PDA

View Full Version : Richmond at Virginia 9/6

Eight Legger
September 2nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Not that any of us Spider fans were looking past Elon, but I think many of us have been anticipating this week's game for some time. It seems if we are ever to beat Virginia in the 'modern' era, this would be the year:

• We have possibly our best team ever, with most of our guys returning and everyone healthy....UVA lost a bunch of guys in the offseason to academics, transfers and other reasons and just lost a starting linebacker for the season.

• We have Eric Ward at QB, the best QB in Virginia at any level, and UVA has its band of merry mediocre men led by Peter Lalich.

• We are coming off a solid win with room for improvement, and UVA is coming off a demolition at home by a much better team.

• Our coach was UVA's defensive coordinator until we hired him. UVA's coach is a maroon who can't even recruit players from his own state.

• Western Illinois, which is ranked below us, almost beat Arkansas, which is ranked ahead of UVA.

• McNeese State, which is ranked below us, almost beat UNC, which is ranked ahead of UVA.

• The ACC is a disgraceful conference, while the CAA rules.

• UVA students wear shirts and ties to games. Our students only sometimes wear shirts and ties to games.

It should be an interesting game, and we are hoping for 5,000 Spider fans in Charlottesville Saturday.

putter
September 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
After the bloodbath that was the USC game I think you have a great chance to beat UVA. Good luck to you!!

Rob Iola
September 2nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
As a fellow CAA fan, I'm rooting for daSpiders. But UVA is going to be out for blood after being humiliated last weekend...

bluehenbillk
September 2nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
I called for a UR win at the beginning of the summer, still going with it.

Black Saturday
September 2nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Not that any of us Spider fans were looking past Elon, but I think many of us have been anticipating this week's game for some time. It seems if we are ever to beat Virginia in the 'modern' era, this would be the year:

• We have possibly our best team ever, with most of our guys returning and everyone healthy....UVA lost a bunch of guys in the offseason to academics, transfers and other reasons and just lost a starting linebacker for the season.

• We have Eric Ward at QB, the best QB in Virginia at any level, and UVA has its band of merry mediocre men led by Peter Lalich.

• We are coming off a solid win with room for improvement, and UVA is coming off a demolition at home by a much better team.

• Our coach was UVA's defensive coordinator until we hired him. UVA's coach is a maroon who can't even recruit players from his own state.

• Western Illinois, which is ranked below us, almost beat Arkansas, which is ranked ahead of UVA.

• McNeese State, which is ranked below us, almost beat UNC, which is ranked ahead of UVA.

• UVA students wear shirts and ties to games. Our students only sometimes wear shirts and ties to games.

It should be an interesting game, and we are hoping for 5,000 Spider fans in Charlottesville Saturday.

Just trying to figure what the CAA rules?xconfusedx

How long has it been since a CAA team won the FCS?

Mountaineer
September 2nd, 2008, 12:26 PM

Take it to the smack board man. :( This is their game thread and there's no need to hijack.

Delaware won the championship in 2003 followed by JMU in 2004.

They seem to do alright. xthumbsupx

ur2k
September 2nd, 2008, 12:33 PM

Well so far this year in head-to-head match ups - CAA 1 - SoCon 0 xsmiley_wix

But back on topic. I am confident we play well and with a few bounces in the right direction, I feel we can win. This game also may be played in a bog with rain called for on Saturday which I guess would favor Richmond. Since it would slow the game down which is always good for a i-aa playing a i-a.

ATrain
September 2nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
Definitely behind the Spiders in this game

mainejeff
September 2nd, 2008, 01:07 PM
I see a 20-17 Richmond win. xthumbsupx

paward
September 2nd, 2008, 01:27 PM

Best team ever! Those are some strong words eight!

appfan2008
September 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Take it to the smack board man. :( This is their game thread and there's no need to hijack.

Delaware won the championship in 2003 followed by JMU in 2004.

They seem to do alright. xthumbsupx

and they lost the last 2 titles to us... i agree they are pretty good...

appfan2008
September 2nd, 2008, 01:33 PM
oh and to answer the question raised i would love to see the upset but uva wont let it happen after last week i dont think...

Phoenix87
September 2nd, 2008, 01:58 PM
I wish UR good luck with their game against UVA this week. I think they have a great shot at beating the Cavs this week and will have a legitimate shot at winning this game. The Richmond team that took the field is the best team the Phoenix have faced the past two years; and yes App State fans, even better than last years App State team. I love the Socon and pull for everyone in the conference when they aren't playing us, but that UR team last week was dominant. One of the best Offensive and Defensive lines I have seen at this level and a very very very smart and athletic QB.

SoCon48
September 2nd, 2008, 02:40 PM
I wish UR good luck with their game against UVA this week. I think they have a great shot at beating the Cavs this week and will have a legitimate shot at winning this game. The Richmond team that took the field is the best team the Phoenix have faced the past two years; and yes App State fans, even better than last years App State team. I love the Socon and pull for everyone in the conference when they aren't playing us, but that UR team last week was dominant. One of the best Offensive and Defensive lines I have seen at this level and a very very very smart and athletic QB.

I'd say you're right since Elon faced App's 2nd string QB, Armanti-less version. Richmond played the real team in the 55-35 December game.

Would love to see Richmond earn the FCS some more respect by upending Virginia Saturday. It's certainly not a real long-shot.

Ivytalk
September 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Go Spiders! Shock the world!xbowx xthumbsupx

And don't "pull a JMU!":p

Tribe4SF
September 2nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
I'd love to see the Spiders win this, but as we all know, depth is a critical factor in these matchups. UR played only 38 position players against Elon. That's a low number even for an FCS game, and I fear that depth may be their only weakness right now.

ViennaSpider
September 2nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
oh and to answer the question raised i would love to see the upset but uva wont let it happen after last week i dont think...

It's not like we haven't come close to beating UVA in the modern era. Lost to the Cavaliers by the slimest of margins, 17-16, last time we played them in 2001. Missed extra point and fumble on the Hoos 20 did us in.

IndianaAppMan
September 2nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
It's as good a chance for a 1AA victory over a BCS team as you'll find this year.

That said, let's keep in mind that it was Southern friggin California that destroyed UVA. Last year, LSU destroyed eventual ACC champion 48-7. I'm not implying that Virginia will win the ACC by any means. I'm just saying that this game is still a longshot. I mean, look at what JMU did against Duke. But I'd be really happy for Richmond fans if they can pull it off.

MSU_77
September 2nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
It's not like we haven't come close to beating UVA in the modern era. Lost to the Cavaliers by the slimest of margins, 17-16, last time we played them in 2001. Missed extra point and fumble on the Hoos 20 did us in.

It certainly looks doable, but I hope your special teams coverage is better than McNeese's was against UNC. That was the difference in our game (plus an incredible individual performance by Brandon Tate). Good luck to the Spiders!

UDBlueLotFan
September 2nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Go luck guys. Cavs ARE going down and I believe your players know it!

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 2nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
AFter getting stomped by a very overrated USC team, I think Richmond has a good chance. PWN 'EM.

spdram
September 2nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
I spoke to a couple of players today and they were very clear they were going to C'ville with the intention of winning the game -- no such thing as a moral victory. Gotta love the attitude!

Go Spiders! Go CAA! And GO FCS!