UMass
Lafayette
RI
Bucknell
Coastal Carolina

My current Record is 1-0

Fordham
September 1st, 2008, 05:20 PM
since carney doesn't have his priorities straight enough to keep track of this for us again ;) ... let me state that my current record is 0 - 1.

For this week:

Lehigh
Howard
Holy Cross
Lafayette
Fordham
Duquesne
Colgate

carney2
September 1st, 2008, 09:15 PM
Drake @ Lehigh LEHIGH The Squawks have a lot of questions. Drake doesn't have enough to force any of the answers.

Georgetown @ Howard HOWARD Howard may give scholarships, but that doesn't make them one of the big kids. Unfortunately, the Hoyas aren't ready for this. I wish this game were later in the season.

Massachusetts @ Holy Cross UMASS Randolph takes the ball and ...uh...does exactly what with it? The 'sader defense is apparently unable to get out of the locker room. Could get ugly.

Lafayette @ Marist LAFAYETTE What drunk continues to schedule this mismatch? We won't know any more about the 2008 Pards on Sunday morning than we know right now. Such is the way of scrimmages.

Rhode Island @ Fordham FORDHAM Last year it was a nail biter. Should be easier this time around.

Duquesne @ Bucknell BUCKNELL A neither convinced nor convincing nod for the home team.

Colgate @ Coastal Carolina COLGATE Last week Coastal thought they were watching a jail break as Penn State beat them by 56. No one does hard time in Hamilton so this will be in slower motion.

ngineer
September 1st, 2008, 09:52 PM
Lehigh will eat Drake's Cakes alive. OL line will open long awaited lanes and hope will be alive on South Mountain...37-13.

Georgetown will battle, but Howard will be on a first name basis with victory...27-21

Holy Cross will not be ready for the track meet. Randolph will get his yards, but UMass will run wild...35-17

A 'Marist made in heaven' for Lafayette...45-14

Tough call here. Fordham reading their press clippings too much? URI out for respect and return the favor? Sorry to say, but the PL takes it on the chin again...34-31

Bison get chippy with the Dukes in a ball controlled win...28-17

Both teams smarting from last week..physically and psychologically. Who can rebound the best? Will Scott's return be greeted like the Second Coming? Tilt goes to Biddle and "the 'Gate"....27-24

LeopardFan04
September 2nd, 2008, 02:01 AM
Lehigh
Howard
UMass
Lafayette
Rhode Island
Duquesne
Colgate

Pard94
September 2nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Drake 21 - Lehigh 13 - I'm thinking Lehigh fan's are feeling a little too comfortable with this preceived match up. Especially with all of the questions that remain for the Mountain Hawks.

Howard 35 - Georgetown 14 - I so badly want Georgetown to do well but I think Howard wins this one walking away.

UMASS 42 - Holy Cross 28 - Nobody in the league is hanging with UMASS just yet.

Lafayette 28 - Marist 3 - I think Lafayette's defense is about to embark on an historic season. I don't think Marist has a prayer.

Fordham 21 - URI 14 - In the battle of the Rams the bronx based ones have the edge.

Bucknell 21 - Duquense 17 - I really have no idea how this one will play out. Mental "tie" goes to the PL team

Costal Carolina 35 - Colgate 28 - Colgate is reeling after two early losses but they won't admit it.

letsgopards04
September 2nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
Drake @ Lehigh
12:30 PM

Georgetown @ Howard
1:00 PM

Massachusetts @ Holy Cross
1:00 PM

Lafayette @ Marist
6:00 PM

Rhode Island @ Fordham

Duquesne @ Bucknell

Colgate @ Coastal Carolina
7:00 PM

LehighFan11
September 2nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
Lehigh by 21
Howard by 3
Umass by 10
Lafayette by 28
Fordham by 13
Duquesne by 3
Coastal Carolina by 10

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 2nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
I find it funny that some of the Lafayette fans are taking shots at Lehigh or taking Drake straight up. This team will not lose to Drake and so of those questions (QB??) they have will be erased.

