PDA

View Full Version : Surprising performances

Thundering_Herd
September 2nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
What the hell was with Western Illinois this weekend? Sounds like they led most of the game and Arkansas had to score two TDs in the 4th to win 24-20. Was Arkansas playing *****ty or was WIU just playing that well? I wasn't expecting too much outta them this year, but now I just don't know....

Good job to Cal Poly for their win. Slostang, how'd they look? Any weaknesses? They will thoroughly beat Montana IMO.

Did any other team's performance surprise the hell outta you guys? I'm not talking about surprisingly bad performances either!!! Please elaborate.

slostang
September 2nd, 2008, 11:22 PM
What the hell was with Western Illinois this weekend? Sounds like they led most of the game and Arkansas had to score two TDs in the 4th to win 24-20. Was Arkansas playing *****ty or was WIU just playing that well? I wasn't expecting too much outta them this year, but now I just don't know....

Good job to Cal Poly for their win. Slostang, how'd they look? Any weaknesses? They will thoroughly beat Montana IMO.

Did any other team's performance surprise the hell outta you guys? I'm not talking about surprisingly bad performances either!!! Please elaborate.

SDSU threw quick short passes well against the defense. The good news was that that is about all they did well. Poly held them to 27 yards rushing on 23 attempts and put pressure on the QB when they tried to run deeper routes.

Montana has had all camp to prepare for Cal Poly and they don't rebuild, they roload. I am sure Cal Poly is going to have to bring their A game this week if they are going to beat the Griz.

RabidRabbit
September 3rd, 2008, 08:46 AM

Western returned 9 starters on offense, and 9 on defense. Included are all-american candidates at running back, and one other position on offense. Western is going to be a formible opponent this year. At least the two XDSU get WIU at home this year.

89Hen
September 3rd, 2008, 09:13 AM
WIU, Cal Poly, UC Davis, Delaware, McNeese.... of those, WIU was probably the most surprising, but CP most deserving of mention since they were the only ones to actually win. xthumbsupx xbowx

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/a949530b-e1c2-469e-a0da-fb744b2b5e5c.jpg

Thundering_Herd
September 3rd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Eastern Washington and Northern Iowa did pretty good too, also losses...

Ronbo
September 3rd, 2008, 10:03 AM

Blah, blah, blah. We're not expecting to win this game. It's a no lose situation for the Griz. We take an early loss while our 16 true freshmen learn the ropes and we'll be there by mid season. We possibly could be 3-3 after the Eastern Washington game and 9-3 by season's end. You don't rebuild over night. It takes time for the new guys to gel.

appfan2008
September 3rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
WIU, Cal Poly, UC Davis, Delaware, McNeese.... of those, WIU was probably the most surprising, but CP most deserving of mention since they were the only ones to actually win. xthumbsupx xbowx

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/a949530b-e1c2-469e-a0da-fb744b2b5e5c.jpg

Ill second that motion... you can play with fbs teams all the time but only wins count in the standings...

Grizaholic17
September 3rd, 2008, 10:07 AM
Eastern Washington did great. It will be great to see how all of the Big Sky teams stack up against them this year. They are the team to beat this year. And Cal Poly had a stellar game on defense. I hope the Montana offense can do more to that defense than SDSU. Good luck to all teams this coming weekend.

89Hen
September 3rd, 2008, 10:23 AM
Eastern Washington

Eastern Washington did great.
Somebody will have to help me with this one... I know TT has always been a pass happy team that racks up the yards, but 639 yards of offense... 18 penalties for 169 yards for TT... 23 rushing yards for EWU... xeyebrowx

Ronbo
September 3rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Somebody will have to help me with this one... I know TT has always been a pass happy team that racks up the yards, but 639 yards of offense... 18 penalties for 169 yards for TT... 23 rushing yards for EWU... xeyebrowx

I noticed EWU didn't try to run the ball. Nichols passed the ball 60 somethin' times.

89Hen
September 3rd, 2008, 11:03 AM
I noticed EWU didn't try to run the ball. Nichols passed the ball 60 somethin' times.
TT was 82nd in run defense last year. Not sure why they wouldn't run the ball unless EWU simply isn't built for running. xpeacex