PDA

View Full Version : Fordham to Honor Wellington Mara

JoltinJoe
October 27th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Wellington Mara, the New York Giants owner who died earlier this week, will be honored with a moment of silence at the Fordham homecoming game this Saturday with Holy Cross.

Mara was a 1937 graduate of Fordham College, a generous and active supporter of Fordham's football program, and a benefactor of the university as a whole.

Mara, who a classmate of Vince Lombardi, is one of three Fordham graduates enshrined in the NFL Hall of Fame (along with Lombardi and Alex Wojciechowicz). When presented the Vince Lombardi Trophy after the Giants won its first Super Bowl in January 1987, Mara commented how happy he was to receive the trophy named after his friend and classmate.

We at Fordham are very proud to call this honorable gentleman one of our own.

http://www.fordhamsports.com/asp_new/full_news.asp?TeamID=122&NewsID=821

LBPop
October 27th, 2005, 11:46 AM
We at Fordham are very proud to call this honorable gentleman one of our own.

Just another example of how much pride Fordham fans can take in their storied football program--this year's record notwithstanding. I'm confident they will be a PL contender again soon--just please take it easy on your DC friends when you do. ;)

Ivytalk
October 27th, 2005, 12:31 PM
A true prince of the game of football. There aren't too many owners left like him. R.I.P. Is Art Rooney dead too?

JoltinJoe
October 27th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Just another example of how much pride Fordham fans can take in their storied football program--this year's record notwithstanding. I'm confident they will be a PL contender again soon--just please take it easy on your DC friends when you do. ;)

Ever since Fordham became a force to be reckoned with in the PL, I said I was looking forward to Holy Cross and Georgetown getting their programs on track so that our natural rivalries could really take off.

With HC and G-Town doing so well this year, I'm sorry that we have not been able to keep up our end of the bargain.

JoltinJoe
October 27th, 2005, 12:44 PM
A true prince of the game of football. There aren't too many owners left like him. R.I.P. Is Art Rooney dead too?

Yes, Art Rooney died in 1988.
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=183

LBPop
October 27th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Ever since Fordham became a force to be reckoned with in the PL, I said I was looking forward to Holy Cross and Georgetown getting their programs on track so that our natural rivalries could really take off.

FYI, there has been some discussion on the Georgetown board about naming the annual game between the Hoyas and the Rams. The idea would be to have a trophy that goes home each year with the winner. The suggestion that got the most support would invoke the name of Vince Lombardi. He had strong ties to both schools (the Fordham history is widely known) but there is the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center established at Georgetown University Hospital. Also, it's not as well known that during "St. Vincent's" one season as coach of the Redskins, they practiced on Kehoe field at Georgetown.

JoltinJoe
October 27th, 2005, 01:14 PM
FYI, there has been some discussion on the Georgetown board about naming the annual game between the Hoyas and the Rams. The idea would be to have a trophy that goes home each year with the winner. The suggestion that got the most support would invoke the name of Vince Lombardi. He had strong ties to both schools (the Fordham history is widely known) but there is the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center established at Georgetown University Hospital. Also, it's not as well known that during "St. Vincent's" one season as coach of the Redskins, they practiced on Kehoe field at Georgetown.

Sounds like a great idea. We already have a "cup" for the Holy Cross game, which is named after College Hall of Fame coach Frank Cavanaugh (the "Iron Major"), who coached at both schools.

I've also thought it would be a nice idea if Fordham, Holy Cross and Georgetown played each other for the "Loyola Trophy," much the way the Army, Navy, and Air Force play each season for the "Commander-in-Chief Trophy."