Lehigh 38 Drake 10- Lehigh's defense shuts down Drake and the offense shows good progress from last year

Howard 24 Georgetown 6- Georgetown is well, still Georgetown

Umass 38 Holy Cross 34- To those think that noone in the PL can "hang" with UMASS right now is wrong. Holy Cross will be able to "hang" with the Minutemen but will will come up just short

Lafayette 35 Marist 7- "yawn"

Coastal Carolina 35 Colgate 24- I saw CCU against Penn State and they had some talented players and actually played PSU tough for awhile. Colgate seems to have their fare share of issues. A tough start to the season for the Raiders.

Bucknell 21 Duqeusne 20- Bucknell pulls out a close one at home

Pard94
September 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
I find it funny that some of the Lafayette fans are taking shots at Lehigh or taking Drake straight up. This team will not lose to Drake and so of those questions (QB??) they have will be erased.

Lehigh 38 Drake 10- Lehigh's defense shuts down Drake and the offense shows good progress from last year

Umass 38 Holy Cross 34- To those think that noone in the PL can "hang" with UMASS right now is wrong. Holy Cross will be able to "hang" with the Minutemen but will will come up just short

Coastal Carolina 35 Colgate 24- I saw CCU against Penn State and they had some talented players and actually played PSU tough for awhile. Colgate seems to have their fare share of issues. A tough start to the season for the Raiders.

Does Lehigh have a QB that can consistently lead them to victory. Is the Sophomore that Coen has selected up to the task of assuming a leadership role? Was last year's disappointing season a product of Coach Coen not having players in place that mesh with his offensive and defensive philosophies (i.e. Threatt). If so does he have those types of players now?

Like it or not these are legitimate questions that need to be answered. At least as far as the QB questions are concerened Lafayette had the same ones last year. And as much as fans of the Leopards (myself included) wanted to simply answer in the affirmative...it turned out not to be the case.

From what I hear Drake isn't the marshmallow that some on this board would have you believe. With so many questions lingering for Lehigh, I'm inclined to pick Drake. Just to recap...you have your newly minted sophomore QB leading the team to 38 in its opener. I think my pick against your team is more realistic than your 38 from the 19 year old.

You can preceive my pick as a shot against Lehigh if you like but it really wasn't. When I take shots at Lehigh you'll know it. I don't leave much to the imagination in that regard.

Fordham
September 2nd, 2008, 02:27 PM

ram v. ram abstention noted.

hc12
September 2nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
Re: Patriot League - Week 2 - Yesterday, 08:15 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drake @ Lehigh LEHIGH The Squawks have a lot of questions. Drake doesn't have enough to force any of the answers.

Georgetown @ Howard HOWARD Howard may give scholarships, but that doesn't make them one of the big kids. Unfortunately, the Hoyas aren't ready for this. I wish this game were later in the season.

Massachusetts @ Holy Cross UMASS Randolph takes the ball and ...uh...does exactly what with it? The 'sader defense is apparently unable to get out of the locker room. Could get ugly.

Lafayette @ Marist LAFAYETTE What drunk continues to schedule this mismatch? We won't know any more about the 2008 Pards on Sunday morning than we know right now. Such is the way of scrimmages.

Rhode Island @ Fordham FORDHAM Last year it was a nail biter. Should be easier this time around.

Duquesne @ Bucknell BUCKNELL A neither convinced nor convincing nod for the home team.

Colgate @ Coastal Carolina COLGATE Last week Coastal thought they were watching a jail break as Penn State beat them by 56. No one does hard time in Hamilton so this will be in slower motion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lehigh35 drake10
howard28 georgetown 14
umass 35 hc 34 ot.
fordham28 rhode island 21
duquesne24 bucknell21
lafayette28 marist 14 next year the pards schedule st. xavier high school
coastal carolina28 colgate 21

LehighFan11
September 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Does Lehigh have a QB that can consistently lead them to victory. Is the Sophomore that Coen has selected up to the task of assuming a leadership role? Was last year's disappointing season a product of Coach Coen not having players in place that mesh with his offensive and defensive philosophies (i.e. Threatt). If so does he have those types of players now?

Like it or not these are legitimate questions that need to be answered. At least as far as the QB questions are concerened Lafayette had the same ones last year. And as much as fans of the Leopards (myself included) wanted to simply answer in the affirmative...it turned out not to be the case.

