this kid is a warrior. Back in my military days, these are the type of guys you wanted to go to combat with. Obviously he's the kind of guy you want for a teammate.

GO JOE!

{you tough bastard!}

Hours after suffering a compund fracture of his left leg and having surgery to insert a metal rod and screws, University of Rhode Island running back Joe Casey was lying in his bed at South County Hospital and laughing with his coach.

"You're stuck with me for another year," Darren Rizzi told his All-America ball carrier Saturday night, getting a laugh.

Casey was injured in the first quarter of URI's season opener when a Monmouth University defensive back went low to make a tackle at the Monmouth 13 yard-line and his helmet hit Casey's leg. Casey was taken from the field and transported to the hopsital, where Dr. Joseph Fitzgerald, the team's orthopedist, operated. The break was clean, there was no ligament damage, he should make a full recovery, and he should be able to play again next season, Fitzgeraqld told Rizzi.

That's Casey's intention.

"He said, 'Coach, I'm coming back. I love this program,' " Rizzi said today.

A senior, Casey will obtain a medical waiver enabling him to come back in 2009. The three-time first-team all-conference back needs 475 yards to break Pat Abbruzzi's career record of 3,389 set from 1951 to 1954.

"He wants to leave his mark on this program," Rizzi said.

http://www.projo.com/uri/content/projo_20080903_casey.3e1cd28f.html

Hoyadestroya85
September 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM
i know that switching from the option was bad juju

Bos8
September 4th, 2008, 09:04 PM
As bad as the Maine game was a few years back, I think the Umass OT game last season was worse. 6 points scored on 3 safeties. But then again, the Umass game doesn't touch the Richmond game from 6-7 years ago.

Cobblestone
September 4th, 2008, 10:02 PM
As bad as the Maine game was a few years back, I think the Umass OT game last season was worse. 6 points scored on 3 safeties. But then again, the Umass game doesn't touch the Richmond game from 6-7 years ago.

Let's just be glad that Stowers and his bad play calling are gone and look to the futue. I think with Rizzi we're headed in the right direction.