From what I hear Drake isn't the marshmallow that some on this board would have you believe. With so many questions lingering for Lehigh, I'm inclined to pick Drake. Just to recap...you have your newly minted sophomore QB leading the team to 38 in its opener. I think my pick against your team is more realistic than your 38 from the 19 year old.

You can preceive my pick as a shot against Lehigh if you like but it really wasn't. When I take shots at Lehigh you'll know it. I don't leave much to the imagination in that regard.

You tell me but when your opponent beat some division II community college last week 17-13, you should expect to blow them out this week. However, Drake could play alot better or Lehigh could play terrible. But playing the percentages and looking at this game on paper, Lehigh should win comfortable.

crusader11
September 3rd, 2008, 12:41 PM

Uhh, he passes the ball all day long. I can understand your point about the defense having a tough time hanging with Coen and the UMASS offense, but you are foolish to think that Randolph won't get his yards and completions.

crusader11
September 3rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Oh, almost forgot about the picks.

Lehigh 42 Drake 20

Howard 21 Georgetown 13

Holy Cross 42 UMASS 40

URI 20 Fordham 17

Bucknell 24 Duquesne 10

Lafayette 45 Marist 14

Colgate 21 Coastal 20

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Drake at Lehigh Lehigh Mountain Hawks have some holes to fill and questions to answer as Year 3 under Coen begins. I'm not sure a win over the Bulldogs here qualifies as progress to the Lehigh mind, but 1-0 can't look that bad

Georgetown at Howard Howard Don't quite know what to make of this one. The Hoyas still filling in plenty of holes, while I can't say I know much about Howard beyond they're called the Bison and play in the MEAC. I'll stick with home-field advantage in this one

Massachusetts at Holy Cross Massachusetts Like last season, I think Holy Cross has the offensive horses to make even a tough defense like the Minutemen sweat a bit. But do I think they'll pull the upset? I want to say yes, but can't bring myself to do it

Lafayette at Marist Lafayette I hope Lafayette enjoys their view of the Hudson, because this game probably won't be much to look at. I like Marist, and wish good things for them now and in the future. But it'll take more than a wish for them to beat the Leopards

Rhode Island at Fordham Fordham The Bronx Rams are adjusting to having a target on their backs. The Blue Rams are adjusting to a new coach and offensive scheme. Rizzi may yet do great things in Kingston, but an experienced Fordham team wins at home

Duquesne at Bucknell Bucknell Much like Howard, I know little about Duquesne or what to expect from the Dukes, either overall or in their new NEC home. And despite knowing a bit about Bucknell, I really have no idea what to expect from the Bison at all this season. I'll take the home team here as well

Colgate at Coastal Carolina Colgate Who needs the NFL when you've got this on Sunday afternoon? These teams gave up a combined 108 points last Saturday, so there's plenty of wound-licking to be done on the defensive side of the ball. It'll be interesting to see how the passing through of Hurricane Hanna affects the field and the game

Fordham
September 3rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Wonder how the weather will effect the games this week?

LUHawker
September 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Drake at Lehigh - LEHIGH by 17. LU's offense may take some time to get on track this year, but I think there are enough weapons at RB and TE to put up some points. Plus I think the defense will put the O in good field position.

G'Town at Howard - This is my surprise pick of the week. G'Town gets off to good '08 with a win over the MEAC team.

UMass @HC - HC will put up some numbers, but UMass will put up more. I think HC will get behind early but then come back only to see UMASS pull away.

Lafayette @ Marist - Why LC must go on the road for their annual scrimmage with Marist is perplexing to me. Who agreed to that deal at LC? Lafayette by 20.

URI at Fordham - These two teams have had some close ones the past few years and I expect that to continue this year, but URI starts off the new coach's era on the right foot. Plus Fordham seems to shine more when the spotlight isn't on them.

Duquense @ Bucknell - BU shows some promise for a better season this week and finds a way to win.

Colgate @ Coastal Carolina - Both teams come off of big losses, but Coastal took their beating at the hands of Penn State; Colgate at the hands of powerhouse Stony Brook? Coastal "ties up" Scott enough to get the W. Also, it's gonna be hot in Myrtle Beach and the Gaters prefer snow.

ColgateTD
September 3rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
Lehigh
Howard
UMass
Lafayette
Fordham
Bucknell
Colgate

My record: 0-1

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 3rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Fordham 31 URI 27 to go along with my other picks

carney2
September 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Wonder how the weather will effect the games this week?

If the forecast holds, it should disrupt passing games the most, with Holy Cross and Fordham probably having the most problems of the Patriot League teams. (With URI's top runner down with a season ending injury, the BronxRams are probably a stronger favorite even with the spread under water.) Point spreads should be affected in all games.

PeacockRaider
September 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
For the record I picked Colgate last week, I am 0-1

Drake @ Lehigh...think it will be closer than expected but I cant see the Brown & White losing this one, Lehigh 28-17

Georgetown @ Howard...I like the scheduling of the two fb DC playing schools, Bison 17-14

Massachusetts @ Holy Cross...Randolph and company not enough against the minutemen, UMASS 35-27

Lafayette @ Marist...Valley Raider is right, it is a beautiful view of the Hudson, the foxes aren't up to PL level just yet. Leopards 38-10

Rhode Island @ Fordham...RAMS WIN, Fordham that is 24-21.

Duquesne @ Bucknell...The MAAC lives! DUKES and new found schollys edge Bison 19-17

Colgate @ Coastal Carolina...Defense rebounds and Biddle rights the ship to become Colgate's all time winningest coach...gate28-24

Old Cage
September 3rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Grass field and heavy rain. Shouldn't you guys be thinking that the final UMass/HC score will be more like 6-4 than the big numbers you are posting?

Franks Tanks
September 3rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Drake @ Lehigh--- Lehigh 35-10. I think the squaks will be in for a tough year but Drake only beat Upper Iowa by 3 points last week so they are bad

Georgetown @ Howard-- Howard 17-13. Howard in a close one over their cross city rivals

Massachusetts @ Holy Cross - Umass 24-4. The Cross will have a solid year but UMass is just too good.

Lafayette @ Marist -Pards 49 -10. If the weather is terrible we may only score 35.

Rhode Island @ Fordham -Fordham 31-21. The Bronx Rams will be strong this year and RI doesnt quite have their crap together just yet.

Duquesne @ Bucknell -Duquense 28-10. Bucknell needs to show me their offence can move the ball before I can pick them for anything

Colgate @ Coastal Carolina -Coastal 35- 28. Gate and Biddle will play hard and tough but their D just cant hang with a pretty good Coastal team.

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
Massachusetts @ Holy Cross - Umass 24-4. The Cross will have a solid year but UMass is just too good.

I don't normally nitpick people's picks, but are you trying to suggest Holy Cross will score 2 safeties? xconfusedx

Redfox97
September 3rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Enjoy the Marist bashing now. We will be a force in the near future. (Just not this year.)

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Enjoy the Marist bashing now. We will be a force in the near future. (Just not this year.)

Well, you're playing Lafayette this year xwhistlex

Post some more

Red Fox fans welcome (says the Poughkeepsie native) xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
September 3rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
I don't normally nitpick people's picks, but are you trying to suggest Holy Cross will score 2 safeties? xconfusedx

HA! that was intended to be a 14

LCFan21
September 4th, 2008, 08:21 AM
LEHIGH grinds it out in 2nd half riding strong effort from D
HOWARD
UMASS puts up big points on HC's defense
LC - possible shut out here maybe give up 6 or 7 pts.
Fordham runs better with injury to URI's top producer
Bucknell in close one
Coastal draws a get out of jail free card and passes go first

Current Record 1-0

LCFan21
September 4th, 2008, 08:22 AM
LEHIGH grinds it out in 2nd half riding strong effort from D
HOWARD
UMASS puts up big points on HC's defense
LC - possible shut out here maybe give up 6 or 7 pts.
Fordham runs better with injury to URI's top producer
Bucknell in close one
Coastal draws a get out of jail free card and passes go first

**Current Record 1-0

carney2
September 4th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Here's hoping you are correct. What do you base this on?

Old Cage
September 4th, 2008, 10:09 AM
ValleyRaider - As to your question about Holy Cross or anyone scoring two safeties in a game: in our monsoon game at URI last year we scored THREE safeties.

Problem was, that was six more points than we scored any other way.

ngineer
September 4th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Lehigh will eat Drake's Cakes alive. OL line will open long awaited lanes and hope will be alive on South Mountain...37-13.

Georgetown will battle, but Howard will be on a first name basis with victory...27-21

Holy Cross will not be ready for the track meet. Randolph will get his yards, but UMass will run wild...35-17

A 'Marist made in heaven' for Lafayette...45-14

Tough call here. Fordham reading their press clippings too much? URI out for respect and return the favor? Sorry to say, but the PL takes it on the chin again...34-31

Bison get chippy with the Dukes in a ball controlled win...28-17

Both teams smarting from last week..physically and psychologically. Who can rebound the best? Will Scott's return be greeted like the Second Coming? Tilt goes to Biddle and "the 'Gate"....27-24

At this moment, I reman with my picks, but my score could really be far off based upon what I'm hearing the weather will be like this weekend...xsmhx

Ken_Z
September 5th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Drake @ Lehigh: Lehigh wins 24 - 20. Go Lehigh TU Owl proclaims the engineers return to dominance. like the Laf fans last year, he is in for a rude awakening very soon.

Georgetown @ Howard: uggh, Howard wins 17 - 10. DFW Hoya explains this is because they don't put much money into the program, then challenges Bison 137 to a duel for saying that G'town is against adopting scholarships. DFW then delivers a knockout blow when he reminds me that they may have lost to Howard, but they have beaten those other Bison twice.

Massachusetts @ Holy Cross: HC fans are rejoicing over the reinstatement of the basketball series between these two schools. unfortunately, they fall short on the gridiron. UMess wins 35 - 27

Lafayette @ Marist: PL 41 PL wanabee 14. carney showing the wisdom of old age refrains from announcing Lafayette is back, however, also exhibiting the cantankerous nature of the aged, he lashes out at me in some unpredictable (and wholy unprovoked i might add) manner.

Rhode Island @ Fordham: Forham wins 28 - 14. on the Fordham boards rambacker proclaims that they are the only NATIONAL school in the PL and need to leave immediately to join the Big East, and by the way, the only reason their other 26 athletic teams suck is 'cause they were in the Patriot League a mere 12 years ago.

Duquesne @ Bucknell: BISON WIN 28 - 21. the beginning of world domination

Colgate @ Coastal Carolina: Coastal wins 24 - 17. a long year for the gaters.

bison137
September 5th, 2008, 11:26 AM
LU 23 Drake 20

Howard 24 Georgetown 10

UMass 27 HC 17

LC 38 Marist 10

Fordham 24 RI 17

Bucknell 20 Duquesne 16 - BU offense is a huge question mark with injuries having seriously hurt what was already a very inexperienced line. Four of the five starting OL have never been in for even one snap before.

Coastal 27 Colgate 17

CrusaderBob
September 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM
As the Dalai Lama from last year’s PL pick-‘em contest,

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33102

I suppose I am obligated to participate this year, but first some words of wisdom for all of you

Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

And now the picks:

Rain is a great equalizer, so blow-outs will be minimized but I think form will generally hold.

Lehigh
Howard
Lafayette
Fordham
Bucknell
Coastal Carolina

And now the PL Game of the Week Pick …

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Massachusetts @ Holy Cross

For the second straight year the way some of you are talking/picking Divine Intervention is needed for the Crusaders to prevail. Fortunately, for the second straight year I have received Divine Inspiration in this pick. From the Book of Osmanski (with apologies to the Book of Samuel):

And lo, Dominic put his hands under center and took from his center the football, aimed it at his receiver, then slung it and smote the Minutemen. And the ball sank into his receiver’s hands in the end zone, so that all the Minutemen fell upon their faces to the ground.

Forecast calls for rain ending in the morning with a break until the heavy stuff starts Saturday night. A soft field but not a quagmire slows down UMass enough for HC to “keep” up with the Minutemen.

Holy Cross is the pick

DFW HOYA
September 5th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Assuming all games are played...

Lehigh
Howard
Massachusetts
Lafayette
Rhode Island
Duquesne
Coastal Carolina

carney2
September 5th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Drake @ Lehigh: Lehigh wins 24 - 20. Go Lehigh TU Owl proclaims the engineers return to dominance. like the Laf fans last year, he is in for a rude awakening very soon.

Georgetown @ Howard: uggh, Howard wins 17 - 10. DFW Hoya explains this is because they don't put much money into the program, then challenges Bison 137 to a duel for saying that G'town is against adopting scholarships. DFW then delivers a knockout blow when he reminds me that they may have lost to Howard, but they have beaten those other Bison twice.

Massachusetts @ Holy Cross: HC fans are rejoicing over the reinstatement of the basketball series between these two schools. unfortunately, they fall short on the gridiron. UMess wins 35 - 27

Lafayette @ Marist: PL 41 PL wanabee 14. carney showing the wisdom of old age refrains from announcing Lafayette is back, however, also exhibiting the cantankerous nature of the aged, he lashes out at me in some unpredictable (and wholy unprovoked i might add) manner.

Rhode Island @ Fordham: Forham wins 28 - 14. on the Fordham boards rambacker proclaims that they are the only NATIONAL school in the PL and need to leave immediately to join the Big East, and by the way, the only reason their other 26 athletic teams suck is 'cause they were in the Patriot League a mere 12 years ago.

Duquesne @ Bucknell: BISON WIN 28 - 21. the beginning of world domination

Colgate @ Coastal Carolina: Coastal wins 24 - 17. a long year for the gaters.

God help us! He's been released from the institution and given access to a keyboard.

jdb037
September 5th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Lehigh 31 Drake 17

Howard 13 Georgetown 10

UMass 38 HC 21

Lafayette 35 Marist 7

Fordham 21 RI 12

Bucknell 14 Duquesne 10 - Bison win a close one and continue to have Duquesne's number. Defense really steps up but offense is gonna be a little rusty in this one.

Coastal Carolina 41 Colgate 13

LCFan21
September 5th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Big Hitter the Lamma!!!

Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

Here is wishing you best of luck and hopefully this one does not end with you standing soaking wet - arms towards the sky and screaming "RAT FARTS!"

colorless raider
September 5th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Lehigh
G'town
UMASS
Bucknell
Lafayette
Fordham

Go...gate
September 5th, 2008, 07:43 PM

Welcome, Redfox97, to the FCS show that never ends!! :)

Go...gate
September 5th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Still waiting for the VoyForums pick-em, but Marky D. Lafayette is apparantly still serving his sentence, so here goes...

I'm 0-1 so far, as well.

Weather definitely a factor; lots of relatively low scores, with missed PAT's and two-point conversions tomorrow and Sunday.

Lehigh 20, Drake 12

Howard 21, Georgetown 19

Massachusetts 32, Holy Cross 21

Lafayette 27, Marist 6

Fordham 22, URI 20

Bucknell 23, Duquesne 14

Coastal Carolina 24, Colgate 16

bison137
September 5th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Forecast calls for rain ending in the morning with a break until the heavy stuff starts Saturday night. A soft field but not a quagmire slows down UMass enough for HC to “keep” up with the Minutemen.

You must be seeing a different weather forecast than the one on WeatherChannel/Weather.com. That site has a 70% chance of rain and thunderstorms at game time. At least the probability is down from the 100% it is in the first part of the morning.

ngineer
September 5th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Current weather forecast for Lehigh Valley is scattered showers in the morning, but the real heavy stuff isn't supposed to arrive until about 3-4 p.m. at the earliest. With the earlier kickoff (12:30 p.m.), we may be able to get the game in without a deluge..Certainly a good test for Lehigh's new natural grass surface.

carney2
September 6th, 2008, 07:55 AM
At the very least, the night games won't be worth diddly and won't prove much of anything one way or the other. Just slop bowls. Not even valid scrimmages.

carney2
September 6th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Here's what the "pros" think:

Drake @ Lehigh - Lehigh by 21 1/2

Georgetown @ Howard - Howard by 8 1/2

Massachusetts @ Holy Cross - UMass by 13

Lafayette @ Marist - Lafayette by 27 1/2

Rhode Island @ Fordham - URI by 5 1/2

Duquesne @ Bucknell - Bucknell by 7

Colgate @ Coastal Carolina - CCU by 5 1/2

Fordham
September 6th, 2008, 08:58 AM
very frustrated that we didn't move our game up to somewhere between 11 and 1pm.

URI fans - did your team stay overnight or are the driving down today? That may explain things

carney2
September 6th, 2008, 11:34 AM
At the very least, the night games won't be worth diddly and won't prove much of anything one way or the other. Just slop bowls. Not even valid scrimmages.

I take it back. At least I take one of them back. It comes to my attention that Marist has installed FieldTurf. At Lafayette's Fisher Stadium, this same surface is supposedly able to handle up to 22 inches of water. Basic running game may be OK in Poughkeepsie no matter what the weather gods throw out there. Passing game and fumbleitis are a different story, however.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2008, 11:35 AM
The weather right now for Lehigh-Drake doesn't look too bad.

brownbear
September 6th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Lehigh
UMass
URI
Lafayette
Bucknell
Howard
CCU

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Any word on Lafayette/Marist? Still 7-6?

LeopardFan04
September 6th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Currently 14-6 Leopards in the 3rd.

ngineer
September 6th, 2008, 09:23 PM
The weather right now for Lehigh-Drake doesn't look too bad.

Spoke a little too soon there Owl!:D I 'weathered' the deluge and we looked great before the conditions started to deteriorate in the second quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I think the league is quite a bit better as a hole this year compared to last. Holy Cross i think is even better on offense this year although their defense will still probably cost them another game or two. Bucknell realized there's a forward pass which might push them towards a winning season. Lafayette seemed like they dominated an inferior opponent in crap conditions like Lehigh did. Next week i think we'll see where Lehigh stands. They'd do well to equal HC's performance today.

Bogus Megapardus
September 7th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Currently 14-6 Leopards in the 3rd.

Final: Lafayette 28 - Marist 6.

I actually sat through this game in the rain. Very sloppy play by the Pards, including a bad snap on a punt and a blocked punt. Marist looked like they had a few tricks ready in the first quarter, but the Pards simply out-muscled Marist the rest of the way. Maurice White was largely unstoppable. The Pards in general were taller, bigger and faster than Marist, but Marist did not look anything like the pushovers of years past. I saw impressive play at times from the offensive line and from the linebackers. The defensive secondary was Marist's weak spot.

Marist has a nice new field and all chair-back seating on the home side. The visitor's side has some stone steps along a grass slope. I'd say that there were about 700-800 people at the start of the game, but most left at the half. The public address announcer was annoyingly loud. Parking was easy, free and close to the field.

Bogus Megapardus
September 7th, 2008, 05:10 AM

Just an impression, RedFox - My daughter now is a freshman at Marist. As a Lafayette alum, I (naturally) went to see the game with her in Poughkeepsie. I had the opportunity to have dinner with her beforehand in the student dining hall. I managed a small-sample, un-scientific poll of students, all of whom scoffed at the notion of attending a football game that was a sixty-second walk from their dorm, with free student admission, on a Saturday night (albeit in a 'slight' rain) at a great, comfortable new facility.

Hopefully, Marist's new conference affiliation and improved play will draw more fans. That new affiliation, however, would seem to preclude Ivy or Patriot opponents in the future, so I'm guessing this was the last we'll see of the Lafayette-Marist "series" in football.

carney2
September 7th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Final: Lafayette 20 - Marist 6.

CORRECTION: Lafayette 28, Marist 6 was the final.

After about 20 minutes of trying to play actual football in the incredible deluge, the Pards gave up and used their size advantage in the trenches to bulldoze the Red Foxes up and down the field. Tailback Maurice White followed the big uglies to gain 212 yards and score two of the 4 touchdowns. Personally, I got only two things from this game: (1) the Leopards are much bigger than Marist; and (2) the Lafayette defense may just live up to advanced billing and be better than last year. Marist's only score came on a one yard scoring drive after a blocked punt.

Bogus Megapardus
September 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM
CORRECTION: Lafayette 28, Marist 6 was the final.

Correct - I mis-typed it.

hc12
September 7th, 2008, 12:18 PM

carney, randolph uh does what with it?oh puts up 42 on umass tough d!The defense did get out of the locker room,but took a wrong turn at the gate.Could get ugly? what a game!

carney2
September 7th, 2008, 08:55 PM

carney, randolph uh does what with it?oh puts up 42 on umass tough d!The defense did get out of the locker room,but took a wrong turn at the gate.Could get ugly? what a game!

I stand humbled, with egg on my face. Randolph will make a believer of me yet.

letsgopards04
September 8th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Good week all around from the league with only Holy Cross losing.